August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

I'm pressure canning so posted a long time - I have to keep checking the gauge and adjust the heat...missed the latest in the meantime, sorry. Anyway, summer, that really stinks. My mom dealt with this from her mil, too. She was a "bad mother" for not letting me have fruit loops and was being "unreasonable" regarding her not smoking around me. Well, great. I had such severe allergies (food and respiratory) my mom had to be that "bad mother," but it hurt her forever that her mil said that and totally meant it. I hope you won't internalize her totally uncalled for comments like my mom did. ETA: it was the 70s, and not everyone believed in allergies...she told my mom it was all in our heads.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Summer: I'm so sorry that your DH's Grandmother said such hurtful things to you.  Mothers of newborns need encouragement - not criticism.  I would just write her comments off as mean old lady stuff though.  Some old ladys can be just so mean!  Especially that generation!!!  You are doing a great job with your DD! 

Okay, I know it probably seems like I've been talking about DS's first birthday forever, but once more and I'll stop :)  We had his birthday party yesterday and it was such a success!  He had sooooo much fun!  He doesn't really have any friends yet, so DD's friends were there which was fine because he thinks he's 2 years old anyway :)  He's a far cry from the shy infant he once was - hanging with the girls and the adults, and checking out the little ones (we had a few babies over too).  He smashed the cake up really well, but I'm not sure any made it into his mouth.  And he got some awesome new toys!  I'm so happy for him!

I hope everyone else had an awesome weekend too!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Summer - I'm so sorry DH's grandmother was rude. It's so hurtful when people make comments when they know nothing about the situation. I don't know when it became okay to bash mother's who don't nurse - like we're feeding our children Jolt Cola or something. I have friends who couldn't or didn't nurse for many reasons (including myself). Most of us tried (although one didn't even do that) and failed. When someone makes an offhand comment about the first day or two being hard they have NO IDEA what they are talking about.
    Simply ignore...block out the bad vibes...you're doing a great job!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi all,
    Trying desperately to catch up on posts!  Loving all the info about discipline for toddlers.  Like Medford (I think it was Medford) - I don't read any books, I just come here for advice!

Had baby #2 on 8/10 - his name is Gavin and we're both doing very well.  The planned c-section was definitely easier and smoother than the unplanned one I had the first time around, but I feel like the recovery has been a little more difficult.  But overall things are going ok, I'll just be happier when I feel better physically.

It's fascinating to watch DD with him.  She was kind of afraid of him in the hospital, but since we got home she is such a doting big sister.  DH and I are trying to carve out 1:1 time with her every day, which I think is helping.  At first, she was testing me - misbehaving for me specifically.  But that has calmed down, thank goodness (I had a mini-meltdown thinking that's how it was going to be from now on). But I have to say, going from 1 to 2 is challenging!  Absolutely NO time.  I can't imagine how it will be when i go back to work.  Oh - however one nice thing to come out of this (well, aside from a new baby!) is that you were all right: DD has bonded much more to DH since I was in the hospital, and now that I can't pick her up for a few weeks.  It's so cute to watch them together.  Before she kind of didn't give him the time of day, and now she's daddy's girl (but still loves mommy too). 

Great to hear all the updates, and sorry for those going through tough times (Summer - I am glad your DH's grandmother lives out of town. hopefully she will not visit often).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Trouble- glad the party was a fun success!

Poppy- Congrats! Cute name. Hope the family of 4 is adjusting well :)

I've since brushed off the grandma comments...she does live pretty far away so it'll be a while before she can come up with something else to comment on...

AFM, DD will be 2 months on Wednesday. Her 2mo appointment is on Friday, and she'll be getting a bunch of vaccines. Can anyone give me a heads up as to exactly what vaccines she'll get? I know the pedi will tell me, but I'm curious now....also, what can I expect after? A crankypants baby? A sad baby? A sleepy baby? All of the above? lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

her thigh(s) might hurt or be red or be sensitive at the injection site(s) for 24 hours - just don't squeeze when holding her.  She might have a fever - some babies get fevers (that day or the next day) while others seem to never notice shots happened at all!

