August - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: August - Infants and Toddlers

The Yo Babies are just so easy, it's my one willful-blindness moment when it comes to what's in her food.  From both a money- and a sugar-perspective, I ought to be buying the tub and sweetening with fruit, but sometimes it's still too tart, so I just go with it. 

Are you guys vegetarians -- did I miss that?  I love giving DD little meatballs -- she gobbles them up and gets all excited. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

As for adding proteins, salmon and fish are a nice easy protein to introduce-easy to gum or chew-we're just careful fresh salmon filet we buy from whole foods often still has bones in it. Which can be a pain. We also get a greek yogurt (greek has more protein than regular yogurt) from Trader Joes-this stuff is so yummy! it's got blue on the container-DS loves it and has some every night before bed.

when DS was only 9 mo old for his check up the pedi asked what he liked to eat-we had just gone out for a dinner and he loved the creme brulee-the pedi laughed and said "well, we know he's not allergic to eggs now." Bad mommy for letting him taste some good stuff.

Now that DS is 2.5 and is very verbal he questions us on our food choices and we don't want to give him. like the occassional soda-rare in our household, but DS will ask about it, we'll tell him it's yucky and he asks us right back "why are you drinking it." Definitely makes you rethink your bad habits, even if they are rare.

For those of you with toddler and a babies-how have you found the toddler/older child handles the baby waking up in the middle of the night-am I likely to have two kiddos up in the middle of the night? 4 weeks until I'm due and I'm starting to stress about how DS will handle the noise in the middle of the night. DS is definitely getting the idea that there is a baby in mommy's belly (has even scolded her for kicking me too hard). He's definitely getting tired of mommy's belly getting big and limiting what I feel comfortable to do-he keeps telling me that my belly is getting smaller.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We also did her first piece of cheeseburger over the weekend.  Loved it.

Speaking of yogurt, does anyone know of a straw cup where the straw is attached but there is *NO* valve or anything blocking the straw?  We have found the LO can drink yogurt/fruit through a straw and it's fast and she loves it, but obviously we have to hold the straw.  I'm thinking a straw cup would be great for yogurt at day care.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

GC, strangely enough I love meat but for some reason I get so worked up about giving DD meat - I just want it to be organic, grass fed and in small amounts and that's often hard to do!

We had talked about raising DD as a vegetarian, but neither of us were willing to give up meat entirely so we felt like hyprocrites. She has had all kinds of fish, chicken and beef, even some ground beef, which she loved - but getting organic beef and chicken is such an ordeal sometimes (not to mention expensive!) that I don't often feel good about giving her meats of any kind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our Shaw's and Stop & Shop both carry hormone-free beef and chicken. We're also close to Trader Joe's, which carries that stuff and really excellent bison as well.

Not to worry you even more, but not all seafood is without risk either. Farm-raised salmon is carcinogenic; Asian shrimp is loaded with antibiotics, and larger fish (tuna, swordfish) are full of mercury. For us, the best solution has been to eat mostly vegetables and keep our meat portions very small -- never the focus of the meal. That allows us to spend more money on top-quality stuff. For seafood, we follow EWG advice (we use their advice for most of our food shopping). Mostly we stick with tilapia, which is delicious and has a very low environmental impact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Meatballs!!  I love that idea!  I'll have to try that soon.
    I have the same feelings about grass-fed, especially after reading Omnivore's Dilemma, ugh.  I haven't been good about transitioning for just DH and I (we rarely eat cow) but I do think about it for her.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't get too crazy about food, but I am really firm on the meat and dairy thing. My little neice's friends were entering puberty at SEVEN years old. It's really disturbing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I feel the same way about meat and dairy and the hormones.  Also, my main apocalyptic fear is antibiotic resistance, so I also make sure it is raised without antibiotics.

Sometimes the "good stuff" goes on sale and you can stock up.  The boneless skinless chicken breasts were on sale at Stop and Shop this weekend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Oh Lem, you are totally right and that sucks.

My BIL is a fisherman, every bit of fish we eat comes off his boat and it's very hard to say no to his fish, but I agree it's not good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: August - Infants and Toddlers:
    Oh Lem, you are totally right and that sucks. My BIL is a fisherman, every bit of fish we eat comes off his boat and it's very hard to say no to his fish, but I agree it's not good.
    Posted by ml2620-2

The smaller ones are usually fine! The bigger they are, the more mercury they carry.

