August - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: August - Infants and Toddlers

In Response to Re: August - Infants and Toddlers:
    In Response to Re: August - Infants and Toddlers : My daughter was a late crawler and walker (she never learned to crawl very well and would fall over a lot, do the commando crawl, or drag one leg like an injured insect and go in a big circle). A couple days before our 18-month appointment I mentioned to our awesome babysitter that I was worried because the ped would be asking about it, and when I came to pick my daughter up that evening she walked down the hall to me! The babysitter had spent the day teaching my daughter to walk. She tied a long scarf around her chest, under her armpits, and used it to help her balance. Apparently it was largely a matter of confidence, because once she realized that she COULD walk, she wanted to walk all the time. So we made a good showing at the Ped appt and also life got a LOT easier once she was walking -- we could go to the park and do other fun stuff.
    Posted by lemonmelon

I told my DH your story yesterday.  Funnily enough DD had recently acqusitioned a scarf of mine, so DH has it and DD up in the nursery right now and I can hear him singing to her, "you're going to walk today!"  Even if she doesn't, isn't that just too cute?  :)

Good luck on Monday, Medford, I'll be looking for your update too!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I know every child develops differently, but my DD is 20 months and while she has about 20 or so words...she doesnt try to talk.  I believe she should be able to say staple words that are everyday like water, milk, ect.  She points and whines for everything she wants.  If she wants the TV on she hands me the remote, the communication is very frustrating.  Her doctors at her 18 month appointment were happy if she could say 6 words besides mama & dada.  I have learned to only take what the doctor says with a grain of salt, but I cant shake that she doesnt try.  I just called early intervention to have her evaluated.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get her talking without her saying no everytime I ask her to do something?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi All,

I love reading everyone's updates!  the little ones are growing so quickly!  I have a friend whose DD is in EI and is doing remarkably well now.. she started at just over a year and she is a year and a half now.  Our DS is 6 months now.. where does the time go!??  we had his appt yesterday and he's doing good, although he's a big guy!  He was 21 lbs and 28 1/4 inches.  UGH!  no wonder my right arm is getting stronger!  Thankfully we ordered a couple convertible car seats from albee baby earlier this week and they should arrive anyday now.  I think I'll be moving him soon!  He's sitting up on his own now, which is new in the last week or so.  I love it cuz it's easier to do a few things now.  He's not rolling over.. he goes from side to side but not over, I think he's too heavy!  haha.  He is not a huge fan of tummy time either.  he pulls himself up and will hold it there for a min but then plunks down and is out of breath!  :-)  he just doesn't love it..  we try twice a day regardless.  He's laughing up a storm which i adore!  I love hearing that little laugh.  Of course he gets the hiccups every time he laughs too hard.  he hasn't been sleeping too good.. we're trying to break the swaddle habit the last few days because he has been busting out like crazy.. yet he can't seem to sleep without it at the same time but it's the thing that wakes him up too!  Last night he woke at midnight and stayed up till 1:30 .. then woke up at 2:30.. then 4:30.. then finally 7.. UGH.  we just need to break the swaddle entirely and let him figure it out but its sooo hard!  what is it with their arms??!  does anyone have any tips breaking this habit??  he sleeps fine in strollers and carseats but for some reason in his crib needs a swaddle...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

My DD1 didn't say mama or much of anything else until she was over 2.  As DH and I were late talkers (DH over 3, and I was over 2) so I wasn't too concerned. In addition, DD was capable of following direction and answering yes and no questions i.e. do you want milk, are you hungry.

Now at three, she has complete conversations without any issues.  We used to make her repeat words after us.  For example:
    Do you want juice?
    yes (or nod of the head)
    Say juice, please.
    And then she'd try to say juice more often than not.

I feel your communication pain.  18 months to 24 months were just painful with DD knowing what she wanted and being totally frustrated by us not understanding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Just a few thoughts about EI. My DS just completed a six-month stint with an SLP through EI. While always skinny to begin with, he fell off the weight chart around 15 months. He's a very picky eater, even at 22 months he still eats mostly purees, along with a VERY few table foods. Anyway, I can't say enough wonderful things about our experience with EI. It was an really affirming experience in so many ways. While DS is still picky, his weight is up, and we know there are no physical or sensory issues at play. It's just that the area he's decided to assert independence is through food (lucky us!).

