August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

Summer - I've had a few friends who needed to get their rings resized after pregnancy.  With my first, I was able to wear my ring throughout, but this time I had to take them off a few months ago and am also wondering if they'll ever fit again.

Fram - so great you got to spend so many consecutive days with DD!  Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

That is the cost after a $150 deposit for the public preschool in our town.  The total cost is $950.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think freezing avocado will change the texture making it more mushy when it thaws. However, if you have an abundance of them, I find they practically stop ripening if you put them in the fridge. They last a long time that way, uncut.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Quad - We are paying about 100/week for preschool.  Not sure if you have  Merry Deb near you but they have extended hours for no additional cost.  DD will be starting in the fall and going from about 8:30-5.  I had the same issue with the preschool hours, I only found 2 preschools in my area (that were reasonably priced) that had full day options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks KT, the exteneded hours is what is the killer.  If I decided to elimante the babysitter and send her to preschool on Tues and Thursday she would go from 8-4.  I think the class is from 9-1 so the other hours are extended.  One issue with that is I would have to depend on my dad to take her and my step mom to pick her up every day because DH and I will be at work. I am not sure I want to put that on them.   In addition, sending her the extra hours each week, equals the same price I pay the babysitter each week so why wouldnt I keep sending her to the sitter and then to preschool.  Its all too confusing.  She will have 2 yrs from Sept till Kindergarden.    It seems as though I will probably skip this year and send her next September.  I am not sure if there is even space available for her in Sept.     I just feel guilty.  Her BF at the sitter is leaving to go preschool full time.  There will be one other boy her age and everyone else that is there is younger. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

So much to catch up on!

Sippy cups: DS still uses them...bad of me I know. He's fine and only has open cups while eating. but after dinner in our night time routine he still gets a sippy of milk before bedtime. But I do have these in deigo http://www.munchkin.com/dora-explorer-10-oz-re-usable-straw-cups and they are great-DS does chew the straws up, but I plu in a regular bendy straw that I toss after and it works fine. Minimal spillage. DD loves them too! we just went away so I took a few of them and she'll use them instead of a sippy no problem. though we don't let her hold them...but she's only 10 months...

weight loss: yeah, I never lost those last 15 lbs from DS...but I managed to get back to pre-DD weight rather quickly-haven't budged below though. But I'm a stress eater and illnesses and work stress make me eat. So I'll get down a lb or two, some stress will happen and I'll eat those pounds back on. I'm trying to get back to the gym regularly and eat less. but it's hard!  I had to get my rings resized-I went up a whole ring size with DD and even getting back to my pre-preg weight they still didn't fit! It was worth the money just to resize them so I can wear them again.

Preschool-DS has a preschool in his day care so he started there when he was 3 years old. Though I've posted the problems about it recently we are looking into options. I found one preschool that would be convenient to where we work/live but from Sept-June 9-2:30 would cost us $22,000 for the year! then we would still need additional care for the time before and after-then summer camps! Crazy! Dh and I both make good $$ in our jobs-how to people afford it?

AFM: we went to Story Land for a quick get away last week. It was so much fun! I highly recommend it. it seems pricy at almost $30pp-kids over 3 have to pay too! But DS could go on every ride! DD could go on a bunch too in our laps. We just had a blast-spent over 7 hours there and didn't do the whole park.

We are all suffering from the nasty summer cold going around. DD has it particularly bad. Coughing so much she's throwing up, fever of 103.5. though why is when you bring the baby to the doctor they look good for those 10 minutes, then go south again the second you get into the car? The doctor wanted to see DD due to her fever and the fact she just got off antibiotics 5 days prior. and his response was "This is the best looking sick baby I've seen!" No fever in the office. But once we got home she was a hot potato again and throwing up. sigh. Up for an hour solid last night screaming absolutely unconsolable until in desperation I sang "if you're happy and you know it" when she stopped, looked at me like I was crazy for singing the song (it was night time after all!) then started to clap her hands and dance. I stopped she started screaming again. Weird. She's not a screamer/cryer at all! So now I'm back to work after taking 5 days off, sleep deprived, sick with a cold, wicked headache and a boss whose is driving me bonkers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Try and let it go for this year and then think about it again late winter.  You will make yourself crazy over it.  I honestly gave myself anxiety over making it work and affordability.

