August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]Other than that, it's just something you have to wait out until baby's sphincter between stomach and esophagus strengthens. If the spit up is green or yellow, or baby seems very upset/in pain when spitting up, then you definitely need to ask the pedi. Otherwise they'll probably tell you it will get better with time. Feeding in an upright position and burping frequently can also help.
    Posted by summerbride09[/QUOTE]
    Poppy - hang in there.  DD was a major spitter and I followed all sorts of stuff about upright and burping, and she still spit up pretty much constantly.
    She almost never seemed upset or in pain, though, as summer mentioned.
    It was really annoying, though, because people would often suggest that she needed to be burped better or that I was overfeeding her.  The pedi said that it was not necessarily the case and some babies are just like that.
    So eventually I had to just accept it, and then it went away.

Oh - the other thing the pedi suggested was to pour out 1 ounce of cow milk on a blanket or counter and see what a huge mess it makes.  Makes you feel better that even though it seems like a TON, they usually aren't really spitting up their WHOLE feeding.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Poppy, DS was a spitter.  Never seem to bother him.  Doctor just said he was eating too much sometimes and the flap that holds food down in the belly was just not mature enough yet.   He finally stopped spitting up at 1 yo.  Like Med said, I had all kinds of people say things to me to, like "he needs to burp", its acid reflux".  I knew he was fine and just brushed off the remarks.

run it by the doctor, but I am sure he is probably ok if he seems like he is not in pain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My DD is a major spitter, but for some reason does wonderfully when DH burps her!! I feel like she always smells like milk, though!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Was there someone on here who had mentioned her DH having ADHD?  I'd love to chat if I'm not imagining that...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Fram I think it was ML who posted that a while back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

So my DD had her 8 week appointment today. 79th %ile for height, 30th for weight. She got her vaccines- 2 injections and 1 oral vaccine. She was a little fussy and more tired than usual this afternoon, and currently has been super fussy, a little pale and tired looking, I feel sooo bad for her. She's snuggling with Daddy and will have a bath soon- she loves her bath (minus the hair washing part) so hopefully it will help her feel a bit better. I gave her some tylenol even though her temp was fine; I figure her little legs must be sore anyways.

She rolled from tummy to back twice yesterday! So exciting, but I couldn't get her to do it again today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

DD achieved an army crawl!! :o) She is now mobile!  It is so fun watching her explore the house now... she has been all over the living room, harassing the dogs, getting into the plants, trying to eat dog toys, etc ... but she is so happy and pleased with herself :o)  It is so funny how in the matter of 2 days she went from being clingy and demanding a lot of attention to being happy as a clam to play by herself.  It sort of makes me feel silly about the fact that I had been getting worried about the fact that for the past month or two I have been very much entertaining her and carrying her around a lot.  I know that attention alone won't spoil a child, but I'd always heard of teaching them to play by themselves, etc ... but she just wouldn't have it for more than 10 mins or so.  But today was so different.  She explored the living room for 2 hours this morning and another 2 hours this afternoon.  DH was home with her this morning and I've been with her this afternoon, and although we have generally been in the same room we are by no means entertaining her.  I feel so much more confident seeing her happily play and scoot around by herself.  Not to mention thrilled to see her beaming from ear to ear about her new abilities. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How exciting, Boston! Quick, grab the video camera before she starts to walk! :) Summer, hope your lo is back to herself today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

So much to catch up on!  I havent checked in awhile!  Poppy and Winter Congrats on your new arrivals! 

I am glad that I did check in because DS will have his 2 month check up next week.  Now I will know what to expect.  Ill make sure to get some tylenol and just plan to stay home for the rest of the day.  I cant wait to see how much DS weighs and how much he has grown!  He is getting so big so fast!

I had never heard Thrush before?  I understand its a yeast infection but how do you know its there?

I had the Mirena inserted last Friday.  That was an unpleasent experience, to say the least.  But my doc recommend this since I am BF and want to have another child sometime. I am still a little scared to "do it" for the first time even though I had a c section.  Poor DH.... Is anyone else using this BC?  Is it going well?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Another OT question from Fram.  Does anyone know of a good web site for laptop info/suggestions?  I'm hoping to find something that says, if you need a laptop for everyday use, you need XYZ.  If you take a lot of photos, you need ABC.  I need a new laptop stat!  Thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pugs, best at your 2 month appointment.  Thrush presents as a disgusting "fur" on your tongue that's light in color and is thickest on the back half toward your throat.  I remember it being a tiny bit uncomfortable, but that might be because I was messing with it and my taste buds were inflamed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Winter and Poppy: So sorry to hear about the rough transitions for your toddlers.  Of course every child is different, but I think that my DD's transition was helped by DH and I totally dividing and conquering.  DH took several weeks off after DS was born and he was responsible for DD's care and I was responsible for DS.  He had been doing bedtimes leading up to DS's birth, so it wasn't an abrupt switch.  I do think this delayed him bonding with DS at first, so a few weeks in I would force DH to do skin to skin with DS daily, and I'd play with DD.  Also, although we typically have no family help, MIL came from across the pond and stayed with us for 6 weeks, so both kids were lavished with attention from Granny as well.  So, if you can get regular family help, or even family to stay with you, I say go for it.  Cash in all your chips now.  It's worth it.