As an FYI, the guideline for qualifying for EI services is a 30% delay in a particular area. I also believe that our SLP mentioned in June that the state was now changing its evaluation matrix and that the delay would have to be even greater. (I am sorry that I can't remember the exact details and the mass.gov website isn't updated.) The evaluation is quite fun, actually. There are typically 3 workers that come. One or two engage the child in various activities while the other(s) take notes and confer on a "rank". There are LOTS and LOTS of questions for parents because they realize they are only seeing a 1-2 hour snapshot of your child. It's enlightening to see how other people describe your child (especially being a first-time mom). For example, at his July exit evaluation, DS was measuring at 29 months for social/emotional development. While DH and I always thought he was pretty connected in that way, it was fascinating to hear why someone else thought it, too.
    Anyway, good luck to all of you who are contemplating the process. I am happy to answer any questions that I can.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DD2 has been doing EI for 3 months now.  At her 6 month visit, we mentioned a few things we were concerned with to the pedi who thought EI would help.  And it has helped.  Although DD2 is still delayed for 10 months (more like a 7 month old), I have seen her make progress.  Her 3 month review is in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure she will still be eligible as her skill set is still far behind where is should be.  The pedi is even sending her to a neurologist to confirm there are any other unknown reasons for the delay.

EI can only help your child learn if after the assessment your child is eligible.  I will say though that we'd have timing issues if DH wasn't still unemployed.  DD2 has at least 2 sessions a week sometimes 3.  They do come to our house and would go to our parent's (which is where the kids do daycare) if either set had lived in the service area for this early intervention center.  Our coordinator has also handled getting the OT and PT people out to meet DD2 and setting up appointments with them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

dz--I hear you on the timing! We lucked out that when DS was slated to begin, there was a new SLP coming into the group that we used. So we had our pick of time as her schedule was empty. We worked it out so that she came each week during a meal time so she could observe what progress was being made (and the set-backs and frustrations, too.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Really wonderful to hear all these EI experiences!
    Kiwi - what is an SLP?  At first I was thinking speech-language pathologist, but it seems to be something to do with eating?
    dz - I'd love to hear more about how you made the decision to get the evaluation.

I was at our soon to be daycare earlier dropping off enrollment forms and the director mentioned the same thing about the state making the qualifications tighter due to funding.  Right now I am leaning towards at least trying to do the evaluation, but I am going to wait until after our ped appt on Monday to decide for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

medford, you're right. We worked with a speech-language pathologist. Many have training in working with children around eating, especially with regards to physical issues (such as chew, jaw placement, swallowing mechanics) as well as any sensory issues that may be involved. For example, one of the table foods that DS does like is pretzels. So, together with the SLP, we evaluated. Why might he like pretzels--crunch, salt, etc. So then the plan was to try and replicate those same kinds of sensory experiences in a different medium. So we tried salted pepper or cucumber slices. No go on those, but french fries fit the bill! :P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

One other development insight that I'll pass along from my experiences with EI. I think as parents, especially first-timers, it's easy to focus in on certain kinds of development, like crawling, walking, and talking, because those are easy to see and evaluate. Those are the typical things that everyone asks about (grandparents, friends, neighbors, strangers in the grocery store, etc.). It can be easy to feel as though DC might be "behind" because other children that you've seen do things earlier. That may definitely be true and I think as a parent you always go with your gut and ask questions when something bothers you. But, development is SO multi-faceted and I think we get stuck on certain aspects. When DS had his final evaluation, he was measuring at age-level for certain things such as gross motor and expressive language. But, as I said, he was measuring way ahead for social/emotional development and, come to find out, sorting and pattern recognition. Who knew? I certainly couldn't really evaluate those things (or even known to evaluate those things) and they're not something that are easily recognizeable to the casual observer, either. It's easy to listen to a child count to 10 or  see her/him run across the room, but how often can you see one dig into a bucket of pencils and straws and see what s/he can do with that?? In my mind, no one aspect is more valuable or more worrisome--it's all part of a bigger picture.

