August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

So many posts to read!
    Sippy cups: DD had been off sippy cups and onto a big girl cup or a water bottle for trips to the zoo, other places where spilling is an issue.  I didn't throw out the sippy cups because I'm frugal/lazy so when the baby was born they were still there.  Then while other people (my mum and DH) were watching her while I was in the hospital, they didn't know (well, DH should have known but whatever) well enough to say no to sippy cup requests.  As I emerge from a sleep-deprived haze at 7 weeks I realize that she's completely regressed to sippy cups all the time.  It's our fault -- they are just sooooo easy.  Now that the new-baby blur has worn off we'll end the cup thing.

hearing aids: Lily, I heard them talking about that bill on NPR and thought of you.

Fatness: Smaller plates work wonders, as long as you have the self-control to only eat one serving. When filling the plate, make sure AT LEAST half of the plate is full of vegetables (potatoes don't count) before you put anything else onto it.  It's the best time of year to lose weight--all the produce is peak and delicious.  Just eat fruits and veggies all day.  I am a big fan of substituting legumes as a protein at a meal instead of meat at least 2 or 3 times a week.  Greek yogurt is great.  Don't drink your calories.    Exercise was easy after my first because I just went on long walks iwth the stroller.  I'm ahving trouble with this this time around because DD#1 is NOT a morning person.  Getting her out of the house before it gets way too hot to be walking around with the baby is a struggle.  I"m doing that "100 pushups challenge" as well as lots of crunches but it's not the same as getting a walk in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I'm with you all on the weight loss. Summer, the first 15 for me were easy but since it's been very slow. I technically only have 10 to go to pre pregnancy weight but I'd really like to lose 15 or 20. I'm 5'5 and my ideal is around 130 (I'd love 125 but I only ever managed that when I was 25 and working a horribly stressful job that made me not want to eat during the day :). I did the poor woman's Weight Watchers (borrowed my roommates guidebook and counted my own calories) in my early 20s and lost about 35 lbs. it was the first thing since I became overweight in my teens that ever worked. I'm doing the same thing right now, just not being quite so strict and counting in my head rather than tracking. I'm also working out about 4x a week: Walking/running with the stroller, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and the occasional Baby Boot Camp class (check them out at babybootcamp.com -- they have classes around greater Boston, it's a good, fun workout, and you can bring your LO and hang out with other moms). I've probably been losing 1/2 lb a week or a bit less, which made me impatient before but I've contented myself with the progress. FWIW, when I posted about weight here a few months ago, several people said they didn't lose the last 10 until,they stopped bfing and several friends have confirmed it. I know the calories in/calories out equation, but bfing seems to affect metabolism weirdly. I'm hoping it's true for me. I stopped pumping and DS just nurses a little in the morning now. I think we'll probably be done completely around 6 mos when I start my new job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I second Lissa on smaller plates. Unless we're eating something messy that requires extra surface, DH and I always eat dinner off our small lunch plates. It really helps to feel like you're getting a bigger portion than you are. Also, being home with DS, I find it easy to do absentminded eating. While it's good to have fruit or crackers around if he's really making it impossible to get a meal in and I'm starving, I've had to start asking myself "Do you REALLY need that?" before I put something in my mouth. It amazes me how often I catch myself going for something just because I'm walking by, and those calories really add up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I am also feeling the fatness!  Gross!  I have lost 25 so far with out doing anything but have more to go.  I am hoping that after my 6 week Post pardum appt that I can start to work out again even if its just working out at home.  I also 2nd WW.  It really worked for me a couple of years ago.  Writing down everything you eat makes you more aware of what you are putting your your mouth.  