August - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: August - Infants and Toddlers

I need to get my but in gear on the potty training but with a 3 week old it makes it hard.

So DS is just about three weeks old tomorrow.  After the formula issue we are doing good.  We are keeping him on the liquid for now and the doc said to trainsition a bottle when he is one month old so we will go for that in the next few weeks.  Last week at his 2 week check up he was back up past his birth weight to 8.9 so that was good.  The sleep depervation is not terrible although when he has his last bottle between 9-12 he does not want to go to bed but at least when he eats again in the wee early hours he falls right back to sleep.    He is fixing his days and nights which has been good.  My mom is visiting from FLA so she has spent most of the week with me and we have been getting out of the house and doing errands and things around the house I have been putting off.   IT has been a big help getting two kids out of the car, and into carriges etc...I think once she leaves I will feel better about getting the two of them out together by myself. 

Other than that, we have no issues and things are going great.  I might have to take him to see a nurse tomorrow to get some silver nitrate on his belly button because it is taking a long time to heal but that is no big deal.  The doc did it last week and it healed up pretty good, just a little more to go. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hi everyone - glad to hear all the updates and glad to hear all the poor little ones who weren't feeling well or were injured are better!

Memes and Nene - happy birthday!  We also had the 1st birthday over the weekend.  I can't believe it.

Lissa - thanks to you and to others who posted encouraging stories about non-crawlers.  We are non-crawlers... still.  I had put aside worry about it, but it's cropped back up with the first birthday.
    She has made great progress in the last couple of weeks.  Suddenly started creeping forward on her belly, pulling forward with her hands and pushing with her big toes!  It's super cute.  And on her birthday she started getting up on her hands and knees for a few seconds at a time -- you can tell it's really difficult for her, but she keeps trying.  I can also see when she's sitting that she's really trying to figure out how to go forward onto her belly (and I keep demonstrating!) but she can't quite get her legs the right way.  Sometimes she tries to move her leg with her hands, which is also super cute.  Anyway, 1 year appointment next week and we will see what her doctor says.

Sorry for the run-on post... also got the call today that she will have a slot in daycare for fall and I'm feeling pretty emotional.  I think I'll post about that elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Medford,
    remember, children reach developmental stages at different times - and in their own order.  i would speak with your pediatrician about the fact that she isn't crawling and even can't get from sitting to tummy, because this is a little later than typical, but then only worry if she/he is worried. 
    (was she a premie?  sick or hospitalized during her early months?  does she seem stiff - is she hard to hold and carry? does she seem to carry her weight when you hold her (vs. being "dead weight" like a 4 month old usually is?) - can you easily do a "bicycle movement" with her legs when she's on her back or is she really stiff?  these might be things to bring up to your pediatrician.  While I do know lots about child development, I AM NOT A PEDIATRICIAN so i do NOT want me to cause you worry.  That's the LAST THING you need!

But, can I ask if you have your daughter down on the ground playing most of the time  vs. having her sit in a bumbo chair/exercauser/jonny jump up/walker/blah blah?  Because if they are in those seats or things they don't get the change to exercise their muscles, especially their core muscles, all of which are necessary for holding up in a crawl position, reaching, sitting, leaning, and eventually walking. 

so, if you find you have her in those things more than not, I'd stop doing it.  She must have the opportunity to be sitting on a blanket, on the carpet, whatever, and have the physical space and opportunity to get onto her tummy, from her tummy try to crawl, etc. 

We had a child who had to be in a bumbo chair for 30 minutes after she ate every single time because of horrible Reflux, and she definitely sat up, rolled over and crawled later.  She was also a serious premie, so it could have been her premie-ness - you have to adjust their ages for a few years.  But now she's a VERY typical 2 yr 4 mo old and you'd never know she did some of those earlier things later at all.

