August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

I look at it as in, I can't send her in September of 2015, instead I have to wait until September of 2016.  Whereas if her bday was in August (or earlier), I could stop daycare a year earlier. :)  However, like I said, I'm not unhappy that she'll be one of the older, and we may even decide to send DS (due Friday) a year later, even though it will mean more daycare.

Kiwi - Interesting.  And painful.  Know any good New Zealand real estate sites?  ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, Kiwi, I am already dreading the BPS lottery, and I know I don't have to think about it for a couple of years!  Fortunately, I've got a few friends who have been through it and know some folks involved with BPS as resources; I'm also hoping that by the time I need it, they'll have reinvented the process yet again and it will start to make a little more sense.  Or, as you say, it's parochial school for us too! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

KAM - scary about your DD!  Glad she is better.

Re: your comment about summer camps - I went to a lot of day camps in the summer when I was growing up, and I LOVED them.  LOVED them.  So much fun.  Actually, the worst summer I ever had was the one after I was too old for day camp (but too young to drive).  So don't feel *too* bad about camps!
    Save feeling bad for when you see the bills...  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In response to "Re: August Infants and Toddlers": [QUOTE]Oh, Kiwi, I am already dreading the BPS lottery, and I know I don't have to think about it for a couple of years!  Fortunately, I've got a few friends who have been through it and know some folks involved with BPS as resources; I'm also hoping that by the time I need it, they'll have reinvented the process yet again and it will start to make a little more sense.  Or, as you say, it's parochial school for us too!  Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE] Along these lines, we had an unexpected visit from our city councilor, John Connolly, the other night. He was stopping by homes in the neighborhood to check in and leave his business card. Once he saw the boys, he talked about his involvement in school change and how he is committed to making BPS a good option so that families like ours don't leave the city. I know he's got a tough road to haul, but it's also good to know someone is there and keeping the issue at the forefront. (Rumor has it that his older child was initially left unassigned for K1 even though they had almost 20 schools on their list.) I know you're not this way quite yet, but there's a pretty active West Zone parents group on Yahoo. Let me know if you'd like me to send you the info on joining that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I can't wait to send my kids to camp. I think they will love it and it will be so much fun. I never went to camp either, but I really think they would enjoy it. Most of them seem to be ages 4-14 so I'm hoping I can get them in next summer even though they won't be 4 until the middle of July.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ha - I *hated* camp.  It was not for me.  At least the one I was sent to.  And I was sent for YEARS because my mom (single parent) worked full time and had no choice. However, I think it's a valuable experience that many kids absolutely love.  I would definitely send DD, however if she came home miserable every night I would listen to her and either change camps or pull her out.  Kids will let you know if something is working for them or not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... ditto.  Camp was NOT for me.  I wrote letters to my grandparents every night to come and get me.  My Dad actually saved one and showed me recently.  It was hilarious.  BUT, I will also let DS attend, both day and overnight camps, and if he likes it, awesome.  But will also try to find other options, sports "camps" or such, if he does not like doing archery and scavenger hunts :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I cant wait to send my kids to camp!!!  That is by far my favorite childhood memory.  I went to camp yomechus in middleboro for 8 weeks every year.  I really miss those days!  There is a FB Page for it and I LOVE LOVE looking at old pictures.  I even caught myself in a few as a little girl.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Oh - I wasn't even thinking of sending them away to camp. There are a lot of day camps in my area and I was thinking of those.My kids are way too young for overnight camp.
    We may do that once they are older - if they want to. My nieces went to 2 week away camps that offered things they were interested in: riding, rowing, violin (!).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

regarding sept babies... DH and I talked about it ever since we knew DS's due date... and it was not easy to think we have to pay another year, but we also knew we do not want to promote our kids up just to save a year in daycare - I have way too many concerns about the affect on the youngest children in the class especially during puberty and know some people who were youngest in the class - where the issues were not academic issues but more a developmental chasm physically and socially that has had a lingering effect. Not that this is an issue for all children, but for us, we feel better with having them wait (my EDD for second is early Sept).

Camp - I hated the first one I attended but once I got my parents to let me go to a horseback riding camp, I loved the two I attended and those are some incredible memories. The key I think is to find one that matches your LO's interests and personality (the two riding camps were as different as day and night, and I had fun at both - but I loved the second one the most - and my younger sister did not enjoy it that much - she never went back to it but instead went to another camp that was quite different).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son is a September baby.  He missed the cut off by 13 days.  He's usually the oldest in his class.  Right now he thinks it's cool. He also has attended summer day camp since he was 5. I don't know of any that start any younger, most I've seen are 5 or will be 5 by the start of the school year.  He's in the last year of regular camp and then next year he's a CIT (not paid).  He can do that until he's 14. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Definitely echo the thoughts about different camps being right for different people.  I should clarify that I mostly went to day camps when I was young, and while I liked some better than others, days of swimming and arts and crafts still sound great to me!

