A caution about the new Prevnar vaccine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

A caution about the new Prevnar vaccine

I brought my DD to her 2 year appointment and her doctor suggested that she should get the Prevnar vaccine.  It is a MMR vaccine which the CDC is pushing because it contains protection against 13 strains instead of 7 strains that the old vaccine protected against.  Even though, at 2 years old, she was already vaccinated with MMR, I decided extra coverage would be good considering I have an infant at home. 

My DD, who has never had a site reaction or even the slightest fever from a single vaccination, ended up in the ER with the biggest site reaction I could imagine as well as a fever of 102 for 3 days.  Her doctor said that they are seeing such strong immune responses in children to this vaccine that they are reporting it to the drug manufacturer.

Use caution when considering this vaccination.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: A caution about the new Prevnar vaccine

missJB, that is so scary. What is a site reaction? Is it a rash? Did your doc say why she pushed you to get it after other kids had reactions, or was your kid one of the first? Is your daughter okay now?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

Lemon-It was VERY scary.  The spot on her leg where she got the shot swelled up to the size of a baseball and was hard as a rock.  It was very red and extremely hot to the touch.  I think she was one of the first kids to get this because the practice just recieved it a week prior to her visit.  If they plan on reporting it to the drug manufacturer, I surely hope they hold off on suggesting other kids get it.

She is doing fine now, thanks for asking.  It was just so scary because she never had even the slightest reaction before and this time was so severe and lasted for 3 days.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Prevnar is NOT MMR.  It is a pneumococcal vaccine that we have been giving for the past probably 6 years.  I am sure your daughter had received prevnar at least 3 times prior.  I think you are referring the the pneumovax (covers more strains of strep pneumo) which is given mostly in higher risk kids at 2 - i.e. kids with asthma and people over 65.  Anyway, sorry to hear about the reaction but I think you are confusing a couple of vaccines.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

That's terrible. I'm so glad she is doing better now.

What is pneumococcal? Do I even want to know?

The vaccines are very confusing. I don't try to understand them, I have to admit. That's the pediatrician's job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD received the 13 strain pneumococcal vacine at her 15 month appt back in April and she did fine.  She has also received the 7 strain one four times before that, birth, 2, 4 and 6 months.  She has never had any issues with any shots he has received to date.  

lemon-I am not sure exactly what pneumococcal is either, but If I remember correctly the doctor told me since they started giving this vacinne they have seen less ear infections?   Dont quote me on that though, it may have been another vacinne she was getting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miakate. Show miakate's posts

It's a vaccine against pnuemonia. Here is some info:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/default.htm

I recommend trying to understand the different vaccines and their benefits/risks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Please help if you can. I have been miserable since I had a flu vaccine last Tues.. I went to the M.D. for a different reason(menopausal symptoms) and didn't mention I had a cold. I agreed to a flu shot, and have felt awful ever since. As a nurse, I don't want to seem to be a hyperchondriac, but I've seen mistakes made. and am worried. I have all the symptoms of a flu, except the high fever. I will call my M.D. tomorrow if I don't feel better. Has anyone had this reaction to this vaccine.bg.