August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

liz- that is totally kid dependent. goal is to not have them flail their arms and wake themselves up by accident. I think Happiest kid says 3 months.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Summer - I think a LOT of babies sleep with one arm outside the swaddle, so I wouldn't worry at all.  If she sleeps better in the swaddle, do it until she won't let you!! :o)
    We stopped around 5 months, when DD was rolling over onto her tummy.  She had been rolling sporadically for a while, but once it became a regular thing, we had to quit.  I was so anxious that she would stop sleeping through the night, but I don't think that happened.  So hard to remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

So summerbride, just swaddle her with one arm out!  Once they can roll over onto their tummies they shouldn't be swaddled with both arms in, because then they can't push their heads off the mattress if they are having trouble breathing, because their arms are trapped.  But some people keep swaddling with both arms out for a little while.  Then they move to a sleep sack, or just no blanket. 

And babies will adjust - frankly, they need the swaddling now because they are young, tiny, used to being squished into a uterus and feel safe that way.  In a few more months they'll be so much older and won't need that 'tight to feel safe' feeling anymore.  Just as they shouldn't be swaddled because they are physically capable of more (rolling), coincidently they will also have grown out of that need... it all works!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Wow!  So many great updates!  I can hardly keep up with all the milestones these days!

So DS turned 1 yesterday!  We took the day off and had lots of fun playing, opening gifts and eating cake.  A nice warm up for his party which is in a couple of weeks.

I stopped pumping, but I'm getting really engorged and in pain.  So I haven't really stopped because I had to pump once yeserday and once today already to relieve the pressure.  Bleh.  I hope the girls figure it out soon!!  Any tips for painful engorgement?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

IPW... I had the same reaction when I started to use LosiIt!  ... really?  my coffee has 200 calories?  But yes, thinking of the whole day as a budget makes it so much easier to make better decisions.  And knowing that when I want that latte in afternoon means that I don't get dessert makes it easier to either resist ... unless i'm really tired, in which case caffeine is more important than chocolate :o)  I find that I track a week or two pretty accurately and re-gauge how much I am eating and get into good patterns, and then that lasts for a while. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Trouble  - don't go cold turkey with the pumping. You have to drop one session every three or four days. That should help with the engorgement.GL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa, I laughed out loud at your Salt n Pepa reference. DS has been fussy lately (teething, maybe?) and I've pulled out every song in my vast repertoire plus a bunch of really stupid made up ones ("No whining!" to the tune of The Who's "Who Are You," for example) and I pulled out Shoop the other day, too. Once I remembered some of the lyrics, I just resorted to repeating the "Shoop" part, though :). We swaddled DS until he was about 3 mos, and only stopped because of a few really hot days. When we realized he was sleeping fine without it, we stopped. For awhile we were just using the swaddle sleep sacks with his arms totally out because he always busted at least one out as others have mentioned. I don't know for sure if it made a difference to him, but it seemed a bit more cozy to me. FWIW, when we did swaddle him in those, DH would do it super tight. I once posted a pic on FB of it and people called it the "baby straitjacket." Trouble, happy birthday to DS! Ditto on stopping pumping slowly. I didn't have much left when I stopped and I still went very gradually. OT, is anyone watching the US women's Olympic soccer game? I don't follow soccer at all but I am totally caught up in the Olympics. I love how much US ladies overall are dominating!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Trouble, happy birthday to DS!  I hate to say it, but if it's really painful engorgement, I think you need to pump more and slow down more gradually.  You really, really don't want a plugged duct.  You'll end up having to pump to clear the duct!
    You could also try the things that are meant to reduce supply!  Parsley maybe?  Check kellymom.  I think just like we all responded differently to *increasing* supply, we respond differently to weaning and producing less.  GL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Good call, med.  I think there are a bunch of things that supposedly decrease supply.  Mint?  Caffeine?  Good luck Trouble!  I'm sure it won't be long before yuo can pack that pump away!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Oh, god, having unionized teachers at our center would be the worst thing, ever!  For me, management, but I also actually think for the teachers - they would lose many rights they now take for granted.  But I know others feel differently about unionizing. Actually, they can join one of the unions already - can't remember which one.  And every once in a while the unions get all motivated to try to get members and start hovering outside childcare centers in DC.
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

