April Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: April Infants and Toddlers

these boards really have shown me the way of the enzymatic cleaners!  I'm so grateful for that.  I haven't tried the Nature's Miracle variety, but the Bac-Out I bought at Whole Foods in a moment of crisis has been amazing at removing throw up smell from car seat straps and couch cushions.  Smells like lime popsicles until it finishes airing out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain-could it be a yeast infection? Our pedi has us make our own triple past of desitin (or balmex-which ever)/lotrimin/bacitracin and a baking soda bath three times a day. I've never been able to do the baking soda bath 3 times a day (seriously-who has the time!), but have gotten at least two in a day for bad rashes with this ointment and its cleared up stubborn rashes in no time.

I'm such a firm believer in baking soda baths-its in every single one of the kids baths-I buy the stuff in bulk we go through so much of it. Both kids have eczema & dry skin, and it helps relieve the symptoms of both. Plus my hands are nice and soft after their baths as well!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

KAM sold me, doing an baking soda bath for DS when we get home tonight.  He has eczema and we've had good luck with the Aveno eczema cream but it keeps coming back.  Plus he has a little daiper rash going at the moment so this is exactly what we need!  Thanks ladies!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Me, too!  DD definitly has some dry skin patches, and my hands are a wreck from washing them so much and all the purell.  Thanks KAM! How much do you put in?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

How can I tell if it's a yeast infection? DH said it looked like it had gone down this morning. Worst patches were still red, but they were smaller and DS didn't seem to mind being changed.

I will definitely try the baking soda bath for this and in general. Poor DS inherited Mama's skin. I've gone through 3 tubes of that Neutrogena ultra-concentrated hand cream this winter and I STILL get cuts just because my skin is so dry. Ugh! So, yeah, how much do you put in?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I don't measure out the baking soda, I just put a good healthy dumping of it in a luke warm bath. Sorry I can't be more specific! But maybe even as much as 1/8 a cup, if not more. I don't use any other bubbles or anything else. Its a rare occassion I'll do bubbles.

DD was sent home with what day care diagnosed as Hand/foot/mouth (I didn't think that was it) she went back to school after a good baking soda bath with no spots/sores (another reason I didn't agree with HFM). Now all of her teachers have taken baking soda baths.

Let me know how it works!

ETA:Arcain-last time DD had a rash that wouldn't go away, the pedi told me to make the cream via a phone call-they didn't even bother to see her. Sometimes yeast/fungi infections come in round blotches. Their thought was it won't hurt to treat for it, if it didn't clear up they wanted to see her.

Normally my hands get so dry they crack and bleed-from their baths alone my hands are still dry, but have yet to crack and bleed this year-I'll take that improvement.

And no-I don't work for any baking soda company! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to KAM2007's comment:

And no-I don't work for any baking soda company! :)

I think baking soda is one of those things that will do nearly anything, like white vinegar!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

DS has a rash of round blotches in his diaper area that I had the Dr check out at his last appointment and she thought it was eczema.  It hasn't gotten any better despite daily (on weekends it's multiple times a day) application of the Aveno eczema cream which has seemed to help his other areas of eczema.  To me this doesn't look like eczema and doesn't match the eczema that he has in other areas but I figured the doctor was right.  Perhaps it's actually a yeast infection.  We'll see if the baking soda bath helps!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

We are in a sleep nightmare over here! DD is getting over a cold and double ear infection and for the past 4 nights it has taken hours to get her to settle down for bed. Last night, 4 hours. The second we put her in her crib she starts crying. Normally I would let her settle herself back to sleep, but she gets so worked up it makes her violently cough and so stuffed up she has trouble breathing. 

I am a little worried that this will continue after her cold. I don't want her to get used to being literlly rocked for 30 minutes to go to sleep. 

Any suggestions? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Liz - Poor DD (and you)!  But if it makes you feel better I would say when DD was younger her lack-of-sleep/routine-thrown-off-due-to-cold didn't turn into a habit, or if it did it was only for an extra night or two.  Although I'm sure even that doesn't sound too appealing right now!!  With her last two colds (around 2 yrs), it has turned into a habit for a week+ afterwards.  Fun! Hopefully I have learned from whatever mistakes I made the past two times.

