April Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

April Infants and Toddlers

Happy April Fool's Day.

I hope all who observe had a wonderful Easter. We took the kids (and my father) to brunch at the Four Seasons. My children had a blast choosing their own food in the kids buffet line (on special low tables) and choosing multiple desserts too. They got to meet the Easter Bunny and have an Easter Egg Hunt too. Afterwards we all walked through the Public Garden so they could see the Make Way For Ducklings statues. "Look Mommy! Just like in my book!!!" Mommy got a much needed glass of champagne and everyone was happy and well fed. They even had a photographer snapping family photos. Don't know how much it is to buy one - but if it came out, it's worth it. I have so few photos of the four of us together. All that activity (plus Easter Egg Hunt and baskets at home in the morning) kept me from dwelling on the fact that it was the first holiday without my mom. I had a good cry about it when I got into bed, but all in all, it was a lovely day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: April Infants and Toddlers

Glad to hear you were able to find enjoyment on what was certainly a tough day, lily.  Sounds like it was a nice time though, especially visiting the ducklings.  I'm sure your dad appreciated having something positive to focus on as well.

We had a busy,but low key weekend.  Family party Saturday, Easter fesitivites Sunday.  It was great having the warmer weather.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

MissLily - I'm glad it was a nice day for everyone despite the sadness. No better way to honor your mom's memory than sharing such a wonderful time together as a family.

Our weekend/Easter was pretty busy. Had a good friend in town Friday night who hadn't met DS yet, and he loved her, so that was fun. We went to Easter brunch at my aunt's on Sunday, and other than that we just took every possible opportunity to be outside. Due to the cold, snowy winter, DS hasn't touched grass since he was 6 months old. When DH took him out to play in the yard last weekend he was kind of freaked out, but by Saturday afternoon he was crawling all around the lawn and getting good and dirty :-). So glad to have the option to play outside now -- much better for staving off toddler boredom!

DS (13 mos) is really fun right now -- crawling and cruising everywhere, though not walking yet. I think he could do it, but he's a bit cautious with new things, and everytime it looks like he might take a step, he seems to think better of it and gets down to crawl. Wonder what it'll take? :-)

Our only really big problem remains eating. Though he has his whiny times, DS is generally really happy, but he is SUCH a bear in the high chair. It's a good day when we get through 5 minutes without whining and refusing food -- even stuff he likes and was eating a minute ago! We've had several instances where he'll give every indication that he's full, but 5 minutes after we take him out he's whining for food again. I try to follow the advice to not make it a battle, but it's hard when we are almost certain he's still hungry but he just wants out of the chair. Various things work a little -- toys to distract him, letting him hold the spoon, doing only finger foods -- but usually not for long. DH is ready to abandon the high chair altogether and just feed him in his bumbo in front of the tv with all his toys around, but I can't get on board with that. I'm just so tired of dreading every mealtime!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, could it be the comfort (or discomfort) of chair itself?  My friend with three 9 mo olds has 3 totally different high chairs that are all very different designs (brands, size, etc) and they aren't all as equally comfortable for all three babies so maybe your DS isn't comfortable with the recline angle, tray height, or something else.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Happy April!  I can't believe my DD will be 3 this month!  Where does the time go?

Miss Lily - sounds like you had a very nice easter despite your recent loss.

Arcain - my DS used to really battle me with food too.  I think after a while it just became our thing  - almost a game for him.  Sigh.  Everything is a lot better now that he self feeds though - hang in there!

AFM, things have been moving and shaking in the Trouble household.  My DD (who is certainly true to the Trouble namesake) informed me last week that she climbed out of her crib to get baby Pooh and then climbed back in.  So I had her show me and sure enough... sigh... oh how I'd been dreading that day.  So she's been in her big girl bed a week and hasn't really napped since except for the one day that she pooped and decided to stick her hand in her diaper and smear it all over her clothes.  Lovely.  She's also been being very fresh with me - telling me to "be quiet" or "shush" or the icing on the cake when we were leaving the playground on Saturday and she said, "I don't love you anymore." Has she gone right from baby to teenager?  And it doesn't help that everyone she meets things she's so adorable and so she gets away with murder.  What do I do with her?

DS (19 months) is good but definitely trying to emulate her bad behaviour!  He talks a lot and is starting to say the bad things she does.  But he also still loves numbers, letters and music.  He reads numbers and letters everywhere - clocks, magazines, signs.. it's so cool!  I also finally switched him completely to sippy cups and he didn't skip a beat.  I think you just have to go at the kid's pace and not listen to people who say they must do X or Y by a certain time.  

Have a great month everyone!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Is he big enough for a booster seat that straps/clips onto a chair, with his plate on the table?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Trouble - Sorry for all the attitude and climbing from DD! I wish I had advice! Glad to know that the eating got better with your DS. I'm just biding my time for now :-).

