April Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April Infants and Toddlers

KAM, I hope you saw that you don't have anything to worry about regarding the tick - long story short it couldn't have bitten DD.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Wow, ML.  So glad you and yours are safe.  Was the person wearing a blue fleece?  I ask b/c there is a photo all over facebook with a guy in a blue fleece carrying a black backpack on his forearm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks Nov. He's wearing dark clothes, the top was bluish, dark either way. Same build and walk as the guy on the rook that's circulating twitter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Wow, ml! I just saw a breaking news headline that they have a photo of a possible suspect...wonder if it's the same one. I need to stop checking news sites every 5 minutes...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi all, just wanted to check in. Today is my first day of work since the bombing and I CANNOT CONCENTRATE!! Just want to keep checking the news.  Crazy that you found that picture ML.  I hope thateveryone who was there will check their phones and send whatever pics they have.  I actually called the FBI too because I was watching the marathon in Newton earlier in the day and saw a man who was carrying a large black backpack and acting "odd" - not talking to anyone, not watching teh marathon and kind of aimlessly walking around. We noticed him and, at the time, thought he was tryingto break into some of the cars that were parked on the side streets leading to Commonwealth avenue.  Now thinking back, I am wondering what was in his bag.

So thankful my kids are young enough not to have to explain this to them but fearful that someday there will be a similar incident we will have to explain. Sad times. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hey ladies! Been quiet on here for a few days. Hope everyone is getting back to normal after Friday's madness. I'm taking a personal day today. I was still exhausted from last week/weekend and being woken up by a dying smoke alarm beep at 3 a.m. today sealed the deal.

DS turned 14 mos on Friday (of course I didn't realize it until the next day!). He had a big weekend. Started really standing on his own, including pushing up from a sitting position on the floor. He works so hard at it and seems to think it's a game -- probably bc of our excited reactions! He's also started saying "daddy" and occasionally "mama" when clearly referring to us. Up until this weekend it seemed pretty random. DH gets up with him most mornings because I leave for work super early, so when I got up with him this weekend, I had to answer his inquisitive "Daddy??" when he saw me instead of his father. Thanks a lot, kiddo :).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Kar-I saw you posting about the tick and DD-I wanted to just give everyone the heads up that the ticks are already out there in force this year!

I was thankful they captured the bomber Friday night and it didn't drag into the weekend. It's tough to keep up with the news and not expose the kids, espcially DS, to it these days. And it was hard not to be glued to the news with Friday's developments.

Anyone have any fun spring time plans?

My goals for this spring are to plant gome veggies-we're typically traveling in the planting season - this year we're not so I'm really hoping to get a few tomato plans in, maybe a blueberry bush. But we have a big tree that is starting to rot that we need to take down-but our small plot of land makes it hard (it requires a crane) and our neighbor didn't appreciate the last time we took down a rotting tree...so I fear if I plan it will all get squashed when we take the tree down-oh well!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's good KAM - didn't want you to think there was even a slim chance that that one had bitten her; since you said you were watching for possible signs of infection I misunderstood and figured I'd let you know there's no sense worrying if it's impossible to have happened.  

They ARE out, though, for sure - we have a black dog who is often in the woods - a BIG tick problem.  Again, though, if anyone sees a tick crawling around on yourself or someone else, aside from it being disgusting to think about, it is nothing to be concerned about because they feed for 2-3 days after latching on/biting.  They do NOT bite like a mosquito and disappear.  It's only a problem if it bites in a place (scalp, for instance) where their swelling body would be missed by a tick check while they are hanging there. So, pay especially careful attention to hair covered areas where a tick could bite and stay hidden for the days it feeds.

your neighbors will have to live with your removal of a rotting tree - what gives with them?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to KAM2007's comment:

Kar-I saw you posting about the tick and DD-I wanted to just give everyone the heads up that the ticks are already out there in force this year!

I was thankful they captured the bomber Friday night and it didn't drag into the weekend. It's tough to keep up with the news and not expose the kids, espcially DS, to it these days. And it was hard not to be glued to the news with Friday's developments.

Anyone have any fun spring time plans?

My goals for this spring are to plant gome veggies-we're typically traveling in the planting season - this year we're not so I'm really hoping to get a few tomato plans in, maybe a blueberry bush. But we have a big tree that is starting to rot that we need to take down-but our small plot of land makes it hard (it requires a crane) and our neighbor didn't appreciate the last time we took down a rotting tree...so I fear if I plan it will all get squashed when we take the tree down-oh well!