DD hasn't had a diaper rash that lasted more than a couple days, except for once when it was a yeast rash.  That time it looked super red (but again, not an expert) and more bumpy.  Like instead of just looking irritated, I could see so many little red bumps that looked painful.  It cleared up after maybe 4 days on the prescription cream, lots of airing out, and wet wash cloths.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to lizinboston's comment:

We are in a sleep nightmare over here! DD is getting over a cold and double ear infection and for the past 4 nights it has taken hours to get her to settle down for bed. Last night, 4 hours. The second we put her in her crib she starts crying. Normally I would let her settle herself back to sleep, but she gets so worked up it makes her violently cough and so stuffed up she has trouble breathing. 

I am a little worried that this will continue after her cold. I don't want her to get used to being literlly rocked for 30 minutes to go to sleep. 

Any suggestions? 

I literally came on to post the same thing...not due to being sick though, but still in a sleep nightmare! I feel like it's been that way for too long, and DH and I are done- we're not sleeping, we're tense, arguing with each other, etc. It's awful.

Unfortunately I can't offer suggestions, because rocking my DD to sleep is what has us in such a cluster you-know-what! Going to bed initially she's fine, but MOTN wakings- horrible. Wakes up as soon as you put her down and only wants to be held. Last night was 2.5 hours of screaming, crying, rocking, repeat. I can only hope in your case she's back to normal once she feels better, I know for people who have done sleep training, it must be restarted for a bit after a sickness, disruption, etc.

Which leads me to my question- a brief survey if you will. I can't exist on 5 hours of sleep a night anymore. I'll start a new thread for it though. Pop over if you can help!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Baking soda baths are great for regualr diaper rash and eczema. I don't know if they work for yeast but it can't hurt - pedi told me to buy Lotrimin (in the athletes foot section) for the yeast and to use it for as long as it takes - maybe up to 10 days. He also said to keep using it for 5 days after the symptoms subside. Yeast loves a wet environment - so try some naked time if possible.

Triple paste makes a great cream for eczema called Triple Cream - works on stubborn eczema - it's thicker than the Aveeno brand - worth a shot anyway.

And for a severe diaper rash - make sure you put that Triple Paste on nice and thick - like frosting!

Diaper rashes often look like a sunburn - yeast is more blotchy - or has lots of tiny red dots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can battle a yeast infection internally, too.  Yeast thrives when there is a lot of refined food (white flour and sugar, mostly) in the diet.  Also, probiotics (capsules, not yogurt - despite the Activia ads, there's not enough in yogurt to clear up yeast) go a LONG way in creating a skin environment that is highly inhospitable to yeast.  This is true for diaper rash yeast, skin fold yeast, and feminine infections.

eta, I personally love Dr. Natura's probiotics for how many active cultures they contain...11 I think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Did we sprout any muffins with all the baking soda baths last night?

DS had his after I cut his hair-he was then greated by a little girl in his class who immediately went up to him and said "I really like your hair cut." Oye! the ladies are already after my little man!

DD had her first big tantrum last night. She wanted DS' chapstick and I said no. She threw herself on the ground and cried. I walked away into the living room and she followed, throwing herself back on the ground crying again. with no response she threw herself into the toy box and cried more. DH and I had a hard time not laughing through it all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

This is great - I came on to ask for help about DS's very sensitive skin. I am going to try the baking soda bath!!

Arcain - just read your post about your veggie burgers. Would you mind sharing your recipe, or at least the ingredients? I want to try! Thanks!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Sorry for all of you that are battling diaper rash and sensitive skin issues.  DD has pretty sensitive skin and for diaper rash we've used desitin and nystatin (prescription) when it is really bad.  I'll have to keep the baking soda in mind!

Sorry as well for all the sleep issues.  When they are sick it is so tough and all bets are off.

