August - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: August - Infants and Toddlers

Luck - my twins are 25 months and I still have them in sleepsacks.  They still sleep all over the mattress so I figure blankets would be a waste of time.  I'm sure I'm way behind the curve on this, but since sleepsack makes bags big enough, I'm sticking with it for now.
    They did figure out how to unzip them and get out so I put them on backwards now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Where to begin?!  DD will be 6 months soon.  We've been feeding her rice cereal twice a day and will start purees this weekend.  Once you start purees, do you stop feeding cereal??  My understanding is that the cereal is more about teaching them to eat than anything else.  My freezer full of BM is running out, so she will also start getting at least one formula bottle per day.  I hope she can handle all these changes!

We just spent a week on vacation.  DD took much longer naps in the pack n play, so we might have to get one!  Occasionally she still only slept for 40 minutes, but usually it was 1-2 hours.

It was so hard going back to work today after spending 11 days straight with DD!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Fram - welcome back!  I usually mixed in a little cereal to the purees when we first started purees.  One or two spoonfuls.  I don't anymore because he prefers puffs or cherrios now - but at your stage, cereal has lots of great iron and vitamins, so I'd keep it in the routine.

Luck - My DS has 4 stuffed animals in his crib, one lovey - they are fairly small.  Since we put him to bed awake, and he will often wake in the morning before I get him, I've found they give him something to play with and talk to... beyond cute when he's babbling to the froggie.  When he goes to bed at 7pm, the room is still fairly hot (afternoon sun) so we don't use the sleep sack.  However, by 9pm when I go to bed, it has cooled quite a bit.  The past few nights I've placed a small receiving blanket over him. (I do get nervous a bit, but it's so light and he seems very good about getting stuff off his face).  I have no idea if he needs it or not.  By morning it is usually all squished up in the corner.  Once it cools a bit more, we'll probably go back to sleep sacks if he'll allow us (he's a mover in his crib so we'll see).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Fra - you're supposed to keep feeding cereal when you start purees.  My twins hated the cereal plain so I mixed it into the purees.  And as they got better at eating I made it thicker.  That's one way to work up to finger foods - by making the purees thicker. Most of my friends, however fed cereal separate.  Little meals of cereal and a veggie puree or cereal and a fruit puree.
    The cereal has lots of iron and other good stuff in it.  Of course so does the formula (iron I mean).
    Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Fram, how much milk did you have in the freezer before you went back to work?  I am trying to figure out if I'll have enough with just what I have been pumping after the morning feeding. I feel very impressed with my supply though, the whole bottom of our drawer freezer is filled. I hope this guy likes frozen milk! I know it can taste soapy to some babies.. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the info ladies!  I was wondering if cereal would still be useful as a source of iron.

Ajuly, before returning to work I had a lot of milk frozen, mostly from pumping before bed for a few weeks.  It's so hard to quantify, but I'd say I had at least 2 weeks worth if I would have had to feed her only frozen milk for some reason.  On the one hand, I would repeat what others told me which was that you only need enough for the first day.  That is always a good reminder to keep you calm.  I think I stressed over it too much when I first went back to work... However, I am so so so glad I stocked up while I could because I have never gotten enough milk from pumping at work.  I'm feeling the tiniest bit sad about introducing formula, but I know I did everything I could so I don't feel as disappointed as I expected.  All we can do is try our best!

BTW, sorry for the hit and run post last night.  I did actually read most of the other posts!  I didn't have much to add, although I do love the sleepsacks.  DD's have been looking small for weeks now, so I need to buy bigger ones asap!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kar - good point about the paci!  :)

Lil - I once in a while use a blanket during naps.  I swear she sleeps better with the weight of the blanket on her, as these naps are almost always longer.  But I stick with the sleep sack at night.

Fram - hope you had a great vacation, and I know what you mean about it being hard to separate after so many days in a row together!  We still feed DD the rice cereal on occasion but more often than not she pushes it away. :)  Our pedi says the most important thing is the iron, but her formula has tons of iron so I don't worry as much about the cereal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi All,

a few updates - the flight we took last week was successful!  the way home we were delayed in the airport almost 2 hours too but he did great!  fell asleep before we even boarded and then slept the 1st hour of the flight!  I didn't wake him to feed him at take off like I did on the way there since it woke him and caused him to get fussy.. but not bad fussy just 5 mins..  overall he did great.  I did buy the red gate check bag for the carseat but we were able to bring it on the flight both ways (thankfully since he slept in it at least 2 hours each flight and just sat in it looking around otherwise) so we used the bag on the snap n go which worked great! 

we broke the swaddle habit just over 2 weeks ago now and it's been a success!!!  in fact we've had a few nights of 12 hours straight and since we broke the habit we've been getting at least 8-5am!  I should have done it sooner.  I guess the breaking out of the swaddle really was waking him up.  we had one bad night for transition and that was it.  he now LOVES his sleep sack!  