Kar - He's been in 3 or 4 different high chairs (he has one at the grandparents' houses, etc.) as well as one of those travel high chairs that straps onto a regular chair. Different inclines, tray heights, cushions, etc., and he acts the same in all of them. At home we use a Tripp Trapp chair that leaves him a lot of freedom to wiggle, but it doesn't seem to help (although he probably hates the more standard high chairs more!). And he still needs a tray because when we give him a plate he just wants to throw it.

That's the other *fun* part about this stage. Everything -- food, sippy, toys -- gets thrown on the floor at the first opportunity. DH and I are halfheartedly trying to nip that in the bud by saying "No throw!" firmly and walking away with whatever he threw for 15 seconds or so, but honestly we have so much else to deal with at mealtimes I'm not always consistent on that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain, DD is the same way, after about 5 min she's all set with sitting at the table-but still hungry. But if we, as a family, keep sitting at the table talking/eating, she will start to eat again after 10 min. We just power through her fussing/partly ignore it. Having said that, DS was out of his high chair at 18 mon, sitting in a regular chair at hte table-no booster. So I'm trying to keep DD in her chair as long as possible!

Trouble, I remember DS was about 3.5 when I heard these words "I.don't.love.you!" The moment/reason for him saying it was pretty funny, I doubt it will be in 9-10 years when I hear it more!

Easter in our house was fun. Hid a bunch of eggs all around the inside of the house and the kids had fun trying to find them. DD got the hang of the the egg hunt rathe quicly. After all the eggs were collected DS then tried to sell them to us- $40/egg!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, too bad it's not the seat itself - that would have been too easy, I guess. ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh Trouble - I feel your pain. My twins were out of their cribs at 22 months due to climbing. And they totally stopped napping at 2 yrs. nine months.

It took a while for the novelty of being in a bed to wear off and for them to nap - but I stuck with it and they got better and better. I used to leave them up there for almost an hour before they'd fall asleep at first. I also moved the nap a little later so they were more tired. AFter a few weeks they started sleeping again after only about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes one or the other would fall asleep on the floor playing with toys and I'd just leave him/her. I found if I tried to move a napping toddler they always woke up. At nighttime, I'm still able to move them if they roll out of bed or get all turned around. Seems nighttime sleep is much deeper than napping.

Hang in there!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

KAM - DS needs to eat too early for us to have family dinner, though we're trying to work toward that. He does do slightly better when there's more going on around him, though not always. I have been trying the power through/ignore approach a bit more, too.

Kar - Exactly! Kids seem determined not to let us off the hook with the simple solution :-).

Misslily - I think kids (and especially twins!) should be contractually obligated to nap until at least age 3! Sounds like you've survived okay though :-).

Ugh, so DS has a really nasty diaper rash. He's had one off and on for a week or so, but not bad, but when I picked him up from daycare on Monday our dc woman said he had just had major diarrhea and an awful rash. He's only had one more really loose p00p since, and we've changed him super often, cleaned him well and lathered him with Desitin but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm currently IMing with DH trying to get him to call the doc about it. He works from home and I share an office at my work, so I'd rather not be the one openly discussing p00p and butts on the phone for my entire office to hear...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Arcain, have you tried Triple Paste? It works really well. You can get it at Walgreens, it's probably a little more expensive then Destin but works so much better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Diaper rash!  Now we are in my area of expertise!!  DD has super sensitive skin, and had some tummy issues for awhile.  Do the math!

YES, yes, yes to Triple Paste.  It is expensive but worth every cent! By the time you pay the copay at the DR and buy the nystatin/bactraban, you have already paid for a jar of TP. 

Another thing to try, when you have him at home, is plain corn starch and airing out - its  a complete mess, but very effective.  Dip your fingertips in water, then in the cornstartch and paste it onto the bum.  Let roam free (well, its messy, so confine to pnp).  I did this under her diapers too.  When DD's rash was really bad and raw this was the only thing she could tolerate on it.  Once the rash went down some we (finally - after desitin, balmex, vaseline, hydrocortisone, lotrimin, nystatin, bactraban) switched to TP and now use it for every diaper change.  If she starts getting a little pink, we just use some extra.

Also, if you/dc aren't already, hold off on using wipes for awhile and dab with wet facecloths instead.  And for baths, don't put any soap or bubbles in the water.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks so much, Winter and Nov! This is just so weird b/c he barely ever had any problems with it before -- just a little rash here or there that would usually go away with one bout of Desitin. The only possible food cause we could think of was berries, which he'd had before but much more lately, but we stopped those on Monday and are seeing no relief. I'm definitely going to try Triple Paste! My dc provider suggested cornstarch, too, so I'll do that if the TP doesn't work. We don't have a pNp set up anymore, so I'm not sure about letting him roam au natural for too long, but I'll try anything :-).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I third triple paste recommendation.  Also, no commercial wipes until the rash is gone.  Just use regular TP or soft baby faceclothes wet with just water.  No soap or other chemicals because they will hurt!  it's amazing how quickly the rash will clear even if it's really bad.  Exposure to air is really the best way to fix it.

