August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

You're on the right track, summer - your pedi said to call for this situation, and you have an appointment. Help will be forthcoming!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, try laying her on your legs belly down and rubbing her back. Try the football hold. Also, do you have a safe place she could sleep that is at an incline?? I have the Fisher Price Rock n Play and that REALLY helped for my friends baby who had bad reflux issues.

Good luck at the pedi tomorrow! I can't stand when my DD is in pain, too. She gets bad gas at night and it kills me to see her struggle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Summer, try laying her on your legs belly down and rubbing her back. Try the football hold. Also, do you have a safe place she could sleep that is at an incline?? I have the Fisher Price Rock n Play and that REALLY helped for my friends baby who had bad reflux issues. Good luck at the pedi tomorrow! I can't stand when my DD is in pain, too. She gets bad gas at night and it kills me to see her struggle.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

We have the RNP, too, she uses it during the day but not at night. She's always worse in the evenings, so I think she's doing ok on her back at night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

On the sippy cup/ speech delay- this only applies to spout cups. Using sippy cups that have a straw do not contribute to a delay. My DS has been using a straw cup since 10 months or so and does okay. You use different muscles to suck from a straw.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Quad: Just curious, does DS hold his own bottle or sippy cup?  My DS basically hates drinking and doesn't hold his bottle.  I wonder if things will be different with the sippy.  DD was never a fan of the spout cups or holding her own bottle either.  She loves the straw cup if she's on the go, but at the table she uses a regular ceramic mug (with Peter Rabbit on it).  She's really good at it and thinks that she's drinking tea :)  Actually, she only ever has water out of it at about 1-2oz at a time.  Now is a great time to perfect the skill because it's summer so if they get all wet, no big deal.  Having a soggy toddler in the middle of winter is the worst!  

Regarding the straw cups, does anyone use the foogo ones from Thermos?  Any ideas where to get replacement straws for it?  DD likes to chew them and has bitten right through.  We have been cutting the tip off, but if she does it again it'll be toast (too short).  

Summer: Good luck with the pedi today!  Hope DD feels better soon!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

DS is 21 mths and he has a 7oz bottle in the morning, and just like Winter, it is totally selfish as that is the only way I can get him diapered and dressed quickly and without fuss.  He lays there drinking and I quickly get him ready.  He uses every variety of sippy... the rubbery spout, hard spout and straw, and doesn't walk around with it either.  Just like Poppy, I just haven't thought it necessary to stop it at this point since I don't think its become a crutch or an impediment.  But I will certainly watch for any speech issues... or ear issues (only 2 ear infections to date).
    Summer good luck at the appt.  A good friend has her 14 week daughter on prilosec for reflux, and noticed a huge difference (they started her at 2 weeks).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

summer- I hope it gets better soon. I know several LOs on meds and it has made a world of difference.

and Lilly- congrats on getting them both out of diapers!! what will you do with all that extra cash??

have a great weekend everyone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Our pedi "scolded" us about not using the sippy cup at 12 mos. I don't remember why though. At that point, DD hated the sippy and would throw it and cry every time she saw it. We just started offering water in it and tried different kinds. She finally loved the plain old Take and Toss ones, so we started offering milk in them. At 15 mos she was having 1 nightly bottle. We had a few nights of tantrums once I decided get rid of it. I gave in a few times when I could tell the tantrum wasn't going to end. Then we went away, and she used the bottle all the time. We came home and was done with them. It was the weirdest thing since I thought we were in trouble. She definitely had a week or 2 of not drinking as much milk. She ate yogurt and cheese to make up for it. Now she drinks 2 -3 cups per day (and refuses to eat yogurt all of a sudden). What straw cups do you use? I think I have some Take and Toss ones. I also have a sippy cup graveyard of all the ones she refused to use.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lily - so excited about the bill!!!  It's ridiculous that they wouldn't be covered.
    Trouble - thanks for the birthday wishes for DD!

