April Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: April Infants and Toddlers

hee hee... I liked your comment about the dumb things we worry about.  :)  We always cheated with onesies and leggings.  But we have tons of leggings - not sure if boys do so much or if you'd still have to buy them.  I didn't like regular cotton pants so much because I felt like they got all bunched up.  I will also confess to loving (loving!) the hanna andersson one piece cotton pajamas.  They have no feet, and we use them year round.  In the winter we do onesies and leggings underneath (and socks), and in the warmer weather, they just go over the diaper.  DD has never slept well in fleece - we have steam radiators, and the temperature fluctuates as they go on and off - she gets all sweaty.  The HA pajamas are expensive, unless you go to the outlet, which I do and stock up.

On the opposite of PJ's, I think first shoes are worth a trip to get sized and get good advice.  Stride Rite has an early walkers line that I liked a lot.  There are a couple of brands that have early walkers where only part of the bottom is a real sole (see kai run, maybe?) but if he's going to use them outside a lot, I would get thee to a stride rite or a good local/independent shoe store.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, the Stride Rite advice has been the best since we were little.  Definitely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

For shoes, I definitely agree with Stride Rite.  Not sure how pricey they are (we have rec'd them as gifts), so if you need something less expensive the key is a flexible sole.

DD is over 2 and I still am thinking about the PJ dilemma for this spring!  I am a huge fan of fleece sleepers in the winter because I hate when her socks fall off.  Not sure what I am going to have her wear in the upcoming weeks... probably cotton shirt/pants/socks.  I believe last summer she mostly slept in a onesie and a sleepsack.  She had an a/c in her room, but I would turn it on super duper low so she wouldn't get cold in the middle of the night.  If we were somewhere w/o a/c, like vacation or Mimi's house, she'd only sleep in a onesie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

On PJs: DD is back and forth between fleece and cotton footed ones now.  I am a crazy PJ person, so the kids have about a million pairs, mostly one piece, although DD (now 2.5) does have some of the 2 and 3 piece sets. The last two summers, though, on the really hot days, I had her just sleep in white onesies and used an A&A blanket as her "sheet".  Planning to do the same for DS (7 months) this summer. 

And I'm a total Stride Rite person.  I think it's worth a little extra money, and I don't go crazy getting lots of different styles...DD always has one pair of sneakers/play shoes and one pair of dress shoes (for church on Sundays, but she wears them all the time).    There's an outlet in Watertown and in Wrentham...I've had good luck there for play shoes...they don't always have a lot of each style, so sometimes finding the right size is a challenge.  I haven't gotten DS any real shoes yet, but for DD, I usually wait for the buy one, get one 50% off sales.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

God I hate stride rite. The service is horrible (in Natick anyway) and they never have the sizes I need. I usually order Pediped or Primigi online.

And we love Hanna Andersson. Their underwear is the best - soft and well fitting and it doesn't lose shape when you wash it.My kids grow out of it instead of it wearing out. Carters and anything I've bought at Target have all ended up in the trash because they fade, shrink and lose the elastic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Aww, I remember Stride Rite when I was a kid, too! Maybe I'll check out the Watertown outlet -- I definitely need someone to help me out with the first pair, so no ordering online like I do for everything else. If I tell myself it will be better for his little feet, I'll be able to stomach spending more than $20 :-).

As for PJs, glad to have it confirmed that I don't have to have the perfect pair for every temp...I may buy him a few more spring and summer pair just b/c they're so darn cute, but I won't let myself go too crazy.

Nov - That's so cute! I'm sure the dog loves this new development. My in-laws' Golden took about 5 seconds this weekend to figure out exactly where she should lie when DS is eating to get maximum food droppage. She didn't even mind being clonked on the head when the sippy was inevitably tossed overboard...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Arcain, if you are near North Reading, Adams Shoe is amazing. They are right on 28 (Main Street). The sales people are very knowloedgeable and they have a great slection, they are probably the same price points as Stride Rite.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think for first shoes (and when you are sure they've outgrown their current size) a trip to a real shoe store is important, because getting someone to measure their feet is key to a good fit, and DD has gone back and forth from wide to regular, as well as sometimes jumping more than one size.  I like the Stride Rite in South Shore Plaza, I've found myself in the Natick Stride Rite once or twice, and for some reason, they tend to be on the ignore the customer end of the spectrum - don't know if I hit them on off days, or they are just bad, but I agree with MissLily that they aren't on the ball.

