Advice for getting 1 yo to nap longer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Advice for getting 1 yo to nap longer

DD is 13 months and naps twice a day.  At daycare, she takes two naps for at least 90 mins each... But on the weekends, she usually takes two 45 min naps.  Once in a while she will sleep for 60-90 mins, but it's completely unpredictable.

Most of the time, I am fine with this arrangement.  She seems to be doing great and we put her to bed an hour earlier on weekends to make up for the short naps.  (So on weekends she sleeps from 6 to 6.)  If this is her normal, I suppose that is fine...
    But I can't stop thinking that I am doing something wrong and she needs longer naps.  What about when she drops a nap?  Will she then only take one 45 minute nap on weekends?? 

Does anyone have advice for encouraging her to sleep longer?  We used to run the fan for white noise, but gave that up when it clearly didn't make a difference.  Sometimes I will try to rock her back to sleep, but usually she wakes up when I try to put her back down.

Does anyone have experience with a baby dropping down to one 45 minute nap?  Or the opposite experience of dropping to one and having it lengthen to 1-2 hours?

Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Advice for getting 1 yo to nap longer

Do her bed and wakeup times change on the weekend?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Hi Fram,

I have the exact opposite problem - my DD (same age as yours) naps great at home and not great at DC. I know what her problem is, the environment is totally different. At home, she is in her crib in a dark room with her ocean sounds playing (same as at night). At DC she is in a PNP which is in a separate, darkened room but it is still next to the toddler room. So she is distracted by the playing and fun in the toddler room. She sleeps 90-120 min on weekends 2x a day at home, and only as little as 25-50 min 2x day at daycare. So at night lately she has been a bear. Not to hijack your thread but I am have looking for answers too.
    They tried moving her to one nap when she moved to the toddler room, and she did well, napping from 75 min to 120 between 12-2. But the problem with that is that she would come home cranky because she would be up for so long until her bedtime (7PM). I am considering just having them go back to that. I'm not sure which was worse.

In regard to YOUR situation (you mean it isn't all about me???), can you try and recreate the environment your DC has at home? Do they have a mobile she likes or music playing? Could she be waking up hungry b/c at DC they do lunch/snacks at different times than you do? Sounds like putting her to bed early is working for you so maybe say if it ain't broke? She will probably go down to one nap as you mentioned by 18 mo or so, so stick it out until then?

Good luck!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I think my DD has completely different sleep patterns at daycare than she does at home, even though we try to do the same.  At daycare, I think the peer pressure does something for her (everyone's lying down), as opposed to home or at her grandparents' when it's just her alone in the crib missing out on fun stuff.  

It was around 14 months when daycare started to move DD to one nap, and I found that to be a huge help at home.  We now are really good on weekends and grandparent days to put her down around 12:30 and she'll be out until about 3.  Maybe try moving her to one nap on weekends and see if it helps? 

I definitely think it's one of those things that you just have to try a million ways and find what works. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Fram, like LuvR, my DD has completely different nap patterns/schedules at daycare than at home.  I've mentioned this before somewhere else but my DD uses a pacifier for naps at home but she doesn't need one at daycare.  Go figure, right? Your DD is probably so much more stimulated at daycare than she is at home and that leads to longer naps.  It's impossible to recreate exactly the environment she has at daycare, so my advice is try not to compare the two environments because they truly are different.  As long as she's happy at home over the weekends, she is likely getting enough daytime sleep, and it sounds like she's sleeping well at night too.

As for the other part of your question about moving to one nap - My DD was not a great napper for the first year of her life.  She would, at most, nap for an hour two separate times a day.  Usually it was shorter, like 45 mins, at a time.  However. when we switched to one nap at about 17-18 months, she became a wonderful napper.  She now naps for 2 to 2.5 hours regularly each day and has been doing so for the past 6 months (oh, how sad I will be when this phase ends!!).  So, yes, based on my experience, I'd think that your DD will sleep longer once her naps are consolidated into one.  YOu may have a few rough weeks as she makes the transition but that's normal.  While 13 months is a little early to make the change, it's not unheard of, and I think a lot of toddlers are napping 1x/day by 15 months.

One more thing is to make sure she has a favorable nap environment.  What worked really well for us was to install room darkening shades (better IMO than curtains) that really make the room almost pitch black even on a sunny day.  (We bought ours off the shelf at home depot - not the most attractive but they work and were fairly cheap).  Our DD sometimes wakes up during naptime and we hear her stirring around but generally goes back to sleep if we just leave her alone in the dark environment. The other thing we use is a glow seahorse toy made by fisher price.  It's under $15 and when pressed it's stomach glows and it plays a soothing song.  Our DD can and does turn it on during naps and at night if she wakes up.  She uses it at home and at daycare too, definitely a worthy purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Ocean-Wonders-Soothe-Seahorse/dp/B000W3XEQM

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Interesting point...But I can't stop thinking that I am doing something wrong and she needs longer naps.

Why the feeling you are doing something wrong?

Is she cranky?  Is she not able to pay attention because she's tired, or are her hungry times getting off kilter?  Does she conk out at times so random that you can't plan your day?

If you don't see an actual negative experience from the shorter nap, then I wouldn't get too worried about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I don't have much advice regarding differences between home and daycare, but I will tell you that she your LO makes the switch to one nap over the next few months, it will almost certainly become a longer nap. Both of my kids were short-nappers during the time they took mOre than one, and both transitioned to naps of 90ish minutes once they were down to one. Nap transitions are always rough, but I think the pattern I saw with my kids was very typical of toddler naps. HTH a little. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. You're just more fun than DC to her. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thank you so much for the info/tips!  I am really really really relieved to hear that some LOs switched to one longer nap.