I LOVE fish, and if my BIL was a fisherman I would eat fish all the time. Delicious. EWG has a quick-reference fish list at http://www.ewg.org/files/fishguide.pdf

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I actually read a very disturbing article - which I can't find anymore - about eating lots of soy products and early puberty.  And my BFF - who had breast cancer was told by her oncologist to avoid soy at all costs as it can cause tumors to grow faster in people who are susceptible.
    I've already called regarding H52 - but thanks so much for thinking of me.  I'm hoping it will pass - I saw an article about the woman who spearheaded it.  She has hard of hearing twins too and estimates she will spend $40,000 on their hearing by the time they are 21 years old.
    Anyone else who wants to call their rep on my behalf - I'd really appreciate it!
    Kar - you separate the egg BEFORE scrambling. :)
    Poppy - our other favorite has been Barilla Plus - pasta with fiber and protein - I make all their mac & cheese with that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

There was a big hooplah a few years back about the presence of estrogen-like chemicals in soy. I remember either Stewart or Colbert were making fun of a columnist who claimed that soy was making kids gay.

I don't think there's enough research to say for sure what the longterm effects of increased soy consumption are. But I don't think it causes or cures cancer

http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=soy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

If you have a certain type of breast cancer, you are advised not to eat soy of any kind (my mother had that type). 

Misslily - thanks for the Barilla Plus recommendation.  I'll feel less guilty about giving her pasta.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Medford - glad your EI eval went well!

I have definitely noticed that I pay more attention to what I eat and have tried to eliminate things that I don't want to give to DS.  I haven't lost any weight but its been a busy summer of bbq's with lots of bad food!

We haven't done a lot of fish but DS eats all kinds of meats and has had egg as well.  Sometimes he eats the egg sometimes he doesn't.  He likes chicken, meatballs...because of family health issues we eat a lot of chicken and fish but he has liked everything so far. 

Do people do snacks and what kind of snacks do you do?  Daycare has snacks twice a day so we have been doing that on weekends but I don't want to give him goldfish and puffs all the time.  Sometimes I do fruit or yogurt.  We are trying to teach DS the sign for hungry (he has all done down pat) so he can tell us when he is hungry but he will eat whenever we give him something!

Oh and over the weekend Ds tipped over his pack n play when we were visiting my parents down the cape.  Apparently he was all done with his nap. He is only 11 1/2 months...oy we are in trouble aren't we!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

It is VERY hard to cut soy out of any diet.  Since DS is sensitive to it, I've been reading labels and just today when I went to eat a cough drop, sure enough there is soy in it.  Same thing with corn. Corn and Soy are so cheap that they are put in everything to be used as bulking agents or stabilizers. It's no wonder kids have soy allergies/sensitivities.  I wonder if it has something to do with what I ate during pg?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

anchovies!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I do snacks twice a day.  I will admit to giving "carbs" a lot at snack time.  Cheerios, goldfish, Cheddar bunnies are all favorites.  I also do yogurt smoothies - in a regular sippy cup or a straw cup.  And they like cheese - which makes a good snack too.  Sometimes I cut up an apple or give some banana.  But I always give fruit for dessert at meals so I'm not too worried about a small handful of cheerios at snack time.

Medford - good luck with the EI.  I love my EI lady.  She and I can both see a big improvement in DS since she started coming.  He's really starting to repeat more phrases - his pronounciation isn't great - but we're going to work on that.  I love having an expert come and check on him every week.  It makes me feel so much better about his progress.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It is VERY hard to cut soy out of any diet.  Since DS is sensitive to it, I've been reading labels and just today when I went to eat a cough drop, sure enough there is soy in it.  Same thing with corn. Corn and Soy are so cheap that they are put in everything to be used as bulking agents or stabilizers. It's no wonder kids have soy allergies/sensitivities.  I wonder if it has something to do with what I ate during pg?  
    Posted by ajuly09

I implore, beg, plead with you to watch "The Future of Food" on Netflix - you'll be so interested by it and will be glad you did.  It's awesome information.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I listened to this podcast today on my way to work -- fascinating! I'd known that food tastes came through breast milk, but I didn't know they also came through amniotic fluid.

As a side note -- you couldn't pay me enough to sit through a "smell this amniotic fluid" focus group. Gross.

Baby's Palate And Food Memories Shaped Before Birth

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/08/139033757/babys-palate-and-food-memories-shaped-before-birth

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Do people do snacks and what kind of snacks do you do? 
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy

Our daughter snacks pretty consistently throughout the day. Lately her favorite snacks are cucumber and sun gold tomatoes, because we're growing them in the garden. She also loves to munch on raw carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, apples, and pears. Right now the little apples and pears are out at the farmer's markets, and they're perfect because she can eat the whole thing and none of it gets thrown away. She likes to take charge of her own food, so she'll snack on a giant chunk of cucumber (or, lately, a whole cucumber, because we have a surplus) but she'll balk if I try to slice them up. She LOVES cheese. I send squares or sticks to daycare (we buy organic when we can make the trip to whole foods, and cabot when we have to pick them up at Shaw's), but for home we eat fancy cheese  she picks from Whole Foods -- her favorite is Gruyere. She loves berries of all kinds. And of course we do goldfish, raisins, craisins, and animal crackers. Sometimes fig newtons as well -- we buy the fig newmans or the Trader Joe's or Whole Foods brands.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

The food stuff is so overwhelming if you think about it.  I try to do everything in moderation (this is how I justify her eating the school lunches because it lifted a huge weight off of me...their menu has mostly healthy items with the exception of turkey hotdogs which she does not eat).  I became more conscious about grocery shopping a few years ago and buy cleaner meats, dairy, and fruits and my wallet felt the difference.  For health reasons we are trying to increase the fruits and veggies and decrese carbs and meat which is always easier in the summer with farmer's market but is harder in the winter months. 

