Anyones baby sleep through the night? If so, what's your routine?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CConnors08. Show CConnors08's posts

Anyones baby sleep through the night? If so, what's your routine?

HELP!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: Anyones baby sleep through the night? If so, what's your routine?

How old is your baby?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

If you define sleeping through the night as sleeping 6 hours straight, my daughter started sleeping "through the night" (11-5) at about 6 or 7 months. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

My oldest DD started sleeping thru the night at 8 weeks, we didnt do anything special for her to do it, just happened naturally.  My youngest DD started sleeping thru the night at 5 weeks, again all her.  Now at 3 months she is sleeping from 9-7.  The only thing I just recently changed about her routine was the # of bottles per day.  She use to take 5 bottles thru the day, now I give her 4 but increased the ounces.  My pedi said the earlier you put them to bed the longer they will sleep. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I did sleeping training with "Healthy Sleep Haibts Happy Child" and now I have both a healthy sleeper and a very happy child!

She goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:15 depending on the day and does not wake up until 6:15-6:30 the next morning (occasionally she tries to pull a fast one at 5 am but luckily will just talk herself back to sleep). I do have to wake her up at 5:30 3 days a week for daycare/work.

She is now 5 1/2 months.   I will say that occasionally maybe once every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks she still cries a little - maybe 10 minutes prior to sleep and sometimes wakes up early from naps after 30 minutes and has to cry for a bit to go back and have a real restorative nap.  I think it takes a whole lot of consistency but I could not be happier with the results. 

I have a baby who it would have never occurred to her to sleep through the night without a pacifer being constantly replaced without some training.  She and I would have been completely sleep-deprived if I had not done this.  IMO the total amt of time spent crying is dramatically reduced doing this technique.  She would be crying several times per night and cranky all day if I did not do this.  I think some babies are ok waking up several times but not mine.  She needs her sleep and I had to show her how.  We are constantly being told what a great disposition she has and I do think this is all due to her sleep habits (couldn't be completely hard-wired b/c she used to be a big time cranky pants for the first 7 weeks).

She has been sick essentially nonstop since starting daycare and I think b/c of sleep training she is able to cough a bit and then fall right back asleep.  Prior to sleep training this would have woken her up everytime.

Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Sorry - I got carried away and never mentioned the routine.
    We always read 1-2 books, soothe her briefly with a pacifier for about 5 minutes and then put her in the crib and I take the pacifier out as I put her in the cirb.  Sometimes she is nearly asleep, sometimes she is quite awake if I think she is antsy with me and needs to soothe herself.

I also always tell her "it is time for all good girls to go to bed".  I like her to think of all the little babies doing the same thing as her.  (I realize this is just for my benefit but I like doing it anyway!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Our DD came home from the hospital sleeping through the night although at 9 months now she has started waking up b/w 12 - 2 to nurse.  I think the whole routine thing is huge.  We put on jammies, take her vitamin, brush her teeth (all 2 of them), read a book and then nurse.  I try to put her down drowsy but sometimes she's conked out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'd love to help, but it would be easier if we knew how old your baby is. My kids have a different routine now at 20 months than they did at 16 weeks.
    BTW - I did sleep training and they slept through the night (10-6) at 4 1/2 months.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Of course by answering this, I will jinx myself.  But, DS started STTN 2 weeks ago, almost exactly at 5 mths.  Before he was a once a night nurser at some point between 12-3am.  Our schedule M-F is as follows (weekend are slightly different, but I try for not more than a 1 hour shift in times):

5:30am - Wake, diaper change, nurse (some mornings he is up babbling at 5am but is a really happy baby in the mornings, so will babble until I get him)
    6am - out the door to "nana" care (sometimes awake in the car, sometimes a short cat nap)
    6:20 - Arrive, Play
    7:15-8:15 (ish) - Nap
    8:30 - 5oz bottle
    9:15 - Breakfast (2 tbsp oatmeal, 2 tbsp fruit)
    11:30 - 5oz bottle
    1-3pm - Nap (this fluctuates a bit... sometimes earlier/later in the day, but usually his longest nap)
    3pm - 6oz bottle
    4:45pm - Pick up from "nana" care
    5:30pm - Dinner (2 tbsp oatmeal/rice, 2 tbsp veggie)
    6:15 - Bath (every other day, nights we don't bath, we just play), diaper change, PJs
    6:30pm - Nurse
    6:45pm - settle down time... so either some floor time, book or some quiet activity.  If DS is already rubbing his eyes, he goes straight into the crib.
    7pm - Latest time to bed.

I have always tried to put DS to bed awake which I think has helped him learn how to settle himself.  He has been in his crib since 1 week old and he loves it.  In fact last night I nursed him a bit early and put him down at 6:30pm because he was so tired (afternoon nap was a bust), and he gave me a HUGE smile and immediately closed his eyes.  Somehow he knows its his own special place.  

Once in crib, we have a music aquarium that we play that lights up and plays lullabys for 7 minutes or so.  I also put him in a sleep sack and pop in a paci.  We have been incredibily lucky that when/if the paci falls out, it hasn't ever bothered him.  I think he could actually take it or leave it... but we use the paci only at sleep times (naps too) so I think that is another sign to him that its sleep time.