Would your neighbors prefer said rotting tree to land in their living room during a big storm? :-P

As far as springtime plans, I just can't wait to take day trips like lunch at the beach, the zoo, aquarium, etc with the nicer weather. We're also hoping to fence in our yard, so we'll have a more private backyard for DD and the dog to enjoy :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Nice to see things getting back to normal around here!

KAM: Seriously?  Ticks already?  Ugh! I wish there was some way to spray for them or something.  Our yard is infested with deer (and consequently ticks) since we abut conservation land.  I would love to get a fence in but I'm sure that would be crazy $$$.  Sigh..

DD turned 3 yesterday!  I can't believe my baby girl is 3!  Well, I guess I can when I consider how defiant she is and how much backtalk I get these days!  We had a great day yesterday!  We celebrated by having a friend over whose birthday also was yesterday and decorating cupcakes. They all loved it!!  A practice run for her party on Sunday.  It really was a much needed burst of happy after last week.

Hope EOE is well!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Kar-I totally understand you're point! there was such a slim chance of DD getting infected, but as a mama bear I still worry and watch! ;)

Summer-yes, I think they would prefer it fall! The last rotting tree we took down, when we told them the crane was coming, she marched over to our house and questioned me if I "hired a professional" my initial response was to say "no, we hired migrant workers, with a pully system and a butter knife..." the entire time she was out there yelling and threatening the crew.

Happy Birthday little Trouble! Decorating cup cakes so much fun! We've replaced all the fencing at our house and yes, $$! If you don't have it/need it don't do it! DH did put some anti-grub/bug control stuff down on the law that helps repell ticks. Geranium oil repells ticks, you can put a drop on your kids head as they head outside and it helps repell them.

I'm really hoping to try Davis Farmland this year. Everyone raves about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to KAM2007's comment:

Kar-I totally understand you're point! there was such a slim chance of DD getting infected, but as a mama bear I still worry and watch! ;)

Summer-yes, I think they would prefer it fall! The last rotting tree we took down, when we told them the crane was coming, she marched over to our house and questioned me if I "hired a professional" my initial response was to say "no, we hired migrant workers, with a pully system and a butter knife..." the entire time she was out there yelling and threatening the crew.

Happy Birthday little Trouble! Decorating cup cakes so much fun! We've replaced all the fencing at our house and yes, $$! If you don't have it/need it don't do it! DH did put some anti-grub/bug control stuff down on the law that helps repell ticks. Geranium oil repells ticks, you can put a drop on your kids head as they head outside and it helps repell them.

I'm really hoping to try Davis Farmland this year. Everyone raves about it.

Davis Farmland is really great! I can't wait to take DD. My dad took me there when I was younger, and I've wanted to go back in recent years. However, adults need to be "accompanied" by a child to get in!

ETA my question re food. DD is 10 months and has mastered the pincer grasp and loves eating puffs, cheerios, and shredded cheese. I've also given her tiny pasta, scrambled egg yolk, banana, avocado, cooked apple, and last night tried ground beef. She won't eat anything but puffs, cheerios and cheese by herself. She still gets purees at each meal, but I feel like she's getting old for "baby food". I know it takes lots of repeat exposures to get babies used to foods before they decide if they like it, but I'm not sure what else to try feeding her. Can I keep giving her purees? How old is too old for them? I want to try toast with cream cheese next but I don't know what else to give her!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - DS, also 10 months, is still getting purees at every meal but he also gets a bunch of finger foods.  I've been trying to cut back on the purees but I always give at least one to make sure that he's eating something.  I believe at 1 year they are suppose to be on all table food so you have a little while before you need to back off of them.  Here are a few other things we've done with DS: steamed zucchini slices, Amy's bean and rice burritos (he LOVES these and they have lots of protein which makes mama happy because my man is a peanut), grilled cheese, lasagna, meatballs, chicken nuggets and raisins.  I keep trying new things with him and some days he likes it and some days he looks at me with disgust.  Good luck!

