April Infants & Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: April Infants & Toddlers

I have not been on in over a week and there are many updates.  Happy Bday to all the kiddos.

Poppy-DH and I do not jive well in the discipline dept.  I tend to be more of one to discipline and he tends to just want to make DD feel better and will do anything to make her stop which means give in to her.  I am really have a hard time with this age, 3.  The tantrums are horrible, 100% worse than 2. I know I have brought this up before.    It is very difficult especially after a long day with them. 
    So yesterday, I took DS to his 9 month checkup and it was the worse appointment I have ever had.  Lets start by saying this appt was supposed to be last week with my kids doctor but I totally forgot about it so they fit me in yesterday with a NP I had never seen.   First, she tells me his head grew way too much since the 6 month checkup.  About 4cm.  The kid has a big head to begin with.   Then I explain to her that I think he is behind in his gross motor skills.  He sat up and rolled a little late and still does not wave or clap.  So while she was doing his examine she had this look of worry on her face the whole time.   I swear I was just about to have a panic attack.  So after she was done, I asked her what she though and she said he seemed fine but If I wanted EI to evaluate him she would have that set up for me.  She was not very convincing.   She told me she wanted to consult with the doctor so she went and got her.  Thank god she did because If she didn’t I was going to demand to see her.  Anyway, the doc wants me to see a neurologist about his head.  He might need a helmet but his head is not flat (I don’t get that).  Then She said he is normal low on the gross motor skills and can be evaluated if it would make me feel better.   She knew I was worried and eased my mind a bit.  After I had to go down and get blood drawn for the lead checkup.  Thank god that went well because I was so upset about the appt.  I know in my heart, nothing is wrong with him but no mother wants to here there is something wrong with their children.   Mean While, DD is driving me nuts, not listening to anything I am saying and when we walked in the lab she thought it was for her and she was hysterical.   It was probably the first time I was out with both kids and I could not handle them together.    So, after I got my bearings I called the office to leave a message for the doctor to ask more questions that I had thought of.  I still have not heard from her so I am going to leave another message for me today.  I did some investigating on the charting of DS head.  It seems to me, the measuring was off in the 4-6 month range which is why at this appt it appeared to have grown so much.  Plus, DH family and my sister and I both had HUGE heads when were born and that could be hereditary.  I swear these doctors will drive you nuts. I know they are covering all basis but it still makes you think about the worst.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Also regarding ticks, only about 60% cause the "bulls eye" rash.  So, be on the lookout not only for that but of early symptoms of lime disease because if the bite is in that 40% that are invisible you'd have no idea.  Remember to check the scalp and nether regions for ticks, too.

Now, to make you feel a little better about them, they tend to crawl around on their host for 2 to 3 days before biting.  So, if you check your kids and their clothes immediately upon having spent time outdoors chances are you'll avoid all bites even if you do find ticks.

Another feel good point is that if you do find one hanging on you or your child, just go to the doctor, have it removed by the head, and they'll prescribe one dose of an antibiotic for every day it's been there up to 3 days/3 pills and you won't get sick.  If you check every day at bathtime you'll be sure to avoid actually contracting it that way even if someone gets bitten.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Quad - try not to worry re: the head. My dd had to get an us to rule out abnormalities bc she also has a huge head - as does DH! - I'm sure there's nothing wrong. Plus think abut how much human error goes into the measurements - if your pedi is anything like mine at MGH. GL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The first thing I thought of was that the measurement at the 6 month appt. was probably wrong. I wouldn't worry too much.
    And I totally hear you about how hard it is to be out with two. I don't know what I'd do without my parents. One of them comes with me to doctors appointments. I'd never get through one with the twins alone.
    You are going to have to figure out something with your DH. If you're tough and he's a softie she's just going to go to him to get what she wants. Not a great scenario. He needs to at least say "What did your mother say?" and tow the line.
    Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy (and others), your post about disciplining others' kids has me laughing.  My worst pet peeve is manners, and how kids seem to treat their parents these days.  I don't do it to strangers, but so often have to say "did I just say that out loud" for fear of family members thinking I'm overstepping.  When my nephews say "Mom I want yogurt" before I can even blink I'm saying "PLEASE... Mom may I have yogurt PLEASE."  The mom (and the kids!) quite often look at me funny.  I can't help it.  I'm often saying things like "that is not how we speak to our mom" or something like that.  I'm just amazed at what some parents accept as appropriate in my family/circle and I need to keep my mouth shut before I get a slap :-)  But, I also have no problems telling kids to stop doing something dangerous to them or to my son.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml26202. Show ml26202's posts

