8 Month old Feeding Schedule

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

8 Month old Feeding Schedule

Hi,

I wanted to take a poll to see what the feeding schedule of your 8 months are/were.

I remember DD having a bottle When she woke up, Breakfast, Lunch, Bottle early afternoon, Dinner and then a bottle before bed.  So three Bottles and Three Meals.

DS is on the same schedule but I feel like he needs another bottle in there somewhere.   The only issue is I dont know where to put it because it would throw off a meal.   Here is roughly (depending on when he wakes) his schedule.

5:30am - 6:30am - 6 ounces bottle
    8:30-9:00am - Breakfast
    11:30-12 noon - Lunch
    2:30 - 6 ounce bottle
    5-5:30pm - Dinner
    7:30 - 8:00 - 6 Ounce Bottle

I am thinking I should try to get another bottle in there during breakfast and lunch but I am afraid he would not be hungry for lunch.  On the other hand, he is only 8 months months so I know the formula is still more important that the food at this point so if he did not eat lunch, that would be ok?

Let me know your thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: 8 Month old Feeding Schedule

I used to give bottles with meals. I can't remember the schedule exactly, but I would give 1/2 the bottle, then the meal and then give thre rest of the bottle if they were still hungry.
    So maybe offer some formula with breakfast or lunch.  Try 3 or 4 ounces and see how it goes?
    I seem to remember something about 2.5 ounces per pound of weight at that age. So do the math and see if he's getting enough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi Quad:

I am interested in the answers you get.  Here is my 7 month old's current schedule (he's getting over a bad cold and still mildly congested).  He used to take 6oz too, but now he's at 4 to 5oz.

08:30am nurse or bottle (4-5oz)
    11:30am nurse or bottle (4-5oz)
    02:30pm lunch and smaller bottle (2-3oz)
    04:30pm bottle (4-5oz)
    06:30pm dinner and try smaller bottle (1-2oz)
    08:30pm nurse (my guess is 1-2oz because he's usually very sleepy)

My DS usually loves the solids and is very distracted on the bottle or breast.  I'm nervous to add in another meal because he's liquid intake is already so low.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks, I just started Lunch this week and now I am thinking it is too much and I need to take a step back with that and give him a bottle instead.   He has not been taking the bottles that well either.  Usually either the afternoon or nighttime bottle he is not finshing. 

Maybe I will try the bottle with the meals that way he also has something to drink with the meal. 

Keep the suggestions coming!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi Quad!
    Since we introduced solids more than once a day, I have pretty much been confused non-stop about food :o)  I would say that you don't need to stagger the bottles and meals quite so much.  DD is 1 and even up until a couple weeks ago her schedule was like this.  There was sometimes a small gap (half hour maybe) between a bottle and bfast or lunch, but mostly due to the logistics of preparing the food once bottle is done.

6:30 BF
    8:30 6 oz bottle at daycare followed by solids
    ~12:00 6 oz bottle followed by solids
    4:00 6 oz bottle
    5:30 dinner at home
    6:30 BF

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Hi Quad!

My DD is a little over a year but we also were a formula family. Like you said formula is more important then food right now. But around 8 months we were on this schedule:

5:30 - 6:30 - 6 oz formula
    9 - Breakfast (which was usually 1/2 fruit puree and yogurt)
    10:30- 11 - 8 oz formula
    noon - 1 - Lunch (some sort of veg puree, sometimes a meat puree if she was really hungry)
    2:30-3 - 8 oz formula
    5 - Dinner (mixed cereal - as she got older mixed with fruit)
    7-7:15 - 8 oz formula

I think adding another bottle between b-fast and lunch might work for you. I'm sure he will still be hungry for something at lunch, even if he doesn't even if it isn't as much as usual.
    Misslily noted above that you should multiply 2.5 times his weight to get the amount he needs. I have read that dozens of times myself but the math never worked out for us. But, I think I've read that you shouldn't go over 32 oz/day. So at 8 months my DD was somewhere around 18 lbs which would = 45 oz formula. I'd have to hook her up to an IV to get that much into her :)

Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Yes - I should have mentioned that I don't think you go over 32 ounces!
    Sorry about that. It's amazing what you forget by the time they are 2 1/2!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

2.5 ounces times the weight?!  Even 32 ounces is a LOT of milk/formula... at least for my little buddy (8 months). 

As a "rule" (in quotes because how well can you really stick to a rule with a baby?!)  is that we feed him milk (breastmilk) before his meals, so he fills up there before he eats his solids.  That way we know we're getting his nutrition in him and the food at this stage is really for fun/flavor. 

Our schedule kind of looks like this:

6am: nurse (quantity..???)
    7am: a combination of grains and fruits
    9 am: 5oz bottle at daycare
    10 am: grains and fruits/veggies
    12: 5oz bottle
    3pm: 5oz bottle
    5pm: veggie combo
    6:30: nurse (quantity?)

So adding all of that up, including estimates of what he gets while nursing, I think that's only 20-25oz for my 21 pound baby! 

While we're talking about 8 month olds... how/when did you guys introduce yogurt and meat purees?  So far we are only on pureed fruits and veggies (both store-bought and homemade).  And finger foods freak him out... I think it'll be a while before he's into those! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout - I think after 9 months we introduced protein (chicken, beef, egg yolk), cottage cheese, and then yogurt. The yogurt seemed to make her "go", so we haven't done that again, except in those purees that are fruit/yogurt/oatmeal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Sprout: Yeah, my pedi has us wait until 9 months for dairy and meat.  We never gave DD meat puree but she LOVES yogurt.  1 a day everyday.  I can't wait for DS to try it!!  

I'm glad to see most babies are hovering around the 20oz mark for breastmilk/formula per day.  Makes me feel better about what DS is taking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I have a chart from my friend's ped that says 6-8 mos 24-36 oz and 8-12 mos 16-24 oz. At 8 mos she was having a wake up bottle, mid morning bottle, lunch, late afternoon bottle, dinner and bed time bottle. We introduced breakfast around 9 mos. Then at about 10 1/2 mos she dropped the morning bottle on her own and takes around 18 oz in 3 6 oz bottles. At home she won't drink all 6 oz in one sitting. Is this a sign that she ready to drink her milk more with her meals and less as a separate feeding? She'll be 1 in less than 2 weeks (Yikes)!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Sprout, according to everything I have read yogurt is okay after 6 months (not all dairy - just yogurt which has proteins that are easier to break down than most dairy...or something like that). I think at DDs 9 month appt her ped said it was okay to try meat. Egg yolks are okay after 6 months and whites after a year. Although take that with a grain of salt because everyone's ped says something different and I think the "current" thought is that you can introduce any food to babies after 6 months as long as there isn't a history of allergies in your family. Excluding cow's milk and anything that is a choking hazard. 

Guidelines can be found at wholesomebabyfood.com - a website which has been referenced often on this board. Lots of great info.

Liv - I can't answer your question. My DD has water with her meals and milk in the AM/PM and with snacks. But I have to say she likes her AM/PM milk a lot and doesn't really care for it with snacks. She is about 13 months.

Sections
Shortcuts