April Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: April Infants and Toddlers

KAM - I have the same pant issue, but for my toddler daughter. It's all shorts and skirts and jeans and leggings. Am I alone in having a child who REFUSES to put jeans on her body? I think the material is too stiff for her. Anyway, I don't understand why it is so diffcult to find plain cotton pants that aren't leggings. I have actually gone into the boys' section at Carters and other stores to find pants for her, but like you said, there isn't much selection there right now either. And so cute about the "bye bye baby!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-DS refused to wear any "real" pant for at least two years-only this past year-3.5 to now has he started to wear anything that has a button to it. And he's a skinny kid so they're all big on him-so it's not like it's tight or anything.

I always try and stock up on the next size when it goes on sale, but there has been nothing for boys, I've managed a decent stock for DD. DS has grown so much this past year I can't use his pants from last year-they're either totaly destroyed or too short and only suitable for PJs. Gymboree had nice stuff last fall for DD-I haven't checked them lately...guess I'll check them this weekend.

It also doesn't help that DS is between department sizes-no more toddler sizes and not quite kid sizes. I remember that stage growing up and hated it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - DD (2.5) also doesn't care for jeans.  One time recently she wore them (because we were both wearing them and she wanted to be like mommy/daddy).  But in general, it's all leggings all the time.  I try to get either longer shirts or short dresses so that she doesn't look preposterous.  I agree that it's super hard to find knit pants that are not either leggings or too-hot sweat pants.  One warm weather find I am excited about is a bunch of skirts from Old Navy where all the toddler sizes come with attached shorts.  Yay!

KAM - that is so adorable / heart wrenching!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I find searching for affordable boys clothes totally exhausting. It's all graphic tees and cargo shorts. I just want some cute polo shirts and some lighweight khaki pants or shorts. I don't know why little boys have to look like teenage slobs at age 4.

Gymboree has some decent stuff most of the time - also Bodenusa.com. Got my son the skinny jeans at Boden and they are sooooo cute.

My DD doesn't like jeans either. When I put them on her she squats into a deep plie and tried to stretch them out. Just like Mommy when the jeans are fresh out of the dryer!

Have a great weekend everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

For all of you mamas looking for pants, two words: Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Just went there tonight to get DD more pants, because she is busting out of her 6 months! They had a ton on clearance. Which is even better! And Misslily, TONS of polo shirts and khakis for boys! 

Fram, we are packing (we move on the 29th, thank GOODNESS), and Sunday, DD is going to her first Sox game with us!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Misslily - have you tried Old Navy online?  They have a lot of unembellished polo shirts in the toddler boys section (up to 5T).  The shorts do tend to be more the cargo shorts type, but they have a few pairs that are not.  You can also get the most basic of the basic if you click on "uniforms" in the sidebar.  Completely plain polos and khaki pants.  Might be worth also looking at other places that have a school uniform section.  Land's End comes to mind, although not sure if their sizes go down low enough.  HTH!

I don't love shopping for clothes online, but I have found that the stuff in the stores tends to be more with pictures and stuff on it.  I was pleasantly surprised with Old Navy online - summer skirts and shirts for DD that are just... normal.  Solids and stripes, and a few cute patterns.  Definitely not Boden or Land's End quality, but good summer choices where they will be put through day care, dirt, sand, and sunblock!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure what is reasonable as far as price goes, but LL Bean has polo shirts and long sleeve Ts both for $17.

ETA:  I remember hating jeans until they added SPANDEX!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We do buy Old Navy Polos and khakis. I have bought from the uniform section before. Especially in summer when the clothes are going to get trashed outside playing I don't like spending a fortune. It's just funny that there are racks and racks of "message tees" and baggy pants everywhere. I guess I'm just totally out of step. :)

My DD's favorite outfits are always leggings and a tee or a sweater.

But as usual - it's the afternoon and they have both taken off their bottoms. I don't know what it is, but around this time of day, they go to the potty and just never get redressed! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Funny-all DS will wear is sports related things. Give him a nice polo and he'll refuse. It's not worth the struggle with me. so mesh sports shorts and a sports, mostly soccer, shirt in the summer, and pants and the sports shirt with a long sleeve under in the winter. If only he ever wore the nice polos I got him. 

I find Old Navy clothes are always too short for my kids...length wise they out grow them way before width wise. I usually get good deals at Lord and Taylor clearance section. The TJ/Marhsalls by me have had nothing this year-total disappointment! Bodenusa looks adorable-I just know DS won't wear them, they're too cute, sigh.

My PSA-Tick season is here! DD spent a lot of time out side yesterday playing in a field, a play ground and on a nature walk with us, about 30 mins after we got home DH brought her to me saying "what's that on her face?" A tick. Yuck. I always check give the kids a quick check when we go in, and a thorough one at night (and have never found one before), but we got home late and it was dinner time so I rushed to make dinner. Of course the one night and there was a tick! Thankfully we got it off of her quickly-I don't even think it bit her, if it did it was only there for about 30 min-not enough time to transmit anything-but we'll still be watching her for signs of infection. Make sure you start checking your little ones!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Winter, DS was sick and grumpy Friday so I didn't dare take him shoe shopping, but hopefully we'll go next week. Will let you know how it is!