If she does have LOTS of opportunity all day long to stretch, lean, wiggle, reach, roll over, etc. and she's not doing some of those things, just keep an eye out with your pediatrician.  I would stress to your pediatrician that you are worried, though, and see why she/he isn't - because sometimes I think pediatricians dismiss things parents are worried about and yet parents have good instincts and should be listened to - even if you ARE a first time parent and don't have much experience!  So ask him/her WHY she/he isn't concerned, and they'll either give you good reasons or bogus ones - if you think they are bogus you'll get a 2nd opinion, if you think the reasons are well-thought out and good, then you'll be reassured.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks CT-DC.  It's great to hear your insights.  I agree that I need to emphasize this with our pediatrician.  When she wasn't moving around at 9 months, it wasn't that unusual, but now it's getting unusual.  I am also going be clear with him about what gross motor things she can and cannot do... not just "she's not crawling".

She wasn't a preemie and was never ill.  She doesn't spend a lot of time in an exersaucer -- usually just while I eat breakfast, plus perhaps a few minutes if I need to make multiple trips to the car to load or unload.  She did spend a lot of time in the bouncy seat when she was younger -- I didn't realize it might not be the best idea and she loved it so much.  But for months now, she gets put down on the floor either sitting or on her belly for pretty much the whole day unless she's napping, eating, or out for a walk.  She'll play with toys or books in either of those positions for ages.
    All the fine motor and cognitive "milestones" are in line with the charts that I despise... but gross motor, not so much.
    We will see...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford - please keep us posted, and I'm curious to hear what your pediatrician has to say.  DS is also very similar at just about 10 mths.  He does get a ton of floor time too, so reading CT's thoughts were very helpful.  My friend's daughter who is practically running already, same age, is also a 2nd and sees her older sister do so much.  So I have to try to remember not to compare those two.  My DS once flopped from sitting to his belly, totally by accident reaching too far for something.  But he didn't seem to mind, grabbed his toy and went about playing.  Just haven't seen it again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

IPW, I will let you know after our appointment next week!  I will say that at our 9 month appointment the doctor was not concerned.  Our LO has made more progress in the last two weeks than in the month before that, so we will see.  She'll probably learn to crawl the day before the appointment, just to mess with me...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Med and IP, I'm sure I've posted about this before, but I'll post it again because I really think it helps to have a positive example if you're feeling down (still do all the things DC mentioned of course)

Friends of ours have a DD the same age as my DD and my daughter was actually walking (11 mo) before their daughter even crawled.  Around a year, naturally my friend became quite concerned and talked to her pedi, who was also concerned, but not alarmed.  I don't remember the details of what happened in between, but at 2 we spent the weekend together camping and I can tell you there was absolutely no difference in my friends DD and mine as far as their development goes - they were both walking, playing at the playground, testing the water etc.

As with the daycare, hang in there!  It's hard not to stress, I know. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Canuk!  I am mostly non-stressed, but I do think we're at the point where I also need to advocate for her at the pediatrician's visit (as CT-DC suggested).  I have a tendency to be *too* laissez-faire sometimes.

Here's something cute: she got the book Jamberry for her birthday, and I was reading it and she was turning the pages like she does, and I was assuming she wasn't paying attention to the words and neither was I.  There was some sort of passage like "all the sheep dancing in berry jam" that I just glossed on by with no emphasis, but she started doing her little dancing!  So funny.  Same thing happened the next day when I read it.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Medford:

As I had posted before, my DD is 15 mo and still not walking, so I know how you feel, sort of.  I wasn't super worried until I got one of those babycenter emails that 90% of toddlers will walk by 15 months.  My Pedi (at her 15 mo appt) stood her up (she stands fine on her own) and said that there was no reason she wasn't walking, she just wasn't and not to worry.  She said DD probably has no need since we (DH and I) are literally always on the floor with her.  Here's where I'm going, do you put toys out of DDs reach?  Does she not have a reason to crawl because you hand everything to her? 