Regarding open cups, I let DD have them at meal time (sitting) and she really loves them (in our house they're called big girl cups!).  I got some plastic ones (these: http://www.munchkin.com/multi-cups) from Target or BRU and she enjoys picking the color.  She can definitely manage it physically, so it's fine as long as there is no intentional misbehavior.  I also noticed at daycare that they give them dixie cups of water when they are playing outside in the heat.  All the kids looked super excited!
    Regarding brands of straws and sippy cups, we are mostly take and toss and playtex.  I like the playtex ones because all the lids fit on all the cups, not just the kind they came with.  I kind of hate the take and toss straw cups because the straws pull right out.  I would like to find a straw cup where the straw is attached to the lid, but there's no valve or blocker.  (Alternatively, I might just tape the straws in.)
    If anyone has kids who are into having "grown up" stuff, I saw super adorable kid water bottles (camelbak and nalgene).  They're with straw spouts, but they're basically exactly like the adult ones but shorter and with cool patterns and colors.  I kind of want one!

Winter - what kind of cereal bars does your DS like?  My DD loves them, too, but I would like to find ones that don't have as much sugar.  They're great because they don't take five hours to eat (as is the case with actual cereal!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

DD was put on Zantac. I hope it helps....haven't picked it up from the pharmacy yet but I will later when I go to my own 6 week PP checkup...that itself should be fun (not so much...). I can't believe it's been 6 weeks already!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Summer, my OB asked me about BC at my PP check up. It hadn't even crossed my mind since having DD was BC enough at the time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

medford- we get either jammy sammys or grammy sammys made by plum organics. they aren't cheap, but they are edible without being a destroyed mess, which is what i struggled with with nutrigrain bars, and I feel like they have relatively more health value...

we aren't able to have peanut butter at day care, so we stick to the fruit ones- blueberry and strawberry. DS is also a pouch addict, and we get those in 6 four- pack boxes autodelivery from amazon- saves us a ton of time and money- because they don't sell these everywhere. I have not yet looked to see if Amazon does the cereal bars- before I order 60 of them, I want to make sure that this isn't a temporary fad... they sell them at babies R us and whole foods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Medford, happy birthday little medford btw!  I bought these at a BJs, so price was right.  They are tasty, but definitely not too sweet.  Oddly enough, the flavor I taste most is pumpkin, which is actually in there too.
    http://www.kashi.com/products/soft_n_chewy_bars_banana_chocolate_chip
    They also have cereal bars too that I bet are healthy as well.

This is way OT, but I am thinking I'd like to lose 10 lbs (or so, I'd be thrilled with 8).  I exercise 2x a week, just cardio.  Its all I have time for at the actual gym.  But I'm going to add some strength stuff at home using my DH's p90x tapes.  I just don't know where to start with food.  I eat just about everything, and try to just moderate, and portion control.  I've been the same weight probably 10+ years give or take.  But as I get older, I just notice its so easy for that weight to creep up 3-4 lbs (along with everything going south).  So for my frame, 5'2, I really think I'd be healthier in the long run just a bit lighter (somewhere between 125-128).  I've been trying to cut down on the carbs I eat after lunch, but DH still wants rice or some kinda starch at dinner, so chances are I have a bite or two.  There are just so many diets; "No white foods," "vegan," "No carbs," "Counting calories," "Counting points," etc. etc.  Anyone on here eat a really good, healthy diet and has some recommendations?  I'm going to see if insurance covers a visit with a nutritionist.  Would they be able to help me with a plan?  Never been.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lily - hoping he signs that bill pronto!  I am still flabbergasted after learning from you that hearing aids are not covered.

CT - thanks for all of your thoughts. We seriously need to deal with the pacifier too.  I am much more concerned about that than the bottle.  DD suddenly seems to want it in her mouth all the time.  She's even learned to say, "i NEED it!!" when I say, "You don't need that right now!"  She talks around it, drives us crazy.  DH and I are always taking it away, but the grandmothers let her have it constantly.  I only really noticed that she's relying on it more over the past couple of weeks.  My question is: should we start the new routine of just having paci for bedtimes and maybe car now, with this baby arriving in a week?  Or should we wait? Does it matter?

I'm also encouraged by your comments to start more vigorously with the open cup.  DD has gotten much better at using them, we just need to put only a little bit in at a time.  I'm glad to know that the straw-type are better - we actually use those more.

Summer - good luck with the Zantac, I hope that does the trick.

