another baby after a c-section

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: another baby after a c-section

There was just a pretty extensive thread about VBAC - I bet it's within the last 20 so you won't have to use the dreaded BDC search function to find it.

Not sure about the other question, though.  I hope you won't have to wait longer than you want.  GL!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

The comment was definitely on the bump, but I found another article on babycenter that reassured me...suggested waiting 18-23 mos after any birth to give your body time to heal, but as I read further, said that for women over 35, recognizing it might take longer to conceive, starting at 9-12 mos postpartum should be fine.  As with everything about conceiving and childbirth, even the expert advice isn't definitive!

IPW, we'll be in on this together!  My husband thinks I'm nuts to already be thinking about getting pregnant again, even if it's not for 6-9 months.  We're just getting used to taking care of one!  But since we went through a miscarriage before this baby, he knows well enough that it can take a while and a little heartbreak before a full-term pregnancy, so he'll do whatever I say. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: another baby after a c-section:
    I found another article on babycenter that reassured me...suggested waiting 18-23 mos after any birth to give your body time to heal, but as I read further, said that for women over 35, recognizing it might take longer to conceive, starting at 9-12 mos postpartum should be fine.  As with everything about conceiving and childbirth, even the expert advice isn't definitive!
    Posted by luvRIboy

This isn't c-section-related, but the midwives told me I could start again "right away" after having my daughter. AS IF!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

well from my experience...I got pregnant by accident when my DD was 4 months old...just had second DD and doing just fine after my second c section.  I mean I think the rule of thumb is to ideally wait 18 months between children regardless of delivery...things happen and people get pregnant sooner.  You will be fine if you got pregnant between now and when you really want to try.  You show a lot sooner but I didnt experience any difficulty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I thought I had read you should wait a year after a c-section, but maybe it was a year after vaginal...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingX. Show KingX's posts

I had #2 17 months after my first child.  My OB/GYN said that a VBAC would not be an option unless the deliveries were spaced at least 18 months apart.  I didn't argue or question as I was fine with the scheduled csection.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Luv - my OB recommended at least 12 mos before getting PG after a c-section in terms of body, uterus healing and REALLY pushed reliable BC for at least first 6 mos to avoid it before my body was ready.  My friend was told it was optimal in terms of healing to wait 18 mos.  Both of us had emergency sections the first time with some post-op complications, so that could play into the recommendations we were given. I would definintely ask your OB his/her recommendation as with anyting, I'm sure this varies by practitioner, patient history, etc. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

My friend who is 41 wanted to try right away for her second. She had a c-section with the first.  Her dr. told her to wait till the baby was 6mon. before she tried again, well little did she know she was already pg at 5 mon after the birth of her first. (very fertile huh!?)  She just had another c-section and both mom and the baby are healthy.  I really think it depends on what advice YOUR dr. gives you, since these numbers seem so different.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, the high failure rate of the mini-pill is related to the fact that if you miss a pill you only have 4 hours before possibly ovulating.  If you never miss it and always take it at the same time every day the success rate is just as high as any other pill.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Luv, my OB made an aside comment that if I wound up having a c-section, she'd recommend I wait two years before trying again.  Since it turned out to be a moot point, I didn't push it.  

I bet your OB would be willing to see you for a "check-in" appointment so you could discuss all this.  Different practitioners have different approaches, so if yours is resistant to VBAC, you might want to switch practices if that doesn't sit well with you.  Just a thought.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

So it sounds like it's more that it should be 18 months between DELIVERIES, not necessarily pregnancies.  That I can definitely live with!  I have to go back to my OB at 6 mos postpartum for a pap, so I'll ask all of these questions then. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, and I know my practice is very encouraging of VBAC, and have over a 75% success rate with it.  I'd talked to my MW about it back when I learned I was going to need the c-section, and also briefly at my postpartum visit.  My daughter was a little peanut at birth, so we likely won't have to worry about a big baby, which makes me a good candidate for VBAC. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Luv, my 1st daughter was almost 9lbs and all along I thought my second daughter was going to be close in size...to my surprise she was 6lbs 15oz, just saying you cant judge a size based off your 1st delivery.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My DD is 9 months old and I'm 12 weeks pregnant.  I had a c-sec and my midwives do not seem concerned about it at all.  DH and I were ready for another and we just decided to not try not to (if that makes sense). 