Do you nurse her?  Some parents swear by nursing while doctor/nurse is giving shots, something in breastmilk or in the act of nursing that is a painkiller for baby.  Not sure if it's also accomplished by feeding a bottle....  if it's not just plain old voodoo!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I was just looking for DD's vaccine book and actually found it so I have the info right in front of me. At her 2 mo check up she got 6 (!) shots. I remember it being so sad as she was happy the whole apt and then bam! It was real tears. I think Daddy took it the worst. He was promising her ponies and trips to Disney. Once we picked her up, she settled quickly. I remember she was super sleepy that day. I just spent the day snuggling her.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - we had DS's 2 month appointment two weeks ago and he got 3 vaccines, one by mouth and 2 shots. They gave him the 2 shots one after another in roughly the same spot and it was awful. He cried real tears and screamed. I've heard of places bringing in two nurses and having them give the two injections at the same time in each leg i don't know if that would have been better but I would be curious to hear others experinces. I had a bottle ready and as soon as they said I could pick him up I gave that to him. It took a little while for him to calm down and then he fell right asleep. He ended up sleeping for several hours but when he woke up he was inconsolable. His poor thigh was swollen and he was clearly in pain. We gave him Tylenol and applied an ice pack to his thigh which ended up helping. He was pretty upset the next day too and required another dose of Tylenol but then was okay. Poor little guy the whole thing was heartbreaking. AFM, I return to work a week from Wednesday and am totally dreading it. I'm doing a trial run with daycare this Wednesday so we'll see how that goes. Also, DS is sleeping in his pack n play for the second night in a row. He had reverted to only sleeping in the bouncer a few weeks ago but we knew that couldn't last forever. Hopefully he will keep this up! Finally, our pedi gave us the go ahead to start solids early, around 3 months rather than 4. She said that she doesn't recommend that to everyone but that she thought our DS might be ready before the normal time range. Anyone else start solids early? I'm not sure if there is any benefit to starting early and we sort of have a lot on our plate right now with going back to work for both myself and DH. We might decide to put it off for awhile. Also, congrats to Poppy and Winter on their new LO's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Summer,  I don't remember what shots she got at her 2 month appointment, but I remember I was prepared for the worst. A friends baby cried for hours so that's what I was counting on, but DD actually slept most of the day - more than usual - the day she had her vaccinations.

My only advice is to not make other plans for the day - errands or having people over or whatever. If you can, just make the day about the vaccines and hanging around at home - giving DD what she needs, time to sleep, time to play or lots of snuggle time with Mama.

Poppy - Gavin, love it! Winter and Rama, I cannot tell you how jealous I am of your precious babies. I'm not sure how I would handle it, but oh, the feeling of new life (and being wiser for it the second time around!)

Odd thought, DD is turning 2 this week and I'm worried about aging off of the boards! I want to be here complaining about her wanting the car, and texting and boyfriends or girlfriends - I want all of your advice, guidance and support all the years of her upbrining, but their isn't much (YET!) beyond Infants and Toddlers is there?

Those of you with older toddlers, you'll stick around until your babies graduate from high school, right? :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think General under Parents ought to have you covered, ml, no worries. :) happy 2nd birthday to little ml!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Just getting back after a week's vacation.  I'm terribly behind on all the posts - but good luck to all the little ones getting their vaccines soon.  My DD handled them pretty well, but I was always prepared for the worst.  Maybe sore thighs and a little bit of a low grade fever.  Just lots of love and hugs and baby tylenol is my only advice.

Our vacation was fun, but we are exhausted.  We went to sesame place in Pennsylvania.  It was just okay.  A little small for what I was expecting.  I thought it would be a bigger park.  DD had fun and that was the whole point, but it left DH and I a little unimpressed.  Which was a bummer because I really wanted to love it.  Wish there was more that was dedicated to the really little ones.  Wasn't made any easier by the fact that DD was so amped up that her behavior was uncharacteristically challenging.  That is probably the nicest way I can phrase it!  She is usually so good, but this place really threw her off her game and she was a bit off the wall.  Granted, we are so spoiled because she is usually a pretty well behaved child.  Live and learn.  But I don't think we'll be rushing back.  May try Storyland in NH as I've heard great things about it there and it is a lot closer than Philadelphia.  If anyone is in the Philly area though, I would highly recommend the Please Touch children's museum.  We went there and DD loved it and it was a great spot for her to explore and play.

Hope everyone is doing well! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Congrats Poppy!  My sister is expecting her 2nd boy and I Gavin was a name I suggested, I love it!!  Hang in there on the challenges with the 2 kids.   It was tough for me at the beginning and after about a month it was second nature.  There will be times that having the two of them at the same time will be tough but you will figure it out.  I remember one of the hardest for me was getting into the car.  We did it and now even with DS out of the infant seat it is a peice of cake!!!

Summer - I think my kids got 2 shots and a drink at the 2 month appt.  As infants, both my childrent turned red, held there breathe, let out a huge cry but as soon as I picked them up they were fine.  Just sleepy for the rest of the day.

