April Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

April Infants and Toddlers

Happy April! Spring seems to be on our doorstep. How's everyone doing?

In my house, my DD is having fun singing the ABCs (well, with a few letters left out but it's so cute!) And finally able to go play outside a bit and for some walks...

Looking forward to a Breakfast with the Easter Bunny event this Sunday!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Re: April Infants and Toddlers

Happy April!

summer - thats awesome your DD can sing the ABC's!  DS also loves to sing.  He has the melody down but doesnt know the words yet.  Although he is getting very close.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Isn't LMNOP one letter?

Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Is the snow gone in your backyards?  Here in DC/MD/VA it is, but I was wondering about up there in the frozen north? We have daffodils blooming down here, hurrah!  But the cherry blossoms are so late, still not really out, and the cherry blossom festival ends this weekend - poor tourists, they froze and saw nothing if they came this year! 

Of course, there are so many free museums to occupy your time, if you don't see nary a blossom it's still ok to visit DC!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to CT-DC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is the snow gone in your backyards?  Here in DC/MD/VA it is, but I was wondering about up there in the frozen north? We have daffodils blooming down here, hurrah!  But the cherry blossoms are so late, still not really out, and the cherry blossom festival ends this weekend - poor tourists, they froze and saw nothing if they came this year! 

Of course, there are so many free museums to occupy your time, if you don't see nary a blossom it's still ok to visit DC!

[/QUOTE]

My yard is about 90 % snow free!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

All of our snow is gone and the daffodils are up but havent bloomed yet...

We are thinking about getting the balance bike for DS.  Does anyone have a recommendation one which you liked?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We used the strider for DS and reusing it for DD (she has hopped on a few times, on her own request). DS moved to specialized balance bike and that is what he uses now - most likely, he will use this bike until he moves to a pedal bike.

We liked the strider to start since it was lightweight (it is noticably lighter than his current balance bike), and he did not move very fast for a while, so it worked for a year for him. He really liked it alot - he really learned to coast and steer comfortably on it, and the girl down the street used to ride her strider  (at high speed!) too - she really could coast and fly on that bike with her father at a full run behind her. She rode her strider for longer than DS did, and she moved to her brother's outgrown pedal bike when she outgrew the strider.

For DS, we noticed as he started to move really fast, that on the gravel trails by our house, he was prone to wipeouts since the foam wheels don't grip as well on surfaces like the gravel trails, and the specialized bike has rubber tires with good tread - he no longer wiped out taking corners. I have seen kazam bikes too, and those look good (although I am not sure if they are as light as the strider, but I recall they had rubber tires too - they are not as expensive as specialized). We will see what we do once DD outgrows the strider and its foam wheels - we may continue with the same bike as DS or move to different model, depending on what she needs at that time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I saw many crocuses in bloom yesterday, and one single daffodil!  Lots more daffodils almost ready to bust open.  DS decided to finish the season with a bang by getting an ear infection and conjunctivitis.  Ah, well.

I wish we had gotten a balance bike for DD.  Her grandparents got her a tricycle for her third birthday and another relative got her a scooter, so it felt silly for us to get her yet another thing.  But she was uncomfortable not being able to quite reach the ground or the pedals on the tricycle last summer/fall (she is a shorty), so she only really learned to ride it this week, and I can tell it's a ton of work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Med - My DS has an ear infection and conjunctivitis too! I had no idea those two things went together.

We still have a big hunk of ice on our sidewalk :-( We've been shopping for a swing set for DS. There are way too many options!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

cwag- thanks for the info.  Do you know if the strider has hand brakes?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm planning to get a balance bike this spring as well, thanks for the info, cwag! Zulily often has these on sale, I just have not been sure which type to get. I'm curious what you mean by "specialized" balance bike? Is it custom for him? I was hoping for one without foam tires, but it seems that most of the lightweight balance bikes only have the foam.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

None of the balance bikes we looked at had hand brakes.