I've been wondering how you deal with getting rid of the morning bottle?  As we approach a year I'm all set to make the transition from bottles of formula to sippys with milk but I still sit and give DS a morning bottle before we head off to daycare.  DS will hold a sippy cup while sitting in his high chair but won't hold a bottle for me so once we transition do I sit him in his high chair and give him a sippy?  Or does this am bottle go away at some point?  Daycare doesn't do breakfast until 9 am and he gets up at 630 am so that seems too long to go without something.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Okay, 10 mo is still little! Sounds like they are doing great with eating! Things I'd add to the mix: bean, cut up tomato, cut up fish, rice, give the toast with cream cheese a try-it will be messy but fun! I made the kids puree foods, and just slowly made it chunkier over time. And once I gave them salmon they basically never ate pureed foods again. It wasn't until I had DD and DS tried sweet potato in the hospital that he hate a mashed food again, now he loves them-DD still shuns mashed foods. :)

CLC-what's your morning routine like? Could you give DS a sippy of cold formula (or slowly work the formula from warm to cold-so the milk transition will be easier) in a sippy as you get ready? He plays, sips, you get dressed? That's how we do it in our house, DD gets a sippy as I get her dressed, she sips & plays as the rest of us get dressed, then a light snack, in the car, off to school, then breakfast there. Neither of my kids would hold their bottles-it was like both of them had broken arms as soon as they saw a bottle, their little arms just went limp. I was so fearful they'd never hold a sippy-EVER. Both took to the sippy immediately. And I think I was more attached to the bottle than they were.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My "how to know if the tick has bitten" message is really out there for all the Mama Bears - I know the fact that ticks and Lyme exist is very scary (I've had Lyme myself - it was before I knew any of this), and I hope that knowing more about tick behavior will lessen the fear.  Seeing a small one crawling around and harboring any fear that it has bitten is like seeing a snarling dog across the street and hoping it hasn't attacked you.  If you see one that isn't plumped up like a cooked lentil crawling around it has not bitten yet, and they crawl around a long time before they bite and then they feed for days swelling up to a very noticable size (like a big, brown skin tag) before dropping off.

If you do thorough tick checks at every bathtime, your LOs will be safe because one will not be able to bite and go undetected by you for 2 or 3 days.  Even if one does get missed and chomps down, you'll see it.  And, if that happens, take them to the doctor, have the tick removed, and they will receive 1 antibiotic per day it has been there, up to three.  And, that's that.  

People get Lyme when they are not checking for fattening/feeding ticks who have latched on in places where they won't easily be noticed.  If you are looking for them every day, you will be OK.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

KAM - here's our current morning routine and it works for us now but I'm open to change...

I'm up at 615 and in the shower at 630, DS wakes between 615 and 645 and plays in his crib while I get ready.  He's fine in his crib playing until he sees me and then he wants to be picked up. He plays while I get ready and then at 7 I get him up and dressed for the day.  At 715 we come downstairs, I give him a bottle and by 740 we are in the car on the way to daycare.  Unfortunately DH is out the door at 630 so I'm really on my own in this one. 

As for cold milk, he already drinks his formula cold so no issue there. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

CLC-you could transition the bottle with sippy and some cheerios in the high chair while you eat something/get your lunch ready for the day. I do let DD have her sippy in the car, it gets thrown around sometimes, but she gets to sip on it more if she wants. Seems like you've got a good routine that the transition won't be too difficult.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Apparently my post from earlier didn't work so here it goes again...

I'm headed to NYC tomorrow for a bachelorette party weekend.  First time leaving DS for two nights!  I'm nervous but excited.  Hoping once I get there I will have a great time but for the moment I'm worrying!  I'm sure DS and DH will have a wonderful weekend together but I hate missing out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Chiclet - many, many 3 yr olds just don't want to leave what they are doing to go potty.  So don't wait until she tells you she has to go - just say "when you are done with that puzzle it's time to go potty and try.  Or 'before we have snack/now that lunch is over it's time to go potty to try."