And that includes what you are drinking.  I hate my body but I cant seem to motiative myself to get started.  I also find myself hungrier and eating more now that I am home with the baby and not working.  UGH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I think WW is great for the support that you also get, but if you just wanted an easy way to track, I've had really good luck with an app called "Lose it!"  Very intuitive/easy to use, and available for both iphone/ipad and droid.  It has lots of foods already loaded, but can be a pain the first week or so as you load all your recipes/custom foods.  But, once loaded it becomes a no brainer to track what you are eating.  Also, because it is on your phone, it is easy to track as you go vs. having to record it at night etc.  I have found that I can strickly track for 1-2 weeks and re-regulate what I am eating.  Once back on track I am pretty good about sticking to portion size, healthy foods, etc.  It is hard with BF because there is a very fine balance between not enough and too much.  That said... the first 6-8 weeks after DD was born I was eating WAY too much.  I only gained 30lbs, but at 6 weeks had only lost 10 (and 7lb was DD).  It seems that as my body was shedding baby weight, I was packing on weight from absentminded eating. My biggest issue was drinking my calories. I was buying this pretty awesome chocolate soy milk and was drinking 1000-1500 calories a day because I would have a glass at 3am when I was up with her, another for breakfast, and usually a few more through out the day as "quick snacks".  I know myself, and I know I get in trouble when drinking my calories, but that just did not compute in the newborn haze.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I hear you all about the extra weight. I put on 40 lbs while pregnant and have 17 left to lose. I would like to start working out but I'm worried it will affect my supply. How do I safely add in working out? Also, a couple of sleep questions. We've been trying to get DS (2 months old tomorrow) to bed earlier and some nights are great and others, like last night, are miserable. He seems to still want to stay up late even though everything I've read says he should be going to bed earlier. It has me totally stressed out. Do I just keep trying? Another issue we've run into is he screams if put down in his pack 'n play. He slept in his bouncer from week 1- 5 and was in his pack n play for weeks 6 - 7 but now is back in the bouncer because it's the only place he'll sleep without crying. Any reason I need to be concerned? Should I be pushing the pack n play? We have a pedi appointment on Tuesday so I will ask all of this then but would like your input. Finally, he's going through a little mommy phase. In the afternoon and evening I'm the only one who can comfort him and all he wants to do is snuggle and sleep on my shoulder. I'm feeling bad for DH because he tries so hard to comfort him. I assume this is just a phase, do we just wait it out? Thanks in advance, I feel like a scattered stress case right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I hear you all about the extra weight. I put on 40 lbs while pregnant and have 17 left to lose. I would like to start working out but I'm worried it will affect my supply. How do I safely add in working out? Also, a couple of sleep questions. We've been trying to get DS (2 months old tomorrow) to bed earlier and some nights are great and others, like last night, are miserable. He seems to still want to stay up late even though everything I've read says he should be going to bed earlier. It has me totally stressed out. Do I just keep trying? Another issue we've run into is he screams if put down in his pack 'n play. He slept in his bouncer from week 1- 5 and was in his pack n play for weeks 6 - 7 but now is back in the bouncer because it's the only place he'll sleep without crying. Any reason I need to be concerned? Should I be pushing the pack n play? We have a pedi appointment on Tuesday so I will ask all of this then but would like your input. Finally, he's going through a little mommy phase. In the afternoon and evening I'm the only one who can comfort him and all he wants to do is snuggle and sleep on my shoulder. I'm feeling bad for DH because he tries so hard to comfort him. I assume this is just a phase, do we just wait it out? Thanks in advance, I feel like a scattered stress case right now.
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