Boston: So exciting!  Congrats on DD crawling!  

Summer: Congrats on DD rolling!!

AFM, we did a road trip this past weekend to see some family in NJ.  Seeing family is great, but boy to I hate the journey.  It is sooooo stressful for me!  I'm constantly worrying that the kids are okay.  They are usally good for the first 3/4 and then start to get annoyed.  So I squeeze in the back between the 2 carseats which is sooooo uncomfortable it has me considering a minivan!  (we have a wagon).  DD got car sick for the second time, but luckily I was in the back so there was minimal carnage.  All in all, glad that the trip is done!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Boston-babies get clingy right before they hit a moving milestone. Before crawling and walking. DD is super clingy right now, but for DH! I'm total chopped liver to her there days, it's very funny to see. She had ben a mama's girl and DH, I could tell, was feeling slighted. Slighted no more! He can't walk past her without her clinging onto him or crying big wet tears. :)

We took DD out on this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3417612 over the weeked. she was so excited and has such a great time.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I've got a bad case of the Mondays today. That compounded with a cooler morning makes me grumpy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Always nice to hear about everyone's weekend :o)
    Sunday morning we hit the zoo with Silver and her DD.  Later on DH and I took her to some little festival nearby, where she went in the bouncy castle.  The attendant was so nice - let her stay in for a while after the other kids got out since she had a hard time standing up with all of them jumping around.  She loved it.

Her newest things is saying, I did it!  It is so incredibly cute.  We must say it a lot without realizing it.  (Or maybe she secretly watches Dora - isn't that a song or something?)  It seems to me like her language is pretty advanced, but it's hard to say because a) what do I know? and b) the other babies we spend time with are 6-10 weeks younger and at this age that makes a big difference.

Pugs - There are some other threads about IUDs if you want to look for them.  I had a Mirena put in a year ago.  Overall a good experience.  In the past year, I have only had what I would call a period one time, but was still BFing in the beginning.  The annoying thing for me, though, is that I have completely unpredictable spotting.  I'll spot for 3 days in a row and think that was my "period", but then a week later I'll spot again one day.  At an unrelated appointment, the NP said the spotting will get even lighter over time so that's cool.  I didn't do much research in advance, but apparently ovarian cysts are a side effect for some people.  I have a follow up u/s coming up soon to check on some.  Will have to ask about any long term affects linked to that.  But, like I said, overall a good experience and I'm happy with the choice as long as these cysts don't turn out to be a big deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Kar- Thanks. DD was fussy that evening and still a bit on Saturday. She slept a ton the next day, even 10:30pm-6am that night! She's back to her (mostly) happy self now.

As a teacher my summer would normally be just about over, but I'm taking an extra month. However, I already find myself beginning to panic about returning to work and DD going to daycare. I know that tons of kids go to daycare and are fine, but it just makes me feel like a horrible mother, immensely guilty and sad. I would do anything to quit my job and just be with her. Any tips on how to feel better about this? I still have until October, so I can't imagine how much worse I will feel as it gets closer...