If you feel like she needs more you could buy the preschool activity books and ask the sitter to do a worksheet or two with her each day in addition to doing them at home.  Also, the preschool director said a lot of what they work on for the 3yr age group are social skills, waiting in line, becoming more independent (hanging their coat, picking snacks from their bags, potty alone, etc).  Those are all things that you could totally do outside of preschool!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Poor DH - He just called me in tears from the daycare parking lot after DD had a meltdown at dropoff.  This is probably her 5th full day at daycare (goes 2x per week) and every other dropoff has been fine!  So he was totally unprepared for meltdown today.  Poor guy! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quad, I can't offer much, but just about the piece of the situation you mentioned regarding your dad and step-mom. It's kind and thoughtful to think of their feelings and needs, but at the same time you can't put anything on them that they don't want to accept. People tend to get offended if they find out too late that they were never given the opporunity to decide for themeslves what they'd want to do. I don't think it would be pushy or assumptive to merely float the idea for their consideration. They might not want to, but maybe they'd be thrilled for the extra built in time with their granddaughter every day. Of course, there are many other facets to the issue, but if you ask them about this part of it it will be one part of the whole picture you have a definite answer about and can work with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

KT - Glad you enjoyed Story Land!  We debated going there or Santa's Village w/DD (17 months), but decided she has just as much fun with a pot and a spoon lol.  We'll definitely go later though.  The whole fam ended up going to Clark's Trading Post last week.  We really enjoyed it.  It's not quite an amusement park, but for $19 per adult and free for kids under 3 it was a great deal.  It includes a train ride, bear show, acrobat show, bumper boats, segway ride, climbing wall, and a couple other little things.  DD seems to have a pretty good attention span and was actually watching the acrobats. 

Uggg so I am not imagining this cold I seem to be developing since Saturday!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Fram-we debated going to Clarks on our way home-but passed since DD was getting sick.

I set DS up with his safari binoculars in the car and told him to watch out for moose and deer on the side of the road. He included bears in his search. Thankfully there were plenty of moose statues he could claim he saw. I actually saw a deer on rt 3 in Billerica of all places!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks KT.  I def dont want to get worked up about it.  The babysitter actually does some preschool activities with them, like practicing there letters and numbers and writing there name.   I do that at home to.   When I talked to the preschool they also said the first year, (3 yr old progam) is a lot of socialization, and routines which DD already has.  Many kids who go to that program it is the first time there children are away from there parents.

Kar- Your right, if they did not want to do it, they wouldnt.  I know they would love to spend one on one time with her.  It is only two days a week.  I think I feel bad that I would never drop her off or pick her up.  I picture her running over to me after school, with her back back on and the project she did for the day and a big smile on her face :-) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Aw, quad, hugs. But, consider that you'd also miss the less than happy moments invariably involved in the pickup and drop off scene, and she'll be thrilled to see you and show you her projects and tell her stories of the day whenever your routine makes it possible. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather :) I have heard such great things about Storyland, can't wait to bring DD there someday! Fram, so nice to have such a long vacation, that is why I love the summer time!

KAM, I am sorry about your families cold! I used to get summer colds all the time, they are the worst. I hope your LO feels better soon!

Interesting discussion on sippy cups. I have a friend whose 7 month old drinks from a cup and she is doing baby-led weaning with him. So he never had purees or rice/oatmeal cereal. He literally eats what his parents eat, very interesting.

AFM, DD will be 4 weeks on Thursday, and I can not believe how much she has changed in that little amount of time. This morning she was really into her playmat and so focused! She does tummy-time but can only tolerate it for about a minute at this point. She is starting to half smile, so I am hoping a real smile comes along any day now.

She is also getting bigger, and I can tell by my arm hurting! I have no idea what she weighs; I am hoping almost 8lbs by now.

Two of my friends babies are going to be 1 in a couple of weeks and they both keep telling me it goes by so fast. I still can't wait for DD to sit up and interact with us, that will be so rewarding.