As far as I've heard/read- 8 weeks is still early to be forming real sleep habits, but it certainly couldn't hurt to get something more solid established as far as where he sleeps. Maybe try the pack&play for naps during the day, to get him used to it?

Also the bed time issue- maybe he stays up because he's overtired? I find that my DD has her witching hours from about 6-8pm and then really, she "goes to bed" right after that once she's in her PJs and swaddled. Granted, she sleeps in her rock&play in the living room with us, but she's out cold at that time each night and sleeps pretty solidly until about 3-4am. DH changes/feeds her around 10pm, but she stays mostly asleep or falls back asleep easily and he moves her to the pack&play in our room. Maybe see if your DS has a fussy time at an earlier hour than when you put him to bed and try making that his new bedtime?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

So much to catch up on!  We were away last week and I swear y'all were reading my mind about things I wanted to post (i.e. weight loss and straw cups).  I got down to lower than pre-pregnancy without much effort (sorry), but 3 months after stopping BFing, it is creeping back on, especially in the tummy.  Even though the numbers have been good, the tummy has always been an issue.  It's time to watch what I eat and exercise - boooo!

In the past, I've had luck with WW, so I will start watching portions and eating more veggies... and NOT eating ice cream every night.  I also have an elliptical machine and some small weights that have worked well in the past, so hopefully they will again.  For the wedding, I was really focused on toning my arms, but now I'd also like to work on legs and butt.

Some of you expressed concern over your LOs drinking enough milk.  How many oz did your pedi recommend?  I think there is a wide variety - my pedi said 12-16 oz, but a friend who goes to the same practice was told something like 32 oz by a different NP. 
    DD has been soley on sippy cups since 14 months.  At home, she gets ~4 oz w/ meals, but I think daycare gives her more.  She was doing 2 BF and 3 bottles.  Each week, we switched one bottle to a sippy w/milk and then eliminated BFing as well.  In general, I'm a rip off the bandaid kinda gal and wanted to move on from the bottles.

We almost always give DD drinks in her high chair.  The high chair practice/rule works well for us.  It never mattered if her sippies leaked (take n toss w/spout) because she only drinks in her chair, except for when she doesn't finish her snack water or it's extra hot.  I'd like to switch to sippies with straws.  I went to buy some a while ago and was just so overwhelmed with all the options.  She loves drinking out of big girl cups or water bottles, so maybe we can make the transition sooner rather than later, but I shouldn't get ahead of myself!

I mentioned we just got back from vacation.  We had such a good time at a lake with the whole fam!  Plus I got to spend 10 days straight with DD.  This post is getting WAY too long, but you would not believe how much DD changed in that one week!!  She started saying so many things!!  She already said yes and no, but seems to be understanding so much more now.  She also learned to say: where is he?, outside, inside, boo boo, p00p (which means p00py and/or wet diapers), baby, up.

It's funny all this talk of milk and sippies.  My neice who is a few weeks younger was on vaca with us and her parents handle the food/milk/sippy situation so differently.  She was constantly walking around with food and drinks... and they wonder why she doesn't eat much at meals.  (I couldn't help noticing because I paid the security deposit and she kept spilling on the rugs!)  On top of the milk with (and in between) meals, they give her 2 bottles of milk per day.  It seemed like so much to me... But parenting is interesting that way - there isn't always right and wrong, just different.  I hated to see them worried about her intake when it seemed like she was getting enough to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks to those of you who replied a while ago about the transition to one nap.  During vaca, DD (and her cousin) would nap from about 9:30 to 11:30 and then again from like 4-5:00.  I didn't like doing the late nap, but she was staying up later so it worked out.  Anyway, it seemed to work fine, but then it caught up to her and she wouldn't do the late nap on Fri and Sat.  On Sunday, we pushed the nap to 12:30 and that seemed to work out OK.  I'll just keep rolling with it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Have any of your babies had days where they don't eat much at all? DD has been sleeping most of the day and has only had about 6-7oz since this morning. She isn't fussy, and has no temp, so I am wondering what else could be going on.

Also, how much do 4 weeks old typically sleep? I know I shouldn't complain, but she SLEEPS A LOT. It seems like she is really only awake to eat, and sometimes from 9-11pm.

Anyway, any advice, own experiences would be great!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Have any of your babies had days where they don't eat much at all? DD has been sleeping most of the day and has only had about 6-7oz since this morning. She isn't fussy, and has no temp, so I am wondering what else could be going on. Also, how much do 4 weeks old typically sleep? I know I shouldn't complain, but she SLEEPS A LOT. It seems like she is really only awake to eat, and sometimes from 9-11pm. Anyway, any advice, own experiences would be great!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

My DD has had days like that, mostly in the past week or so. She was up to 4oz at every feeding, then last Wed-Thur she only had 1.5-2oz for a few feedings. I think it may have been related to her refluz issues because a day or so after she started on Zantac, she's mostly evened out to 3oz each feeding. I think she had gone up to 4 in an effort to ease her reflux pain :( and overeating probably made it worse.

As far as sleeping, at 6w3d my DD still sleeps most of the day. If I recall, she slept most of the day at 4 weeks too. If your LO was more active but is now sleeping more, she could also be going through a growth spurt possibly. Babies grow in their sleep so the more she sleeps, the more she grows!

