April Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: April Infants & Toddlers

I need to get DS some sunscreen too, he's a redhead and has super sensitive skin so I am going to try the California baby sensitive first. It's expensive but got a 10$ off coupon for soap.com so going to get it there. We had DS's first birthday party this weekend! Figured it would be an indoor party but since it was so nice out we pulled out the deck furniture and had a BBQ! It was great and people did not have to be cramped in our small house. DS had a blast playing with his cousins and new toys. Today was even more fun because the toys were still here. He was getting pretty sick of what he has so it was good timing. I made him an allergen free cupcake which he devored! Loving this weather and I'm off on break this week which makes it even better!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Neutrogena makes a great 50 SPF one in which the active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide which are physical blocks (as opposed to the much more irritating chemical blocks) of the UV rays.  Look for those 2 active ingredients and nothing else for sensitive skin. 

This particular one is new so I haven't tried it, but their older SPF 50 block I think just had titanium dioxide, and that worked really well and was non-irritating, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

happy birthday baby ajuly!

Yes, physical sunblocks like Kar said are the way to go for babies, imho.
    We went with a brand called Badger (the unscented one) that they sell at Whole Foods, but it's similar to the California Baby and the Blue Lizard.

Sunblock is serious sticker shock!  Every time I buy it I have to remind myself it's really important... and not actually *that* expensive compared to other things I spend unwisely on!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I too have sensitive skin though Neutrogena Pure and free is a great product.  I find it hard to spread on my skin and it gives me a greyish look.  For the past three years I have been using blue lizard sunscreen . It's cheaper and  it spreads on much easier.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

What a weekend.  DS's 18 month well visit was Friday.  He was with my MIL that day and after his nap, he started to spike a fever.  By the time we got to the 4pm appointment, it was 104.6.  I'm so glad we were already at a doctor's office as I think I would have called an ambulance if I saw that number at home.  They gave him a mega dose of motrin and tested for a bunch of things.  Of course all negative, which is good and bad at the same time.  As much as you don't want anything wrong... nice to pinpoint to something.  Doctor finally "guessed" roseola, which is basically a wait it out viral infection lasting 3 days.  His fever remained about 101 for most of the weekend, and we treated with tylenol and lots of love (and binky all day, which is so against the rules but it calmed him incredibly).  Boy was he fussy (and all four of his inciser teeth have poked through as well... poor guy).  He never got the rash either yesterday or today, so not sure if that was the true diagnosis... but he's finally better this morning (although is coughing quite a bit I think from the post nasal drip from his teeth and perhaps seasonal allergies).

All the talk above about sunscreen... was nice to have a weekend where we needed it!!  But also don't forget bugspray.  DS got two giant mosquito bites yesterday and poor guy itched them raw.  I've read we are in for major bugs since we didn't have that cold a winter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I am always stunned by the price of sunscreen, indeed! 

To combat shininess or off colors, I dust on a little Bare Essentials foundation over whatever sunscreen I use on my face.  As an added bonus it has an SPF 15 of physical (mineral) blockers.  If I'm not going to be out in the sun very much, i.e., running errands, I just use the BM makeup.

Here are some adorable sun hats from Coolibar that are reasonably priced and made for the whole family.  SPF 50.  I wore a very wide brimmed one in Aruba and reduced how much sunscreen I needed on my face, neck, and shoulders; I even wore it in the water.  Coolibar has a LOT of great SPF clothing and accessories - the best coverups I've ever seen and the best prices on such things imo.  I hope you'll check them out before your beach vacations!

ETA:  Yes, IPW, we're already finding ticks from our walks in the woods.  And, the black flies are out, too.  I like Badger Anti-Bug Balm.  It's USDA organic, all natural, smells pretty good (well, our dog hates it, but we think it's nice), and pretty effective...not DEET effective, but I'm not comfortable using DEET.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Kar, those hats are seriously adorable!

They also had a nice selection at Target recently for not a lot of $$ (Circo store brand).  But I think I might need another because the largest toddler size barely fits 20 month old big-headed DD.
    I have also learned the hard way how important the brim is.  I bought an adorable one with a really wide brim (for more protection!) but the brim is super floppy and it falls in her face.  She hates it and won't wear it and I don't blame her!  A little bit of brim stiffness is needed in our house.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, thanks for the second opinion! :)  Good point about the brims being stiff enough to not flop down over eyes.  This is the one I have, and it kept its shape until I purposefully changed it even in the wind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Fun updates!  Glad people have been enjoying the sun. 