It's LIUNA. :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Haha Acrain, I call her the burrito when she is all wrapped up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Please tell me I am not the only one whose DD fusses when I am trying to do laundry, cook, eat, clean bottles, basically anything productive!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Why is my DH not capable of giving my LO her medicine? She's been on Zantac 3x a day for a week...this is not new news. I have to be out and leave her with him for 4 hours and he doesn't remember her meds. Then he tells me it's "not a big deal". Arghhhh I'm so mad I'm seeing red....I spent the afternoon waiting for my grandmother's furniture delivery that should have come at 8am, while my grandfather had been taken to the hospital (turns out he had a mild stroke). Last thing I needed to come home to is an angry baby because of reflux and having missed her meds....I am furious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, when I went to visit my folks and dh stayed home with the dog, he was supposed to give her antibiotics morning and night. Not news to him, either; she'd been on them a week already. I knew he wouldn't be able to handle it so I took the pills out of the bottle and taped them to a piece of paper I'd written the days of the week on with sections for morning and night. He kept it on the counter and ripped off the pills. If I'd left them in the bottle she'd have missed at least half of the doses. Liz, babies all fuss. And, there's no solution to be had if you've taken care of her basic needs. Part of becoming a functioning, well adjusted human is learning how to self sooth. Part of that lesson is learned by fussing and not having mom drop everything immediately for the fussing. I'm not saying put your baby in the crib alone all day and ignore her to teach her that lesson, of course, but giving her a chance to be "alone" a little while and figure out she can settle herself down while you do some chores (speaking to her in soothing tones) is nothing to fret and feel guilty about. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems that you are torturing yourself over everything. You do not have to know the perfect way to handle everything because there is no perfect way. Do the best you can, and it will work out great as long as your baby is fed, changed, clothed, and loved...all of which she always is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Liz, have you tried wearing her in a sling/carrier while you do chores?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Liz, my DS was often like that. The Moby, sling, and Bjorn all worked well -- he'd usually just pass out. DS loved his bouncy seat, too, and it was portable enough (compared to the swing) that I'd just move it into whichever room I was doing chores in. I even got to work out while he watched me from it (or stared blankly, in those days).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Liz - bouncy seats and or swings are really helpful. I had 4 bouncy chairs for my twins! (2 up and 2down). And they loved the gymini once they were about 3 months old (if I remember correctly).
    As a mom of twins I can tell you that sometimes babies are fussy. And in my world sometimes someone has to fuss while I take care of the other one (or myself!). my kids liked music on the CD player. We have "toddler favorites" and baby einstein lullabys. I read that French moms routinely wait a few minutes before tending to a fussy baby. They believe it helps teach patience. (wish I had read that when mine were tiny)
    I personally hated wearing my babies. Besides - I could only wear one at a time.But you may love that solution too.
    Hang in there - all will be well. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Even if nothing you try stops the fussing it's ok, they can handle it. That's assuming they aren't indicating that there's a real problem, of course. Like misslily, my friend with the triplets can only take care of one baby at a time so...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the suggestions on helping engorgement.  I think my b00bs are finally getting the message :)

Liz - I didn't get a thing done for at least the first 12 weeks of both my babies lives.  And I barely get anything done now.  Get used to it!  ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I agree with others Liz that this is something you have to adjust to. Your LO will fuss at any hour- she won't care what time it is or what you're trying to get done. All babies fuss for some time during the day, whether it's 5 minutes or an hour at a time. As long as you know she's fed, clean/dry, warm/cool enough and comfortable, you can let her sit for a few minutes by herself (as long as she's not screaming or hysterical). I've found that I don't have to run and pick up my DD every time she makes a sound. Sometimes she'll wake up and fuss for a few minutes, then fall back asleep.

I recommend trying the swing, bouncy, a wrap/sling carrier- you've got to find what works. Just don't expect to find it on the first try or that your DD will love it every time. What works one day might not work the next. It takes time and patience to figure things out. I think you owe it to yourself and your LO to take a breath, realize your world has been turned upside down, it's not always easy, but it will be OK. If you get tense/upset/anxious, your LO will sense it and feed off of that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Happy birthday little Trouble! Amazing how quicly the year goes by! I'm in disbelief that DD will be one soon.

Liz-yes, babies have an internal honing device that when Mama needs to get something done, they must fuss. It's in their users guide.

Summer-I hear ya with the meds. DS has been on 2x day inhaler for 2 years now. I can ask DH if he's giving him in inhaler in the AM and the answer is always "oh, I forgot." Guess I should just learn he hasn't done it. Thankfully he is good about his nightly meds. With your wee one DH might be scared to give her the meds without you there. I hope your grandfather is doing well!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for all of your input! My post was partially a joke, as I know that babies do fuss, I just thought it was funny that it happens whenever I need to get something done.

I do have the Ergo, but I need to learn how to use it. Maybe that is something on my to-do list for this weekend.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's exactly when they do fuss to get your undivided attention back, and there are pros and cons to both ways of handling it (baby wearing or self soothing), but the key word here, though, is STYLE, and within obvious guidelines you can't go wrong. Baby wearing is based on the idea that if baby wants your undivided attention it should have it if at all possible so it feels secure and other reasons. Letting baby fuss and giving them an opportunity to settle themselves down is based on the idea that self soothing is a life skill that should be encouraged as soon as the baby is old enough to learn to self sooth so it can calm itself down every time being held would be its preference. Many successful parents subscribe to both schools of thought, and I'm sure there are many who started in one camp and moved to the other at some point. Experiment and see what works for you, your parenting philosophy, and your family. If you make a choice that doesn't work for you, change it up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Self-soothing is a great thing to encourage but in my experience babies younger than 3 months aren't really mature enough to do it effectively or consistently.  When a baby is that young there really aren't many options.  You're either feeding, burping, changing, soothing, or figuring out what to do next because the baby is screaming and those things didn't work.

It's true, advocates of attachment parenting swear by baby-wearing.  that doesn't, however, mean all people who stick a kid in a sling are doing it because of a parenting philosophy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I've read and heard from my pedi that self-soothing doesn't happen until 4 months usually.

Sections
Shortcuts