August - Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: August - Infants and Toddlers

We try and buy as local and organic as we can. We've been looking into doing a meat share-but have been buying grass feed local beef from a farm near where we live-93% is only 5.49/lb-not bad!

We try and avoid farmed fish and stick with wild fish.

I think organic fruits and veggies are as important as meat/fish. the chemicals they put on fruit to make them grow bigger has to have an impact on us.

For snacks: we're a fruit bowl house. It's in a spot DS can reach it (which does mean I'll find an apple or pear with one or two small bites taken out and put back quiet offen). But he helps himself-I do have to take it away when I'm cooking dinner some nights. But fruit and some nuts or cheese is a good rounded snack. Even raisens and almonds-DS's favorite snack.

No food is off limits to DS-he's had some spicy foods-likes some and not others. I've found him munching on banana peppers while he's waiting for dinner to be served...thought they were yummy. It's funny the food he refuses-breaded chicken. The one time we gave him McDonalds he took a bite of a cheeseburger-spit it out and said "That's really yucky mommy." Can't argue with that! Can't get him to eat a grilled cheese.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kar, I'm adding that to my netflix list asap!

Silver- it is impt. to go organic with fruits/veg, but there are some that you don't need to worry about going organic and it can save money. Bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe, since they have a hard outside, you don't need to worry about them as much.  I always buy berries, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes organic.  I also have a fruit/veg wash that I'll use to wash the outside of a fruit off before I cut it up.  If you start buying all organic produce you'll see a HUGE increase in your shopping budget, but I have found that Trader Joes is the cheapest around for organic produce (stay far away from Stop and Shop and Shaws!) and even Whole Foods has good sales.     
      I don't always buy meat organic, simply because we can't afford it, but will buy the kind that says natural/no growth hormones when I don't get organic.  I have also tried to buy less meat in general, but I grew up eating a meat-carb-veg meal and I always feel like a meal is missing something w/o the meat! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I've been lurking on the food discussion here, even though I don't have any kids (yet).  I've been trying to switch to more organic products during pg, and was feeling frustrated that I hadn't read any evidence of benefit.  (I just felt like there wasn't clear evidence of the complete safety of non-organic products, so would prefer not to reduce the risk by buying organic when possible.)  But then I read this provocative article in the NYT that found a link b/w pesticide exposure in utero and child's IQ:
    ..so if you're wondering if the extra $ on groceries is worth it, that might reassure. At least it made me feel better that I wasn't wasting my money.

Regarding soy, my reading of the literature is that unless you eat huge huge amounts of soy protein isolates or possibly have a medical condition that significantly affects your body's endocrine system, there is basically no evidence of risk to the every day consumption of whole soy products.  And soy is very healthy (lots of good proteins) so there are ample benefits. This was reassuring to me, because I consume soy every day. I just try to focus on whole soy products (e.g. soy milk, tofu, tempeh, miso) and avoid regular consumption of soy isolates (soy protein powders, texturized vegetable protein, certain veggie burgers/fake meat products).  

And, if you eat a lot of processed foods, it's true that soy is in everything. I grew up in the Midwest and still remember a terrifying class fieldtrip to a corn and soy processing plant where they had a room filled with all the byproducts processed by that company.  They basically had replicated the whole freakin' grocery store. The whole plant smelled nauseatingly terrible. It made you never want to eat such a product.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

In Response to Re: August - Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Also, people keep GIVING me baby food...some organic, some not. I feel bad so I take it, but I probably am not going to use a lot of it if it is super-processed with chemicals and questionable ingredients. I am going to try and make my own baby food but I honestly don't know how long that will last. Does anyone have any recs for organic baby food?
    Posted by SilverFestiva[/QUOTE]
    Earth's Best Organic was our favorite.  Gerber also has an organic line now. And there seems to be a new one - the pouches everyone is raving about.  Didn't exist when mine were in puree stage - which is really short BTW. By the time they are 11 or 12 months you're done with it and at table food stage (Hooray!!)
    And Silver - thanks so much for sending that email! I can't tell you what it means to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Kind of odd question but if anyone has the Gerber Organic can you tell me if there is any marking on the plastic containers that say its organic? All the stuff I got today from someone is out of the original packaging so just the plastic tubs of food. It says what it is (sweet potatoes, beans, etc) but doesnt specify if it is the nature select or the organic. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Can't answer the question about Gerber because I didn't use that brand.  When I did buy commercial food my favorite brands (all organic) were Earth's Best, Plum organics, and Ella organics (the latter two come in pouches). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]It is VERY hard to cut soy out of any diet.  Since DS is sensitive to it, I've been reading labels and just today when I went to eat a cough drop, sure enough there is soy in it.  Same thing with corn. Corn and Soy are so cheap that they are put in everything to be used as bulking agents or stabilizers. It's no wonder kids have soy allergies/sensitivities.  I wonder if it has something to do with what I ate during pg?  
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

