August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

Poppy - Congratulations!  Great name (it took you some time to decide, right :)?

Summer- my DD just had her 2month last week.  She got two shots and an oral vaccine.  This was different than her 3-year-old sister got when SHE was 2 months, because I'd looked back to see.  The shots are combined differently.  I think luv is probably remembering right, they might have used to give 6 shots.  Now they give 1 shot that protects against 3 things. 

It depends on the kid how it'll go.  DD#1 was ok, mostly sleepy and fussy due to an achy leg (whichever one the tetanus shot goes into was really sore).  I nursed her on the opposite side and just pumped on the side the other one so she wouldn't have to lean on the sore leg.  She didn't have any trouble with the oral vaccine (which is for some rotovirus thing that is an intestinal thing) but DD#1 always had a cast-iron stomach.

DD#2 had a little more trouble.  The day of, she fell asleep right after the shots and woke up 3.5 hours later screaming. Her leg REALLY bothered her (like, shrieking at the top of her lungs, inconsolable).  After I nursed her and got some baby tylenol in her she was fussy but stopped screaming. She was VERY gassy and fussy for a few days from the oral vaccine. 

Liz- ugh, thrush.  DD#1 had that.  It's nice you're formula-feeding, it'll make it a LOT easier to combat, not passing back and forth between you and her like you would if you were breastfeeding.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I was thinking 6 was a lot of shots and couldn't remember DD actually getting that many but was just counting what was in the book. After reading other posts, I remember her getting the oral ones too. There were 6 vaccinations that were covered but not all were shots. Oops! How quickly we forget! Speaking of, I can't remember how we treated DD's thrush. I also had a fever during labor, so she received antibiotics while in the hospital, and the lactation consultant thought that probably caused it.

Do toddlers ever stop throwing their food? DD is a pretty good eater, but once she is done, she tosses everything on her tray. I sort of ignored it for awhile saying once you throw food you are done and would remove her from her chair. Now she is 17 mos, so I was thinking she would understand if I tried to get her to stop. I do make her stay in her seat until I finish cleaning up which she doesn't like. I try to make the connection that if she throws the food, she needs to stay in her seat while Mama cleans. She used to know the sign for "all done," but she hasn't used it in the past month. I give her small amounts but even small amounts of cottage cheese make for big amounts of clean up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

We got some drops that we need to use 4x a day for 2 weeks. My pedi said it is super common and not harmful at all, which is good. I am washing every bottle/nipple in the dishwasher and soaking them in boiling hot water for about 5 minutes after every feeding...hopefully that works.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I am not doubting any of y'all in any way, but I'm curious.  How does antibiotics lead to yeast/thrush when yeast is fungus not bacteria?  It's interesting, so I'm just wondering if anyone has some more info about how it's all connected.

Liv - Funny I just noticed the other day that DD hasn't been throwing her food as much.  I'm sure it's just a short reprieve!  She absolutely loves using utensils now, so maybe that distracts her.  Does your LO use utensils?  I picked up some toddler forks recently.  Half the she still uses her hands or I feed her a few bites, but the other half she does manage to stab the food and get it into her mouth.  Big girl!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Antibiotics can make you more susceptible to yeast/fungal infections because they kill all the bacteria, not just the ones causing disease. Most of the bacteria that live on us, and in our digestive systems, are harmless or even beneficial. When we are given antibiotics those bacteria get destroyed, and leave us open for opportunistic infections (and babies haven't developed some of the other elements of our immune systems that can fight off these pathogens). When we have lots of good bacteria (sometimes called probiotics) there isn't room for the bad ones. That's the theory at least.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, I'm not sure why a fungus is susceptible to your bacterial level, but it is definitely related. Maybe certain bacteria fend off yeast, an opportunistic infection that Amy-Lynn is referring to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    Antibiotics can make you more susceptible to yeast/fungal infections because they kill all the bacteria, not just the ones causing disease. Most of the bacteria that live on us, and in our digestive systems, are harmless or even beneficial. When we are given antibiotics those bacteria get destroyed, and leave us open for opportunistic infections (and babies haven't developed some of the other elements of our immune systems that can fight off these pathogens). When we have lots of good bacteria (sometimes called probiotics) there isn't room for the bad ones. That's the theory at least.
    Posted by amy-lynn

Pretty much this. Most of the bacteria in your body is beneficial, especially in your intestines and "down there". Antibiotics don't discriminate, so both good and bad bacteria are unable to reproduce or are killed - due to action of the antibiotic. Some types of bacteria actually eat yeast, so if there's too little or none of this bacteria present, the yeast have the opportunity to reproduce in high numbers and cause an uncomfortable infection.