We have to wake up so early to avoid traffic (we both work in the city and live about 45 minutes out) so some nights DS only gets 10 hrs of sleep.  So we try really hard to get at least 3 hours of good naptime during the day.  I will say, the days with horrible naps... he is a bad night sleeper.  If he doesn't get at least one 1.5-2 hour nap (can be either morning or afternoon), he is a bear.  Sleep definitely begets sleep with my kid.  

Sometimes he still wakes overnight and just babbles, but I realized he wasn't in need of food, so at 5 mths, I let him be and I was amazed how fast he went right back to sleep.  Most of the time he can put himself back to sleep on his own; last night I needed to go in and just pop in the paci and rub his forehead and he was back out.  They say that everyone wakes up several times at night, we have just learned how to put ourselves back to sleep, and babies need to learn that too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Not to hijack the post, but can I ask how those of you whose babies nap for an hour or more at a time - is there some way you get them to do this?  DD now only naps a maximum of 35 minutes at a time, and even though I know it's not enough, she wakes up happy and singing (usually) and will not sleep longer.  I think the bad napping is related to the fact that despite a very strict bedtiem routine she is still waking up like 7 times during the night and wants to eat at least 2 of those times.  I don't know how to increase naps if she wakes up and is simply not tired anymore.

(Luck - I have Weissbluth in my head saying that 30 minute naps are worthless...)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

You know, Poppy, I think sometimes that it is true and sometimes it isn't.  When she cat naps on the way home from daycare it makes her quite refreshed for our 45 minutes before bedtime. 

That being said, I think it is very likely related to her bedtime awakenings.  As he says sleep begets sleep.  So DD used to do the same thing.  She would wake up EXACTLY 30 minutes into a nap and still does sometimes.  When she was happy I let her stay there for awhile - sometimes that would lead to crying and eventually sleep.  Sometimes not.  Now if she wakes up after 30 minutes (which is quite uncommon now) she usually is crying and I always let her try to cry it out.  I think what your DD is experiencing is the natural sleep cycle at 30 minutes and she just hasn't figured out how to get herself back to sleep - which goes back to the nighttime awakenings in my mind.
    I would guess that if you did some CIO overnight, it would get much better over time.  I really stressed about the naps prior to daycare b/c I wanted to make sure she could do it.  In retrospect, I think I stressed too much because as the nighttime improved, so did the length of her naps.

But what do I know really?  I tell you I sound like a freakin' Weissbluth disciple but any man who can get my DD and myself to sleep is ok in my book.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

As Weissbluth says I get in my own way(paraphrasing).  DS wakes up at night and I go in get him and nurse him. He usually only wakes up twice and I know it needs to stops.  He has recently started taking a 30 min morning nap and I think it is my fault.  So tonight I am resolved not to go in unless he cries for more than 5 min.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

LLLE-I'm with you!  Typically, DD wakes up twice.  Last night she woke up 3 times.  I believe she's uncomfortable because she's teething but she knows how to soothe herself. However, she'd rather nurse and quickly fall asleep.  I promised myself that I need to move it to one feeding/night because according to Weissbluth, she should be able to sleep through the night without feedings by 9 months.  She'll be 9 months in a few weeks...yikes!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

my baby is 13 weeks and has been doing the techinical of sleeping through the night since about 8 weeks.  My oldest started at 6 weeks, as soon as we introduced the bedtime routine.  My youngest doesn't nap as much during the day and it took me about 4 weeks (ugh!) to realize that her fussy evenings were because she was exhausted.  Once I figured that out we were good to go, and actually, since starting daycare full-time last week, her fussiness has toned down a bit as she seems so beat from her day that she can fall asleep for a cat nap on her own (that was our biggest problem, she needed lots of rocking and bouncing to fall asleep and couldn't go down unassisted). 

I went to a moms group and someone mentioned the miracle blanket and said it was an instant success.  I am always a little like "yeah right" when I hear that but on finding that my daughter would fall right to sleep as soon as she was swaddled I bought the $30 blanket off amazon - first night, she went from sleeping 7:30-12:30 to 7:30-2:30.  That continued and now we're waking up anytime between 3 and 5am, but then she's good until 7am.  I am a miracle blanket convert.  And then when the blanket was in the dryer at bedtime I decided to try to skip it.  She was up by 11pm.  Blanket, I love you.  She's in her own room and where she couldn't fall asleep on her own before, she will now lay in her crib, wiggle a bit and fall to sleep.  I also have the fisher price aquarium in her crib and she loves to watch the lights and fish.  I also sing her a "night night" song right before putting her in the crib and at about 9 weeks when I'd sing it to her her eyes would start to get heavy and she'd stop fussing and just relax.  I sing the same song to her sister and I am going on that she heard it lots in utero and knows that it means it's quiet time now.  Who knows. 