If you want to know more about that (and it's possible you don't), read Omnivore's Dilemma.  Talks a lot about the corn/soy market and the fact that farmers often alternate those 2 crops.  I never realized how so many products now contain soy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Silver - I *think* the organic Gerber plastic tubs (without the outer wrap) say "org" or something similar on them in that typed font where the other info is... If I still have some at home I'll check them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Silver: On the side of the tub there's small typed print that has the exp date, and a description...it's not always clear what it is, but will say org if it's organic, and won't if it isn't!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Poppy- that book sounds interesting! I'll add it to my reading list, i'm sure I'll get to it soon since I have so much free time to read. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Silver, on the side of the plastic container where there is the experation date and product codes and such, the regular gerber would say "peaches" in small print but the organic would say "organic peaches" in small print.  So, if it doesn't say organic, it is the regular gerber. 
    Someone just gave us a ton of food - so nice.  Except it is a week away from expiration.  No thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Thanks, all!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Poppy- that book sounds interesting! I'll add it to my reading list, i'm sure I'll get to it soon since I have so much free time to read. :)
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Never fear, you WILL have time to read again someday :o)
    I've been reading again since I got back to work since the baby is usually in bed by 8:00.  Of course I'm usually reading in bed around 10:30-11:00 when I should be going to sleep instead!  Hey, the baby needs to suck her thumb and I need to read!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hello!  How did everyone fare in the storm?  We had a pretty uneventful day in my area (Somerville).  Rain and strong winds, but didn't lose power and managed to escape a wet basement.  Just a little stir-crazy all day, but otherwise fine.  I broke down and turned the tv on for a little while in a desperate attempt to keep DD out of the room where DH was trying to get some work done.  She was very excited to see kids dancing on Sprout.

Hope everyone's doing ok!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We were a little stircrazy here too but all and all it was not bad at all.  Some branches in the yard but that was it. 

DS turns 1 in a week!  We are having his party on Sat. with  mostly family and some friends.  We can't wait!  I can't believe it has already been a year!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I realize this is off topic and I haven't read through the whole monthly message to see if it was covered, but when going to South Shore Plaza in braintree the other day, I saw a sign over the old Linens' and Things (behind the barnes and noble) that a Buy Buy Baby was going in. I know that some people love the one in Nashua- thought I would let everyone know.  http://www.patriotledger.com/business/x1305078929/Bed-Bath-Beyond-picks-Braintree-for-its-first-Buybuy-Baby-store-in-state

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I heard about the Buy Buy Baby coming to Braintree!

Big doings at our house during the hurricane: DD started really cruising, on the day she turned 10 months.  Since Saturday, she doesn't like to be sitting or crawling, only standing, and goes back and forth from ottoman to couch, or uses a parent as a prop.  It's amazing and wonderful and also really sad, since she also seems so grown up.  Her face is thinning out and her voice is being heard more, and she is starting to turn into a little girl. 

Hope everyone else is okay post-Irene.  We're in Boston and had some wind and rain, and a couple of down branches, but nothing too bad. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

For homemade baby food:  www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    For grass-fed meats: http://www.8oclockranch.com/

We only buy the grass-fed meats from there when it's cooler out though because otherwise it gets to you and it's not fully frozen.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

hi all - we watched 3 seasons of Mad Men on Sunday waiting for Irene. thankfully there was no damage near us - made for a boring day, but I'll take boring over a flooded basement!

DD turns 5 months this Friday! She is awesome, babbling and blowing raspberries all the time. She isn't rolling over, but I honestly think she just doesn't want to. The last 2 nights she's been having night terrors, I think. It is the saddest thing b/c she is SCREAMING but she is clearly still asleep. I just can't imagine what a tiny person would be dreaming about that would cause that! I can also see the nubs of 2 bottom front teeth - those suckers are coming out any day! Crazy!

She is in daycare 3 days/week with a great lady recommended by bostongrl. We are very grateful for her, because the first woman we chose turned out to be kind of insane/unstable! So thanks, Bostongrl for that rec!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD had her 6 month appointment.  She did great - only cried for a minute after her shots!  She is 27 inches and weighs 16 1/2 lbs. 

We've been doing purees now for about 2 weeks, so she has tried sweet potato, banana, peas, and apple sauce.  Peas were not a hit!  It was hilarious - she would get the shivers when we fed them to her and the look on her face was priceless.  Do you usually keep trying to feed your LOs something when they don't like it?  We gave her peas again the next day, but on the 3rd day switched back to sweet potato.  I have so many food questions!  Might have to start a thread for those...

DD also started formula over the weekend.  At day care, she now gets 2 bottles of BM and one of formula.  She didn't even flinch when DH fed it to her for the first time.

ETA: DH was annoyed at the appt yesterday.  He was the one to put DD down on the table and take off her clothes and diaper, so the nurse said something like, "Are you a hands on dad?  Looks like it."  Not the worst comment in the world, but he was taken aback that it would be a big deal for him to undress his own daughter.  Kind of like when you say a dad is babysitting his own kid.

Sections
Shortcuts