AFM - DS just turned 13 months old and we have successfully went the past 2 mornings with no bottle!!!  Yesterday it took him about 15 min to calm down and drink out of the sippy, and this morning just a few minutes.  I even put the bottle rack away which I love having the counter space back.   Hopefully tomorrow there will be no crying.  He still wakes up starving so he sucks down the whole cup of milk with is way different than DD was.  She would only sip.    He is still not walking but is starting to let go of things while standing and looks like he wants to take a step.  DD was already walking but now.   

Boys are so lazy compared to girls.  No one was kidding when they told me boys tend to do things slower than girls.  DD was so much more advanated then DS.  It is very hard no to wonder if there is something wrong but doctors and EI both said he is fine.   The doctor told me by the 15 month appt he should be saying 3 words.  The only thing he says right now is dada and I dont even know if he knows what that is yet.  We have 2 more months to practice!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

ML-I've had the same though about the infant/toddler's section...suppose we'll all gravitate to the general category-or still be talking about our middle schoolers in this section. However, I shall admit I will NEVER be old enough to have a teenager, so this worry is moot. :)

Quad- DS and DD are the opposite. DS was crawling and cruising at 6 months. DD didn't start until 9 months. At 10.5 mo DS was walking. At 11 mo DD still isn't-though I can tell she is close. I'm torn though, an early walker is not much fun-so stressful-but having more indpendence is nice.

Poppy-congrats! going from 1 to 2 is a challenge-espcially since you've forgotten what it's like with a newborn, or I had. But you will such sweet times with your DS and DD.

AFM- well DD is still on antibiotics from the ear infection, but has started to get sick again. Throwing up a few times yesterday, no fever, but she's definitely not sleeping through the night-the other night she was up every 20 min after I rocked her for about 20 min...she's got a really angry gum from a tooth erupting. not sure if this is the sole cause of it. But today she was definitely not acting like herself. Very quiet. Normally she's constantly babbling and on the move. She won't say anything and just wants to be held.  trying to wait it out a few more days. She's at day care and I asked them to call if she wasn't herself...so far they haven't called.

And for those who enjoy bike riding-we took DS, and his new bike, to the Minuteman Bike path in Bedford-a great path! it goes from Bedford through Lexington to Arlington. It was busy, but we had a great time. We ended up going on a 6 mile ride.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Congrats, Poppy, on the birth of your DS!  Glad to hear that your DD is doing well with the transition.  I think the younger they are, the easier it tends to be.

Sounds like Winter and Rama had their babies too?  Congrats!  I must've missed that post!

Quad - My DS isn't walking yet either, but I think it's a confidence issue - so maybe the same with yours? He cruises barely holding on to anything, and has been doing that for ages!  I am surprised because he loves to do everything his big sis does.  He did say his first word besides Mama and Dada, he said "Bear" :)  So I'm wondering if he's working more on his language right now.

KAM - Sorry to read about DD and hope she feels better soon!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

If the boards continue to exist, I am definitely here for the long haul, no worries, ML!  I see a plea to BDC for a "Pre-teen/Teen" section in our future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Poppy we are already in need of a pre teen section. :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - congrats on the new baby boy! What a cute name. You'll get the hang of taking care of two. I have a very good friend who was fretting about having #2 when my twins were about 6 months old. I told her, "Look, you're having them they way nature intended. It's how most people have their families. Not like me - having 2 at the same time!" A few weeks after #2 was born she sent me an email saying "Shhhh..don't tell our friends with "onlys", but two is better than one!"
    Congrats to Winter and Rama too - I seem to have missed the posts, but if babies are here...HOORAY!
    Summer - don't fret too much about shots. You've gotten some really good advice. Mine tended to cry for a minute or two and sleep a little more.

And I'm realizing that at age 3 I have fewer questions to ask. We are done with bottles, cribs, diapers, naps and they are starting preschool in a few weeks. But I'm not going anywhere. I like (hopefully) being able to help out someone else with a question. And i'm sure something will come up as we start preschool!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Congrats on baby Gavin Poppy!!

Wow Lily starting preschool, where has the time gone??   Hope they love it! 

AFM DS is getting his molars.  Well he got them on one side and now the other seems to be really bothering him. I didn't even realize the first ones came in until i felt them with my finger!    
      At the same time I am trying to wean from his morning nursing I BF am and pm, and heading back to teaching next week and think it would be much easier if I didn't have to sit there for 20 min each morning and nurse.  Though, DS thinks otherwise. He is SO attached!! (16 mon)  He will randomly ask to nurse during the day but have not given in and still only do the morning/night.  Since I started trying to wean I have cut it down by a minute each morning session and now we're down to 2 min.  I unlactch him and plop him in his high chair and give him breakfast (while screaming and pointing to the couch) Anyone have success weaning a toddler easily?   I think if I wait until he is ready, he will never wean... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Poppy - Congrats again!  Within the past couple weeks, I literally thought to myself that I like the name Gavin and it's too bad it's associated with some kid I went to college with.  Glad you didn't have that issue :o)

Summer - I don't recally DD ever getting 6 shots.  Liv, do you think maybe some were drinks at 2 months??  Anyway, the only time I remember DD having a big reaction to vacinations was the very first time.  She cried and then slept alllllll day.  Every time after that she cried less and less and didn't seem as off once we got home.