As for eating, my DD1 was a terrible eater as a baby/toddler. She's getting a bit better now (age 3) but still doesn't love to eat.  She pulled all of the high chair antics you described above.  I th ink you are right that the only real fix for this behavior is time.  But what helped us was taking the tray off her high chair and pulling it right up to the table (and/or strapping her into a booster seat pulled right up to the table) and using one of those disposable placemats that stick onto the table in lieu of a plate.  I would try to eat with her (even if it was just a small snack) and she responded well to that. Also, I'd offer one kind of food at a time, rather than small amounts of various foods, and start with the things he likes "least" and then when he gets restless, move to something you know he likes better.  Keep it interesting to them.  Finally, let him get messy and explore the food on his own even if it's against your better judgment and instinct to keep him and your house clean :)  Good luck!

Trouble, my DD1 told me she didn't love me!  We should start a support group!! ha ha.  If it's any consolation to you, the behavior you describe sounds exactly like my DD1 and how she behaves. Age three has been challenging.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I believe there is cornstarch in triple paste. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

You're right Winter.  The three main ingredients are vaseline, cornstarch and zinc. 

ETA:  When DD had the really bad rash, she wasn't crawling yet, so I could confine her to the activity mat with a towel underneath her.  I don't know how I would do it now!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Another thing that worked for us was a bath with baking soda....no soap, just let him hang out in there for a while, then take him to your bed to hang out naked post-bath for 10-15 minutes, too.  And not using wipes until it clears up is good too.  Air dry for a fewminutes at each diaper change, before you load him up with triple paste. 

Looking forward to the warmer weather in the forecast for this weekend!!! Now that I have a backyard and porch, I want to use them!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Triple Paste is the best! So worth the extra $$$. I used some on my 3 1/2 year old DD last week when she got a rash from diarrhea. Cleared it up overnight.

Had the worst baby scare yesterday. DD and DS made a watery mess in the kitchen and while I was cleaning it up they went into the bathroom. Silly me thought they were going potty. DS climbed up on the toilet and reached way up on a shelf and got the Citrus Magic air freshener and SPRAYED IT IN DD'S FACE! She screamed bloody murder and I practically waterboarded her under the kitchen sink. While I was doing it he started to scream that his tummy hurt (he was, of course naked at the time having stripped after getting wet from the first mess). He had also sprayed himself on the stomach and his skin was all red. So I had to put him in the sink and wash him off with soap and water. By this time the 3 of us are all hysterical. So I called my neighbor. Poor woman picks up her phone to hear 2 screaming toddlers and a crying me saying "Can you come over right away?" She - god bless her - came right over. Thankfully DD seemed fine and the nurse at the pedi said if her eyes weren't tearing, bloot shot, oozing (!) or swelling I didn't have to go to the ER. My neighbor helped us all get calmed down and cleaned up. Anyway - that's what I get for letting them watch Monsters, Inc. There is a scene where Mike sparys himself in the face with Lysol. DS must have gotten the idea from that. (sigh)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

http://www.troublesometots.com/practical-parenting-tips/

This is a hilarious read, and most of it is SO TRUE!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Ten to one, your kids would have done it without the movie.  Really.  They see you spray stuff all the time and they have no idea that those spouts have on/off or a direction.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Tried the Triple Paste tonight -- fingers crossed there's some improvement tomorrow! Thanks for the recommendations! I also decided to try and let DS air dry before I put his pjs on...in his carpeted room. So, now I'm pretty good at cleaning pee from a carpet. Genius, I am.

Misslily, that is so scary! I would have flipped, too. Glad you got through it without a trip to the doc!

Rama, I wish I'd read your advice before dinner tonight. I gave DS his standard homemade veggie burger that I make just for him...which he naturally doesn't like nearly as much as the frozen stuff :). But he was eating it happily. I had some leftover Dr. praeger's spinach pancakes that I planned to give him, too, and I absentmindedly started putting it on his tray before the burger was done. Sure enough, as soon as he had a bite of the spinach patty, the burger was REPULSIVE. 

It's a learning day here in the Arcain household :). Glad I have all you ladies to help me out :).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I have an unsolicited tip for that (and baby vomit on rugs), too.  Nature's Miracle, or other enzymatic cleaner from the pet store.  Takes it all up, and leaves behind no smell. 

Hope you saw some improvement this AM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nov, I have an unsolicited second to NM!  Our dog makes a beeline (why?) for our oriental rugs when she needs to vomit, and Nature's Miracle works reallllllly well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to lizinboston's comment:

http://www.troublesometots.com/practical-parenting-tips/

This is a hilarious read, and most of it is SO TRUE!!!

SO funny! DH was wondering why I was laughing to myself while reading this last night.