Quad - I'm so sorry about your experience at the doctor's office. FWIW, every baby in my family has gone through this same big head scare. We've got big Irish heads (that grow into thick Irish skulls!). Your gut is telling you everything is fine, and I'm sure it is, take comfort in that.

As for the biting, I am not there when it happens so I can't even handle it myself, I'm just wondering how to address it with my mom (she's at a bit of a loss with "the boy cousins" as well). I am not close to my sister at all. I don't think I could have a conversation with her that she wouldn't interpret as self-righteous on my part.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Quad: Sorry about the doc appt!  If it's any consolation DD has a huge head too (95%!!!).  Fortunately, my pedi is very calm and non-reactive.  She just took one look at my husband and figured that was why!  I had no idea that a large head could even be a problem!  I also hear you about being overwhelmed taking them both out at once.  I was at first too but the more you do it the more you get used to it.  You just need to think 2 steps ahead of your older child.  LOL.

ETA: Kar, thanks for that info about ticks.  We live in a beautiful, country-esque town with a lot of town forest, hence a lot of deer, hence a lot of ticks.  We have an acre and my kids have never once been out there because I am terrifed if them getting ticks.  Does anyone on here do any spraying?  Is there a way to get rid of them or at least cut down the population?  DH, myself, and friends have all found ticks on our person after being in our yard at various times.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Quad - so sorry for your experience at the pedi!  I would be/have been upset as well.  I agree with the others - go with your gut, especially if you suspect the other measurements might not have all been correct.  Keep us posted.

I was sort of feeling bad, remembering how I snapped at that kid at the playground last week, once I wrote about it on here.  He didn't seem traumatized or anything (and I think he was older than 3 - maybe 5ish.  We had a playdate with a 3-year-old boy the other day and he seemed much younger than that kid on the playground).  IPW - I think a lot of my impatience comes from a similar place as yours: I can't stand how kids talk to parents, and grown-ups in general, these days. (Man, I feel old when I say things like "these days.")  This is one of the things that annoyed me when I was a teacher.  The kids spoke to disrespectfully to their parents, and teachers had (have) to work extra hard to get them to be respectful in the classroom.  Usually it can be done, but first you have to break them of the habit.

Is this where there was a recent discussion about ticks?  After reading through those posts I became worried because I actually found a tick behind DD's ear maybe a month ago.  But there was no rash and she never had any symptoms (and there continued to be no rash as I would check periodically).  So I emailed my pedi, and FWIW, here's what she said:

"As far as the tick bite goes, you are probably out of the woods at this point.  Usually any symptoms show up 7-14days after the bite.  What you are looking for is a very classic looking 'bulls-eye rash.'  It is thought that everyone gets a bulls-eye rash, however they are sometimes missed because people are not aware the rash can be anywhere on the body.  Not necessarily just around the site of the bite.  However, the rash would also accompany flu-like symptoms (fever & bodyaches).  If she has been free of both the rash & a flu like illness, I believe she is fine at this point!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, if the tick you found was simply ON your daughter, not burrowed into her skin, it couldn't have transmitted lyme disease to her.  The tick has to have lodged itself for the lyme disease to travel.  This usually takes over a day.  This is why doing a tick check at bedtime works.  You can usually get the tick before it is even an issue.  If you miss a tick, you'll see the rash (hopefully). 