we had his 6 month appt on Aug 4th and he was 21 lbs, 28 1/4 inches!  a big guy... so that prompted us to order some convertible seats.  we ordered from albeebaby and received them within 3 days.. great site if you never used it before! 

we just increased to 3 meals a day.. boy is it tough... we did one meal a day from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 months, then increased to two meals a day for 3 weeks and now we are on 3 meals a day for the last 6 days..  maybe that has helped the sleeping too?  not sure..  either way, he is doing great with food.  Last night we tried one of the stage one chickens though... OH boy was that awful!!!  he has never made a face at anything and he looked at me like i poisoned him, then spit bubbles, then started gagging.. i tried once more thinking maybe it was too hot even though i tested it and same response.  he then wouldn't open his mouth!!  so i said ok, no more chicken let's try peas.. but i think a little chicken was on the spoon and he got so mad at me..  then he wouldn't eat peas!  OH boy..  so i ended up scrapping the peas and chicken last night and gave him some rice cereal and bananas which he ate happily...  maybe i should try the chicken again in a few days??  how do you all get the protein into them?  our pedi said no yogurt till 9 months.  i'm sure he is getting a good amount from the formula, rice, and oatmeal too? should i even try protein again or wait until he has teeth and try making our own..?

I feel like he has been teething FOREVER!!! but nothing yet..  6 1/2 months and no teeth..  maybe soon! 

Love reading all the updates!  these little ones are growing soooo fast! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Jan - glad the flight went off without a hitch!  Just wanted to endorse making your own chicken.  My DD still has no teeth at almost 11 months (of course we have been saying she's 'teething' for about 9 months now!) so she still does a good amt of pureed foods.  I just poach the chicken in water which makes it really tender, then puree in my food processor and freeze in cubes.  It comes out SO much better than the canned stuff!  I usually give it to her mixed with something she likes, like carrot, apple, or sweet potato puree. 

For protein, we also do tofu either mashed or pureed, chickpeas, lentils, cheese, and veggie burgers (Dr. Praeger's). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

jewels - thanks for the tips!  I wasn't sure I could do it without teeth but great to know!!  is it still a little stringy.. i think it was the texture he didn't like much.. but how do I really know..  also a great idea about mixing with sweet potatoes or apples or something..  and i love the chickpeas idea.. also i have heard of avocado which that just reminded me of..  they told us to stay away from cheese/yogurt till 9/10 months so i'll have to wait on the cheese a bit..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

When do you add protein in addition to the fruits and veggies?  We're just about to start fruits and veggies (and formula).  I hope I don't have to worry about something else too soon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

Not as much stringy as...mealy maybe?  There's definitely some texture to it.  The fruit or veg purees help thin it out.  I also add some water while pureeing which helps break it down more. 

It's amazing how much they can gum!  She's able to do avocado, blueberries/cherries, toast, soft steamed carrots, baked apple, fresh soft melons, pear, and nectaries, veggie burgers, zucchini pancakes...it goes on.  Granted I'd like some teeth in there to give me more piece of mind with her chewing, but oh well ;)

Fram, my pedi said we could start meat at 6 months!  I think I waited until about 8 though. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Fram - my little guy has been on food - rice, oatmeal, fruits, veggies since 4 1/2 months so at his 6 mo appt the pedi told us to go ahead and try to start adding protein just no cheese/yogurt till 9 or 10 mos.  we actually moved up to stage 2 foods off and on with the stage ones.. i'm addicted to those squeeze packet foods like ellas.. such good combinations and he seems to love them! plus they are convenient when out and about.. i bought the spoon thing that screws right onto them and poof.. got a spoon and food anywhere!  I also stopped nursing at 3 months when i went back to work during the day and then gave up night time and mornings at 5 months so he's been used to the formula for a while now..  he loves oatmeal and fruits in the mornings, we never really did just rice.  take it slowly - you'll find she'll start to love her fruits and veggies and then once you know she is good with those then try the protein..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Jewels - all great ideas!!  who knows when he'll get teeth.. although i do think it's pretty cute to see this toothless dimpled smile every day!  :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - if it's helpful, at our 9 month pedi appt. she said we *need* to give her more protein ("more" being a little vague, but I'm assuming some at least in one or two meals per day).  Before that she said it didn't really matter.  This was the first time she actually gave us a directive.

I'm not big on the pureed meats (my own issue) and I'm not ready to give her actual chicken or beef or meat of any kind (again, my own issue), so we've been doing tofu, white fish, cheese, yogurt...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - try some egg yolk.  They can't have the white until 12 months - but mine loved scrambled or hard boiled egg yolk at that age.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Or beans?  I think there was another thread about beans.  My LO loves hummus.  I think hummus, BM, and yogurt are probably her main protein sources.
    I also really like the Sprout brand advanced meals.  She loves the beef lasagna and the creamy chicken.  They aren't really pureed meat, more like ground beef.  They need salt but they actually taste good.  If you look at the ingredients, it's just like if I made a meal and pulsed it up for her.  Except apparently I don't cook any more...