Regardless, good luck at the pedi.  Some babies never crawl.  My MIL is fond of telling me how DH and my SIL never "properly" crawled.  Maybe DD will just get up and start walking!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Canuk - do you know if your friend had any sort of intervention for her child?  I'm asking because I have a close friend who is trying to determine what to do about intervention for her almost-1-year-old who has trouble moving off of his bum.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Trouble!  Yes, we put toys out of her reach.  Generally she plays with the carpet instead.  :)  Although now she can pull herself along so she's exploring on her belly.  Poppy, that's a great question about intervention.

IPW - I was reading some of the older posts and I noticed that your LO is standing, where ours is not standing on her own, even holding on to things.  I think this is why I have to be more clear to the doctor about what she can and can't do... at our 9 month when I said she wasn't crawling, he talked all about how babies are different and have their own mechanisms to move around.  But I need to make sure he knows it's not just "not crawling", but be really specific about all these gross motor things.

Trouble - I just read your post about the seizure.  Poor little thing and poor mom and dad!  You must have been very brave.  It was hard to read and I'm sure it was WAY harder to write, but thank you for writing about what to do in that situation.  I'm glad to know it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: August - Infants and Toddlers:
    Medford: As I had posted before, my DD is 15 mo and still not walking, so I know how you feel, sort of.  I wasn't super worried until I got one of those babycenter emails that 90% of toddlers will walk by 15 months.  My Pedi (at her 15 mo appt) stood her up (she stands fine on her own) and said that there was no reason she wasn't walking, she just wasn't and not to worry.  She said DD probably has no need since we (DH and I) are literally always on the floor with her.
    Posted by Trouble30

My daughter was a late crawler and walker (she never learned to crawl very well and would fall over a lot, do the commando crawl, or drag one leg like an injured insect and go in a big circle). A couple days before our 18-month appointment I mentioned to our awesome babysitter that I was worried because the ped would be asking about it, and when I came to pick my daughter up that evening she walked down the hall to me! The babysitter had spent the day teaching my daughter to walk. She tied a long scarf around her chest, under her armpits, and used it to help her balance. Apparently it was largely a matter of confidence, because once she realized that she COULD walk, she wanted to walk all the time. So we made a good showing at the Ped appt and also life got a LOT easier once she was walking -- we could go to the park and do other fun stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

When DD was younger, we went to a weekly new mom's group that featured all sorts of speakers on autism, home safety, child development, nutrition, vaccines, lots of other good topics. A couple of times the presenter was from our local early intervention and did little evals of our babies and offered great advice and insight if we ever needed it.

One big take away is that you can contact them directly, you do not need your pediatricians referral (or approval).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

EI is great. My BFF's daughter just graduated from it. It was a great experience for them, and they really loved the woman they worked with. They were so sad when she aged out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford, yes he does stand holding onto something for a minute or so before losing his footing, but only when placed there.  He doesn't try to pull himself up on anything/us, but I'm not worried about that quite yet.  I posted earlier (in this same thread I think) about my worry about DS falling.  I actually have a question and would love some advice.  So I've kinda joked about my DS's inability to fall "correctly."  When he's sitting, if he loses his balance, he seems to whip himself backwards (of course banging his head and therefore crying).  I know he needs more abdominal strength to slow himself down... I'm guessing that comes with more belly time and (hopefully) crawling.  When he's standing, sometimes he pushes himself off backwards and just completely stiffens like a board.  Thereby landing first on his head not his bum.  We have always caught him just in time before head hits the ground, so he thinks its somewhat fun.
    Do I just stop doing this and let him fall?  Will that hopefully teach him to bend and try to hit his bum first?  Any thoughts on how I can "teach" him to fall better and safer?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

When he's sitting, if he loses his balance, he seems to whip himself backwards (of course banging his head and therefore crying).
    Posted by IPWBride