My husband works outdoors sometimes and we are diligent about tick checks.  Then, right after DD was born, we were both tired and sleep-deprived and got lazy about it.  He ended up with a really bad case of lyme disease.  I was basically helping/carrying him to the bathroom for a week because he couldn't really walk on his own.  He's fine now, but still--scary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lissa - how awful!  So scary.  DD's tick was attached to her, but not burrowed in, and seemed dead (as far as I could tell).  So I hoped it was ok, but got nervous yesterday after reading some of the posts.  I'm so glad your husband fully recovered!  My cousin and my FIL both had it and had very difficult experiences.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Tetnus shot question: From my own experience, I think it's normal for that particular immunization to cause swelling.  DD had that and chicken pox vacs on Wednesday night.  One of them is swollen (sort of hard) but doesn't seem to be overtly bothering her.  I've called the pedi twice in the past 2 days and don't want to call again unnecessarily... have others noticed that as well with the tetnus?  Or should I call?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I know that both DH and I had that reaction to the tetnus shot but I don't remember a similar reaction with the kids.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your pedi did you a disservice by not mentioning the rash only appears in 60% of people who have contracted Lyme from a bite.  DO NOT RELY ON SEEING THE RASH.

However, there are 3 important facts that you need to know so you aren't in a constant panic about ticks:

1.  They typically crawl around for 2 - 3 days on a host before they bite.  So, if you inspect daily and remove any free ticks, chances of a bite are very low.  (they are not like mosquitoes who land, bite, and fly off)

2.  They bite for 2 or 3 days before falling off, fat and happy, so if you are inspecting every day you'll see it in the process.  They don't hurry.

3.  If you do find one in the process of feeding/biting, even if it's infected you won't get Lyme if you take one pill for each day it's been biting (and, of course, remove it by the head).  If you looked at that spot the day before you know it's only been there 1 day - one pill and the risk is essentially gone.

ETA:  I live in a tick infested environment in the woods near the Quabbin.  I have a big, black dog who plays in the woods every day so we find ticks in the house and on us all the time.  Gross, yes, but not dangerous given these facts about tick behavior.  We inspect every day and that's that.  Yes, they are yucky, and the scary warnings on TV make it seem like Lyme automatically happens if you get a tick on you or your child.  But, it's just not that way.  Inspect every day and you'll see any danger before it can become a problem.  Before I knew to do this, I did get Lyme (2007).  But, after 2 weeks of antibiotics I was fine, and now I know those 3 facts and what to do to protect myself and am not worried about another infection.

ETA:  Poppy, I always have that reaction to tetnus shots.  They are hard and fairly painful for a few days, actually. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I always have trouble with tetanus shots, myself.  Last time I got one I had the DTP shot (combined Diptheria, tetanus, pertussis) and that seemed worse.  I was pregnant so maybe my body reacted differently. 

Keep trying at the doctor, but it sounds like it's just a reaction.  If she seems fine she's probably fine.  Think about how much smaller DD's limb is to yours so how much worse the swelling is going to seem (that's why they do it in the leg until the kid is a certain weight). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lissa - I meant I've called the pedi about 2 other things in the past 2 days... not that I've tried to get through and couldn't... :/  So I'm embarassed to call AGAIN. I'm going to take a peek when I get home and then decide.