Just happily getting into spring here... DD is 2 yrs 9 months and is doing well.  She got her first scooter and helmet a few weeks ago, so that is fun for her to ride in the driveway.  We are also in the process of moving her to a new bedroom and a twin bed.  Up until now she has been completely content in her crib.  I am due with DD2 in June, so the time is now since we'll need the nursery for the new baby.  Well, this week for the first time, she decided to climb and dive (I can only assume) out of her crib.  She fell and landed on her face and has a nasty scrape on her nose.  She literally shook the floor when she fell and DH and I never went running so fast in our lives I think.  Luckily all is okay - now we really just need to get her into her new bed and room asap!  I know lots of you have dealt with climbing out of the crib long before this point, but it is scary!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I remember one morning, I knew DS was awake (could hear him in the monitor) but he wasn't fusssing, so I was trying to get a couple of extra minutes. Well it became too quiet. I walked in his room and there is on on the crib rail, ready to drop down to the floor. We bought a bed that weekend. He was 2.5 I believe. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I have a question about teething and eating. DD's top tooth just poked through and she is being super fussy with her bottle. She only took 4 ounces this morning, most mornings she is starving and takes 8 ounces. I am sure this is typical, but just thought I would ask for some advice. She has had a wet diaper already, but I am still a little concerned about not getting enough fluids (and calories) in her. Like you all know, we have had weight issues. 

However, she is eating solids fine....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Liz my DD is the same way with teething, she refuses a bottle or drinks maybe half of it, if that. I think the suction might be uncomfortable on sensitive gums. As long as she's eating solids and having wet diapers it's probably fine. Be aware that she might start to refuse or eat less of the solids too, if the spoon is bumping her gums.

She also could just be starting to decrease her bottle intake, I know my DD used to have 6 oz first thing in the AM, now she has 2-4 or less, depending on the day. As they eat more solids, their formula intake will decrease a little.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, a change in the liquid's temperature might help in either direction, cooler or warmer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks, Summer and Kar. She ate pretty normally the rest of the day. I'm sure this is so normal! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Sorry to hear about all the diaper rash trouble.  Ill have to keep the baking soda idea in mind.

We are too dealing with sleep issues.  Ever since DS had an ear infection about a month ago he hasnt been sleeping through the night.  Last night was the worst!  I asked the doctor at his apt today.  She said you have to let him cry.  I said for 45 mins?  She said he will eventually will get tired.  Dont think Ill be able to do that.  I let him cry to for 10-15 minutes then I go in and rub his head leave for another 10-15 and repeat if needed.   Sometimes if he is really upset Ill pick him up and rock him.  She also said the he could be expierencing separation aniexty.

DS had his 9 month check up today.  He is 20lb and 30 inches long!  He is crawling for a little then drops to the army crawl.  He is also cruising the furniture and I think he will be walking soon on his own.  He is also waving hi and bye.  No teeth yet!  And he is so busy, he doesnt STOP!  Cant believe my baby is 9 months already...the time is flying!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(Poppy, I attempted to answer your really good question in the morning after pill discussion.  Did you see?)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hey ladies, I'm looking for general advice on a couple clothing things.

First: shoes. DS (almost 14 mos) isn't walking quite yet, so we have been putting him mostly in booties, since I saw no reason to invest in real shoes. However, since the weather is nice and he really likes walking with help in our yard, I realized this isn't practical anymore. But I just don't know where to start with shoes! Any tips on the buying process?

I'm also, kind of densely, wondering about pajamas as the weather gets warmer. DS has a good collection of fleece sleepers and a few tshirt/shorts sets for summer, but I'm not sure what to do as it gets warm but not hot. I also don't have enough summer pjs, but I'm wondering if I really need to buy them. Do you guys have pjs for your tots for all seasons? Do you sometimes "cheat" and just put them in a onesie? That's what we did last year when DS was tiny, but I think the children's clothing industry has its claws in me and has me convinced he has to have "real" pajamas now. Wow, the dumb things we worry about... :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Arcain - were you spying on me last night?  I just had this PJ conversation with my mother!  This week I started putting DD in her "spring" pjs (cotton one-piece with feet) instead of the fleece ones. I figure she"ll wear these into the summer given that the AC will be on. For the in between days if it is too hot for footies but before the AC goes on I plan to do a onesie with a muslin blanket.

My "cheat" is to buy the bigger sized pjs off season on clearance.  So the ones she is in now I probably picked up last October for like $5.  I also have 2T fleece ones in the closet for next winter.

AFU - DD ate her first real table food meal last night!  I've been givin gher littel pieces along with the puree & cereal, but last night was all table food.  She smashed the peas and carrots, dropped chicken on the dog, and only go tabout 1/2 in her mouth, but she tolerated it well and was a riot to watch!

Sections
Shortcuts