August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

Thanks for the positive input on daycare ladies. When I read some of the responses yesterday I felt much better.

However, then today happened. I had to go into work for pretty much a full day (8am-3pm) to set up my room, etc for the sub. DD was home with her daddy while he worked from home. I was fine for the first few hours as I've left her for a few hours with him before to do errands, help family, etc. Once the afternoon hit I couldn't stop thinking about her and wanted to come home so badly.

When I called DH to check in, he said she had been crying for over an hour and nothing consoled her. When I got home just a few minutes ago, he said she had cried and fussed again for another hour after that...now I feel like a terrible mother for leaving my poor baby : :( He said that at least part of her crying was her wanting me, and I just feel so heartbroken :( I feel like I never should have left her and now that I can't possibly leave her like this every day. Especially as she'll be nearly 4 months once I go back full time, she'll know me even more and maybe miss me even more. I just can't do this, I feel so intensely sad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, I hope this doesn't offend you, but have you considered talking to someone? I am only suggesting because many of your posts you reference feeling sad, down, guilty, etc. I see someone once every two weeks (starting to go once a month now) and it really helps to talk about my struggles, and most of the time just vent.

I am not trying to pry or anything, just thought I would give a nice friendly suggestion. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Summer, I hope this doesn't offend you, but have you considered talking to someone? I am only suggesting because many of your posts you reference feeling sad, down, guilty, etc. I see someone once every two weeks (starting to go once a month now) and it really helps to talk about my struggles, and most of the time just vent. I am not trying to pry or anything, just thought I would give a nice friendly suggestion. :)
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're talking about me? Show me some examples- I've looked through all my posts for the past month and didn't really see myself saying I was sad or down...annoyed wth DH or his grandma maybe...FWIW I struggle with the weight thing and the idea of daycare, which are two big challenges new mothers face, but call me crazy if I DON'T see a depressed theme in my posts....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Liz was just trying to be helpful, even if it turns out that she was thinking of someone else.  (Personally I do not remember.)
    It's normal to be sad about daycare, but you shouldn't have to feel like you never should have left her.

Also, I don't know your DH or how he does with the LO, so take this with a boulder of salt, but how does he know that her crying had to do with missing you?  Perhaps he just doesn't have as many soothing strategies?  Or it was a cranky day?  Maybe every now and again your LO has days like this?
    Anyway.  I don't know your situation, but when they're so little they cry for so many different reasons.  It seems a bit dicey to be able to definitively attribute it to your absence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, I was just trying to be helpful. I won't suggest anything again. I apologize.

P.S. I never said you were depressed. I know what it feels like to feel sad or guilty, so I was only trying to help because I can relate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Liz was just trying to be helpful, even if it turns out that she was thinking of someone else.  (Personally I do not remember.) It's normal to be sad about daycare, but you shouldn't have to feel like you never should have left her. Also, I don't know your DH or how he does with the LO, so take this with a boulder of salt, but how does he know that her crying had to do with missing you?  Perhaps he just doesn't have as many soothing strategies?  Or it was a cranky day?  Maybe every now and again your LO has days like this? Anyway.  I don't know your situation, but when they're so little they cry for so many different reasons.  It seems a bit dicey to be able to definitively attribute it to your absence.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

He usually does very well with her. She doesn't normally cry like that when I'm home. I know correlation doesn't equal causation. Maybe it was just a cranky day.

And Liz, it's ok, I understand. Perhaps I responded too abruptly still in my emotional state. I'm better now...DD is snuggling with me Innocent

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

CLC, you'll know when it's officially time to stop EPing. I kept giving myself deadlines and then realized I could keep going. I quickly dropped down to 4 pumps a day. Right when I woke up, 2x at work and then right before bed. That made it manageable because I didn't have to take care of DD during any of those times. The pumps became part of my routine and anything I got was above and beyond what I had hoped for so it didn't feel like a chore. Anything you've done this far is a big accomplishment! And formula is perfectly fine too! Looking back I don't know know that I would have EPed if I wasn't in such a daze after having DD. The lactaction consultant just gave us instructions on what to do and we followed them. We didn't really realize all the choices we had around supplementing.