BTW, just glanced at our facebook page and love the pic of you in child's pose with an actual child as part of the pose.  :)  Sorry about your sciatica pain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Lissa... I love that photo too... and your comment "why is this not as relaxing...?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hi all! I'm catching up after a busy week. I actually managed to complete 2 (small) freelance projects -- the first real,work I've done since DS was born! Quad, I'm sorry about your doc's office experience. FWIW, I feel like I know a TON of kids with huge heads and all of them are fine. On top of that, I feel like the NP should have had a much better manner with you and not made you so worried right off the bat. Poppy, I had a really hard, painful bump w my last tetanus shot and I remember them warning me that it was among the more painful shots in terms of reaction at the site. Ugh, it's so scary to think about ticks now. DH and I are really into hiking and are hoping to take DS in the carrier on some shorter hikes this summer. I'll definitely e checking him (and us) obsessively when we do. AFM, DS is 10 weeks tomorrow. He's doing well and has doubled his birthweight -- he was 11 lbs at last check! I feel like he's been fussier lately, or maybe I'm just less patient. He's pretty good with grandparents, etc. but the majority of the time when I'm home alone with him, if he's not eating or sleeping, he's starting to whine and fuss. I seem to only manage to distract him with play for 10 mins or so at a time. My relatively uninformed theory is that he's getting more alert (he's always staring wide-eyed around him) and he's frustrated that he can't yet really do anything. He likes being shown new things and brought to new places, but once he's stared for awhile the whining/fussing usually picks up again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I also have a nap question for you all: I've been trying to follow the Weissbluth method of soothing DS to sleep after 1-2 hours of being awake, and I can definitely tell he's tired in that time. But he will almost never go down in his crib or the p'n'p during the day. At night he's great and will often go down awake in his crib without much complaint, but during the day the only things that seem to get him to nap are the swing, bouncy, stroller, or car. I don't want him to rely on motion/vibration to nap, but it's very tiresome to keep trying to put him down in his crib and have him start crying every time, whether I've put him down awake or asleep. Any thoughts? Unrelated, but I saw mention of a FB page in another post. Was that just a reference to a personal page, or is there a group page for these boards?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, I understand you'd want to stop the fussing and make him happy all the time, and of course, infants need copious amounts of physical affection to live. But, what sounded like guilt to me in your post prompts me to share that a little fussing while you talk to him, sing to him, etc., while you're doing what you're doing and he's just with you is OK even if he's not 100% thrilled all the time that he isn't getting your constant, undivided attention.  It's laying a foundation of his eventually learning to be able to entertain himself as he grows.  I think it sounds like you're doing great and are making a wonderful, totally conscientious mother.  In fact, I fear you're too demanding of yourself.  Your son is blessed to have you, and I hope YOU see that as easily as we do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Arcain my DS was a horrible napper when he was younger, up until ab 4 months actually. We would have to take him out in the stroller to get him to nap, the car, the swing etc. I would not worry about forming bad habits yet, lo is still very young. FWIW DS is an excellent napper now, and has been for a while.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for your kind words, Kar. It's not entirely guilt. Honestly some of it is: "I spend all day with this kid; I want him to just be HAPPY for more than 15 minutes!" But, as you pointed out, he will eventually be able to entertain himself better and will likely have more happy time when he does. Ajuly - That's really good to know, thank you! Hopefully my DS will follow the same path as yours! Another random question: Those of you with jogging strollers, when did you start putting your LOs in them? I know they need to be able to hold their heads up, though I've heard some mixed advice. I'm only looking to get a jogger for fast walking -- I go for 4-5mile walks, some on kinda uneven pavement and I feel like I'm killing my regular Graco stroller. I want to get a used jogger and I'm wondering if I should a) look for one with a carseat attachment, b) just get one that reclines enough and make sure DS has extra head supports, or c) wait until he has really solid head control and hope my Graco survives until then :). FWIW, he holds his head quite well right now, but I know he has a little ways to go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure. :)  If he's a little fussy I don't think that necessarily means he's unhappy, he's just being an infant.  I would hate to see you unfairly equate your success as a mother to a percentage of his day you've decided he should be displaying "happiness."  You are clearly successful even if his personality lends itself to being a little more fussy that you anticipated a "happy baby" might look like.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I was curious about the facebook page too...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trouble, just saw your question about spraying for ticks.  I don't think you can (we don't, anyway), but if you inspect carefully every day for free/crawling ticks you'll reduce your risk to almost none.  I get mad at the media for what I see as scare tactic journalism regarding ticks and Lyme.  Yes, Lyme Disease is nasty, and you need to avoid it, but they seem bent on winding everyone up into a panic instead of teaching people how relatively easy it is to avoid contracting Lyme Disease even if you're exposed to ticks.  If I believed how they portray it on the news I'd never leave my house.  We live IN the woods, lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: April Infants & Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I was curious about the facebook page too...
    Posted by jennifyr78[/QUOTE]
     It's not letting me post an actual link, but if you search "Friends of Boston.com Wedding and Parenting Forums" you should be able to find it.
    It wasn't set up as a business so it's just like it's a person named "friends of Boston.com Wedding and parenting Forums" so if you are going to post pictures or look at things it's as if you are looking at your friend's page that you're leaving messages on.

Sections
Shortcuts