art supplies (easel or art table, plus accessories) - recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

art supplies (easel or art table, plus accessories) - recommendations?

hi all - does anyone have an easel or art table of some sort that s/he'd recommend?  i want something for my 2 yo twins but there's a lot out there and i don't want to make the wrong choice!  :)  tia.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: art supplies (easel or art table, plus accessories) - recommendations?

Hi stefani,
    We have an easel that fits onto our learning tower and I have to say my two don't use it that much. They prefer to do artwork sitting down.
    I have a small table and chairs (which was mine...no longer on the market I'm sure!) but we really like to do artwork on the kitchen table.
    I bought an oilcloth tablecloth like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Hill-Classic-Flannel-Tablecloth/dp/B004IW228O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345483840&sr=8-6&keywords=oilcloth+tablecloth

And they sit in their booster seats and paint, draw, glue, do playdoh...whatever.When they were just two, I used to put the tablecloth on the floor and they'd do playdoh there. I let them color with the washable stuff on the family room floor I didn't really let them paint until they were almost three. And ONLY at the table!! :)

Have fun creating!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I love the idea of that tablecloth, Lily.  DD has taken to coloring on her little table, which isn't a huge deal since it was cheap, but I really don't want her thinking it's ok to color on tables.

Stefani - a friend of mine has this easel:  http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Standing-Easel/dp/B002JCS5JA

I'm planning to get it for DD for her 2nd bday.  Just have to figure out where to put it... my friend has it in her kitchen, which seems like a good idea (tile floors instead of carpet or hardwood).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

All day long...
    We only color on paper, we only color on paper, we only color on paper...
    Okay - if we don't stop coloring on the floor (table, walls) the crayons are going into time out.
    Okay - the crayons are in time out. Let's do something else...who wants to build a tower with Legos?

:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My mom used something like this for her kindergarteners and me when I was far younger than that, too, for the floor: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=25122&es=237530000ESC&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=weblink&utm_campaign=froogle&cvsfa=408&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3235313232 Sorry, can't make a link with iPad. Reviews say their kids used it with crayons and all sorts of things other than finger paints. One of my mom's favorite project to do was to trace around a child and let them fill it in, coloring themselves in as they see themselves. Of course, their self image changes as they mature, and she'd do it at the beginning and again at the end of the year, and the difference in their self portraits was always stunning. If I had a toddler, I'd trace them every six months and let them color it as themselves. By the time they are in first grade you'd have quite a set of self portraits. Obviously they might not really get the idea at first, but youd see the progression. And, obviously, you could just use it for free coloring. I actually remember laying on it and having her trace me...loved it...I think I was three or so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: art supplies (easel or art table, plus accessories) - recommendations?:
    All day long... We only color on paper, we only color on paper, we only color on paper... Okay - if we don't stop coloring on the floor (table, walls) the crayons are going into time out. Okay - the crayons are in time out. Let's do something else...who wants to build a tower with Legos? :)
    Posted by misslily

Misslily, when your children are in 3rd grade (and you have kinds of free time, lol), you should get a job as a toddler or preschool teacher - you're in training already... just gotta get you enough courses to qualify!Tongue Out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Since you have twins, make sure it is really STURDY because they will possibly push it when each are on a different side ('cuz 2 yr olds NEVER argue, bicker or push stuff, lol).  Look at the Little Tykes one, those aren't expensive and should be sturdy and not tip over easily.

Or, get a nice one that your kids can grow into and use until 8 or 9 yrs old, so make sure the height makes sense (is still tall enough) for your children so they can still use it as they get much taller - at this point you should be able to move the board and the paint holders down to the lowest level for them to use comfortably (not having to reach too high), then move them up as your children get taller.  Painting on the table flat is wonderful fun, but so is using an easel, with paint on that angle - gets children to really move their whole arms and bodies when they paint, plus encourages them/forces them to balance while also painting with one or both hands, which sitting at a table doesn't work on.  Not that painting is really "working on" stuff, except everything is working on children's motor skills (gross or fine motor), language, cognitive, problem solving, social or emotional skills, right?   And it's just darn fun!

Look at Discount School Supply, they might have good ones for not too much $.  that's discountschoolsupply.com - many childcare centers buy from them but you can buy as an individual, too.   You can look at Kaplan, too (wwwkaplanco.com) but while their furniture is fabulous, it will be more expensive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ha ha! Thanks but no thanks. When they get to school I'm going to do something with other adults! Volunteer at the hospital, fundraise for my favorite charity, go to lunch with a friend. Buy clothes in a real store (instead of online).
    And I'll probably be the mom whose always at the school helping out with the bake sale (if they haven't banned them by then) or the field trip. :)

Stefani - one last thing. Two kids need a table that's a little bigger than one kid (even if it has two chairs). My old table is fun for lunch or playtime tea parties, but it doesn't have enough room for paper, brushes, paint etc. for two. It would all fit, but I'm sure half of it would be on the floor in no time. Hence our solution of the oilcloth tablecloth at the kitchen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

We got a hand me down, table top Melissa and Dough Easel, blackboard on one side, white board on the other.  Our kids use it all the time.

Also, check out Ikea, I got a great kids table and chairs there and I remember seeing an affordable easel as well.  They also have some handy things like inexpensive plastic cups and plates etc.

I recommend going in the evening to avoid the crowds.

Sections
Shortcuts