On the upside, she's rolled a few more times, so I know it wasn't a fluke. She greets me with a big smile when we get up in the AM :) I could just eat her up, she's too cute!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Summer - I can relate to the angst you are feeling about the start of daycare.  I think I can speak for a lot of moms on these boards that it was not an easy thing to think about and I dreaded it too.  My DD (who is 2 now) started daycare at 10 months and I wept outside her classroom door after I had to leave her there on the first day.  I was so sad that she wasn't going to know anyone and that she would be wondering why her mommy left her with strangers.  I will say that it gets better very fast and the younger they are the better in my opinion.  My DD bonded with her caregivers quickly and is now so happy to go to 'school' everyday.  After a week's vacation last week, she ran into her teacher's arms last Monday because she missed her and all her little toddler friends.  I can also feel really good about it because they do things with her at daycare that I would never have the patience or creativity to attempt at home.  Plus, the socialization and routines are good for her.  I truly think that the pros outweigh the cons and we've come a long way since that first day crying in the hallway! Just keep telling yourself that it gets easier - I promise!
    The other advice I would give is more related to the logistics of it all - I found that it is helpful to have dedicated bags for daycare stuff and have a good sharpie to write her name on stuff.  Or, I also ordered some name tag stickers with her name on them from namebubbles.com.  They were great.  I would also say that no matter how tired you are, try to pack as much for the next day as you can the night before.
    Other than that, enjoy the rest of your maternity leave.  -and this wonderful late summer weather!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, I'm glad she's OK, now. It's always hard to see them not feeling like themselves. Regarding daycare, I met a friend in daycare that I will always remembered very fondly. In fact, we planned to get married. I was 5 and he was 4. I asked my mom how old you had to be to be considered an adult. She said 18, and I secretly started our countdown to marriage. (He was killed in a car accident a year later, and I still well up over it.) I also remember making crafts (a tissue box, rubber band, paper towel roll guitar comes to mind) and all sorts of things that impacted my life in a positive way. All my memories of daycare are 100% positive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Checking back in quickly while I'm on hiatus from vacation (orientation at work tomorrow, even though I don't officially start until next week). Congrats Poppy and Winter! Best of luck in these early weeks with the newborns and your older LOs! DS just hit 6 months and boy is he a 6 month old -- sitting, teething, going to town on the solids. Where did my tiny baby go? Big changes in our household, too. I'm going back to work, DH is leaving his awful job (yay!) and freelancing until he figures out what he wants to do, and DS is starting daycare 2 days a week (he'll be with grandparents 2 other days and me on Fridays). I have my work orientation tomorrow, Weds DS does a trial run at daycare and DH and I scramble to do,all the chores we need to do before I go back to work, and then we have DS's 6 mo checkup and head back to the beach for a few more days. I reeeeeeally hope I see a tooth poke through in these next few days bc he's been an unhappy boy.... Hope to,catch up on posts soon!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm headed back to work Wednesday. Not looking forward to it at all and I've been very weepy lately. Thank god it's a short week and then a long weekend. Also, I've had to give in and start supplementing because my supply can't keep up with DS most days. I know in my head that there is nothing wrong with formula but I still had a hard time with using it. I have a lot of guilt over it even though I know it's irrational. However, it was only a matter of time before this day came. I've been EP'ing since DS was 3 weeks old and man is it exhausting. My original plan was to have him on bm until one year but I don't think I can make it. I'm shooting for 6 months at this point. I'm hoping it will be easier when I head back to work because I won't be trying to care for DS and fit in pumping.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Summer- I am a teacher too so I know how you feel. I felt the same way last year when I went back to work, and still feel a bit of it too.  It's hard being with kids all day and not your own.  But I will say that the worrying beforehand is worse than it actually is. You end up getting into a routine and for me at least it was okay.  It just started to be the norm after a bit.  I always tell myself, I am able to be home by 4 or 5 and have summers and vacations off which I would not have in a different job and that I am lucky.  When I get home from work I plan a little DS time and we play, have some QT before we walk the dog, make dinner etc.  It won't be as bad as it seems, I think the anticipation is worse than actually doing it! 
       Ugh where did the summer go??? First day of school today.  Give me my summer back!!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Quick question for you ladies, if you hear your LO po0p while sleeping do you wake them to change them? DS just started to po0p while sleeping and we've been changing him right away which wakes him up. I hate waking him because I can never get him right back down but I also feel guilty letting him hang out in a dirty diaper. Thanks in advance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CLC - I'm sorry you're feeling so bad about formula. I just want to remind you that not producing enough milk isn't your fault. I have twins and, like many mothers of multiples I couldn't produce enough milk either. I EP'd as long as I could and then stopped when I simply couldn't take it anymore (8 or 10 weeks). My formula fed babies are now 3 years old and have hardly ever been sick - and never had any ear infections.
    If I have one complaint about nursing education it's that we all seem to have the same guilt if it doesn't work out and we switch to formula. I had it too. I now realize that I shouldn't have felt badly about choosing the best thing for my babies and also for me. And - no attacks here - I'm not critisizing the LC's - I'm just pointing out a sad byproduct of all the pronursing info. When you are constantly told "mother's milk is best" you can't help but feel a little bad about making the switch.
    Hugs - I know just how you feel. As my pedi said to me (a triplet dad!) "The goal is to get food into them. Not win a badge for nursing."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc -- good luck with going back. I start my new job Tuesday. At this point, I'd just like the anticipation/anxiety over with! It is SO hard to not feel bad about giving formula when you had high hopes for bfing, but you are seriously amazing for making it this far EPing. I had to supplement from the beginning and hated it for about 3 months or so. I just stopped bfing entirely (DS is 6 months, and for the last 2 or so he'd only been nursing in the a.m. and my supply had tanked) and am finally pretty much at peace with it. DS is thriving more each day, and I feel like now that I'm not fixated on making bfing work, I can truly look forward to all the milestones ahead. I suppose it helped that on family vacation this week I've learned that almost every one of my female relatives with kids had some issue with bfing and most had to supplement before they were ready. Long story short -- I won't tell you to just be happy, because that's a process you have to go through (although with recognizing it was inevitable, you're far ahead of where I was at this point!), and it took people months of telling me before I got over it, but please just know you're doing an amazing job and your DS is an incredibly lucky kid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]I truly think that the pros outweigh the cons and we've come a long way since that first day crying in the hallway!
    Posted by ALS76[/QUOTE]
    The whole post from ALS is so true!  My DD loves her teachers so much, and it's been a huge improvement in terms of her comfort level with other kids.  And I also agree that it's easier if you start earlier!  We didn't start her until 12 months and I wish we had started sooner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Agreed with the positive comments about daycare.  DD is 22 months and loves her school and her friends.  In the mornings, no matter what she's doing, if we say "time for school", she'll head to the door and say "bye" and be ready to go!  I think in addition to social development, it helps to have the peer influences for things like eating with utensils and (I hope, when the time comes!) potty training.