And then get up and take her to the potty, holding her hand and chatting about whatever - the next puzzle you are going to do, what's for lunch, etc. as you go potty.  It's not a discussion, not a negotation, and you aren't asking if she 'needs to go' - they'll all say NO as they are doing the potty wiggle dance, which is so frustrating.  If you give her a heads up that she's going to go in a few minutes (when x is done or before y so she can have some control and knowledge about it) she shouldn't argue too much because you aren't just picking her up and taking her without warning.  Chlidren that age hate to just be whisked into an activity or out of one, they need some planning time (frankly, most children 18 months and over are like this, and even some infants).

good luck to your sister over this final hurdle!

also, if your niece has an accident, make sure SHE is changing her wet, soggy underpants, pants, socks and shoes.  You get her new clothing out, you wipe her down once she's out of the soggy stuff, and of course you help with the hard part like untying shoes but she needs to do the majority of it herself - natural consequences to not going potty and waiting too long.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Lots of good stuff happening in our house:

DD (2.5) successfully has used the potty each of the last three mornings.  We're doing a slower potty training, starting with getting in the habit of going when she first wakes up.  She's switching daycares in 2 months, and I'm nervous to get too deep into it, only to have that huge life change and have her regress, but we're starting!

She's also so verbal and chatty.  This morning, she was singing "5 little monkeys jumping on the bed", with hand motions and everything.  And as we drove up to my parents' house "It's Grandmom's house.  I'm staying with Grandmom. You go to work.  Daddy goes to work.  I'll play and run".  More and more sentences and complete thoughts.  And more abstract thoughts, too.  I love watching her little mind at work.

DS (8 months) is also growing leaps and bounds.  He's reaching for everything.  More "ga" and "da" sounds and general babbling.  He isn't a huge fan of purees, but loves the food he can grab and eat (so far, mum-mums, puffs, banana, avocado, soft pears have made it as table food).  He's a good sport, watching his sister run around and entertain him.  She can make him laugh out loud like no one else can. 

And as for me, despite the fact that we're still adjusting to life with 2 and to life in our new house, I've already got a serious case of baby fever.  DH says I'm nuts to even consider 3, and we're not even allowed to talk about it until 2014!  But I already miss the teeny infant who wants to cuddle, and as one of 2 kids, I've always wanted to have at least 3.  We'll see how it all ends up...as the other two grow and we adjust to all of the things that have happened in the last year, I'm hoping DH will come over to my side! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Great to read the updates, such a happy change from reading the news... Love to hear about the milestones and birthdays. Luv, congrats on the potty progress!

I don't know if DS (8.5 months) is an exception or the norm (can't remember with DD) but he will eat pretty much anything I put on his tray for finger foods. We did steamed peas and carrots last night. He definitely likes variety; he'll get tired of one thing, eat something else for a bit, then be agreeable to eating more of the first thing. He seems to like pretty much anything, and I'm hoping that sticks! We tried raspberries and blackberries over the weekend; LOVED those. Super messy though. I still have to hold back my own panic about choking, so I stare at him as he eats, and definitely over cook everything until it's rather mushy, but solid enough for him to pick up. I wasn't sure if they were supposed to have eggs at this age, but it sounds like some of you with LOs just a bit older are doing eggs, so maybe we'll try those next. And beans, I keep forgetting to try giving him beans. He has very little patience for spoon-feeding now.

Any advice for a 5-5:30am wake time? DS has been doing this for weeks and it's killing me. At 8 months, should I try putting him to bed earlier, or later? I'm not sure which it is at this age.

Also, do any of you have a baby this age who likes to sleep in their carseat? Is there any harm in that, that you've heard of? DS gets colds a lot and with all the congestion he seems to sleep better at an incline. So our pattern is, when he's sick he'll go down at his normal time (6:45ish), sleep until about 12:30 then scream until I put him in his carseat, then sleep until 5:30ish. I'm assuming there's no harm in doing this but wouldn't mind confirmation of this.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh, BTW, Trouble - I met with my landscaper yesterday and he said he can put down something for ticks (ticks, ants, fleas). I forget what it is called. It's a granular substance, so he did tell me that if DS is going to be crawling (which he could be by summer) I might want to think about whether or not to do the treatment this year. However, he said if I were to water diligently right after the treatment, the granules will dissolve and not be a danger (re: eating them, etc.). Of course, the rabbit p00p all over our yard is another story... I don't think that stuff dissolves! When I get the email from him with the estimates, I can let you know what it's called.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

If your DS is going to sleep at 6:45ish, I guess I can see the early wakeup :) DD is almost 8 months and she goes to sleep at around 8 and is wide awake by 7-7:30, ready to play.