Like I said, I didn't want to seem as though I was diminishing anyone's concerns, but I've learned through the EI process to see development in much fuller, more nuanced ways. It helps me not to freak out about everything (most of the time, anyway).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Medford - You may know from other posts that DD2 is part a set.  :-)  So in addition to having a DD 2.25 years older than DD2, I have a DS exactly the same age (OK he's 1 min older).  I also have a nephew DD1 age and a niece between DD1 and the twins.  So I had a lot of babies around, all of whom did things at different times but, so while I know you can't compare kids there was something not quite right going on with DD2.

At her 6 month check up, she couldn't sit up, she had terrible separation anxiety (I mean if you put her in the swing and went to get a drink while she could still see you there was hysteria), she wasn't doing well eating solids, she did not switch a toy from hand to hand and she did this funny chin to the chest look up at you thing.  All of which just felt off to me.  I talked to the pedi about it, expressing my concerns and looking for confirmation.  She checked DD out to make sure there was no physical reasons then recommended Early Intervention.

3 months later and 10 months old, DD2 still does not roll over (although will roll side to side), she will only tolerate being on her tummy for a few minutes, she does not like grown ups being out of arms reach, she looks at you like you're trying to poison her if you give her anything other than purees to eat,  she will sit up unassisted if you sit her up and she can stand for periods of time if you stand her up. 

I have to admit that I'm not sure how much of her advancement is EI (as much as I love our coordinator) and how much is just DD2 being the late side of the curve.  Overall everyone has agreed that while she is delayed it's not TOO delayed yet.  Thankfully.  EI can never hurt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My nephew went through EI for very severe Sensory Processing issues. We did really fun stuff with Amy, our EI lady. We dragged him around on a blanket or swung him like in a hammock, taught him to go down the stairs in a sleeping bag (yes, that was actually encouraged), played with sand and water, and played with cymbals and drums and such to make loud noises.

With my nephew (and my neice, who went through EI for speech delay), the change was really dramatic and clearly attributable to EI because they were so delayed before and advanced so quickly through the visits. They both stayed in for the maximum amount of time because we all really enjoyed it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I watched early intervention work well for one of a pair of twins.  Both were premies, and while they grew fast and the boy ended up being quite large, his muscle tone and his motor skills (both fine and large) were way behind.  His sister not so much.  The physical therapist couldn't come to our center, so his mother taught me and his teachers what to do so we could work with him as well as his mother could.  There were various methods of having him sitting to encourage his core development, then to encourage him to lay on his side (he couldn't do this even after he was crawling well, and for some reason this wasn't good), and finally we really needed to get him to crawl with his tummy off the floor!  Army crawling is fine at the beginning, but his PT really wanted him to have to put his weight on his hands and knees, balanced between, without his belly sagging and dragging.

His mother came up with the best method to encourage this, and she did it by accident:  take his shirt off!  We have some carpeting but lots of floor in the classrooms and he didn't want his belly on the cooler floor - so when his shirt was off he crawled the "right" way!  Put the shirt on, and boom, that tummy dragged on the ground.  With his mother's blessing he spent quite some time without his shirt on for a few months!

My view with EI is this: you want to keep the children moving forward - and not getting further behind.  So the EI might not be moving the child forward by leaps and bounds, but it's definitely keeping it from stagnating.  If a child could do the things others could, they would - there is NO SUCH THING as a lazy infant or toddler or preschooler - they all want to move forward and do the things they are driven to do, some just need some help to get there.

If I could afford it I'd be an early interventionist but frankly, I get paid about double what those home visitors do and I can't afford it.  And I don't get much money, given I direct a childcare center. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have EI for my twins because of their hearing loss.  I love having my EI lady come to the house every week.  My DD is talking in sentences so she's right on track, but my DS is a little farther behind.  I really see the improvement since EI has started coming.  Don't know if he'd be doing as well without them, but my feeling is that it can't hurt.  And, if nothing else, they give me great tips to help my children develop their speech properly.  On Friday he said his first 3 work sentence "Dada home soon."  (Hooray!!)
    Anyway - if you think you might need them for motor skills, get an evaluation.  It's free and it could be really helpful.
    Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Way to go, Baby Lilies!!!!!!!!  And it doesn't sound like your son is too far delayed with language, even with his hearing loss, given they were just 2 years old in July - so all that emphasis you've placed on them using their hearing aids is working for their language development, WHAT a relief for you and your husband! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yay for babies!  DZ and Lily and Kiwi and Lemon and CT and anyone I forgot, thanks for sharing your experiences.