I got a decent hat by iPlay last year at Buy Buy Baby.  It's adjustable, so I got one that was a tiny bit too big when she was 6 months, but still fits this year.  Score!

Happy birthday little july!!

Hope DS feels better soon IPW!!

Daycare was closed yesterday, so I brought DD to the park with my bro and his daughter who is 10 weeks younger.  So fun to get outside and play now that she can sit/walk/swing.  She is starting to communicate more and I LOVE it (knock on wood)!!  Last night when I tried to feed her the last couple of bites of dinner she said, Noooooo and pushed the spoon away.  And earlier in the day I was telling her not to touch my coffee cup and she repeated "hot".  (Cup wasn't actually anywhere near her, was just trying to teach her the idea of hot.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Funny, we brought DD in to my office for marathon day and then did the whole finish line/Public Garden thing. It was a beautiful day and DD looked so cute in her outfit and hat that we took a ton of pictures. Only later when we were looking at them did we realize you couldn't see DDs face in any of them because her little pink bucket sun hat covered her face and did it's job!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I'm apparently bored today at work becuase I've been pondering my new status as a mother and how it's changed my view of the world.  One of the biggest changes is the reaction I have to news headlines having to do with moms and kids.  The reports about the murdered mother and abducted baby in Texas has really stuck with me.  I couldn't imagine taking my baby for a doctor's visit and someone shooting me and taking my baby.  This is something that would have bothered me in the past, but now my level of sympathy and empathy is just so much more greater.  Similarly, when NPR does their stories about the victims of war (whether it be Libya, Syria, etc) and they are interviewing moms just trying to provide food and safety for their babies ... I get so upset now. 

I'm not really sure what to do about this greater empathy, I've just noticed a much stronger reaction to these types of stories.  I'll continue to donate to the Red Cross and other relief organizations... but I guess this is just part of who I am now.

The other thing I've been pondering since being back at work in interacting with a wider pool of people is how seemingly unusual some of my parenting choices have been.  When I tell people that we are co-sleeping with DD, I get some of the strangest reactions.  This is something that hadn't really seemed odd before since 4 out of my 5 closest friends IRL are doing the same.  Similar with my decision to ebf/p.  Again, so many of my friends and people on this board have bf and pumped for all or the majority of the first year that I had gone into this knowing that was what I wanted to do and I was equiped with the knowledge and stubborness to make it happen.  When I tell people that I'm still bf-ing and pumping at work, the reaction is "oh... I could never do that", "I gave up after just a few days", etc.  I usually just keep my reaction very neutral because I know for some it is simply not easy and really stressful.  But I still end up wondering if my choices are really that unusual and if I'm just living in a bubble of earthy-crunchy mamas. 

anyways... those are my thoughts on this quiet day at work. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Boston: I'm with you.  I can't even read the news anymore.  I'm also with you on the BFing thing.  Of my IRL friends/acquaintances/family I'm, by far, the most dedicated BFer.  I can't really understand why more people don't try or give up, but it is what it is and I don't try to play a holier than thou card either.  That's just annoying!  Haha.

Random question to the toddler moms.  So DD is 2 next week.  Did you all switch your kids over to 1% milk on their second b-day?  We don't have a pedi appt. for a few weeks so I can't talk to the doc till then.  My biggest hesitation is that DD is thin so I was wondering if I should keep her on the fatty stuff for longer.  Miss Lily, your kiddos are teeny too, right?  What did you do?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

bostongrl - I totally am with you.  Stories that bothered me before, now leave me feeling nauseated and haunted for days, weeks... Just wait until summer and stories about babies/cars start surfacing.  It's unbearable.

Re: the rest of your post - I've found that people seem to instantly feel judged if what you're saying is different than what they did.  And react accordingly.  Which often comes off as judgmental.  Kind of a vicious circle.  Best to not share very much in that environment unless you want to deal with/address those types of responses.  Better to stick to your RL friends and these boards. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The pedi told me whole milk from age one to two and 2% from age 2 to 3. He said 1% after third birthday.