This is why a common side effect of antibiotics is diarrhea, upset stomach, and/or a yeast infection. When you're on a course of antibiotics, it's a good idea to take a probiotic or at least an acidophilus supplement along with it, to help keep some balance of good bacteria.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Liv - my DS, 22 mths, rarely throws anymore.  Like Fram, he also uses utensils (but the real metal ones... gets offended if I put something plastic in front of him... so I finally found use for my salad forks!).  He also knows how to say, and loves to say actually, "All done."  So as long as I respond fairly quickly and help him down, he tends to leave the remaining food where it is.  And regardless of how much food is still remaining, when he says all done, he's done.  And I've accepted to just follow that lead.  Last night he only had 1 1/2 little meatballs and 2 bites of mac and cheese, and he was done.  Oh well... 

And an update.  I've been using the "Lose It" app for 2 1/2 weeks, and have lost 3 lbs!  I'm over the moon and already feel better - 7 more to go!  For me, so much of this app is just about learning portion sizes and general knowledge of food calories.  I needed to hit a Subway for lunch the other day, so I went to the website and their nutrition menu, and made a smarter choice than I would have before.  Still a tasty choice... but a good 300 calories less than what I would have ordered before.  Thanks so much to, I think it was Stefani, who suggested it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know if this is recommended for children/babies, but I found this probiotic from Dr. Natura that has 8 different strains of bacteria, far more than yogurt and in quantities you can't get by food alone. I've taken it after antibiotics to restore my immune system. Can't say for sure if it prevented my getting sick or a yeast infection, but I didn't. http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=25122&es=237530000ESC&utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=weblink&utm_campaign=froogle&cvsfa=408&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3235313232

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Thrush-it feels like a dry patch in the back of your mouth/throat. More annoying than painful. And yes, the antibiotics kill the good bacteria that keeps things in balance. After 6 mo of age, any time the kids get anitibiotics we make sure they have yogurt and I'll mix in some culturale (target brand) into the yogurt-It's a probiotic in a capsule form that you can open and mix in with food. We've found this helps the kids out with their tummies.

There have been articles all over the place in the last day or two about antibiotics before a certain age causing obesity in kids. They are linking it to the bacteria in the intestines. I'm not sure I believe this is a significant contributor to obesity.

Lose-it app. I recently started to use mine again. had a good laugh when it gave me an "award" for logging my food three days in a row. Having to document my food always encourages me to make better food choices.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for expanding on that.  It makes sense if the yeast is always there and the good bacteria keeps it in check.

Does anyone else constantly get "page not found" messages from BDC???  I just want to read a little news once in a while, but 75% of the time the pages won't load.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I'm not getting "page not found" but I have the worst time signing in. And all of a sudden my virus software is clearing all my cookies every night so I have to sign into everything every day. It's driving me crazy!BDC is the worst - you sign in and they say you don't exist and need a new profile - so I sign in somewhere else and instead of bringing me back to the boards it takes me to the front page..etc. etc. etc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Random hair question- my DD has this patch of crazzzzy hair on the left side of her head. It's wiry and rough textured and sticks straight up/out no matter what I do...the rest of her hair is smooth and pretty straight. This patch developed a few weeks ago. Will this crazy patch fall out? She's 2 months and lost just some of the hair she was born with but has kept most of it so far.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Misslily, try this to log in: From the main page, choose "Register," but instead of creating a new profile go to the right side of that page and log in...it works for me that way with all the browsers I've tried and a number of devices. (I can't log in by choosing "Log In," either.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Sorry- I did have my baby- but posted on the pregnancy boards, I have been juggling back and forth between the two for the past few months.  DD is doing well (wow, it is weird to write that) after a bout of jaundice... daily blood draws almost killed me.  She is adorable and I have taken some time (with DS in daycare) to bond with her a little bit.  Although DS has been great- helping with diapers and bath time and such, he is also really sad about some necessary changes and just cries- it totally breaks my heart.   Now, I have to try to finish all of the work i didn't while on leave, while caring for two kiddos... have I mentioned how much i love my job??

ditto on keeping the boards until they are teens- although I definitely don't want to lose any members, the constant battles we have with BDC makes me wonder if we should move to another site...  I am waiting for them to start charging for them like everything else.