Once DD wasn't an infant anymore I didn't wake her up for anything. I never even go in her room to check on her. Once she is asleep, I like for her to remain that way!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to "Re: August Infants and Toddlers": [QUOTE]Quick question for you ladies, if you hear your LO po0p while sleeping do you wake them to change them? DS just started to po0p while sleeping and we've been changing him right away which wakes him up. I hate waking him because I can never get him right back down but I also feel guilty letting him hang out in a dirty diaper. Thanks in advance. Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE] Clc, I JUST saw this on The Doctors. Someone asked your exact question, and Dr. Sears said absolutely let the baby wake up naturally, do not wake a baby to change him even if you know he's poooped. He said to change him immediately upon his waking up to avoid diaper rash. He started his response, "You know that phrase, 'Never wake a sleeping baby?' - that saying applies here!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

CLC - I would say unless a LO has a diaper rash (or a tendency to get them), there is no need to change a diaper while he is sleeping. 
    Once in a while, if DD is awake from teething or something and she is soaking wet, we'll change her, but only if she's already truly awake.  If she's half asleep, the goal is to get back to bed asap regardless of diaper status!  :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks ladies, I will try to hold off on changing him then. 

First day back to work... going well so far.  There were definitely tears this morning (mine!) but I'm trying to keep busy so that I won't think about it too much.  Also, DS slept 8 straight hours last night!  I of course couldn't enjoy it because I kept waking to check on him.  I think he's going through his 12 week growth spurt but man wouldn't it be nice if this continued!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I think DD just finished, or is still going through her 6 week growth spurt. This week has been kind of tough. VERY fussy if not eating or sleeping. She ate, ate, ate on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then slept, slept, slept on Tuesday. Last night she went to bed at 9:30, woke up at 11 for a feeding, then didn't wake up again until 5am, and then went back to sleep until 7am! I was shocked.

She has been on and off today. Super good mood this morning, but now she is being a weird eater (only eating 2oz every now and then) and being fussy if not held or swaddled. She has also been farting up a storm so I know she has to pooop. I swear this child can not stand when she can't pooop, and until she does, it is a major bad mood leading up to it!

ETA: We tried gripe water, and I can't really tell if it actually works.

Oh, quick question. DD LOVES to be swaddled. How much is too much swaddling during the day??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Can you swaddle too much? DS wasn't a fan so we stopped doing that pretty early.  And for the gripe water we use it when DS has painful gas but cant get relief and it usually calms him down very quickly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc, glad the first day back is going well! Liz, your description sounds SO much like DS at that age. I felt like our lives revolved around how long it had been since his last p00p, and it felt like it took forever to get him to normal eating routines. Once he started solids, though, he had no more trouble pooping (although he still grunts and makes really funny faces when he does it). I felt the same about gripe water. I kept using it because I suspected an improvement, but I was never really sure. I'm counting down until 5 p.m. DS is doing his trial run at daycare and we want to pick him up roughly when we would normally be doing it. Both DH and I are on vacation this week, so it's a little weird to be without DS, but we've kept busy. This morning was awful though. I woke up sick, DS woke up too early and was such a miserable crank we decided to delay dropping him off until later in the morning. When we finally brought him to daycare, I thought it went okay but DH lost it and bawled as soon as we left. I don't think he was prepared, and he hadn't had the experience of going to visit the daycare with DS, which I did last week and made me feel much better. It was weird, though, to leave him just playing on the floor. The owner and assistant were right there playing with him, but I think we kind of wanted one of them to pick him up and cuddle him or something, even though he wasn't upset, just bc we were leaving...projection, perhaps?? Another reason DH was upset today is a really scary incident he had yesterday. While I was at my work orientation, DH's mom came down and they took DS for a walk by the lake in Wakefield. They were just walking on the sidewalk when a car that had veered off the road and THROUGH the park they were passing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Sorry, post got cut off. This car veered through the park, onto the sidewalk, and came within inches of hitting DH, DS, and MIL. It was apparently an elderly driver. He eventually crashed into a parked car and DH called the police. They were super shaken up, and weren't sure whether to tell me, but I'm glad they did. Apparently my MIL is still really upset about it. I just hugged them all and wouldn't put DS down (despite his squirming to go play) for like 20 minutes. It's so scary, and just made all the transitions this week so much harder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Arcain, that is so scary. DH must be having all sort of emotions besides the usual 1st time drop off. Do you happen to know where the incident was at the lake? I take DD to the "baby" playground over by the HoneyDew every Thursday morning. Enjoy the happiness you'll feel at 5pm when you go to pick up!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Arcain - that is SO scary.  I'm so sorry all of you had to experience that.  Glad everyone is okay.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

How much swaddling is too much during the day?  Hmmm... how old is your daughter? I'd say that if she 'needs' to be swaddled to feel comfortable (and not be crying or upset) then I'd swaddle her at those times.  BUT when she is in a good mood, remember to take her out of the swaddle and give her lots of on her back and on her tummy time so she can stretch, kick, reach, etc. 

So like this morning when she was in a good mood, keep her out of the swaddle, in the afternoon when she has a harder time, swaddle her! She'll start to have longer periods of time when she doesn't need the swaddle as she gets older and more easily can regulate herself.

