April Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Re: April Infants & Toddlers

AJuly and LIL, poor kids! I hope everyone is feeling better and has recovered from the trauma (July)! :)

IPW, congratulations of the happy boy! Sometimes when DD has tantrums, I totally feel like I am having a tantrum right back at her. Not a good mama feeling. Maybe I need to check out these books as well...

DD turns 20 months today, how did that happen? Over the last two weeks, the tongue is constantly out and I'm wondering if it's a language thing or teething thing or what, but I worry she's going to fall and bite her tongue or something. Oh, the things we worry about! I'm hoping it doesn't last long.

Another challenge, I had my two nephews over last night (2 and 3.5) and they are holy terrors, they climb safety gates and will not listen, went upstairs in my house and also pulled all the TP off the roll in the bathroom. I am sure this is going to be a situation I encounter again, where at a park or some situation you have a kid you need to discipline, but have no real authority over? Not sure how I could have handled it better, but I tell you, those kids had their coats and shoes on ten minutes before my sister got back from her errands. I'm cured of wanting another baby for at least 24 hours. :) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My DD turned 2 this past weekend!  Where does the time go?  I feel like I just brought her home from the hospital!  (or maybe that was DS - haha) She had a great time and loved her cake and all her presents, especially her Thomas the Tank Engine tent.  It was like toddler crack!  (Is the still a toddler at 2?) Her little brother is so lucky that she's such a Thomas fan.  He's going to get some great hand-me-downs.

I hope everyone is having a great week!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

ML - I would say that as the adult in charge it is not only your right to discipline them but your obligation.  Things like pulling the TP off the roll aren't OK anywhere so you wouldn't be stepping on any "we do things different at our house" issues.  I treat my sister's (and to a slightly lesser degree my brother's) kids the same as I do my own.  And I expect them to do the same. If they are doing something I don't think is ok I stop them and if warranted time out them/remove them from the situation.  I once saw my brother's son (he was 2 at the time) pull back his arm with a Thomas train in it clearly about to bean my mother off the head with.  DH was shocked that I would first yell at him (to stop/don't even think about it) and the remove the train (this was pre-kids for us).  It really does take a village and for those things that are never ok and could hurt the kid or someone else it's fine to stop them/discipline them.

Now stranger's kids are a totally different ball game.  I am lucky that I have never run into the need yet but again I hope I would stick with the "is this dangerous to them or someone else" rule.  But again it hasn't happened yet.

On a sort of aside to this topic, DD1 is 3.5 and a mimic.  The other day she was playing with something and DS came over eyeing it.  She turned to him and said "Don't even think about it." with the exact same intonation I use.  I almost fell off the couch laughing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

ML, when I have our niece and nephews visiting I tell them the rules of our house, no jumping on couches, no hitting, etc.  I have put them in time out before, but my SIL and I have had long conversations about how we are fine with the other disciplining the others kids.  You can also tell the 3.5 year old that your daughter is still learning rules and that "we" don't want her learning bad things.  They might like being looked up to.

Happy birthday to DD Trouble!

DZ, DD just turned 3 and she loves to mimic and be the mother to DS, its quite funny!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

ml - I struggle with how much to discipline other kids too.  We were at the park a while back and a ~5 year old kind of pushed me out of the way to get to the monkey bars.  I immediately said in a gentle voice, Say excuse me.  But then I thought, Oh no did I just say that out loud to a complete stranger's child???  Not a huge deal, but got me thinking about how to handle those situations in the future, either with strangers or friends' kids.

I've been feeling pretty down in the dumps lately and am only just now putting two and two together that it may be related to stopping BFing as last week (or was it two weeks ago??).  Who knows.  The good thing is that DD doesn't stop being adorable no matter how down I am, so thinking of what she's up to makes me feel better :o)

She is showing more and more personality - babbling, following me around the house, hugging me when we're out in public, but then warming up and playing with everyone.  She apparently loves being naked now, so in the evening when she's getting into her PJs she rolls all over the bed and cracks herself up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, how is it going with the end of bfing?  Hope you're doing okay!

We have park/playgroup quandaries a lot (although, ML, no quandary if you're watching them at your house - you're in charge!).  I definitely intervene if someone could get hurt (e.g. a 7-ish kid pulled on my LO's leg when she was at the top of the baby slide), but I'm always unsure about when another kid takes a toy away from her.  It's not a big deal, but sometimes the same kid will do it over and over again, and I don't really want her to think people can just come take what she's playing with.