IPW - I don't know if you've ever tried it, but I really liked, and had success with, Weight Watchers.  I love the online program - you simply type in what you eat, it calculates the points for you, and you see what you need to modify.  I found it very easy and informative, and you have a food journal done pretty effortlessly (as long as you have computer access on a regular basis; if not, I imagine it would be a pain to keep up with).  I used it a lot at work.  At first, I just ate normally and typed everything in.  I learned where I needed to alter my diet and where I could actually eat more.  It was interesting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

IPW, I was going to start a similar thread.  I'm trying to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight and since I'm going to be done with breastmilk next week, I really want to get the job done and I have no excuse not to. I have about 5lbs to go, but I can hardly believe that because my stomach seems enormous and disgusting.  I've always wondered how some women can walk around with those rolls of fat/skin on their stomach and now I realize that they probably had babies and don't even realize what they look like.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I feel like I'm doomed!  It's really just my stomach - everything else is fine :(

BTW, as far as diet, if I had the willpower, I'd totally have kept up with the low carb GD diet.  It also emphasizes snacking often so you never really get hungry and thus never spike your blood sugar.  Unfortunately, this type of eating does not come naturally to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Trouble, you are not alone with the pouch.  My problem pouch unfortunately recently came back... but I didn't recently have a baby to blame it on.  Somehow I lost my baby weight super fast, and then some (probably the bfing). I certainly wasn't toned, but I just don't recall that "roll" that seems to be present now.  I don't want to take any pills, and those kind of diets (i.e. drink only smoothies) seem to work best for those needing to lose 30+ lbs.  Like you, I'd love somewhere between 5-10.  And something that is sustainable, and enjoyable, sorta.

Poppy, I'll look into the WW idea.  I like the thought of entering it and letting the computer do it for me.  Do they also suggest meals for you?  This would so happen to me, I'd enter breakfast and lunch and it would spit out "OVERDRAWN... you may not have dinner!" :-)  And I just looked and my insurance does a $150 back for WW, similar to the fitness benefit.  Huhm... worth checking out for sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I, too, have the belly situation.  I'm technically at pre-preg weight, but my stomach sticks out more than before.  I'd also like to lose 5-10 pounds, but I think for me I'd rather try and get more/better exercise so I'll feel better.  I've also done Pilates a few times lately and it's helping me with the belly - the fat and looseness is still there, but it's getting easier to suck it in.  :)

I did the WW online several years ago.  I definitely lost weight, but for me it wasn't sustainable just in terms of taking the time / conscientiousness to fill everything in online.  Particularly because it was hard to figure out quantities of things that I cooked.  But it was a great kick start and it helped me be more conscious of portion sizes.

ETA: thanks for the cereal bar suggestions for DD!  I will check those out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NH-Sox-Fan. Show NH-Sox-Fan's posts

Hello!  I don't have kids, so I usually just lurk, but I would recommend Sparkpeople.com for a weightloss website.  It's free and the site is very easy to use.  You can track your food and workouts and also get exercise videos, recipes, other inspiration and information.  

I use the site and have lost about 8 pounds so far.  It's amazing what having a little more information about food and exercise can do.  Check it out or let me know if you have questions about it.

Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I had to stay in the hospital and get Lasik (which is a drug that reduces fluid retention). They emptied 7 liters (yes, 7) and I now weigh less than I did before pregnancy, but I still want to lose weight. I am hoping lots of walks and healthy eating will do the trick :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - LOL, that definitely happened to me.  (The "overdrawn")  Luckily, they give you "flex" points that make up for that. :) Like Medford said, it can be a pain to maintain if you don't like being on the computer all the time and the portions can be hard to figure out, but I found that after a while I sort of internalized what was an ok daily diet and didn't always go by the exact numbers all the time, and that still worked (until I gave up and went off the wagon completely... i.e., got pregnant again).  I also did South Beach back before ever being pregnant, and that worked really well for me as well (just harder at first to give so much up).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

[QUOTE] CT - thanks for all of your thoughts. We seriously need to deal with the pacifier too.  I am much more concerned about that than the bottle.  DD suddenly seems to want it in her mouth all the time.  She's even learned to say, "i NEED it!!" when I say, "You don't need that right now!"  She talks around it, drives us crazy.  DH and I are always taking it away, but the grandmothers let her have it constantly.  I only really noticed that she's relying on it more over the past couple of weeks.  My question is: should we start the new routine of just having paci for bedtimes and maybe car now, with this baby arriving in a week?  Or should we wait? Does it matter?
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Two thoughts:
    1. one week before your 2nd baby comes, do you want to start something new?  2.  on the other hand you aren't going to want to start anything in the next few months with a newborn, so perhaps you can just rip off the bandaid now and get it over with. 