For us, with the kids having small hands, we felt that was not important - plus we did not want to make it too daunting with the biking. DS just drags his feet to stop (most kids pedal bikes don't have hand brakes either- at least the ones I recall from the past). Steering and balancing as it was - was challenging enough since it is very different from the tricycles he was used to at daycare.

Specialized is the brand name :) they make balance bikes all the way up to grown up sizes

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes

they are pricey but popular where we are so it was easy for us to find and for him to try out in the store (which he did, to the amazement of the other shoppers, surprised to see a little tyke trying a bike out). It is definitely a little heavier than the foam tire bikes, but for him at 3 years, that weight difference is not significant (but for our 19 month old, who tries to follow him every once in a while, walking with his old strider, that weight difference is enough for her to stay with strider most likely for another year at the least - she is still in the walking phase of the balance bike).

There are so many choices, but we just kept the search limited to just a few choices to not get paralyzed by the choices.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Good to know!  This info was very helpful.  We are leaning towards the strider since it is lighter then the others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

You might want to check out a First bike. After some research, we got a First bike because it has a hand brake, and it seems pretty lightweight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I have a couple of questions for all of you about potty training. Last night, DS peed on the potty for the first time, to much fanfare from DH and I, who were both sitting in the bathroom with him because he demanded we do so :-). 

DS just turned 2, and while I know some people do train this early, we were never planning to. We got him the potty just to get him used to it, but we were probably going to wait until fall to try hardcore training. I guess my first question is: are we doing any harm by allowing this to continue as a unstructured thing (i.e. he does it when he feels like it) for an extended time before training? Should we be seizing the opportunity because of his interest? 

I guess my big reason for hesitating on training is that he doesn't consistently tell us when he goes in his diaper, and never for pee. When he does tell us, it's usually a vague "Bye bye, p00p!" after which he fights a diaper change with all his strength. He's in a pretty oppositional phase right now, although he clearly was happy with the praise when he did go last night.

What are others' experiences in this? Also, are there good online resources for when we are ready to start training?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In response to Arcain's comment:

I have a couple of questions for all of you about potty training. Last night, DS peed on the potty for the first time, to much fanfare from DH and I, who were both sitting in the bathroom with him because he demanded we do so :-). 

DS just turned 2, and while I know some people do train this early, we were never planning to. We got him the potty just to get him used to it, but we were probably going to wait until fall to try hardcore training. I guess my first question is: are we doing any harm by allowing this to continue as a unstructured thing (i.e. he does it when he feels like it) for an extended time before training? Should we be seizing the opportunity because of his interest? 

I guess my big reason for hesitating on training is that he doesn't consistently tell us when he goes in his diaper, and never for pee. When he does tell us, it's usually a vague "Bye bye, p00p!" after which he fights a diaper change with all his strength. He's in a pretty oppositional phase right now, although he clearly was happy with the praise when he did go last night.

What are others' experiences in this? Also, are there good online resources for when we are ready to start training?

Great post, Arcain!! My DD shows interest in the potty too, sometimes asks to sit on the big potty (though fully clothed w/ diaper on), she pretends to pee and then says "all done" and hops down. I bought her a potty seat a couple weeks ago, and she sits on it now and again, but is afraid to sit on it without her diaper on. I got it because she showed interest, but have no plans to start potty training now either. I'm interested to hear what others say.

Here's a couple good links I just came across:

http://www.babycenter.com/toilet-training-readiness-checklist-2-years

http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/potty-training/basics/potty-training-101/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

So... I have a one year old. Not sure how that happened! He had a great party on Saturday (which I totally went overboard on, but nevermind that) and we had a great family day yesterday for his actual birthday. He didn't really want anything to do with his cake or ice cream at his party but he was interested in his ice cream cake last night. Every time he took a bite, he started clapping. He couldn't have been cuter.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Chiclet - it goes by so fast!  Happy bday!  That is the cutest story about the ice cream cake!