Liv- instead of wiping/picking up food, do you have a dustbuster? it sounds really mean, but it scared the crap out of DS- he stopped the first time we used it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Winter.. out of curiosity.. why do you need to finish work? Usually out of general human courtesy fellow coworkers come together and cover for new mamas, and if you are on STD it is technically illegal for your company to require you to work.  (even when you do need to leave a bit earlier than expected).  I would be extremely upset that my employer could not come up with a better plan than having me finish assignments while caring for a newborn and a toddler not to mention the physical recovery from L&D.  Definitely a matter to call HR about if possible.  Perhaps you have no option (small company, tenuous employment situation, etc) ... but seriously!  they should be more considerate!  I am mad for you... so my sympathy definitely goes out to you and hopefully DH and family can help a bit?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    Liz, sorry about the thrush.  They will definitely treat both her and you if that's a problem (if you are b-fing, so you don't pass it back and forth). Ajuly - it's not easy.  I am still nursing DD in the AM and I'm ready to end it. We got rid of the PM one by going out a few nights in a row and putting her in PJ's before coming home, and then the next night had DH read books to her in a different spot (not the nursing spot).  The first night of that she didn't even ask, and the second night she did ask and I said we'd do it in the AM and she accepted that. I'm more at a loss with the AM since I'm always there and we can't really be out some place.  I went on "don't ask don't tell" and for a few weeks we would only do about 50% of the time, but now she's asking every day.  And, whenever DH goes to get her when she wakes up, she gets really, really upset. So I don't know.  She's older than yours (just turned 2) and responds well to explaining things in advance, so I think I'm going to say "we'll do three more days and then that's it".  I think perhaps the off-and-on that some people say works for them was making her feel uneasy.  She's big on routines.
    Posted by medfordcc

Thanks for your help Med. The part about reading books some place else is really going to help when I cut out the night nursing. And maybe DH will have to take over the night time routine. Not sure when that will be though! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for all of your congrats, ladies!  Lissa - love the pics you posted on the facebook page - just went there recently ("liked" your pics, but you may not have known who the heck I was!).  It did take us a while to decide on a name - it was day 3 in the hospital before it was official.

So, I know this is extremely common, but DD didn't do it... DS is a spitter.  He spits up after an average of 1-2 feedings per day.  Any advice about methods to prevent it, or is it something I just need to wait out?  I first try burping him (he's not a good burper), if I dont get one, I try to keep him upright for a while, then periodically try for a burp again, if I still don't get one I just have to go about my day and take my chances!  At night he was screeching when I put him flat on his back in his bassinet, so sometimes I have him sleeping in his carseat.  At the moment I don't have anywhere else he can sleep.  We have our 2 week pedi appointment next week and I'll bring it up, but in the mean time would love any advice.

Winter - sounds like we are having a similar experience as with your DS with my DD.  She's been wonderful with DS, but after about a week at home, she's been very emotionally fragile, crying at the drop of a hat.  Because I had a c-section I can't pick her up, and that's been very hard for her.  She's very focused on it, repeating it to herself constantly, "Mommy can't pick Zoe up." and makes DH carry her everywhere, constantly, including inside the house, including when he's cooking.  I truly think we're all dealing with it in the best ways possible, but it doesn't negate the fact that things are different and she has to go through an adjustment period (as do we all).

Meanwhile, DH and I are arguing a lot.  I think we're both tired and stressed, with all that's been going on (the house is still not put together, don't know when that will happen). It's making everything harder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poppy, try feeding in a more upright position; just learned that as my BFF with three has a spitter I was feeding. Between the three of them she has an example of everything, lol. Sorry about you and dh, but I think that's to be expected, although, can be attenuated. If either if you feel like an argument is bubbling up inside, decide on a timeout phrase that is a safe, immediate way to table the discussion before either if you gets really mad. Something like a simple, "I can't talk sanely right now," or a little sillier, "we have to be quiet, I'm going to blow!" whatever you decide, use the same one for both of you so it's a signal, not an attack that could be misconstrued as "shut up!" And, set a cool off time to return to the subject so things don't utterly get tabled to the point of further aggrevation and feeling ignored or dismissed. This temporary measure will probably cut down on the frivolous arguments that make both of you feel terrible afterwards for fighting over nothing while you are super sleep deprived.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

My husband was a champion burper. We'd have my maternity leave mom's club over for an afternoon and all the women would be passing their babies to DH to burp. He was very proud and empowered by the experience. :)

The method he used was the first one in this youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_UosOPIc8Q
    Hold DS in front of you with your thumb and index finger holding up his neck and tap and rub his back.