I'm not a parent, I have no idea about that.  I think I'd do the first, and deal with it now vs. in 3 more months once you come out of the newborn fog, but you have to get your parents' and his parents' buy in if they are going to be with your daughter while you are focusing on baby.  But those are the only places she should "need" her paci - and honestly, I'd do it only in the crib, not in the carseat also, because why does she need it there?   You can chat with her, she can read a book, listen to music, etc. sing to baby brother (or sister) to keep him/her from crying, but none of that needs a pacifier....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CT - I think I tend to be in agreement.  We should just do it now.  Especially where she's really amped up the use recently.

Anyone have any good tactics for convincing DH that an idea is a good one, if he's not sure he's in agreement?  After all, he doesn't have all of you to bounce ideas off of...  Not even just talking about the pacifier stuff (he's actually in agreement about that) but abuot other parenting things.  Especially having all of you on these forums, I have a chance to mull things over and get opinions, and that helps me form my own opinion.  With him, he hears my idea and makes a quick decision about whether or not he agrees, which to me is not necessarily the best way to make up your mind. Have any of you ever sent your DH to these boards to read up on stuff?  Or have any other tactics?  Not that I'm trying to brainwash him, I would just like to know he's mulled something over and not just made a snap decision, because I think sometimes those are based on his mood in the moment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Summer, my OB asked me about BC at my PP check up. It hadn't even crossed my mind since having DD was BC enough at the time.
    Posted by Liv22[/QUOTE]

Yep I was prepared for that...I know that I will be going back on the pill I was on before DD came along. She herself is BC enough too, but I'm not taking any risks on #2 coming before we are ready Yell

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

poppy, I feel your pain, but the fact is, I think (at least in my experience), that people's decision making style is a part of their personality. It can be tempered, but not changed entirely. If he makes decisions that way, there's probably not much you can do about it. On the other hand, you do deserve to feel you are being truly listened to, not dismissed out of hand because of his style. Maybe you can ask him to go through the motions of putting off giving you his opinion for 3 days after you broach the subject even if he knows immediately what he wants to say about it. Before the 3 days begins, ask him to summarize the issue as he sees it, but not give a conclusion, so you can ensure he understands the issue itself. In those three days he will not be able to HELP it creeping into his thoughts, and IF he does change his mind from his initial gut response (his natural way of making decisions) sometime within those three days, he'll never have to admit it because the rules are that he can't tell you his gut reaction at the time.. He mulls it over, gets to keep his snap decision making style (at least as far as it looks to everyone else), and you get heard. ETA: At the end of the three days, don't put him on the spot and ask him if he's thought about it. His style that he needs to preserve to save face is that he hasn't, but if he has he either has to lie to defend his "old" way of doing it or fess up and humiliate himself. Just bring it up, again, 3 days later and ask him his opinion and discuss it from there. My DH and I read books aloud to each other, and one we are getting a LOT out of right now is "Are You Really LIstening?" I can't make links on the iPad, but you can search on it in Amazon if you're interested.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I'm with everyone on the lamenting about losing weight and getting back into shape...a week after I had DD I was down 20lbs. That was a great boost to my confidence and I thought "that was easy!". However 6 weeks later I feel like a gelatinous whale even more than ever. I've always been overweight so it's a constant struggle. It's awful that after delivery I was always ravenous and ate more than I did (portion wise) while PG. Even more awful- I never BF'ed, so I didn't have that going for me....now I've plateaued and seriously need to do something. I desperately want to wear my wedding rings again, and at this rate I'll have to wait until Christmas!

I second the suggestions for WW. I lost about 22 lbs on it a few years ago. It crept back on, but when I stuck with it, it worked. I've tried tracking my food intake a couple times since DD was born, but I just can't do it consistently.

I thought about joining a gym, but realized it'd be so hard to make the time to do. We have a treadmill and some hand weights, so I suppose I'll be dusting those off very soon. In fact I'm heading to Kohl's with coupons in hand this afternoon, in search of some new workout clothes and a pair of walking sneakers. Maybe that will motivate me.

Sections
Shortcuts