April Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Re: April Infants & Toddlers

DZ, purely personal experience (lots of twins in my family), but twins seem to talk later than most babies, maybe because they have always found non-verbal ways to communicate!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Oh, they get their point across.  ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

They certainly do! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

DZ - My DD, 3.5, seems to have a magical iron bladder as well. She goes more like 3-4 times a day, but some of it is that I have made going potty part of several routines - When she gets up, she goes potty before getting dressed, that is just part of the process. She goes at daycare at least a couple of times - they all go before going outside to play, which they usually do twice a day. She also goes right before bed. She is also excellent about asking to go when she needs to, it just seems like she hardly needs to. 
    I also make sure that if we are out and about I take her when I need to go, to pre-empt any potty emergencies when there isn't a bathroom nearby - and I don't make the trip optional - but I don't always have sucess with her going, I praise her for at least trying. 
    If you aren't having accidents, I would try to add maybe one more routine time, but not stress too much - I miss being able to sleep all night without a bathroom trip...... Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I happen to remember stressing out as a ~3 year old being told to go when my mom told me to (before car trips, for instance).  I found the whole bathroom thing embarrassing (not sure why - no in my life did anything to make it that way).  Not only did I want ultimate and complete control of when I went to the bathroom, I didn't like the idea of anyone knowing when I was in there!  I clearly wouldn't have wanted her to stand outside the door and wait, keys in hand.  I didn't like it at all.  I generally tried to sneak trips to the bathroom (yes, at 3 yo, I swear!) and then I honestly didn't have to go when I was told so it became a big battle every time, and I'm sure my mom never really knew why.  Of course, I didn't want to give up my secret that I went when she didn't know so I just cried "I don't have to!" and hoped in vain that she'd believe me.

I have no idea what to do if that's the case with your LOs, but fwiw, that's what I can tell you from little Kargiver's perspective. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Thanks for all the input on the carseat thing!  I spent some time last night really asking what DD does during the day and I'm starting to feel much more comfortable with the whole thing.  The dc provider does have a swing that she spends some time in, she does tummy time 3 or so times a day, yesterday they were outside for a while and she or the assistant were holding dd, etc.  I think they use the carseat during "busy" times ... like getting lunch together and when parents start coming for pick ups.  I also found out that DD is the first to arrive in the mornings (DH has done drop off all week and never told me this until last night) ... so she gets a bit of one-on-one then .. and and DH said the provider takes her out of the carseat right when he walks in.  I do think they use the seat as a "safe" place and agree that it could be useful in keeping "helpful" toddlers at bay.  At home I use it to keep the dogs away from her since when the handle is up they can't nose at her... same is true of the activity bar on the bouncy seat.

... on a side note this lady must think i'm somewhat crazy by now.  Every night this week I've lingered 20-30 minutes at pick up asking all sorts of questions.  Maybe it is a normal new-mom thing and she doesnt mind it ... but if I were her it would drive me nuts.  I think part of the problem is that I'm very hesitant to outright "confront" her on things as we are still establishing our provider-parent relationship and most of my worries are probably unwarranted.  I'd rather have a pleasant conversation about DD's day and let her volunteer what they did rather than quizing her on how much DD was held, etc.  If I had a new parent come in and start quizzing me on every detail I'd probably get defensive and think the parent was neurotic.  ... but all in all I am starting to feel much more better with the whole situation. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: April Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Good luck back to works and happy birthdays! Fram, I am wondering the same thing, except my DD is now 20 months.  I always thought it would be easier to kill the AM one, but now I think bedtime might actually be easier.  However, this might be unusual, because I am not home at bedtime at least once per week.  On those nights, I don't pump and she goes down just fine without it.  We were offering her a cup of milk for a while, but she wasn't interested.  She is much more insistent in the AM, and I have always been there when she wakes up in the AM.  So I think that might be harder for us. 20 months is awesome.  And, for everyone who has given advice on our gross motor delay issues, I think it's fair to say that DD is WALKING! She still falls down about 100 times a day, but she usually chooses to stand up and walk if she wants to get someplace, rather than scooting, and she can start and stop and go maybe 10-15 feet max before needing to grab on to something or sit down. We have been teaching her "manners" things like please and thank you, and now we introduced "excuse me" after burping and "bless you" for sneezes -- now she says bless you after *she* sneezes and "excuse me" after *I* burp.  It's pretty funny.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Catching up on posts after like 2 weeks not having time to check in... YAY BABY MEDFORD!  And so cute about the manners - DD is similar, she says "Thank you" when she's handing us something.  Just learning to say it when we give *her* something.  I would love to her your DD say "bless you" and "excuse me".  Must be adorable!