June08Bride, I'm curious how it's been for you so far!  Your DD was 13 months when DD#2 was born?  Mine will be 15.5 months apart if this baby goes to term.  I'm terrified and totally excited at the same time!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Trouble..."not try not to" is sort of our plan, and then if nothing has happened by next fall, we'll start to actually try to make it happen.  Glad to hear your MW is not concerned about the spacing of the pregnancies, and hope you're feeling well!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I am a NICU nurse and totally encourage a VBAC!!  I have also read that with "advanced maternal age" (can't believe mid-30's is considered old!), that you should not wait as long as they would typically advise a younger woman to wait between deliveries.  Basically you just need to give the tissue in the uterus enough time to fully heal so that it can withstand contractions during a vaginal birth.

All of these posts are mostly here-say though. I would suggest going on the ACOG website.  The ACOG is the committee that writes the guidelines that all OB/GYNs are supposed to follow.  Its very helpful to know what the facts are when going into this, as even some OBs will have differing opinions.
    http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp070.cfm

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kar - unfortunately I am that person who gives the mini-pill bad odds.  I can't seem to do anything at the exact same time every day.  I'm usually taking it within 2-3 hours of the same time... but I know that is still risky.  Since we know we want to try within the next 6-8 months... not sure its worth going back on the much more forgiving regular pill (and I'm still breastfeeding, which I think is a no-no).  Funny... the pamphlet says it's most effective a few hours before relations.  I certainly wish I could plan those.. would make my sleeping schedule much easier :-)
    Posted by IPWBride

Maybe set an alarm or tape it to toothbrush?  There must be an easy way to get you up to the 99% effective rate!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

luvRIboy,

I'm not sure if you charted your 1st pregnancy but you used a phone app to remind you to take the pill.  I have been using "menstrual calendar" (hate the name) to chart my cycles and it reminds to take the pills/vitamins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Oh, LuvRI, One other thing, I see you're interested in a VBAC.  My doc/midwives usually recommend 18 months between deliveries for a trial VBAC, but apparently that's not a hard deadline.  My #1 was also a breech presentation, and since that's not likely to recur, they would be fine with me attempting a VBAC.  They also said that the risk of uterine rupture of 15.5 months apart vs. 18 months is probably not that different.  HTH!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Trouble, lets just say its been very interesting in my house.  My almost 14 month DD is very curious about her little sister and everything is on her terms when it comes to being close to her, kissing her, petting her, ect.  I do notice her becoming VERY clingy when I need to feed DD #2 and usually will need to give DD #1 a bottle of milk as well to make her not feel left out.  I chose not to wean DD off bottles at 12 months unless she wanted it and Im happy I didnt because I know she would be right back on them everytime her sister needs one.  I have been given a lot of slack from ppl about her still on a bottle, it was a very personal choice and I basically said screw to everyone else who had an opinion.

I also do not breastfeed, again personal choice and that helps out a TON when DH or anyone else visits, they can help with the baby.  She is a great little sleeper, but so is my other daughter.  I get about 4 hours in between each feeding and my little peanut was already chowing 4oz by day 5.  My mother bought me an "Itzbeen" which has been a huge help because with 2 little ones I tend to forget a lot of my timings.

Im 3 weeks post delivery tomorrow and I feel great after c section #2 and sometimes forget Im still recovering.  Since my 14 month old is bigger and needs more attention, we give it to her because if my little one isnt eating, she is always pretty content.  If you have any other questions, let me know, but having 2 so close in age is going to be hard in the beginning but they will hopefully grow up to be best of friends!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

June08,

Thanks so much for your thoughts on life with the 2 close in age little ones... so far!  As you said, I also hope that my 2 will also be close as they get older especially since they will be so close in age.  And I secretly hope I'm having another girl as well!  Sisters a year apart?  A recipe for best friends, right? :)  Well, here's to hoping at least!