So here is my routine:  nurse at 6:45 either upstairs in room or in living room, 7pm head to her room and get changed for bed.  By 7:15, nurse in rocking chair on boppy, read a book or sing song to her.  By 7:25 she's done nursing, lay her in the crib and wrap her up tight, sing the night night song and put her down with her fishies and she's usually out within 5 minutes and then she's down until 3.  If she wakes early, like last night with the sniffles, I rock her back to sleep and give her the pacifier.  Last night, even with the cold, that got us to 3:45.  Fingers crossed the routine doesn't change now that I've written about it.  With my oldest I know that she was still waking up once in the night by 6 months, but that by 8 months she was good 7:30pm to 7am.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - it took forever for my twins to sleep more than an hour at a time.  40 minutes was normal when they were little.  Used to drive me crazy.  I followed Weissbluth idea about 2 hours of wakeful time being a ceiling and at one point we were taking 4 naps a day! That was a LOT of up and down stairs with two babies. Slowly but surely they started napping a little longer - we went to 3 naps and then two - 10am and 2pm when they were able to stay awake for 3 hours at a time (again Weissbluth).
    Now they nap from noon to 2pm and are awake for 5 hours at a time (more or less).  They are 20 months old. 
    As a friend says - Everything is a phase - both the good and the bad!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I have a question for the many Weissbluth devotees.  (Keep in mind I have not done any reading on sleep other than this board!)
    How do you know in the night when waking is just for comfort or because they need something?
    For example, 8 month old LO went to sleep around 7:15 last night and woke up around 9.  I picked her up and gave her a kiss, she burped, then I put her back down and she was fine and went back to sleep.  So I am guessing the burp was bothering her?
    Then she woke up at 12 and I nursed her.  Then she woke up at 2 and I felt like it was too soon to nurse so I just rocked her for a minute and she went back to sleep.  But woke up again 15 minutes later!  So I nursed her again because it was the easiest thing to do, and then she slept until 7 AM.
    So how do I know if she needed to eat or if she just wanted comfort?
    I believe in general that each baby is different, but sometimes when I read the messages on here and see that for her age our LO is not sleeping that well, I feel like I'm doing something really wrong.  :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - that's exactly how I was feeling; like I was doing things wrong.  I can't quote Weissbluth because I have only read part of the book and haven't been following it exactly, but for us we knew we needed a change because none of us were getting any sleep because of the frequent wake-ups.  Also, my DD would scream much of the time when she woke up.  At first, I would get frantic thinking there was something wrong, but I realized (over some time) that she was fine, just mad or overtired.  She was wanting to be nursed 2-3 times in the middle of the night, and it was too much for me, and I did not think she was starving (for example, she'd wake up 45 minutes after nursing and only be soothed by another round of nursing, however during the day was only eating every 3 hours or so).  If everyone in your house is peaceful and happy and you don't feel the need for change, I don't think you should feel that you have to change anything.  I think it is a very individual thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

poppy - DS naps for 30-45 min in the AM then usually 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon.  Sometimes even 3 hours.  Just this week (which today is only Tues.) if he wakes after 30 min I leave him in his crib.  This morning he talked to himself and played for another 30 min but never went back to sleep.  He too wakes up happy and doesn't get cranky before his next nap in the afternoon.  I think as long as he is happy and alert I need to stop worrying so much! 

Nene - that is what has gotten me thinking about this topic lately the fact that by 9 months all babies should be able to sleep through the night.  I think I'm becoming obsessive and need to just stop and let my kid be himself!

Medford - I was wondering the same thing.  It's so hard not to wonder when you see what everyone elses LO's are doing even though all kids are different. 

Someone told me that if your LO can go 7 hours one night they should always be able to go 7 hours and that if you go in you shouldn't pick them up but try to soothe them while they stay in their bed(rubbing back, singing to them kinds of things).  I just don't know, again I'm totally obsessing and need to stop!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy and LLLE, that is very helpful.  I think I am the same as LLLE - obsessing.
    I was previously obsessing over naps (because she rarely naps longer than 45 minutes), but I have (mostly) stopped obsessing because she is really happy in general.  Now I am obsessing over nighttime sleep, but in general it's pretty tolerable so I like Poppy's idea of changing when someone in the house needs a change.
    She's cutting her top teeth, too, so that's another reason I haven't felt ready to try more of a sleep training thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Medford - For me, it has been fairly straightforward.  I would not go to her if I knew it was too early to feed.  That being said, after doing sleep training to fall asleep, much of the frequent awakenings stopped like Poppy's recent experience.
    So a few nights she would go until 2 am then I knew midnight was too early.  Then progressively she woke up at 3,4 and then 5 and eventually stopped waking up until about 6:15 which is when she wakes up now.

Now when she cries it is usually for absolutely no clear reason and she will usually get herself back to sleep within 2-3 minutes. At this point these awakenings are quite rare.  If it goes longer, I will check on her - make sure she doesn't have have a fever by touch, she has not rolled over, gotten stuck or something like that. After a quick assessment I will say you are alright and leave again.  (Believe me this is tough because I want to pick her up).  However, I think picking her up reinforces her to wake up.  After leaving she never takes more than 2-3 minutes to settle back down.  I know she is not hungry.  Even when she wakes up at 6 she is not crying for a bottle.  She is quite happy when she wakes up in the morning.

Sections
Shortcuts