ML - I'll stick around if you will!

AFM we had a really nice weekend.  Saturday DH and I reorganized the shed so we could move more stuff in there.  So nice to have my dining room back!  Most of DD's baby stuff was already in the shed, but we reorganized and stuck it in the back since we won't need it soon :o(
    Sunday we took DD to the public gardens.  I wanted to snap some pictures of here with the ducklings, swan boats, flowers, etc.  I was trying to prove to myself that paying for photographer is unnecessary what with my amazing skills... Not so much!  I got some nice shots, but not as good as I hoped.  We really enjoyed it though, so I guess we'll have to keep visiting all sorts of places.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I am so behind on the posts, but wanted to congratulate Poppy on her son, Gavin! Love the name :)

AFM, we think DD has thrush in her mouth, so we have an appt. this afternoon. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, which is a relief. Anyone elses baby have this? I hope there is something they can give her, because it is kind of gross.

Last night DD slept A LOT. We put her down at 11, didn't wake up till 2 to eat and then again at 6. I woke up several times wondering if she was ok. It was so quite and I am not used to her sleeping that much at night!! She has been eating a ton, so I think she is going through another growth spurt. She is getting SO cute. Awake a lot more, smiling, starting to notice her mirror, toys, etc. I swear she gets cuter everyday, but, I am biased :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Liz, sorry about the thrush.  They will definitely treat both her and you if that's a problem (if you are b-fing, so you don't pass it back and forth).

Ajuly - it's not easy.  I am still nursing DD in the AM and I'm ready to end it.
    We got rid of the PM one by going out a few nights in a row and putting her in PJ's before coming home, and then the next night had DH read books to her in a different spot (not the nursing spot).  The first night of that she didn't even ask, and the second night she did ask and I said we'd do it in the AM and she accepted that.
    I'm more at a loss with the AM since I'm always there and we can't really be out some place.  I went on "don't ask don't tell" and for a few weeks we would only do about 50% of the time, but now she's asking every day.  And, whenever DH goes to get her when she wakes up, she gets really, really upset.
    So I don't know.  She's older than yours (just turned 2) and responds well to explaining things in advance, so I think I'm going to say "we'll do three more days and then that's it".  I think perhaps the off-and-on that some people say works for them was making her feel uneasy.  She's big on routines.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, I've had thrush in my mouth, and it's gross but not painful. She probably has no clue anything is wrong, thankfully. As I recall, you aren't bf'ing so there's no need to treat you both, but try to keep her spit away from any thin skinned area of yours - wash your hands very well after handling her and before you use the restroom because it's a yeast infection. If you do get it, eliminate all white processed food (white flour and sugar especially) because that feeds yeast infections. If you get it in your mouth they give you an oral antifungal rinse, but not sure what they do for a baby. Whatever they do rest assured, it's very common, not serious, and easily taken care of. If I'm wrong and you are bf'ing, reduce the sugar in your diet so your baby gets less, too, to starve the yeast. Ask the pedi when you go if a different formula might help with your baby's chemistry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for the input. I am glad she isn't feeling it. I've had yeast infections down there and it is so uncomfortable.

She is formula fed, so I don't have to worry about passing it back and forth, but I did put all of her bottles and pacifiers in the dishwasher on the anti-bacteria setting.

I'm thinking her Ph balance was off from the beginning, due to her being on anti-biotics in the hospital becasue of my fever when in labor. I am sure it just grew into a bigger problem because untreated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, that's it - and, it's how I got thrush, too. I had food poisoning and was on an iv drip of Floxin for four days. I was a flora MESS. Shell be ok soon. Ask the doc about how or if you can/should increase her probiotics. I'm sure her formula has some, but maybe she could use a boost for awhile.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Liz - DD#2 had thrush -I treated her when I was bfeeding but I stopped with the bottles.  They usually grow out of it and do not have sx.  However, I would do the course of treatment recommended by your pediatrician.  It is super common.

Summer- should receive a combined vaccine with diptheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, hep B, H flu, prevnar and the oral vaccine is rotavirus.  It is usually a total of 3 shots and one oral vaccine but depends a little on what combo vaccines your pedi has.  Both my daughters cried for about 1-2 minutes and that was that.

Poppy - I like the name!  Very nice! 

Sections
Shortcuts