LIL - our LO narrates her actions all day long now, and then I really hear her working things out in her crib!  It's so strange and funny.  "big ball little ball big ball little ball.  elmo cookie elmo cookie.  all done tubby.  all done tubby.  big girl book.  big girl book.  big ball little ball."  Cracks me up!!!

IPW - great news!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If my kids were misbehaving I would hope some adult would speak to them, but I know most people aren't like that. So I would only discipline or speak to another person's child if they were causing harm (or about to cause harm). So I wouldn't have told that bratty kid to say "excuse me" for pushing, but I would stop a kid from pushing another kid or throwing sand etc. I simply don't want some crazy parent running up to me and saying "Don't you dare talk to my child that way." or some such nonsense.
    And I have two little mimics too. Just yesterday DD said "DS, Knock it off!" exactly the same way I do. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

ML- I think you have every right to stop your nephews from raising hell in your house. In anyone's house. I have learned a few key words in DH's native language while watching my nephews. "Stop" "Don't do that." Not that they listen to me, but they don't listen to any adult.

As for kids on the street, I treat other kids as I want my kids to be treated. If they are doing something stupid or potentially harmful, I expect another adult to say "Feet on the ground" "No running." But I leave it to harmful situations only.

Fram-hormones are mean...I swear mine still haven't leveled off...sorry to say. I still cry easily.  Can't watch the news. That little girl in rockport just breaks my heart. When DS has a melt down I'm typically right there with him. Its tough.

AFM-DD is 7 monts and really trying to crawl. But her main interest is standing. She's started to pull herself up on the crib to standing. You cannot chang her outfits unless she is standing. And real food, she is all about it! Salmon, chicken, beef, real veggies, eats them all and loves it. I can't get any pureed foods into her-she has no interest for them.

DS starts sports school this weekend and is beyond excited. I'm hoping it's a good outlet for his energy. And he feels special. I think the whole "the baby is here to stay" is really hitting home. Though he's very sweet with her. She was chewing on a toy last night and DS started saying "eh eh eh, We don't put toys in our mouth, only food and milk." Just the way DH says it. So cute.

Looks like I'm also going to have a change in careers this summer. I'm really excited and nervous about it. It gets me more tangible skills rather than the soft "Management/consulting/analysis" skills I current have. So my marketability will increase greatly. But it's new and it's scary!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with everyone saying it's your home and that means you don't have to tolerate any and all behavior of guests of any age.

When my cousin was quite little (5 - 7?), he told our grandmother that he liked her house better than his.  She asked why, and he said, "Because you have rules."  Exact quote.  So, don't be afraid to firmly inspire adherance to your rules to whatever extent you feel is necessary to prevent injury or damage to property in your own home.  You'll be protecting the child and your stuff, and if you have someone visiting that can't see the value in that, why are they there?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Thanks Ladies, I guess what I was saying was I was really shocked by the level of disobedience and at a total loss for how to deal with it. I knew I was so lucky I have such a good and easy baby. They climbed over gates, I couldn't even pen them in! I'll learn to handle it better.

On a related note, my mom takes care of DD Mondays and Tuesdays (at no charge, I feel the need to add). On Tuesdays, DD's above-referenced cousins join her and they all seem to love cousin time together. Now, my daughter can handle herself, doesn't cry much and will reciprocate with hairpulling if needed, but for the third week in a row my younger nephew bit DD. (In a separate, almost funny story, the first time it happened we had a super rushed pick up because my mom was going to the theater. She forgot to tell us about the bite. So bathtime came, we found the bite and rushed her to the pedi thinking it was a tick bite with red ring - only to discover it was a human bite!)

These kids are the closest thing she's getting to siblings and I want to foster that bond. And she seems very unbothered by the biting. So, if she's not bothered by it and is asking for her cousins all the time, should I not worry about the biting? Could someone with 2+ kids chime in on this. Is this typical with siblings, and how do you deal with it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

2 is a bit old, I believe, to still be biting.  My DS is a biter and it peaked at about 15 months and now at 18 months it's very rare although it does still happen on the rare occasion.  I'll post on facebook what DS did to DD2 one morning.  It wasn't pretty.