And happy birthday baby Silver!

Ok, back to catching up...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ok, finally got through all the April posts (never finished the March ones.... maybe try that tomorrow).  I love hearing about all the walking and talking happening!  And all the upcoming birthdays!  DD (17 months) *just* started saying "no" this past weekend.  Up until now she has just shaken her head and sort of gone "uh-uh".  I have to say, I love her little "no"!  It's so cute!  She does it with sort of an accent.  I'm sure in a few months time it won't be so endearing, but right now I try to get her to say it constantly.

Also, we finally found a house!  Inspection on Saturday, supposed to close around June 21 (so their kids can finish school).  I'm sort of in a haze about it, can't really believe it.  It's exciting, but it's also got my head spinning in anticipation of all the changes. I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions for you all when we get closer.  My biggest fear is that DD will have had 8 months to get accustomed to sleeping in the same room as us, and that she won't be able to sleep in her own room.  But am trying not to worry about that right now...

Question - Easter baskets for kids DD's age.  What are you putting in them?  Don't want to do chocolate.  I got the larger-sized plastic eggs, but don't know what to put in them!  Goldfish?  Socks?  I could probably put cotton balls in them all and she'd be thrilled - for some reason she finds those endlessly fascinating.  I also bought her a few books and am hoping to find a little stuffed animal before Sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Poppy - Congrats on the house! As far as Easter eggs, a friend of ours gave DD Easter eggs filled with Duplo blocks when she was about 18 months old. (Some sets are geared towards older ages, so look on the box, but I think it should be easy to find sets for 18 months). They were a big hit, and I was glad it wasn't candy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Hey Poppy, just did the basket this morning. Found a lot at I party. Bought a ton of bubbles, bath finger paint bubbles, a stuffed animal duck, "invisible" markers (only write on special paper") and a bucket for the beach. So I steered clear of candy. I'm sure my MIL will have some in her basket. All the candies I saw were jelly beans, nerds, gum...nothing appropriate for our aged kids. But I'd imagine chocolate bunnies would be safe if you really want a little treat. Love the idea of putting goldfish in the eggs. They even make sweet goldfish now...vanilla and honey flavors.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]'Question - Easter baskets for kids DD's age.  What are you putting in them?  Don't want to do chocolate.  I got the larger-sized plastic eggs, but don't know what to put in them!  Goldfish?  Socks?  I could probably put cotton balls in them all and she'd be thrilled - for some reason she finds those endlessly fascinating.  I also bought her a few books and am hoping to find a little stuffed animal before Sunday.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    Last year my mum put mardis gras beads into some of the eggs.  My daughter LOVED it!  We just have to make sure she keeps them out of her room so they aren't a strangulation hazard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: April Infants & Toddlers : Catching up on posts after like 2 weeks not having time to check in... YAY BABY MEDFORD!  And so cute about the manners - DD is similar, she says "Thank you" when she's handing us something.  Just learning to say it when we give *her* something.  I would love to her your DD say "bless you" and "excuse me".  Must be adorable! And happy birthday baby Silver! Ok, back to catching up...
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, Poppy.  :)  And yeah, the "excuse me" is adorable.  It kind of sounds like "ah cube mee!"
    Congratulations on the house!!