Boston - I will say that I worked in an office for 20 years and NO ONE pumped. None of the new moms even BF'ed when they were at home. They all bottle fed. And I don't know anyone who co-slept after about 6 weeks. My almost 3 year old twins have never slept in our bed...or even in our room since birth. Cribs from day one in the nursery. It works for us and was one less transition we didn't have to make.
    But everyone makes different choices. You should do what works for you.And no one should judge another's choices. I no more want to be judged for giving up pumping after 8 weeks and formula feeding, than you want to be judged for pumping and nursing for a year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Trouble, we went to 2% milk at age 2. It acutally helped DS eat more food, not that he actually gained weight, but the lower fat allows the kids more room to eat real food.

And now I'm contemplating bringing him down tot 1%, but that's mostly becaues DD will be on whole milk in a few months...and our fridge is only so big!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks Miss Lily and KAM!  2%!

KAM, I hear ya!  My DS will be on whole milk in a few months too so we will have 3 different gallons in the fridge?  Blech!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Makes me think of my friends' fridge (RL = "real life"???) - she's got 'em all.  Fat free for her DH, 1% for her, 2% for first daughter and whole for second. 

I also feel the same way Boston.  News stories that I really didn't pay attention to before really, really affect me.  The recent one where the mom attacked her two kids and set the house on fire... I literally wanted to go to their hospital rooms and tell them they were special even though their mom was nuts.  I kept picturing their little faces and how confused they must have been.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble - how about buying whole for DS and 1% for everything else and mixing for your 2% drinker? It's a thought anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Trouble - we kept DD on whole milk for a while after she was two - our ped had said we could even start (at 1 YO) with 2%, but since she was so skinny I wanted to give her the whole milk to start. At her 2 year appointment the ped had said it was OK to switch to 1%, but we were OK with buying two kinds of milk for a while. I think we finally switched when we had a ton of stuff in the fridge and I couldn't get 3 gallons (2 for DD and one for us) in the fridge, but I also didn't want to have to run to the store midweek. Since she didn't seem to notice the switch, I just kept her on 1%.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Whole milk is about 4% fat.  I'm thinking when DD turns 2 in a few more months (!) we'll keep buying whole and skim like we do now and mix for her.  We drink skim, but indulge in whole for coffee.  :)

Bostongrl... I have always had trouble reading the news, but now it is much worse.  You are not alone on this one.
    Honestly, sometimes I just have to limit my news consumption.  And, along with that, limit my own guilt at not being "up on" the news.  And remind myself that the best I can do is to care for my own family and give what we can to those who are in such rough situations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

ahh... we are THAT family with THAT fridge.  Lactaid for DH, Skim for me and DS, whole for DD, plus out of sheer laziness, horizon milk boxes for DS' lunch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I totally agree with Boston about the news. DH gets really upset about stories with lost, missing, sick or abused children. I simply refuse to read them - I can't take it. And sick parents really get to me too. I've lost two friends who both had children. One had a brain anuerysm and the other had a brain tumor. It's so heart wrenching.

And I swear, the only Disney movie my kids have seen is Cars (the first one). It's the only one I can think of that doesn't start with a dead mother.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

lily - As soon as I became a mother I suddenly realized fairy tales (and Disney movies) were NOT my friend! Very upsetting!

I know this will sound morbid (and self-centered, in a way), but one of my biggest fears is that something will happen to me when DD is still so young that she'll never remember me.  Thoughts that grip you in the middle of the night.  Ack.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

poppy.. I definitely have that same fear that something will happen and DD will never know me. I think that is one of the motivations behind filling out all the little details in her baby book and collecting pictures.  I want her to know what I was thinking leading up to her birth, what was going on, etc.  I've also made her a cross-stitch sampler with her name, birthdate, weight, length, etc with her footprints.  Even in a non-morbid way, I want her to know how much I love her now while she can't understand.  When I was a kid I always got a lot of satisfaction from flipping through the baby book my mom made for me and going through the little sentimental things she had put aside. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

The story that killed me was the mother who was abducted from her car and killed by those two nuts while her 2 year old was in the car.  I could not get the picture of my DD out of my head, sitting in the car, crying for mamma and eventually crying herself to sleep.  Ugh!  Ok, need to clear thse thoughts!

Great idea bostongrl.  I have really written nothing and need to get on board with this.  I just finished studying for 2 professional recert tests over the past 6 months and finally have a little time to breath - at least for the next couple of weeks before DD #2 gets here!

Poppy - I have those thoughts too.  Although I think of it less in terms of her not knowing me and more in terms of what I think I can bring to her life that she would be without.  Probably delusional thoughts about being the best influence on her. :)

Sections
Shortcuts