My kids do not get along well someone is always pushing/hitting/kicking someone else.  I spend a good portion of my time with them referring. I think it is normal for siblings especially one who can't communicate yet to get physical. BUT in combination their discipline issues at your house something seems fishy.  Are you close with your sister?  Talk to her about your concerns.  I talk to my sister almost daily and since our kids are so close in age we talk about things like discipline and how we each deal with things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

KAM .. congrats on the new job opportunity.  When I came back from maternity leave I had a similar jump.  Left a job where I felt super comfortable, but with only so-so resume material since it was so specific.  The new job has been challenging and a bit scary, but definitely is giving me new skills and should help move into future opportunities.

nothing to say about discipline/biting ... I'm not looking forward to that part of parenthood.  I am thoroughly basking in this short period of time when DD is too young to be spoiled.  I know in the next month or so we are going to have to easy into a more standard routine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

At that age, I'd wonder after every bite I passively approved of by ignoring it how much closer we might be to a bad biting incident where skin is broken and the bite-ees do mind.  They might not naturally stop biting before it escalates into a real hazard (especially if it gets a payoff from the bite-ee) without consistent correction before that can happen.  It's such a common problem - there must be good books on methods to correct it, aren't there?  I have no idea what to do about it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

All you can do with biting at that age is say "no" and remove from the situation really.  Like all things parenting it's a lot of repetition every time it happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

When DS was biting - around 12-15 months.-We swept in with a loud "NO" and put him in a pack & play for a couple of minutes. We'd soothe DD and then we'd distract everyone to another activity.
    For a two year old I'd do the same thing - minus the P&P - so a stern "No - we don't bite." and a time out or other form of punishment. We tend to put the favorite toy in a time out. Seems much more effective for us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Is the biting a boy thing?  My DD bit a little but only when she was teething, and it was usually us - never her little brother.  Knock on wood that it doesn't start happening!

So DS is 8.5 months old now and I feel like he has decided that he no longer needs bottles/breast.  Especially over the past few days he's been flighting both tooth and nail (pushing it out with his tongue, batting it away, and fussing) but he happlily downs cereal/purees and LOVES his binky.  Has anyone else experienced this with an older infant?  What did you do?  I don't want to be feeding him a couple of ounces here and there all day long!  And of course he can't give up bottles yet!  Any advice or words of wisdom?  

He has also been consipated, but finally went yesterday, and even after that he was still flighting the bottles off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Trouble - Does he like sippy cups.  It doesn't have to be bottles as long as he is drink from something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I agree that if he's done with bottles you can just give him a sippy cup. If he likes eating more, that's a good thing.
    OR...take away the binky. Those things are a menace as baby gets older. They inhibit speech and can be a bear to get rid of. Maybe he'll start sucking on the bottle/breast more if he doesn't have the binky. I have friends who restricted the binky to the crib - maybe that will help?
    Neither of mine would take a binky at all so I don't have a lot of experience with them personally.
    Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Trouble, I feel like DD went through a phase at 8 months where I thought we were done with nursing, but we got through it and nursed for another 4 months.
    If it feels like time for you to quit, it's the best time to do it, but if you want to keep going I think it is a natural phase that will only last a few weeks. Keep offering :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks for your help and suggestions!  He made another enormous BM yesterday so I think he was still constipated!  Poor little guy.  He has such a different constitution than his big sis.  

I was thinking along the same lines as you, DZ & Miss Lily, and thinking about switching him to a fast flow nipple.  I still have him on slow flow because he also nurses.  

ML, his fickleness with nursing has been for about 2 months now.  I think nursing might be done. I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.  He fights it even more than the bottle.  I guess I'll move to EPing for the next 3.5 months!  I hope to at least be able to continue nursing him before bedtime.  It's more of a comfort/bonding thing than a food thing anyway.  We shall see!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I just have to tell you all a yuck story/warn everyone to be on the look out:

We do the bedtime routine for DD1 in our bedroom since the twins are already in bed in her room.  I was sitting on the rocker next to my side of the bed with DD1 and DH on the bed.  I looked over and noticed a bug crawling on my bottom pillow.  It was a huge tick!  DD1 had been outside near but not in some woods on our property so she must have been the carried.  I actually have never seen a tick before since I am not outdoorsy at all but DH and google confirmed it was a wood tick. YUCK!!!!  I of course search DD1 (the other kids got search this morning since they were already asleep) and didn't find anymore.  I also had to strip my bed on a search for more which thankfully I didn't find.  I'm glad I was exhausted from being up with DD2 the night before or I never would have been able to sleep last night.