Re: jeans on kids, I think they're just saying what we all don't want to admit: stretchy pants are more comfy and just make so much more sense :).

So, I have tomorrow off and have a couple big house projects to do...no intention of even doing anything relaxing for myself! DS's daycare is open and he usually goes on Mondays, so I was planning to just send him, but I'm feeling stupidly guilty for sending him to dc when I could have him home with me, even though I'll get 5x more done with him there AND it won't break his routine. Anyone else go through this with days off? DH thinks it should be a no-brainier, but he doesn't quite get mom guilt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Just wanted to drop in and say HI to everyone. It's been quite a while since I have posted.  I hope the warmer weather is here to stay.  DS, two this week!!, wants to go outside ALL the time and when it's been 40 and drizzily I do not want to go!  We're having a small family party for him this coming weekend.  I didn't want to invite all the toddlers he knows to come over figuring it would be mayhem.   I'll leave those parties for when he asks to invite someone. Grammy will do for now!   

2 is really a fun age (er, well most of the time).  He's got a temper like you wouldn't believe (maybe it's the red hair)  but he's also super sweet and asks for hugs and snuggles too.  

He's growing out of his shoes, converse allstars and the next size up is huge. Thinking we may have to go back to stride rite.  Hopefully they have something cute and not $50.    We have See Kai Run sneakers now but they are soft soled and not good for muddy park days.  That's a great shoe brand for new walkers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

KAM, it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for that tick to have bitten.  IMPOSSIBLE.  Here's how I know.  You said you got it easily off her face, it was crawling, and it couldn't have been there more than 30 minutes.  A tick embeds most of it's head (which consists mostly of mouth parts) into the host to feed, and it feeds for 3 whole days as it swells up to many times its non-bite size.  It is very difficult to remove for the 3 days it's feeding.  Then, FAT and happy after 3 days of sucking blood, it drops off the host.  So, if you see a tick crawling around, it hasn't bitten yet.  They do NOT bite and let go without feeding.  (And, furthermore, they don't typically start feeding for a day or two after crawling around, anyway, but in this case that is neither here nor there.)

ETA:  But, it is gross and disconcertaing to find one, anyway, I understand.  A tick that is feeding looks like an inflated lentil or a dark skin tag - you can flop it up and down at the neck.  Anyway, at least you know this one couldn't have bitten her and you have nothing to watch for.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I work in a high school.  I can attest to the fact even teenagers don't wear real pants anymore. It's all leggings and sweats.

If I were as flexible as my daughter and it were socially acceptable to wear brightly-colored leggings and run around with my legs akimbo, I'd do it too haha.  DD is a girly girl, which is weird for me because I was always a tomboy.  her insistence on wearing skirts and dresses is so odd but whatever.  As long as she wears leggings underneath so she's not cold and she can run around and hang upside down and whatever, it's fine with me. 

she really wants to wear "pretty" shoes.  I keep trying to indoctrinate her with the idea that shoes have to be COMFORTABLE and PRACTICAL, for running and jumping, and it doesn't matter what they look like.  I"m not sure the lesson is sinking in.  I don't even want to think about when she's a teenager and we have to go bra shopping. oh well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lily, surprisngly Target has cute boys polo shirts and khakis. My DS likes the Shaun White collection. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Hey ladies, wanted to check in, everyone okay?  Another one of those days that you just want to sit at home and hug your kiddos.  Happy that I was off for the day with my little one.  Took awhile but finally got confirmation from all family and friends in Boston that they are okay, a few displaced but healthy.  My thoughts and prayers are with all of those injured in yesterday's senseless attack.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thankfully, all of our firends and family are safe and accounted for.  My heart is broken for those who cannot say the same. 

Arcain - I'm a couple days late, but am here to back you up, and commiserate in your guilt.  I also sent DD to daycare yesterday and spent the day doing things around that house that I could never get done with her around - mostly becauase I would rather play than do them.  It took awhile, but I convinced myself she would have more fun there than hanging in the pnp watching me clean closets and wash comforters.  How did your day go?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We're all okay on our front...aside from still being in shock about it all.  I'm grateful in many ways that my kids are so little and don't really have to know about what happened yesterday, and that because of them I couldn't have the TV on for most of the day. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Just coming on to check in. We did not go down to the marathon at all this year, but my cousin has run it 4 times and if she had run this year my entire family would have been at the finish line.

So horrifying what humans are capable of, but also so amazing to see the good and bravery in people. The first responders could not have known if any other bombs were about to go off when they went running in there. Very humbling.

Hope everyone here checks in at some point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to poppy609's comment:

Just coming on to check in. We did not go down to the marathon at all this year, but my cousin has run it 4 times and if she had run this year my entire family would have been at the finish line.

So horrifying what humans are capable of, but also so amazing to see the good and bravery in people. The first responders could not have known if any other bombs were about to go off when they went running in there. Very humbling.

