afternoon nap interruption

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

afternoon nap interruption

Hi ladies,

I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this, but my daughter is having trouble napping because she's started p**ping in the afternoon. Her nap is from 1-3:30, but today it was interrupted twice by p**p so she didn't sleep at all. We have to keep her on that schedule because it's her naptime at her babysitter's as well, and it's also when she's naturally ready to go down. Should we change her eating schedule? I was feeding her right before nap so that she'd have a full stomach and sleep longer, but maybe that's causing a problem? Should I feed her earlier?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Re: afternoon nap interruption

I wouldn't think the food you give her right before her nap would pass through her fast enough to p**p during her nap so maybe it is what she is eating in the morning or earlier in the day.  I don't really have a lot of experience (DS is only 6 months) but would it help for her to have some of the more binding foods in the morning to hold off the p**p til later?  I don't even know if it works that way or if that is even possible. 

If the food is passing through her that fast maybe changing up what she eats for lunch would help solve the problem...since it just started is there anything that has changed about her lunch?  Maybe some food you are giving her during lunch can be given after lunch because it goes through her so quick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Maybe I'll feed her beets to check the pass-through time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Incidentally, this happened the last time she got beets.

Terrifying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Oh my gosh she's gorgeous! Maybe some banana before naptime?  Or in the alternative, give her something that cleans her out very early in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Haha... how on earth did that happen?? :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I learned on Dr. Oz's p00p show that human beings really are programmed to p00p very soon after a meal, but that we train ourselves later in life to resist for the sake of convenience and that derails our natural driven instinct.  So, given that, I'd say that if you want her to p00p at a different time, you'll have to change the time she eats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

We had the same issue with DD p00ping at night and I changed her meals so she would have more binding foods in the evening.  It really helped to decrease the nighttime diaper changes. 

Love the picture!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Is she having the same issue at the babysitter's?  If not, does she have a different eating schedule there?  Also, does she eat different foods there?  I imagine if this problem is confined to being at home, then you could relatively easily determine if it's the timing of her meals and/or the food she's eating that is causing it and then you could switch up the foods and the timing of lunch while she's at home to avoid the problem.  If she's on the same eating/napping schedule at the babysitter's, and she does have this issue there (and didn't used to) then it seems like maybe her body clock got a bit messed up (perhaps with the time change) and you'll have to try to reset it by slightly altering her eating schedule and maybe giving her different types of food for a bit.  

ETA:  That picture is PRICELESS!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

My DS (23 months) stopped napping at home on the weekends just recently and the direct correlation seems to be an afternoon p00p too.  So bring on the recommendations!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I wish I had something useful to add. My DD has started p00ping at night, just as I am getting her settled to sleep. We do all the toothbrushing, story reading, nighttime stuff (with me repeatedly asking if she has to go potty) and she'll usually go pee, but about 5-10 minutes after lights out she has to go p00p.
    At first I thought it was a ploy to stay up, but she goes, so I can't not let her. And the big problem with this is that I can't really change dinnertime, since our schedule is we get home, make dinner, eat, clean up, have maybe 30 minutes to relax before we start the bedtime routines. Unless the dinner fairy comes and has food ready as soon as we walk in the door, I don't think we can eat any earlier.
    I have heard that activity can move things along faster, but I also don't know when I'd fit it in in the evenings. But that might work for naps - Lots of vigorous activity before lunch, and you might get p00p over with before naptime?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Amy-Lynn, if the dinner fairy does by some miracle show up, would you please send her over to my house too?

All kidding aside, in your case I wonder if you could move bedtime back 5-10 minutes (so it's just a little later) in an effort to get the po0p out of the way before lights out?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

am - I have tried asking her as I finish the last story, if she wants to go potty, and she says no. And I am not so consistent with bedtime that 5-10 minutes would make much difference. I think that as she relaxes with the lights out, she realizes that she has to go, or something. It's annoying, as I want to get her down once, not twice. I think she has gone p00p before lights out maybe twice, but that was on nights when we were more than 30 minutes past usual bedtime.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

In Response to Re: afternoon nap interruption:
    Maybe I'll feed her beets to check the pass-through time.
    Posted by lemonmelon

HAHAHA!

Or a crayon.  Why do kids want to eat crayons anyway?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

She has been having the same problem at her sitter's, and since she's more nap-compliant there she sleeps anyway and comes home with terrible diaper rash.

Maybe we'll do some deep knee-bends before nap. I'll take her to Body Defined with me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, and just in case you think I'm one of THOSE people who thinks a disgusting mess is adorable on my own child -- I find that photo absolutely terrifying. It looks like she's fresh from the kill.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Lemon-your daughter is starting to potty train right? Can you take her before nap and ask her to try? Mention to try to p00p.

DS will try and p00p every time he goes to the bathroom. He especially tried when we take him after eating, and if we mention it I can see a good college try. Recently we ran into an issue of p00ping in the tub.  This was before I insisted on him trying to go to the bathroom before bath time. Now I insist, and he complies and we are pee and p00p free during bathtime. Thank the heavens! (and by insist I don't mean I'm forcing him to try until he goes, just a "no bath until you try and go to the bathroom" comment.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lemon, the p00ped meal is eaten long before the meal that triggers the urge to go.  So, even if you learn her transit time, you won't be able to use that information to solve the naptime problem.  ...according to that "all things p00p" show.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I gave her the universal pass-through at lunch, and sure enough it showed up in her diaper 20 minutes later. So lunch is the culprit. I guess I need to feed her earlier, like around 1130 at the latest. It sure cuts into an already regimented day, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It takes much longer from something ingested to come out the other end than 20 minutes.  What you're seeing, I think, is that it takes 20 minutes for the trigger to get rid of waste much farther along in her digestive system to kick in for having eaten lunch. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh no, trust me -- it came through. There was no mistaking it. It was corn.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm like a necromancer over here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, you'd know if she didn't have any corn earlier, but it seems awfully strange physiologically speaking!  I did that with my dog, by the way, after I thought she might have swalled a piece of my jewelry...gross.  So gross.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I know, I'm starting to wonder if something I'm feeding her at lunch is acting as an intestinal broom.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I really think kids have more efficient intestines than we do, for whatever reason.  My daughter poops as many times a day as she eats, usually.  I swear, if she only poops 2 times it's like she's constipated.  I have absolutely no suggestions, other than I hope there are answers here because the idea that potty training might ruin her nap is the sort of thing that makes me nervous to potty train!  I love her nap! It is my naptime too!

Sections
Shortcuts