I wouldn't hit the outlets until you get sized, since the outlets don't always have salespeople around to help out. I have also heard that Target brand (Circo, I think) are manufactured by the same company that makes Stride Rite. I find that the sizes are very comparable, so I get DD sized at Stride Rite, then go and buy the same size at Target (DD needs at least two pairs of sneakers, since her daycare provider has all the kids wear indoor only shoes that get left at daycare.)

As a side note, today in the mail I got a 30% off the entire purchase coupon for Stride Rite good 4/12 to 4/15, so join their rewards program, it is free and you can score good coupons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Winter, I live right near there. Definitely going to try it -- thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Winter - Just looked it up and had trouble: did you mean Abbott?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes sorry Abbott Shoes. My son has been going there since I discovered it when he was 2. We still go back and get his black school shoes there every September.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I actually think Stride Rite has everyone snowed into believing that if they don't pay $60 for a pair of shoes for a 12 month old they are doing some sort of disservice to their children's feet. Is there some study out there that I'm unaware of that shows that parents with lower incomes who buy shoes at Walmart have kids with deformed feet?

My pedi told me to keep them barefooted as much as possible when they were learning to walk. Any my kids HATED shoes for the longest time. I ended up putting them in Hanna Andersson swedish moccasins (leather sole, sock upper) for most outings! Not good for walking in a street, but just fine at the doctor's office or sitting in a carriage at the grocery store.

As for measuring - I'd skip the Natick store for that too. I swear they have no idea what they are doing. And I think it's weird that they measure and then sell you a half size up. I can buy shoes that are too big (or have growing room as they say) by feeling for the big toe myself. They actually sold me a pair of shoes that had some other persons name written inside the shoe. They had been returned and put back into stock. I didn't notice until I got home. Of course when I went back - they didn't have another pair in that size and style. Never again at that place.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

MissLily, TOTALLY agree with you about Stride Rite! First of all, I find it total BS that wearing Stride Rite will help your children's feet grow normally. Such a marketing ploy! When I was little I got all of my shoes at The Shoe Barn in Newton. Anyone ever been there? I don't think it's in business anymore. 

I ventured into SR to look at the baby shoes, and the sales woman went on and on and on about how small DD's feet were. We don't even have a shoe here that would fit her!! Was she a preemie?!?! Ugh....of coure I left worrying that her feet were too small and she will never walk!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, my heels were so narrow that NOTHING fit in most stores even with sticky pads and "narrow" shoes, brands that supposedly ran narrow, etc.  One day (I don't remember this) after an exasperating hour of my trying on one pair after another, an older lady next to us put her hand on my mom's shoulder and said, "My dear, you'll just have to accept the fact that your child has expensive feet," and boy, did I, LOL.  I had to go to speciality shoe shops where they carried AAA.  But, I tell you this to give you hope - not only did my feet grow, but they widened to a B width, too. :)  I still buy expensive shoes, but at least that's not my mom's problem, LOL!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Aracin, let me know how you like Abbott shoes. They have all sorts of brands and styles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - Yes! Thank you. (in reply to your post one page back)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We went to Abbott recently and I did NOT like the salesperson. She was very impatient with DD (2.5 and was very well behaved) and kept only bringing me "girls' shoes". When I pointed to a pair of light gray sandals, she gave me a blank look, then said, "those are boys' shoes." It really irked me!

However, we did buy a pair (the gray sandals). There is a coupon that is accesible from their website that, from what I can tell, is always there: http://www.abbottshoestore.com/#!Deals/c2298 (click "online coupon")

ETA: They did have a GORGEOUS pair of Frye boots that I am still dreaming about... Someday maybe I'll have time to shop for myself while there!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

For those of you still willing to put up with Stride Rite - 20% off coupon code online use friend20, or print out a coupon for the store here: 

http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/20Off_striderite?CID=2013_4_12_facebook_friendsfamily

The offer is good through 4/15, so it really only helps for people shopping this weekend, but every little bit helps, right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Kar - Yes! Thank you. (in reply to your post one page back)

Sweet!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

ETA: They did have a GORGEOUS pair of Frye boots that I am still dreaming about... Someday maybe I'll have time to shop for myself while there!