Do you have one of those baby gyms where you can put her underneath and the toys hang above her? And she can (start to) reach for the toys?  She'll start to enjoy this, because the toys will be there and she can bat at them, reach for them, and eventually actually successfully grab one! You can also extend the toys so they are on longer chains with those plastic chain links you can buy at Target so she can then put the toy in her mouth - such a fun thing for them to do.  Not that babies should be under the gym all the time, but when they reach for a toy and it rolls away, it's frustrating - and that's good once they are 6 or 7 months old so they reach for it, wiggle and bump forward for the toy, adn learn that they can crawl to get a toy.  But at 4 or 5 months it's soooo frustrating to finally reach for the toy, grab it but in so doing push the toy with a finger and make it out of your reach!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, ladies. It was incredibly scary. Liv, it was at the other end of the lake, by the church. This guy actually drove through that big grassy area. I've tried to find info about it in the Patch, but nothing so far. It's so weird because I am such a worrier. Even before DS was born, something like DH being 15 minutes late and not answering his phone had me imagining an awful car wreck or something, and then something like this that I never would have imagined almost happens. I just hope it doesn't make my obsessive worrying worse!

My DS loved his baby gym from the time he was probably 6 weeks old, maybe even earlier. Before he could even bat the toys, he loved just gazing up, particularly in the mirror on ours. He would just smile at his reflection for minutes at a time. Little narcissist :). He actually still likes it at 6 months, though sometimes I think he's going to destroy it now :).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow, Arcain that is really scary. Glad everything is okay.  

AFM- Started back to teaching this week and thinking there is probably a coorelation here, DS is not sleeping very long at night.  Last night he cried and would not go to sleep, finally went down at 9 and woke at 5!  That does NOT seem like enough sleep for a toddler to me. He is used to sleeping from 8-6:30 or so.   He's done this all week pretty much.  He has been taking longer naps 3+ hrs but has been doing that for a while.  I am going to ask the sitter to wake him after 2 hrs today and see if he goes down easier at night.   I'm sure it sounds like he is over tired since he went to bed at 9, but I know if I had put him down at 7 he would be up at 3!  Plus he didn't even really seem that tired at 8 when I put him down.    Anyways, any thoughts you have would be helpful!  Don't toddlers sleep for 12 hrs??  (mine never has!) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ok- so there is no EDIT anymore. Wanted to add this in.   It's stories like this that make me feel better after a not so good day in the classroom.  

http://kylenebeers.com/blog/2012/08/20/why-i-hated-merediths-first-grade-teacher-an-open-letter-to-americas-teachers/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

CT-DC, we keep her swaddled when she is crying non stop and it seems to really help. Also swaddle her for naps and bedtime. We do have one of those floor mats and she LOVES it. Every morning she spends about 30-45 minutes staring at her "friends", birds, cow, etc and the mirror that hangs down. She loves to stick her tongue out at herself, so cute! We also do tummy time in the morning. She seems to be in the best mood from 6am-7:30am.

I guess there is no such thing as too much swaddling. If she is happy, then I feel ok with doing it often. I keep having to remind myself that she is still very young (only 7 weeks).

Acrain, so scary! Glad everyone is OK! There has been so many incidents with elderly drivers lately, sad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Acrain, I friended you on FB (found you through the Parenting page).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Arcain! That is so scary.  I'm glad everyone is okay.  So odd because a situation like that happened to me when I was in college and I also could've been killed AND I just happened to be thinking about it the other day!  So random, I don't know why it popped into my head.  

Good luck to everyone who is returning to work.  It gets easier, I promise!!!  I've done it twice :)  The best part is that you can have a hot cup of coffee and go to the bathroom without making a plan first :)  Ahhh... it's the little things!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

AJuly, my DS at 22 mths sleeps much less than he used to.  We put him down between 7-7:15pm and he will talk to himself and play his music most nights until 8pm.  He doesn't fuss or complain, so I don't go in.  Many nights he's officially asleep at 8pm, and very often wide awake at 5:30am.  Seems way too short to me, but he's not grumpy or cranky during the day (other than the usual toddler fuss).  His naps are usually 2 hours (and thank god he's flexible on timing since my MIL keeps no kinda of schedule whatsoever on the two days she has him).  I so wish I had that kid that slept 12 hours at night... would be much easier on my dinner time and wake-up schedule... but alas, I do not!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ajuly - you might be surprised to find that putting him down results in later sleep in the morning too. It usually works for my twins that way. If I put them down late and miss the "window" they tend to wake during the night and/or wake early.

Sections
Shortcuts