We did the 1 year physical this AM -- pediatrician went through his usual about everyone developing differently, but then he did recommend an EI evaluation.  I was happy about this, because he basically echoed what I was thinking: he's not super concerned, but an evaluation would be worthwhile.
    I told him that since I do see progress, I expect she'll get there eventually but my concern is if there is an underlying cause for the delay.  He said that he wasn't concerned about anything more global because the delay is just the gross motor skills, and fine motor and cognitive things do not seem to be affected.  However, he said the evaluation from EI will also help him to see if there is anything else medical that we should consider.
    So now I am waiting for the EI people to call me back.  I'm really excited and want to do an evaluation NOW!  :)

I really have to thank you guys... I think if I hadn't heard about all of these experiences I would have been pretty panicked hearing the EI suggestion in the doctor's office for the first time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

DS started rolling over today! It's been in the works for about a week now and today I grabbed the camera because he seemed like he was throwing his whole body over every time he was on his side. He finally figured out how to get that arm out from under him and caught it all on video!  He tired himself out and passed out on DH's shoulder as we were about to give him a bath. It was so cute, he was all tuckered out.   I can't believe how excited I was about his rolling over, I can't imagine how I'l feel after those first steps! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford, thanks for the update.  I'm so glad you feel great about the appointment.  Do you have to get a referral from LO's doctor to get an evaluation from EI?  Or can parents just call?

July - congrats for catching the roll on camera!  Word of advice; download!!!  Download as quick as you can.  I had a heartattack last week when I opened my video camera and all the videos were gone.  All 10 mths worth.  Turns out they were hidden and once I plugged it in we were able to retrieve them, but I swear it took a few years off my life for that hour of pure panic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Great news Medford and Lily! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Ajuly - yay for rolling!!

IPW - I found out through these boards and the EI website that anyone can call.  That said, my pediatrician did instruct us to tell them he wanted us to have an evaluation.
    I have also found out that there are different EI providers depending on where you live.  So I am waiting for a call back from ours but trying not to get too excited because I think their main coordinator person is on vacation.
    The website is here:

http://www.mass.gov/dph/earlyintervention

and through the "About EI" section, there's a link to finding the providers for each town.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks CT-DC (and everyone else).  Many of you know how stressed I get about the  hearing aids.  We do our best - even though they still pull them out a lot.  And we still only wear them at home.  Which means I feel guilty if we go to Target or something and they aren't wearing them. But I'd like to go out sometimes and I think it's fun for them too. DD (who has the slightly worse hearing) can repeat entire songs to me - even the lullabys that I sing at night when she's unaided.
    DS knows exactly what we are saying - he's just "being a boy" (pedi's words) about taking his time with language.
    And again - having EI come has been a huge help.  Taking them to MEEI every month was hard - I so prefer having EI come to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it's a good idea to keep your ped involved because he or she knows your kiddo's history and can provide perspective or back you up if you disagree with the evaluation and need  a second opinion. A friend's son received an incorrect diagnoses (or whatever they call it) of autism from EI and the pediatrician intervened and arranged a new evaluation with a different person. I don't want to scare you off, though -- this particular EI person was fired (for obvious reasons), and everyone else I know (my sister, my BFF, and one other good friend) who used EI had overwhelmingly positive experiences. And the incorrectly-evaluated kiddo ended up doing well in EI too, despite the initial bumpy start.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

medford--good luck! I think it took about 2-3 weeks to get our EI evaluation. (This was right around the December holidays, so at another busy, sort of unpredictable time of year.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Kiwi!
    After the convoluted voicemail system yesterday at the EI place I was a bit nervous, but actually the director called me back this morning (their usual intake person is on vacation) and we had a great, informative talk and scheduled an evaluation for 2 weeks from now.  They would have even been able to do it next week but we are on vacation (yay!).
    Definitely looking forward to learning more through this -- again, I would be all worried if I hadn't heard such positive things from all of you!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Medford so glad everything is moving along and you are feeling good about it all!

Yay Ajuly for rolling over and catching it on video.  I was watching some of our videos from the earlier months and it is so cute to watch and boy do you notice how much they have changed!!

How they acquire language and stuff is so amazing to me!  So glad your twins are doing so well with they hearing aids misslily!

Sections
Shortcuts