Purple - She really does seem fine, other than being ready for bed earlier.  I just can't stop worrying about it every single weekend!  I truly don't beat myself up about it a ton, but sometimes when she wakes up after 45 mins, I feel like I failed somehow.  Like I didn't time it perfectly or something.  Completely irrational.

I think the timing of her meals and naps is pretty much the same, so I don't think hunger is the problem.  But y'all have me wondering if I should try to stimulate her more so that she will be more tired for her naps, maybe get her outside.  (I do, of course, take her outside, but it tends to be later in the day by the time we get out.)
    I will also ask daycare if she still uses the fan for white noise and maybe try that again.  I don't think that will help, but if there is anything I have learned about parenting, and especially sleep, it is that you have to be willing to experiment!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

You aren't "failing" unless there is an important need not being met, and you could meet it but don't or can't (and don't get help).

We all fall into the well of Mom Worry once in a while--but I hate to see someone getting down on themselves over something minor, for very long. 

Is there something stressing you and you find yourself focusing on this instead, or is someone on your case about it?  Too much mental energy looking for something to pay attention to?  I think you will feel better if you find a way to redirect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I don't know about Fram, but people were frequently telling me that DD should take longer naps and that it was important for her "cognitive development".  Even though there was nothing visible wrong.
    It was super annoying!!

Fram, we also had the same situation - she napped twice per day, 45 minutes each time at home.  When she went to one nap, it became much longer.
    Occasionally now (20 months) she'll only nap for 1 hour, but it's almost always at least 90 minutes and often 2 or 2 1/2 hours.
    She also naps longer at day care.  I think they're just wiped out from the stimulation!
    Best of luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

It may just be all the stimulation at day care. I find my twins nap much better on days we go to playgroup, or spend a lot of time outside, or even run 2 or 3 errands. I know just getting them in and out of the car tires me out!
    Sometimes when we are just at home they don't nap very well. I think it's just because they aren't tired enough.
    As long as she's napping and sleeping well at night I wouldn't worry about it. And yes - when she goes to one nap it will lengthen. It may take a while to do so, and you can put her down earlier at night during the transition. But it will lengthen. My twins are 2.9 and still sleep 2 hours in the afternoon

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

See misslily above for what I was about to type ^^^^

Good luck.  There might be a few weeks when she does actually transition from 2 to 1 nap where it's shaky and inconsistent (some days she seems to need 2, some days she only needs 1, some days she needs 2 but only takes 1 and is cranky).

Once the 1-nap thing is solid and established you'll feel less tied to the house and more free to get out and have fun (and do errands. sigh), just in time for warm weather!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just chiming in as another one who has 2 different schedules... actually 3.  He does daycare 3 days a week, and on those days, wakes at 6am and can go the whole morning just fine until their one nap at 12pm (and will sleep two hours) and then bedtime 6:30-7pm.  On weekends he can barely make it past
    10am, will sleep two hours and still be fine for bedtime at 6:30-7.  With my MIL two days, she puts him to nap for 30-40 minutes at 8am (have no idea why...) and then will get him down sometime around 1pm for about 1.5 hrs. 

You'd think he be totally screwed up!  I guess I'm glad he's flexible :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks again everyone!
    I try not to worry about it too much or beat myself up about it, since the routine seems to work for her.  I think I put it all on myself because it's mostly just she and I hanging out on the weekends, so it's me putting her down for naps and me "failing" to get her to sleep "long enough".

Again, I am sooo relieved to hear that some LOs switch to one long nap.  I thought that was a complete long shot... We'll see!  It would really be nice to be able to relax for more than like 20 minutes at a time on the weekend!  (Because clearly you have to unload the dishwasher or throw in a load of laundry before you can sit down and enjoy nap time.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DH was home this weekend, so he put DD down for both naps on Saturday.  She slept for TWO HOURS both times.  I put her down Sunday morning and she slept for FORTY MINUTES.  Ahhhhhhh! 
    I tell myself that she wants to spend time with mama.  Makes me feel slightly less frustrated :o)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Fram, I am in the same boat. If my parents are watching DD at our house, she will take two 2 hr naps. Then they are bored. If it's me putting her down, I can get 45 mins to 1.5 hr if lucky. You know how quickly 45 mins goes when you have a long to-do list! At school they switched DD to 1 nap a day right when she turned 1. She sleeps there for a solid 2 hours so far everyday. She is also a lot busier in the new room. They go outside twice a day and do more scheduled activities. At home she is transitioning. Sometimes she still needs that morning nap, and I am not sure how she goes from 6am-12pm without napping at school.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Fram, I feel you on the naps. DD is 3.5, and on weekends she hasn't been napping at all for the last several months. At daycare she still takes about a 90 minute nap. The last couple of weekends we have had evening plans where we really wanted/needed DD to be well rested, so DH tried putting her down for a nap (until now I have been almost exclusively the one responsible for naps) and wouldn't you know it, she went down for a nap every (well 3) time, and slept about an hour. I was floored! So now it will be DH's job on the weekends to put DD down for naps. 
    On the one hand, I am so aggravated she won't go down for me, but on the other, I am glad to not have that responsibility anymore.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Fra - just wanted to let you know you're not alone. All of a sudden the twins (2.9years) are napping on and off. They seem to not nap every 3rd or 4th day. On the days they won't nap, DD has night terrors at night. So not only do I not get a rest, but I get a horrible night's sleep as well. (sigh).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Both my kids went from two naps to one long nap in the afternoon. My daughter still does one nap in the afternooon at age 2. She definitely sleeps longer at home (between 2-3 hrs) than she does at daycare (around an hour or so). I think, like some of the others discussed, it's because at home she's in her crib and it's quiet. At daycare it's more noisy and she's in a pnp.

Sections
Shortcuts