I find it funny (kind of) that the second I go to get food or clean bottles, etc., DD starts fussing. This morning I successfully made an english muffin and buttered it with one hand!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

i'm short on time but here is what I have...

quad- It may not be cheaper, but our plan is to leave our child in the daycare center where he is (and DD will go) because their programming for 3, 4, and 5 year olds is "preschool." And, since they are a daycare, they have the extended hours built in already.  the one we are at is affiliated with my work, but even the kindercare and bright horizon type chains will go through their pre-reading programs and curriculum with you if you ask. 

poppy- so sorry that happened to DH. I know how rough it can be.

I froze advacado and it seemed fine- you have to freeze it right after you mash it up, and it will stay green- turns brown during defrosting process, but the texture always seemed fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks for the avocado advice. DS had some defrosted for breakfast today and the color wasn't too off-putting. It's amazing how he's taken to solids in the last week. We started slow after his 4 mo appt (pedi is big on starting them early) and for a couple weeks he seemed to like them but didn't get the whole concept of opening his mouth. This week, he's like a very hungry baby bird. I can't get the spoon back to the dish before he's opening his mouth wide and practically lunging at me. He's so cute, too. We feed him in the bumbo and don't use it for much else, so he now has a Pavlovian response: as soon as I plop him in there he starts drooling and smacking his lips. Quad, I can't offer advice, but good luck with your decision. I am so not looking forward to dealing with $ questions like that, and I know we will once we have two especially. Liz, that's so cool that you're seeing changes already. DS smiled around 5 weeks so if you're seeing glimmers I bet your DD will be soon. Hopefully you get some good ones...DS only smiled at DH for like 2 weeks, but now Mama gets the best ones :). I remember feeling exactly how you do, wanting more interaction, etc. it felt like it came slowly for me, but now I can barely remember what it was like before DS was smiling and laughing. That must be what your friends mean. I'm curious about your friend doing baby led weaning. I didn't even learn about that until after DS started solids, and I don't know much about it

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Seriously, iPad? I backspace once and you freeze? Argh. I was going to say, I'm curious what the philosophy behind baby led weaning is. Is it kind of let them go at their own pace? I feel slightly guilty I never even looked into it, but DS seems happy. It's funny, much as I intended to be one of those women who researches everything and is proactive in decisions about her kids, I find myself going more by what others are doing and what the pedi says. I guess it'd be different if something didn't work for DS...I definitely spent my share of time researching how to improve the bfing situation a few months back -- maybe I exhausted my proactivity then!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Adding to the Preschool discussion, we will do as Winter's family... leave DS (22mth) in his daycare as they start "discovery preschool" at 2ish, preschool at 3/4 and kindergarten at 5/6 (and DS is an Oct baby, so misses the age cutoff, so we have 5 more years of daycare if we go this route... ouch).  Daycare is way, way, WAY more expensive than the $100 a month or $300 a month for town based programs mentioned by Quad and DZ.  But at least for the next couple years, we have available to us the full use of their 6:30am-6pm hours as part of our fee ($13K/yr for 3 days a week).  Hopefully I'll have a bit more flexibility/WFH options, or ideally, part time options, once he enters 1st grade (in our town, 8:40am-3pm) so I can accomodate those hours without needing the extended days before and after school.  

Our town offers preschool starting at 3 yrs (by Sept 1).  I don't know the cost.  (K is free I believe).  But, Preschool is 9-11:30am OR 12:30-2:30 Tues-Fri only.  You couldn't even work Part time with that schedule, even if you signed them up for both morning and afternoon sessions.  Its a huge issue that, even 2 years before I could realisticially use these services, I already freak out about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Those are the hours at my kid's town preschool IPW. The three year olds go in the morning and the four year olds go in the afternoon. But our town preschool is intergrated - 40% special needs and 60% normal developing. They do have "all day" but only for kids with more severe special needs.
    My twins will be able to get their SLP services there. Otherwise I'd be looking elsewhere, because I think the hours are a little skimpy. I'd like more than 2 1/2 hours (2 hours by the time I do drop off and pick up) to run errands or have a doctor's appointment. And I'm dreading next year when they are four. What the heck am I going to do with them every morning until school starts?
    But as long as they are ready to be mainstreamed by kindergarten I'll just suck it up (and perhaps find a mother's helper!).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

My DD is the same age as IPW, and, like her son, is in daycare 3 days/week.  We're planning to stick with that routine for a while, as well, both because there is a MA-approved pre-school curriculum taught at the daycare and b/c of scheduling, etc. 