I'm writing about the EI evaluation!  We had it yesterday and it was fun.  Some very nice ladies came over, and the LO was definitely comfortable with the whole thing.  It was nice because it confirmed my perception, which was that it was only the gross motor skills that were off -- everything else was very much normal.  Nice to know I wasn't missing something.
    The upshot is that since the motor skills (fine and gross) get a combined score in the evaluation, she doesn't automatically qualify for EI because the fine motor brought her total score up too much.  However, the people showed me how when they break up the scores, the gross motor is low enough that it allows them to recommend her for 6 months of EI.  So we'll have the family plan meeting next week, but it sounds like we'll be doing a weekly thing.  I am looking forward to it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: August - Infants and Toddlers:
    Poppy - try some egg yolk.  They can't have the white until 12 months - but mine loved scrambled or hard boiled egg yolk at that age.
    Posted by misslily

If you scramble them, how do you get all the whites off?   Maybe (hopefully, of course) your kids aren't allergic to eggs and it hasn't mattered, but could just a drop of the whites be able to trigger an allergic reaction in a baby who is allergic?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostongal19. Show Bostongal19's posts

misslily

There is a indeed a bill requiring health insurance companies to cover up to $2,000 for hearing aids for children.  It's House Bill No. 52, Sponsored by Rep. Sean Garballey, D-Arlington.  It has a ton of co-sposnors and was released from Committee with a favorable report (a good thing).  It is now in the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing.  You should call your state rep and senator ask them to support this bill (they may already by a co-sponsor).  Ask them to send a letter of support to the Speaker of the House, and the Chair of Health Care Financing. 

Bills of this nature often kick around for 8-10 years, but pass b/c of a ground swell of support from activists and voters.  Insurance Companies are obviously opposed to this type of legislation, however with enough support they have a good shot.  The main number for the state house is 617-722-2800.  Good Luck and I hope this helps!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh, right, I forgot egg!  DD loves eggs!  We do the whole egg - whites and yolks. The pedi said it was fine. We've done some beans, which she doesn't love, but haven't tried hummus yet - it's on the list of things to try.

Medford - so glad EI went well!!  Good that they are able to separate out the scores and give her some services she can benefit from.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks BostonGal! I'm calling the statehouse today during lunch!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Poppy, I had good luck sauteeing ground meat (lamb or dark meat turkey) and breaking it up into small pieces, mixing it with a fruit puree (usually apricot or prunes) and whizzing it a couple of times with a hand-held mixer.  I also did straight-up purees, but I agree -- the texture is a bit ick. 

This also helps with the constipation issue.  Meat, cheese, pasta, rice ... all this stuff can bind them up.  And, of course, all DD's favorites would have her bound up for weeks. 

For protein, we do yogurt; ground turkey/lamb/beef; hummus, cheese.  Beans weren't a big hit (may try again), nor were eggs (ditto), and for some reason I just haven't given her chicken yet ... will try that soon. 

Oh, soups/stews -- those are good foods for the finger food set.  Just strain out a serving and you have your meat, carb & veggies.  Just watch the salt. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Trader Joe's makes a tahini-free hummus, and my DD LOVES it. 

Hummus or a variation (I smash some black beans or cannelinis in the food processor) on crackers or toast is one of her favorite proteins.  Fresh mozzarella is her favorite cheese, but she'll happily eat cheddar or fontina or whatever else I give her.  Chicken, ground beef, and turkey (the deli meat kind or ground), are her other big proteins now.  Oh, and yogurt!  I buy the big tub of plain whole milk Stoneyfield and mix it with mashed bananas and fruit purees and she has that for breakfast most mornings. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

On the yogurt, we switched from Yo Baby Organic (it often lists sugar as it's second ingredient!) to an organic whole fat greek yogurt that has lots of protein. DD loves it plain, or with fruit puree mixed in.

I'm with you on the meat, I have such a hard time feeling good about giving her meat.

Has anyone noticed their own eating habits changing as you start to think about what your baby is eating? I had a light switch go off a few weeks ago when I realized I was eating food I was not willing to give DD. Since I stopped eating most foods I was not willing to give her, I certainly feel better and actually have lost 4 lbs. (granted, DD also self-weaned in the last few weeks).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We do the same as LuvRI on the yogurt - big tub of whole milk stonyfield mixed with fruit purees.  Or squash puree, oddly, is a big hit!
    I agree that the YoBaby is annoying with the sugar!  I know fruit purees have sugar, but not added sugar... but yet I may go over to the YoBaby now that we'll be starting day care.  Individual cups are convenient...

Sections
Shortcuts