For the basket, I was just doing stickers and some cute pencils I found (she loves pencils).  But then I found a Sesame Street Zoe book and I couldn't resist.  :)  Zoe is her new friend.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Boston, so glad things Are seeming better with daycare. As for seeming crazy with the questions, I haven't been through it yet but I would imagine that's probably super common for her. When I think of the instructions I leave when my own parents are watching DS for 2 hours, I can only imagine the questions/instructions I'd feel the need to give the dc provider! Speaking of people watching your baby, we had a first yesterday. My dad, who is retired and planning to watch DS one day a week if/when I go back to work, watched him by himself for the first time yesterday while i went to an interview. This may not sound like much, but when DS was born my dad was so cautious with him that he wouldn't hold him unless he was already sitting and someone positioned the baby for him. He's made a lot of progress over 6 weeks! Poppy, congrats on the house! I'm sure the joy and relief of finally having your own place will outweigh any adjustments you have to make. I have a sleep question. DS is almost 7 weeks and we're starting to introduce a bedtime routine, following Weisbluth's advice to start putting him down drowsy but awake. DS is responding pretty well. Two nights ago, he actually slept through the midnight-ish time he usually feeds and seemed fine. Last night he started fussing for it but when I went to get home was clearly still asleep. After a few more false alarms, I finally just got him up and fed him, but I'm wondering if I could or should have just let him go unless he really woke up and cried for it. I've been reading Weissbluth but I'm not sure from what I've read what really constitutes waking for a feeding. I keep remembering from my bfing class that "crying is a late cue" for feeding, but DS fusses so much in his sleep, and it only sometimes indicates that he's waking up. Do you all wait til your LOs are full on crying, or do you get them up as they start fussing?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Correction: "went to get home" should be "went to get him" in the last post. Site won't let me edit it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

arcain, I actually found that I was waking up DS when he was about that age- as soon as he would stir, I would grab him up and feed him. one night i let him sleep, and he never woke up. i think it is fine to let him go until he is clearly awake- and I felt that the whole "crying is a late signal" is more during the day... but maybe I was wrong.

poppy I am so happy for you about the house! congrats.

about the baskets- we are going to hunt for eggs this year, and I think that I am going to put little snacks in them- like goldfish, annie's bunny cookies, teddy grahams etc. I figured if I only put 2 or 3 in each, he wouldn't get too full. last year, I found some eggs that were "prepackaged" with these little thomas wind up toys- which was great, but I haven't found the same thing this year... Iparty is a great suggestion- they have a ton of tiny toys.  DS is not a mouther- so he is also getting bouncy balls and a few other things like that in his eggs this year.

speaking of bubbles, has anyone tried the colored bubbles yet? I have found (thank you daycare) that some "washable paint" does not actually wash out of clothes and was a bit hesitant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Why oh why am I at work today?  I could be a Catholic again if it got me the day off!  :)  We aren't really doing the whole easter basket thing, is that terrible?  Our town does have an egg hunt tomorrow with a toddler area, so we'll go to that (if it's not 25 degrees) but that's about it for Easter!  I never did the whole bunny thing growing up, Easter was more of a religious holiday, but that tradition died with my Grandmother.

Arcain, I don't remember so well what I did with DD, but I definitely woke up and fed DS at the slightest sound.  I did that up until he was about 5 months and we moved him into his own room.  Then I stopped because I couldn't hear his noises as easily over the monitor.  I think it's fine when they're so young like yours is... to get him before he's full on crying.

Poppy, Congrats on the house!!!!!!!!!!!!  You must be over the moon!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

On Easter basket - for my 17 month old we've got bubbles, toddler crayons, magic finger paint (only works on special paper), a couple of books. 

We're doing a sort of easter egg hunt for her, but I'm not even filling the eggs this year...she's been playing with some at my parents and has no idea that they can even open yet!  For her the fun is finding them and putting them in the basket, then dumping the basket out everywhere.

Oh, I also got a small basket at Christmas Tree shop for her to use to collect the eggs. 

Arcain - the first 3 months for me with DD are still a blur...at 7 weeks, we were still figuring out feedings and getting her to gain weight so we had to wake her every 3 hours to eat.  Not a fun schedule!  So glad things are starting to really click with you and your little one! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Winter, I was eyeing the colored bubbles at the store, but I decided to skip them.  She's still super in love with regular bubbles (and a six pack of bottles is like $4!) so maybe when she's older and doesn't drip/spill quite so much.

Arcain, I think I mostly got her when she fussed or stirred, but if we have another I will more wait and observe.  I think she went back to sleep more easily if I grabbed her before she really started to cry, but I probably prolonged the nighttime eatings in the long run.
    (I should also add that I have *no* recollection of what age anything happened at -- so I might be talking about 4 months right now instead of 7 weeks!!)

I am excited for a weekend of bubbles, stickers, and egg dyeing!  Not so excited that the LO is sick and really didn't get into a sound sleep until 11 last night.  :(  Kept coughing and waking herself up.  That little cough while they're trying to sleep has to be one of the saddest sounds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If you want to put something in toddlers plastic eggs - Annie's stuff is great. Bunnies in cheddar, graham and even pretzel (which my twins love).We actually left them empty last year when they were about 19 months old and they didn't even notice. They just thought the eggs were tons of fun.