How do you know how soft to make and how big to give finger foods for this age? I am so terrified of choking so I have not been able to progress past puffs and mum-mums (other than the purees which she loves). She loves to eat, although at home, she leans more towards nursing while at daycare, she chows down food but barely drinks from her sippy cup (we gave up on the bottle when she started to fight against it). During the week, we just focus more on nursing because she drinks so little during the day but we have the weekends to experiment with. We even found if we put her medicine in a spoon, she will take that but would fight tooth and nail (literally!) if the same medicine is in a syringe. So - she loves eating from the spoon and no longer cries with frustration over the puffs.

DD is doing quite well... she is a handful. She scoots around so fast now on her belly and trying to get her belly off the ground for crawling before she gets too tired - and apparently daycare have caught her climbing up the standing toys (sigh, we are so not ready for that - DS never climbed things and was so much later in crawling and rolling, that we just are not prepared for DD's hurry to get moving). When she takes off, we watch to see what her target is (she loves DS's stuff the most, which gets him upset - and which gets us scrambling because they are not usually age appropiate). We have one room where we can let her loose and made sure only her stuff are in reach, and we told DS anything he brings in there, if it is a danger to her, we will remove otherwise - if he puts it in her reach, then she gets to play with it.

DS is 2.5... and we have issues where he won't pee or p00p in the bathroom at daycare. It is finally going pretty well at home, but at school, he just won't pee in the bathroom so we need to understand why. We are not sure if they are trying to push the standing at the potty too much (he prefers sitting). Night time is still sketchy but daytime is getting more consistent. So... slow progress there. Otherwise, he is doing well... and this Sat will be his first birthday party to attend for a classmate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Hi all, love the updates.

My DD2 is almost 9 months and she is sleeping from about 7:30 to about 6:20ish.  Occasionally (like this morning) she will wake up at 5:00, nurse and then go right back down until 7:00.  I'd like her to be more consistent but I haven't really worked on this too much yet.  She sleeps at night in her crib in a sleepsack but she is a terrible napper  and will not stay asleep in her crib for more than 45 mins at a time.  But, if I nap her in her carseat in her room with the lights out she will sleep for 2-3 hours.  Go figure.  So, to answer your question about car seat sleep, Poppy, we do it and I think it's fine, other than the fact that at some point these kids will be too big for their car seats and will have to learn to sleep in the crib.  

In terms of the milk/food balance, we are going through some of the same struggles as you, Cwag.  My DD loves to nurse and doesn't love to drink from a bottle so the days I am at work, she often will only take 4-6 oz from the bottle but is perfectly happy eating a ton of purees and baby cereal.  We tell the daycare to make her oatmeal with formula mixed in so that she will get a few more "milk calories" in her during the day but it's still stressful because I'm not sure she gets very much milk.  I am actually hoping to wean her during the day soon because I am so done with pumping at work, but wondering if it makes sense to just introduce a cup rather than a bottle at this point?  DD is a great eater - she loves puree pouches and has started eating small finger foods.  This weekend she had a little shredded cheese, bits of bread and a little of my DD1's leftover macaroni and cheese (DD2 LOVED that).  She's had chunks of banana and steamed veggies and cheerios.  Still working on mastering her pincer grasp but she manages to get the bits in her mouth pretty quickly.

In terms of mobility she is sitting and spinning around and will ocasionally move down to her tummy but isn't moving too much yet.  She's rocking back and forth on all fours though so I think she will be crawling in another month or so. I'm actually terrified at the thought because DD1's toys are so not appropriate for a baby and they are everywhere around the house.  Spring cleaning is definitely on my to do list.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

CWag, meant to tell you that my DD1 who is 3 went through the same issue at her preschool.  She was potty trained at home and on the weekends but would refuse to go at school.  She would actually hold in her pee all day from 8:30-5:30.  This phase lasted a few months but she is better now.  What helped is we made her try to go every morning at drop off and every afternoon at pick up (which is sort of annoying because it increased the amount of time both of those processes took) but it was good to get her the experience of sitting on the potty while we were with her.  One day she went and it's been a non issue since then.  We obviously don't have the standing/sitting challenge but I would think that your DS' teacher would allow him to pee sitting down if he felt more comfortable doing it that way at first.  My DD1 was actually fearful of peeing on new toilets for awhile, not just at daycar.  She was afraid of the flush and got nervous when the toilet seat looked different than at home.  I think with time and experience these fears naturally go away but they are definitely normal.

Sections
Shortcuts