I find that once things seem to get consistent, they change. I suppose that's how parenting is supposed to be and will be forever...lol...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, thanks for the imput, I feel better now. Who knew they grew in their sleep!!

We just had our first blow out....holy moly, had to go right to the tub!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Summer, thanks for the imput, I feel better now. Who knew they grew in their sleep!! We just had our first blow out....holy moly, had to go right to the tub!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous...well obviously not really, but DD hasn't pooped since Sat (she's FF) so I'm worried she's constipated and will either have an enormous disaster  tomorrow or I'll have to call the pedi...again...

Totally unrelated question for other new moms or STMs whom this applies to- when were you able to wear your wedding rings again? I try mine on every day and so far I can at least get them over the knuckle, but they're still so tight my finger will be purple if I leave them on for any amount of time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, my DD is also FF. She has huge poops at night, but in The Happiest Baby on the Block book, the author said the longest he has seen a baby go without p00ping is 21 days!!!!!!

My rings fit about a week after birth. They get super tight in the hot weather, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, I hope you won't force the rings to keep trying them and get them honestly stuck. My ex was a paramedic...I've heard stories. Anyway, my rings are very tight right now from the heat and humidity (no weight gain or hormonal thing going on). In fact, they are off right now and I generally wear them all the time. Too. Tight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - it took me two weeks to get my rings back on. I hadn't worn them for the last month and a half while pregnant so it took me a little while to get use to them again. I would try each day and then when I got uncomfortable put them on my necklace. After a week or two I could wear them all day. Thanks for the responses about sleep. I've been trying to follow Weissbluth's method of not keeping the baby awake longer than 2 hours. I tried to put DS down at 7 last night but he slept for 30 minutes and then woke up all smiles. I just don't think he's tired at that time. I got him to bed at 9 and he slept until 4 am so I'll take it. I got him down at 9 again tonight so hopefully this is a trend that continues. This is a schedule I can live with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I would give anything for 9-4!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Trouble -- congrats, and major kudos to you for going the whole year, especially since you had a harder time with DD. I'm already worried that my difficulty bfing DS will affect my confidence in it if/when we have #2. Fram, glad vacation went so well, and GL with the naps! Liz, that sounds totally normal. DS was always very awake, but I have friends with even older kids who slept that much, and DS definitely had low eating days before he started regulating his intake (or I did -- it was some give and take there). Those of you with babies eating solids, I'm curious what your strategies are in terms of number of feedings, amounts, etc. I've been following the pedi's advice pretty closely, doing 2 "meals" of about 2 oz each (I mostly make my own, so 2 cubes of puréed frozen stuff) but DS is a fiend and definitely seems to want more. We generally do,a bottle after, so he's satiated, but I'm wondering if I should add a 3rd meal, increase the amounts, etc. I'm not worrying, but i feel like I'm just winging this (other than following the rules about introducing new foods, etc.). Also, this is random, but does anyone feed their LO avocado? I followed wholesomebabyfood.com and cut mine up and freeze it

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Sorry, iPad froze. So, I freeze avocado slices and thaw them when I want to feed them to DS, but as avocado is wont to do, the slices get brown and icky looking. I know it's not harmful, but I still somehow don't like feeding it to him like that. I can't always do fresh avocado, because I love it and I'd eat all the rest (see: losing the last 10 baby pounds :))