Hope everyone here checks in at some point.

My husband's boss was running, and we had several friends who were in the area as spectators. They had been sitting 30 yards from the first explosion, though I believe they were there earlier, luckily. I just hope they can figure out and bring justice to whomever is responsible for this. It really makes you afraid to go anywhere nowadays (or is that just me?)

Arcain, as a teacher with pretty frequent holidays and vacations, I decided early on that during those weeks and during the summer, I'll still send DD to daycare part time. In cases where I have a week off, like this week, I send her 2 days a week (she normally goes 4 days).

She absolutely loves her daycare and all of her friends there, and I know she'll have tons of fun. I on the other hand, can get thigns done around the house - I just came in from doing 4 hours of yardwork. Over my summer break, I'll still be sending her 2 days a week- she loves it, has fun, it keeps a bit of her routine. Plus I need to take a grad class this summer, so this will give me a chance to get coursework done. I also figure I'll use one of those days to do my food shopping, laundry, housework, etc. That way on the days she doesn't go to daycare, and on the weekends, we can do fun things as a family without chores getting in the way :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

So scary and sad. Shameful to turn an event that is shoelsome and welcoming to everyone and terrorize it. Thankfully all those that I knew running yesterday finished and were on their way home before the blast. Some friends were cheering others on and were knocked down by the blast, but they are okay. I'm thankful that I could avoid the TV/Radio and be with DS and DD and not obsess about all the details as they emerged. This morning DS noticed something was different as he saw more security as we got to his school. Thankfully he was fine with a simple explanation that the police/guards are just making sure we stay safe.

Hope everyone else is safe!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Glad all who have checked in are okay. We are, too, though I turned down free tickets to sit in the bleachers at the finish line. So glad I didn't go. We had a team running for the nonprofit I work for, so it took until evening to make sure they were all okay, but thankfully they were, too.

I gave in to the urge to just devour news about this yesterday; even kept the tv on when I was playing with DS. He was in such a happy mood and such a wonderful antidote to what I was seeing/hearing. I'm grateful to not have to explain stuff like this to him yet, though I know that won't last long...

Nov, sorry you dealt with day off guilt, too! Up until I heard the bomb news, my day was great. We just had a new front porch put on and I had to paint the railings. It took me way longer than anticipated, so I'm glad I sent DS to daycare. Even if DH and I had both done it, it would have taken more than a few naptimes to complete! I still felt off all day, though, as I have when I've sent him to dc on days off before. How did it go for you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Scary to think that you could have been there.  Aside from the obvious, my day was good too.  I immediately felt better when I dropped her off and there were more than a handful of her classmates already there. I think that was my biggest worry - that she'd be the only one there.  I went out to breakfast then went like a mad lady cleaning closets, stripping all the beds and washing comforters, getting out my summer clothes and putting away my winter ones.  Then I took the dog or some one on one time at the park, and installed DD's convertible seat.  I feel the same - incredibly grateful that I don't have to explain it to her.  After I picked her up I took some time to just watch her play - oblivious to the horror of the day, just going about her business knowcking over stack cups and squealing in delight. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

ugh, horrible.

DH and I were having a lovely child-free date until we got a text from my Mom that my sister and her boyfriend (running) were "OK and evacuating."  So then I called my mum and found out we should turn on the radio.  Baby sister's boyfriend finished the race literally 10 minutes prior to the explosions.  So we're very lucky but oh, those poor people who aren't.  It makes me feel nauseous every time my mind wanders to it.  Poor DH is a bit of a wreck.  This hit him harder than I've ever seen anything affect him.  It's almost nice to be able to focus on taking care of him instead of thinking about it. We're hoping DD doesn't hear anything at daycare about it.

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2013/04/talk-children-marathon-bombs

Oh, for the good old days when parents only had to think about how to talk to their kids about sex. sigh.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Glad to hear people checking in.  I was at work a couple of blocks away.  We heard the explosions and were confused and panicked.   I can't even imagine how it was for the people on Boylston.  There were so many strollers around, I remember noting when I went out for lunch.  When I left there were miles of ambulances lines up - Just horrible!  I was so happy to get home and squeeze my kids - who know nothing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I was wondering about everyone else. My office is two blocks down from the finish line on Boylston. My family - DH, DD, Mom and MIL all came in so we were right nearby, frighteningly close, but DD was thankfully interested in running around and feeding the ducks so we were in the Public Garden mostly.

We took a ton of pictures, and found one that shows in the FAR background a man putting a big black something in a trashcan nearby (he's not a city employee, and it wasn't another trash bag. Yes, We submitted it to the FBI.

Glad everyone is safe. My office was closed yesterday because of the investigation, but we are business as usual today. Except I can't concentrate and want to be home holding my daughter! When we were trying to get home, we had to walk to North Station the long way (not over Beacon Hill, which they blocked off). I didn't want to let her go and put her in the carriage, I wanted her attached to me. So I carried her 2.5 miles. She was my own little marathon workout (at almost 30 lbs).  

Sections
Shortcuts