It sounds like both your DDs are very easy going.  That must help so much.  My DD is a very happy and easy going baby as well, but she is very high needs, she loves attention and loves to be held.  She especially did during the first 3 months.  I could hardly put her down!  I hear that's first child syndrome though, so hopefully it won't happen with #2, and really, it can't! 

So, does it feel like you have 2 babies or is DD a little more independent?  Does she walk and does she eat toddler foods?  I can see how formula feeding must be easier.  I do BF my DD and hope to do the same with #2, but we'll see how it works out.  Interesting thoughts about the bottle!  My DD does take bottles as well, and I wonder what we'll end up doing and how much she'll revert once the new baby comes. 

Good luck to you and congrats!  3 weeks old?  It sounds like everyone has adjusted so well considering it's still all so new!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I will say once I found out I was pregnant again I did start making big changes with DD #1, I got her use to not being held all the time, napping in her crib instead of her pack n play, not picking her up everytime she whined or fell unless it was serious..basically making her more independent.  It was hard at first but it got easier as time went on, so that might be something the two of you can work on in the coming months so she doesnt feel so abandoned once #2 comes. 

I don't feel as tho I have two babies, but she also isnt a big girl either so its hard not to lose sight of that when she is being fresh.  She has been walking since 9 months and eating table foods since 6.  I did wean her off formula at 11 months so 3 meals a day, snacks, milk and water it is for her which is awesome!

In all seriousness the worst part of having my second baby was the hospital stay and being away from my other daughter for 4 days.  She was able to come visit, but it was nothing like being home with her.  I didnt talk too much about her baby sister coming because I knew she wouldnt get it, but even now 3 weeks later, she loves her little sister

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

IPW, I didnt notice a dark line on my belly, either pregnancy.  The scar will feel better over time and feel less tight.  I use to rub lotion on mine after it was fully healed. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Haven't read all comments yet, but I'm in this boat too.  I also heard  the recommendation to wait around 2 years after any type of birth in order to let your body heal, but there's no way I'm waiting that long to start trying again.  I'm also in my late 30's and who knows how long it will take us to conceive?  I actually think I'd like to start trying this fall, right around Zoe's 1st bday (although it's a bit mind-boggling to think of being pregnant again when I feel like I was *just* pregnant!)

As for VBAC, I think it partially depends upon how your c-section went.  Mine had a very specific complication resulting from the fact that I pushed for 3 hours before the surgery and so my OB has recommended that I have another c if I get pregnant again.  Otherwise he said he would be fine trying a VBAC.  I'm slightly disappointed, but what can you do.

In general, I think it will depend on the comfort level of the doctor along the general state of your body at the time.

ETA: Ok, read the comments.  All very interesting, especially from Trouble and June08 who just went/are going through this!

The comment was definitely on the bump, but I found another article on babycenter that reassured me...suggested waiting 18-23 mos after any birth to give your body time to heal, but as I read further, said that for women over 35, recognizing it might take longer to conceive, starting at 9-12 mos postpartum should be fine.  As with everything about conceiving and childbirth, even the expert advice isn't definitive! IPW, we'll be in on this together!  My husband thinks I'm nuts to already be thinking about getting pregnant again, even if it's not for 6-9 months.  We're just getting used to taking care of one!  But since we went through a miscarriage before this baby, he knows well enough that it can take a while and a little heartbreak before a full-term pregnancy, so he'll do whatever I say. 
    Posted by luvRIboy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

My doc doesnt do VBAC's so it wasnt even an option for me.  If I had really wanted one, I would have needed to go into Boston and really it wasnt that important to me. 

Sections
Shortcuts