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc, you might do better if you move bedtime up gradually. That's what I did with DS, starting from I don't know how late and eventually getting to 7 p.m. by 3 mos or so. I only moved it 15 mins or so at a time, so,I wasn't throwing off any sort of routine he'd developed of being awake at a particular time. Funny, now I'm trying to do the opposite to,get him to stay awake longer during the day and consolidate naps -- moving nap time back 15 mins or so a day (not having much success with that one...too much whining!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks Arcain, that sounds doable. The last two bedtimes have been perfect, no crying or fussing, a bottle, snuggle, music and bed (well, bouncer but whatever). Congrats trouble! I'm mostly pumping (attempting to bf for the early am feeding but DS isn't really having it) and I would love to make it to one year but that already seems so daunting. Good for you! Also happy birthday to your little man. How do other EP'ers handle the middle of the night feeds? I don't want to have to pump at that time which is why I try to bf but DS is really fighting me on that. I'm not sure I will be able to keep it up much longer. I guess I might have to pump then which will make my wake up so much longer. Ugh Welcome back Fram. 11 straight days with your DD sounds wonderful. IPW - DH is actually home with me this summer (he's a school teacher) so luckily we split duties during the day but it seems in be late afternoon when DS just wants to be held and snuggled by me. I'm not complaining at this point, I love it, but I do feel bad for DH when it happens. Finally, DS has his 2 month appointment tomorrow and has to get 2 shots. I'm already dreading it, he let's out one of the saddest cries.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Happy Birthday Baby Trouble!  I bet a year went by as fast for you as it did for us.  DS just started holding his bottle about a month ago.  As he got better with the sippy and realized he had to tilt his head back and arms up to get anything out of it he started holding his own bottle. 

Re Baby weight.  I felt really good after baby #1 was born.  I went back to pre pregnancy weight pretty quickly although, the weight shifted around and was in places it was not before.  After baby #2, no such luck.  I have always carried my extra weight in my thighs and butt but now I have a belly.  I actually think I might be about 5 lbs off from where i started but my body is a totally different shape now.    I dont feel very good about my body but I dont help my cause because I dont work out.   Maybe if I could get my butt to the gym I could get myselft back into some kind of shape. 

AFM. No such luck getting DS off the morning bottle. I am just going to give it a few more weeks even though I know I am going to kick my myself for doing it.  If that is his only bottle right now at 13 months I am happy with that.  Last week DD was away for the week with my dad and step mother.   I really hate to admit but it was a nice break from her and I got to spend a lot of one on one time with DS.  at 3 1/2 DD is really her own person now and demands a lot.  I did miss her terribly and was so happy to see her when she came home. 

I am also feeling like a really bad parent becasue I should be sending DD to preschool in Sept.  She goes to a babysitter 2 days a week and I wanted to send her to preschool the other 3 days in the morning.  After doing some number crunching I just dont think we can afford it right now.  It is a lot of money to send 2 kids to a babysitter and 1 to preschool.    I know I def need to send her next year.  I know most of you have babies, but when did the parents with older children start sending there kids to preschool, if at all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Quad - DD1 is starting preschool in September.  She just turned 4.  Since I don't have any daycare cost due to family daycare, I had struggled with the benefit vs. cost angle.  In the end I decided that getting DD1 exposed to the rhythm of school, listening to adults who aren't family and playing with a group of kids her age was worth the $100 a month for 2 mornings a week.  But you do know that kids don't have to go to preschool right?  It's not a pre-req of Kindergarten.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Trouble - happy birthday to baby Trouble and CONGRATS on a year of pumping.  Impressive!

Quad - I wouldn't feel bad about preschool.  Are there other kids at the babysitter?  It's really about socializing and a little bit about getting into a routine/structure.  You're certainly not alone.  Does your town have any public preschool?  Some of the towns around us seem to have it, but they don't guarantee enough spots for all kids.  So you have to sign up and then there's a lottery system.  Anyway, might be worthwhile calling your school department and asking.  Might be too late for this year but could work next year if she's still too young for kindergarten?  And there's always the chance they have something for this year.

Arcain - DD loved avocado but I never froze it.  Have you tried freezing it in direct contact with plastic wrap, like with the wrap pressed down along the surface?  That sometimes works in the fridge.  But yeah, if it tastes okay I think it's still fine for her to eat, even if it looks icky.  And yeah, I ate a lot of avocado.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Yes, I know they dont have to go to preschool but I think it is the right thing to do for the reasons you mentioned above.  Getting into a routine, listening to other adults etc.  Since she does get watched weekly by non family members I know she does already have a routine, etc at the babysitter.   $100 a month???? The ones I looked at where closer to $300 a month for 3 mornings a week.  On top of the $200 a week I already spend at the babysitter for both kids. 

I dont have the option of replacing the babysitter with preschool because every preschool I have looked at do not have long enough hours for me when I go into work on Tues and Thursday. I WFH mon, wed and fri so I was going to send her the mornings I was home. It will also give me a break to work if she is gone for the mornings.