YES.  This is exactly what our LO does.  Although I think it has improved over the course of the last few months.  But it was the exact same scenario when she was 9 or 10 months.  I also think she is cautious about falling.  For example, you mentioned accidentally going forward from sitting onto the belly -- she did that a few times and wasn't happy.  Now she leans forward and pushes her hands on the floor and bounces, but she won't go for it.  I can even see her looking at my legs (as I demo the transition) and trying to move hers the same way.  But it's like she's not going to try it if she's not sure.
    ML and Lemon - thanks for the EI information!  I have been reading up and it's so interesting!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Oh.  (Sorry I keep posting a million times.)
    IPW - not sure if I have the best advice, but regarding the falling while sitting:  at first we would keep big poufy couch cushions on the floor behind her.  Then we switched to flat, less poufy throw pillows.  Then flatter ones or maybe a blanket.  Then just carpet (this coincided with her also learning to spin around while sitting, so there was no point in putting things behind her).  Now she's good enough that she is generally OK even if she falls over on the carpet.  Now I'll put her down to sit on the wood floor, although she will cry if she falls over, but it doesn't happen often.
    I am not sure if this helped her or if it just helped me -- I think *she* needed to learn what would happen if she fell, but *I* needed for it to happen gradually because I hate it when she hits her head.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

She tied a long scarf around her chest, under her armpits, and used it to help her balance.
    Posted by lemonmelon

That's how my mom taught me to swim.  No lie.  Tied me up and tossed me in the lake at about a year old.  She stood on the dock.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Personally, I would try to let them fall and be as non-reactive about it as possible. They're going to hit their heads a lot, but they have really, really hard heads. I think that one of the reasons my daughter was a late walker was that she got her cues from me, and I was freaked out about her hurting herself.

Once they start walking you really have to gird your loins. My daughter face-planted into our brick walkway from three steps up last summer -- her face was all bruised up and scraped raw. I thought we were both going to die. But now when she takes a header my husband and I just say, "can you shake it off?" and either she shakes it off and keeps on keeping on or we assess the situation and administer kisses and bandaids accordingly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Thanks Med, my cousin adopted her son and daughter from Korea and they both had upper body strength issues that impacted their crawling and walking, and they also had some speech delays common among babies who hear one language constantly - and then another language constantly.

She had a totally wonderful, positive experience both times with EI (on the North Shore). I'm sure if down the road you (or anyone) needed someone to talk to, she'd be glad to.

As for letting things happen, FWIW DD fell off the bed a few months ago. Since then, she avoids the edge. It seems she learned her lesson, and has no scars (DH and I have the scars from that fall though!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Poppy, no, not that I know of.  I think the ped said to wait until the next check up (don't recall if it was 15 or 18 mo) and then they would re-assess, by which time she was a-movin!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

IPW and Med - Just a positive side note.  My nephew was not walking at 22 months.  I nearly had a heart attack and her pediatrician had just barely recommended physical therapy. Anyway, he just decided to walk one day and was completely fine.  Super late, so yes, some kids just develop differently.

That being said, I would definitely recommend getting Early Intervention eval.  It is one of those things that can be super helpful, causes no harm and is just a win-win.   The VAST majority of kids seen through EI end up being completely normal but why not get the services that are provided?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Plus their playgroups are off the hook

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

This past spring we had two children who did NOT walk until they were 17 months old - one was big and ungainly and the other was teeny tiny and proportional - so much for any theories there!  And another baby who was born in march JUST started walking last week, so that's at 16 months - she was cruising for a long time, could let go and hold something and stand, but would NOT walk more than 3 steps, especially if anyone was watching.  Oh, and another about 2 years ago didn't start walking until 17 months, I forgot her!  All of these children are now doing fine, and don't look any different from other age-mates.

So children all do things at different rates, it's just that you want to make sure it's that they are developing at a different rate vs. having a delay or a something else that won't allow them to walk.

There is a difference between being a baby who rolls with the punches & & honestly doesn't seem to care that the favorite toy rolled out of reach, vs. a baby with low tone who is frustrated and wants to get to the toy but cannot.

It'll be interesting to see when each medford and ipw's babies crawl and walk!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

You guys are kind of getting me excited for EI!
    IPW, I'll report back after the pediatrician visit on Monday.

Sections
Shortcuts