[/QUOTE]

Frye boots last forever, especially if you take care of them (take them to the shoemaker once a year or so)  protective soles/re-sole, heel protectors.

I have several pairs that are over 10 years old and they still look like new, and are very comfortable.

Quality lasts, I occasionally get shoes/boots at Marshalls too, and they are okay, but no comparison to the real thing!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Poppy, that's unusual about the sales girl not being helpful. You should have told the manager/owner. They also give you this card and stamp it and when the card is filled you get a discount. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

MissLily - I am totally with you as far as not buying the hype in life... But I have to say that DD has had SR, Target, Keds, Payless, and miscellaneous Amazon.com shoes, and SR has seemed by far the best to me.  I definitely agree with the advice to keep babies barefoot as much as possible when learning to walk.

Winter - Thanks for the shoe store rec - a friend had mentioned a place she thought was in Stoneham, but I bet she was thinking of Abbott.

What's everyone up to this weekend?  We have a 3rd bday party on Sunday so that should be fun.  I believe there will be a bouncy house.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes it must be Abbott in North Reading. The only shoe store Stoneham has is Famous Footwear and a Red Wing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We only buy shoes from SR when they are on sale. And the sale people in Natick are hit or miss. We do have good luck with Norstroms in their semi annual sale. Also had good luck with New Balance outlet store. I've heard the shoes at Payless are actually pretty good for little one's feet. I tried to convince DH of that but he was not buying it-hate their adult shoes.

My gripe right now is why stores seem to think that boys no longer need pants! I'm trying to find light weight pants for DS, and Carters stops carrying them, online they have two pairs to choose from. I haven't been able to find any light weight ones for him for a while just heavy sweat pants, cords, or jeans. But with spring I'm looking for ligher weight cotton stuff.

As for spring/fall PJ's I would take the two pack pant sets from carters with a onesie and use that, socks for colder nights. I've actually done this all winter for DS, take his older pants that are too short and now have PJs. I try and avoid the flame retardent chemical/polyester materials at all costs.

Big stuff for DD-her first two word combination today! Getting ready this AM she looked in the mirror and said "Bye bye baby." sniffle, my baby is growing up!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to KAM2007's comment:

We only buy shoes from SR when they are on sale. And the sale people in Natick are hit or miss. We do have good luck with Norstroms in their semi annual sale. Also had good luck with New Balance outlet store. I've heard the shoes at Payless are actually pretty good for little one's feet. I tried to convince DH of that but he was not buying it-hate their adult shoes.

My gripe right now is why stores seem to think that boys no longer need pants! I'm trying to find light weight pants for DS, and Carters stops carrying them, online they have two pairs to choose from. I haven't been able to find any light weight ones for him for a while just heavy sweat pants, cords, or jeans. But with spring I'm looking for ligher weight cotton stuff.

As for spring/fall PJ's I would take the two pack pant sets from carters with a onesie and use that, socks for colder nights. I've actually done this all winter for DS, take his older pants that are too short and now have PJs. I try and avoid the flame retardent chemical/polyester materials at all costs.

Big stuff for DD-her first two word combination today! Getting ready this AM she looked in the mirror and said "Bye bye baby." sniffle, my baby is growing up!

I have the same gripe about pants for my DD! It's not summer yet but all that's out are shorts, skirts, capris, etc...what about the inbetween temps. where it's not winter anymore but definitely not summer yet? It's been a fruitless search for me...

Fram- this weekend for us is doing things around the new house tomorrow, including getting a fence estimate (fun! $$). Then I'm doing for a girls' night out for Mexcan food...currently contemplating what flavor of margarita I plan on enjoying :) Sunday my mom is bringing my grandparents to visit our new house.

Sections
Shortcuts