So be careful out there!! And check the kids every time even it you are just in the yard!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

DZ, I totally sympathize! We live in tick land and have three cats that are allowed outdoors so it is a constant battle.

We honestly do a little tick check every time we change a diaper, particuarly if we have been outside. And baths EVERY NIGHT during tick season for all of us. And the cats are combed and checked when they come in at night. It's lots of work but we love where we live. I recently posted about the bite mark on my daughter and how we thought it was a tick bite and completely went nuts. By comparison, a cousin bite is honestly preferred.

On the upside, I check myself by shaving my legs and moisturizing every day - once tick season is over, I become (as  my husband says) "more Canterbridgean"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Have only caught up through page 8 here, but wanted to respond to some stuff before I forget.  What a crazy couple of weeks.

IPW - so glad his mood improved!!  I agree, I can also deal with tantrums if they are sandwiched between Z's usual sunny disposition.  And she is like your DS - HATES to put on clothes!  Will literally have a complete meltdown if/when I try to dress her.  I'm very glad the warm weather is coming; it's not worth the fight sometimes.

In regard to tantrums in general, I really need to get a copy of Happiest Toddler.  I never have any idea if I'm handling the tantrums correctly.  I tend to walk away (not far away, just sort of turn my back) because I don't really want to engage with her during them.  However, DH and I are running into some conflict over this.  He does not want to just let her be upset.  So he'll say, "what's wrong?" or "What do you want?" which (to my ears) just makes her scream louder.  I have to pretty much leave the room whenever he's dealing with it because I can't stand that he's trying to have a conversation with her when she's thrashing and screaming. :) 

Luv - sorry about the teething.  Have they broken through yet?  We seemed to have stopped teething completely.  I think she might just have these 9 or so teeth forever.

Ajuly - sorry about the stomach bug!  Ugh.  It's just so messy, and so difficult to deal with a cranky, sick baby and simultaneously clean up.

LIL - Z is also babbling her way through the day!  This is new - about a week and a half ago it started.  She never stops babbling!  My favorite is watching her pick up a book (any book - it's often one of my MIL's paperback novels) and just start "reading".  It's so funny!  And she's so earnest!  anyway, I hope your DD is feeling better.

Happy birthday to baby girl Trouble!  Glad she had such a fun time.

Fram - same thing happened to me when I stopped bf.  I hope you are feeling better this week, or are soon...

KAM - congrats on the career change, exciting!  so interesting about how DS is still processing the arrival of his sister.  i am very curious how that will all go when my DS arrives in August.

Re: other people's kids - I have to confess, unless I know a child and already have a fondness for him/her, I have VERY LITTLE patience for other people's children misbehaving in any way.  I told a boy (maybe 3ish y.o.) at the playground the other day "You can wait a minute!" when he was trying to push DD out of the way on a LADDER to get to the slide (and there were at least 2 other ways of getting up to the slide).  He didn't react at all, except to go away. :)  More often than not I find myself saying something before I can stop myself, and although I've never yelled at another person's child, I'm not sure I always couch my words in the gentlest way (especially if DD is at risk in some way).  I'm bound to get into an altercation with a p!ssed off parent at some point.

ML - the biting would send me right over the edge!  I don't know what you should do about it because it's never been something I've dealt with.  I'm impressed that your DD is not terrified of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Poppy's post just reminded me of something else biting wise.  Be careful if you choose to talk to your mom of sis about it of coming off like your kid would never do something like that. 
    When my nephew was younger he was a hitter still is to a degree but not nearly as bad.  DH was very self righteous about the fact that DD1 would never have behaved like that.  While true I told him he should be careful of being too critical of my sister/BIL parenting choices since we weren't done having kids.  And wouldn't you know we now have/had a biter.  :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Regarding ticks - I hear the mild winter will make tick season much worse this year. So be on the lookout. And if you see the telltale bite with the halo go to the pedi right away. Lyme disease is easy to cure if you catch it early - but can be horrible if left untreated. I won't bore you with the stories of my friend who had to quit her job and spend two years in and out of the hospital because of a case of untreated Lyme disease.

Sections
Shortcuts