Poppy congrats on the house!!!

Arcain - I'd let him go at night. I think the "crying is a late signal" is for daytime. Make him ask for it at night, he may surprise you and start sleeping more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

DD is just about three, this is our first year putting eggs in her basket.  My mom did them for her before and stuffed them with socks, ha!  For DS (1) he is getting a sun hat, pj's, a watering can, and stacking cups.  DD is getting sidewalk chalk, finger paints, a book and sunglasses.

Aracain - I would let him go.  Once I knew our kids could go a stretch at night I would try not to feed inbetween unless I knew they were really hungry.  If he is not up crying I'd feed, if they are fussing a bit I'd wait a minute (literally a minute) to see what it turned into.  Sometimes I would go in a soothe them other times they would go right back to sleep.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Poppy - congrats on the house!

Arcain, that's so cute about your dad being more comfortable with DS. 

Is it weird that I am doing an Easter basket for DD and she's only 4 months old?  It's more for a photo op than anything else.  LOL.  I got a basket and grass, and a package of plastic eggs.  I wasn't going to put anything in them.  I got some peeps (for DH) and we have cute little bunny and sheep stuffed animals.  That's it. 

AFM, DD caught her first cold on Friday.  She is still so stuffy/runny, and she sneezes out giant green loogies (eww).  We are suctioning what we can, and using saline drops.  She has a low-grade fever of 100.9, but I don't think its high enough to involve the pedi.  We're just trying to weather through it.  Hopefully it it short-lived!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for the sleep advice, all. The tough thing with DS is that he rarely gets into major crying (oh, poor us, I know! :)), but he fusses a TON. At night, he can go forever fussing without it really escalating. We're still figuring out how to distinguish when he's doing it in his sleep and when he's awake and unhappy. Regardless, he ate a lot before bed and slept through his midnight feeding last night again, so I'm hoping we might get some consistent periods of longer sleep... These are such great Easter basket ideas! I'll have to write them down for next year. My MIL gave DS a little basket with toys yesterday and I think my mom has something for him today. So cute. My friend who has an 11 month old just made up a basket full of eggs with dried lentils in them. All the little guy cared about was the cool noise they made when he shook them, so it was perfect. Jenn, sorry to hear DD has a cold. Hope she's not too miserable!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Btw, to follow up on my weight loss question from last month, I tried 2 days of restricted calories based on my goal weight and losing 1 lb/week and my milk supply tanked by day 2, so I'm pulling back a bit, just focusing on good food choices and stopping before I'm full for now, and working out almost every day. We're trying what I've promised myself and DH will be the last outside intervention to try and get DS on 100% breast milk. I took him to a chiropractor who does cranio-sacral (sp?) adjustments on Friday to have his jaw checked out. She said she found some weaknesses and made adjustments. I'm pretty skeptical and not seeing major results yet but several people I talked to said it made all the difference in bfeeding. We'll see...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, I usually shoot for no more than 1/2 lb loss a week, and I'm not even bf'ing.  When I was losing 30 lbs, I was even happy to lose 1/3 lb a week.  Not fast by any means, but I did it one 1/3 lb at a time.  The diet industry, selling this pill, plan, or that, is to blame for people thinking 1/3 - 1/2 lb a week weight loss is TOO SLOW, but it isn't if you are doing it right and especially if you are bf'ing, too.

Best!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I hope everyone had a great Easter!  We don't really celebrate, but My parents did send the kids some cute easter baskets.  Filled with candy though.  Ugh!  Am I weird that I don't give my toddler (or infant!!!) candy?  What are my parents thinking??

DS was 8 months yesterday and I discovered his first tooth on Saturday!  And then he promptly bit my nipple.  Nice.  He's just SO uninterested in nursing right now.  It breaks my heart.  It's almost like he thinks it's mommy and me time and pops on and off and smiles and coos at me and takes very little.  Maybe he just likes the bottle better.  I'm thinking of just trying to nurse at morning and night and then pump during the day.  This weekend was just so hard and stressful, I don't think I can do it anymore.  I know it's terrible to wish his babyhood away, but I can't wait until he's 1 and done with breastmilk!!  I just keep telling myself Miss Lily's tidbit, "The best way to feed a baby is the way that gets food in them."  But, honestly, I still feel like a failure!  Irrational, I know!