I have looked into switching her to a parochial school for pre-school, which would be in 2 years, based on the age cut-off, mostly so that she (and I) start to know people in our neighborhood.  But it opens up the Pandora's box of what to do during the summers and how extended day would work (they have a morning and a full-day option), and all of those logistics.  We'll have to see what my work situation is by then and what my parents (who watch her 2 days/week) would be willing to do (such as every afternoon for 2-3 hours instead of all day twice a week).  Too many logistics!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

All of you with babies born in late Sept/early Oct. whose kids are or will be in some form of daycare - how painful is it knowing we'll have to pay for a whole extra year of daycare before kindergarten is an option?!  I know it is what it is, and I'm actually glad she'll be one of the older kids (I was the youngest and hated it) but... OMG.  IPW, when you state the *yearly* fee, it really hits home how much this costs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Acrain, I really don't know much about it, but here is my friends blog where she goes into MAJOR detail about what it is....

http://lifewithlucablog.blogspot.com/2012/07/baby-led-weaning-our-experience.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-DD misses the cut off by 2 weeks! ugh. I've actually looked into private kindergarten. Have her in that for a year then put her in 1st grade. This is all dependent upon her readiness for it. If she's not ready to start kindergarten 2 weeks shy of her 5th birthday I'll hold off.

But the cost of day care after the 1/2 day kindergarten will probably be close to paying for a private kindergarten.

I was calling the super intendent of our schools before DD was even born to see if they had any wiggle room! And I've already got a list of camps going for when the kids are in school...that's how psycho I am about it.

Though it breaks my heart to have the kids in care constantly-I never did summer camps, so the thought of my kids needing to do it makes me sad. Though the benefits of me or DH working full time far out weight and drawbacks. Plus, this is all they will know so it won't be bad. Plus, camps actually sound like fun.

AFM: DD and I spent some time in the ER last night. She was having trouble breathing, so the doctors sent us off there. Of course by the time we got there the inhalers I had given her at home were working and she was a sweet playful baby when we got there. Not a sign of breathing problems at all. But we left with a different diagnoses than I ever expected, Hand Food and Mouth...she has some marbling of her palms of her hands and feet and they're calling that the rash. She's got no blisters at all. Thankfully she's as happy as can be today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

If you look at it this way, it's not really a whole extra year of paying for daycare... DD is a February baby, so she'll start K when she's ~5 years 7 months.  An October baby would start K the next year at ~5 years 11 months.  That's only 4 extra months of paying for daycare.  I hope that makes it sound a little bit better :o)

I need to talk to my daycare about what kind of activities/lessons she does with the older kids.  I know she teaches them colors, letters, etc.  I did ask about that kind of thing, but honestly didn't focus as much on it when looking for a daycare since it was a ways off.  DD has expressed interest in writing, so I think I should ask daycare to start involving her in that kind of thing? 

Does it seem odd to anyone that DD learned so many new words while she was home with us for 10 days?  It's probably just a coincidence, but it makes me wonder if anyone is talking to her all day at daycare!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

We're in the same boat with TWO September birthdays (and being in BPS where there is no wiggle room.) We will probably keep the boys at their current daycare for preschool until we go through the BPS lottery. If DS#1 doesn't get a reasonable placement in BPS, then we will look at our local Catholic school and probably move both boys at the same time. We need to consider the fact that DH does drop offs alone (and without a car, since we are a 1-car city family), so it's much easier having the boys in the same place. DH is from New Zealand and there all kids start kindergarten the day of their fifth birthday. Right now we are seeing all sorts of photos from our friends' kids first day of school along with the party shots.. I think that's a interesting and practical way of doing things, especially since the kindergarten curriculum is (or should be) flexible enough to allow kids to enter throughout the year. The daycare/preschool issue is less there too because the NZ government pays for the first 20 hours per week of any childcare costs for children--state-funded, private, in-home, nanny, etc. Remind me why we haven't moved there yet??

Sections
Shortcuts