I agree the yobaby yogurts are annoying with the sugar.  I try to justify it by telling myself that DD has a limited sugar intake anyway so it isn't as bad and I try to limit it for when I need something quicker.  We also buy a big tub of greek yogurt and include it in her cereal with fruit.  Luckily, DD doesn't mind the tartness especially if I mix the yogurt with cinnamon.  But, I agree that I've also tried to limit my fruit sweetened yogurt and have been moving towards all plain as well.  Unfortunately for me, I only like Fage, and its soo expensive. 

For snacks, we try to limit the puffs (she gets cheerios at school) and try to give her yogurt, fruit, and cheese.  She also loves hummus and guacamole.   She also likes some veggie meals I make as well (lentils with sweet potatoes, and a sautee of summer squashes, zucchini, and black beans).  People are always amazed that she isn't too picky of an eater...I'm wondering how long it will alst.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Unless your LO has rejected the tart yogurt repeatedly, I wouldn't worry about it.... DD loves plain yogurt (and sour cream, when I put some on a baked potato for her, she ate all the sour cream and refused the potato).

She also has a strangely sophisticated palate. DH and I got some fancy cheese - It's somewhat like a camenbert, not quite that strong, and is wrapped in walnut leaves. DD wanted to try it, so I gave her a bit on a cracker, expecting her to taste it and reject it, but she licked it all off the cracker and wanted more. She also prefers dark chocolate over milk chocolate, although honestly she is a big fan of pretty much all chocolate, just like her mom. :-)

We don't really drink much soda, but DH and I love seltzer water. We have let DD try it, but she doesn't like the bubbles at all. She takes a sip, makes a big YUK face, and calls it too spicy. So now if she sees me drinking something and I tell her it has bubbles in it, she loses all interest. I'm hoping this lasts for a long time, because I don't want her to be a big soda drinker. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

amy-lynn that's too cute that she calls the bubbles spicy!

We are just starting to introduce some fruits/veggies and I'm starting to think about going organic. DH has always been a big advocate but I've always kind of poo-poo'd it...starting to think otherwise now that I actually have a child.

Is it mostly just the meats and dairy that are concerning, or are there true benefits to organic fruits/veggies also?

Also, people keep GIVING me baby food...some organic, some not. I feel bad so I take it, but I probably am not going to use a lot of it if it is super-processed with chemicals and questionable ingredients. I am going to try and make my own baby food but I honestly don't know how long that will last. Does anyone have any recs for organic baby food?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Amy I love that your daughter thinks fizz is spicy - I used to think the same!  Too cute.

I just tried these really great snacks as I was reading this - oddly enough they were are Subway (I guess healthy is the new "in" thing at fast food places).  "Snapz"... it is one (little) bag with a whole apple, dried as chips inside.  Ingrediants were just apple and lemon juice.  Totally forgot how much I love dried apple chips.  DS will be getting some of those soon.  We also do the starch snacks that have been listed above because DS often will get yogurt/cheese for lunch.  And yes, those Yo-Baby and Yo-Toddlers are to-die-for tasty.  I get the ones that also have squash to somewhat make up for the sugar guilt.

And Estrogen is a huge danger to cancer.  As Lemon says, can't say that it CAUSES cancer, but like Poppy, my MIL (and her two sisters, one who passed away from it) all had estrogen-based breast cancer.  They are now practically forbidden from eating soy by their docs.  And since it is everywhere, my biggest fear is not only the breast cancer gene that my DH's side of the family carries, but I have a little boy.  Don't want him becomming infertile or growing breasts because of all the estrogen out there.  I breathed a sigh of relief that he wasn't allergic to dairy as I would not have given him soy formula. (based on our family genetics... not saying anything bad about soy formula).

Lastly... DS LOVES meatballs.  I either make myself or in a pinch, Trader Joes has great meat and turkey ones that are frozen pre-cooked.  Throw them in sauce for few minutes and viola... a meal my DS will inhale.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Don't forget about plastic, which leaches estrogen into drinking water!
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090326100714.htm
    It's a terrifying world. I try to keep so busy I can't think about all the hazards.

Sections
Shortcuts