Sorry to hear about the added stress Poppy, I guess you both have to cut each other some slack and let things go - moving + new baby + sibling adjustment - you both deserve a medal for not completely losing your minds yet!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

poppy- hang in there. i started crying yesterday while making lunch because DS's sadness just got to me. DH was trying to joke around with me when I started crying and got all defensive that I couldn't take a joke anymore, and totally doesn't get why my heart breaks when DS gets so sad.  poor DH has also been doing a lot of carrying around- and we have been working to encourage DS to be more independent- like I taught him to climb into his car seat. a lot easier for me, and he mistakenly sees it as fun.

thanks boston for your thoughts- unfortunately, since it is patient care, no one can cover me for documentation part. and since 4 of my 12 paid weeks are considered my vacation time for the year, they said that I could "earn back" some vacation time- and it protects them from the whole short term disability issue.  in the end, I don't know how I could make it a whole year without vacation time, so in a few months I will be happy about it. just frustrating right now... particularly when my boss calls me at home to see how it is all coming... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh Poppy - poor you. My twins were spitters. I used to prop them in boppy pillows when they were tiny - bottoms in the hole and heads on the "U". Once they were big enough I put them in bouncy chairs. I also put those flannel receiving blankets down in the crib over the sheet. It was easy to pull up and throw in the wash, and I didn't have to change the sheet every time. I hated changing crib sheets!
    As for Zoe - poor lamb - lots of transitions all at once. I have no great advice. I do remember my mom saying that when I was born she wrapped up a bunch of little presents for my older brother that were "from the baby." When he was good and/or helpful she'd dole out a little gift. One of the potty training books I have mentions putting 25-30 dollar store gifts in a jar and letting the child have one everyday for not having an accident. I'm not huge into rewards, but it may help her weather these early days and get you to the point where you've healed enough to pick her up.
    Finally - I know everyone is trying to keep some peace, but I don't think holding her while cooking is safe. Even if she's insisting. I always think of Ferber - he has a great line in his book about kids "insisting" on things at bedtime...more water, another trip to the potty, another story, etc. He says, "Would you let them play with matches or knives if they insisted? Run in the street?" Of course not. So maybe while DH is cooking you and Gavin and Zoe can all sit on the sofa together and watch a video. That way she gets some snuggle time with you and DH gets some peace in the kitchen. It may help his mood too!
    I have absolutely no idea how you will get the house set up. I don't suppose your in-laws will come over and help? (Maybe it's just not worth it)
    Good luck and Hang in there...you're doing great!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Just two quick thoughts as I am running out to a day of training for FOCUS and TIME MANAGEMENT (have to laugh):

1) What about a backpack carrier for DH and Zoe?

2) Can you have some special snuggle time on the bed with just Zoe and you while you can't pick her up?

There is also a service called Women on the Move out of Marblehead, basically Mom's that will come in and set up house for you. It's probably more than you want to pay but might be worth your peace of mind these days! I know a number of women that work there, all mom's of kids I went to school with - super nice and calming and helpful.
    http://womenonthemovellc.com/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have to agree with misslily about the cooking with the baby. Fairly often I will splash or spatter things that burn my hands, arms, even face sometimes...not badly as far as I'm concerned, but it would be for a baby. Steam, fat, etc. can be unpredictable - I am careful even without a baby in my arms, and spoons/spatulas slip and flip making a mess and spraying hot stuff all over. I was making cookies with one of the triplets in my arms, but much to his chagrin I put him down and let him cry when I was using the oven even though I probably could have managed fine with one hand.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Poppy, my DD is a serious spitter too, and has been since the day she was born. We relied on that blue sucker thing so much in the hospital. The only advice I have is stock up on burp cloths- we keep on everywhere she lays- in her RnP, PnP, we have a sheet saver in her crib; we always have a cloth handy. Now that she's 8 weeks and bigger I've started using bibs on her, and they really have been very helpful to prevent her (and me) from going through 4 outfits a day.

Other than that, it's just something you have to wait out until baby's sphincter between stomach and esophagus strengthens. If the spit up is green or yellow, or baby seems very upset/in pain when spitting up, then you definitely need to ask the pedi. Otherwise they'll probably tell you it will get better with time. Feeding in an upright position and burping frequently can also help.

Sections
Shortcuts