While this is a long way away for most of us, I will also definitely try to send DD to overnight "special interest" camps when she's older (unless she has a job).  I went to one for marine science and I had friends who went to ones for sports or music (a lot of these are on college or prep school campuses).  I went when I was 15 and 16 and loved them.  When I was 14 and too old for day camp (but no jobs I could get or get transport to), I just SAT THERE all summer.  It was so horrible.  Some down time is great, but this was just a huge void.  I watched TV and felt empty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

HAHA, Lissa, your whole post made me laugh!! She was ok last night, only woke up at 12, 3:30 and this morning. She is sleeping now, and she is 4 weeks today. I think she went through some spurt, and hopefully she will sleep a lot. Actually, the other day I asked DH if he thought she was sleeping too much, and he was like, um no...let her sleep!!!

The shhing REALLY helps, I read the whole The Happiest Baby on the Block and it helped a lot. She also calms down right away when she is swaddled. Last night she screamed through her whole bath and after, but stopped the second she was swaddled. Too bad I s*ck at it; DH needs to teach me, he apparently is a pro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: August Infants and Toddlers:
    [QUOTE]HAHA, Lissa, your whole post made me laugh!! She was ok last night, only woke up at 12, 3:30 and this morning. She is sleeping now, and she is 4 weeks today. I think she went through some spurt, and hopefully she will sleep a lot. Actually, the other day I asked DH if he thought she was sleeping too much, and he was like, um no...let her sleep!!! The shhing REALLY helps, I read the whole The Happiest Baby on the Block and it helped a lot. She also calms down right away when she is swaddled. Last night she screamed through her whole bath and after, but stopped the second she was swaddled. Too bad I s*ck at it; DH needs to teach me, he apparently is a pro.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

We swaddle our LO in the SwaddleMe...even with that my DH is still better at it too! I swear trying to wrangle her into that is like trying to get an octopus into a straight jacket...there are arms flying everywhere!

My DH is going away this weekend for Fri&Sat night...I'll be on my own! Well sort of, Saturday afternoon my mom is watching her so I can go out with a friend. Any tips for going it alone for a couple days/nights? I don't want DH to come home to an exhausted grumpy wife.

Back to the weight issue...stepped on the scale this AM and I've gained almost 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks. Talk about a low point. I feel awful. I wish I could never eat again, yet my stomach growls for breakfast as I sit here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Liz, definitley try to swaddles with velcro.  I absolutely could never do a blanket.  Just not coordited that way I guess.  But the little "pods" you stick them in and then wrap around the "arms," pure genius in my mind!

Summer - good luck.  I'm on my own next Mon-Wed straight through 6am Mon to 8pm Wed.  My advice, just power through!!!  Take advantage of sleep and naptimes to just sit and relax.  Don't try to clean the entire house, do all the laundry, make 7 cassaroles, etc. while its just you this wknd.  Do what you can manage, and want to do, and then breathe/chill the rest of the time.  Especially since this is your first time alone.  It will be fine!  You'll be surprised how you get into your own routine.  

Weight... I started using the LoseIt App, which I believe was Stef's suggestion.  What an EYE OPENER.  I have never dieted before, so I was just so clueless about food and calories.  While I don't want to track calories forever, this is so incredibly helpful as a learning tool.  Who knew that a bagel vs. an english muffin had 300 more calories.  (well, maybe everyone... but not me).  And sure you can have a 600 calorie breakfast, but that limits the rest of your day.  And when I'm given a daily calorie allowance, I can now think about the day in entirety instead of just every meal and snack I eat one by one.  I've been using it since Monday and already I feel so much more in control of my eating habits, and I've already made some smarter choices.  And I've actualy been 80-160 calories UNDER my 1,547 allowance every day! (that means I should start losing soon... right???)  Amazing considering when I plugged in I wanted to lose 8 lbs in 16 weeks, and it said "1,547 calories a day" I almost fainted.  But actually, that's quite a bit and you can still have some really great meals and snacks.  I'm only 4 days in... but this is a really great FREE option so far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

CT-you're right. Fevers can cause the appearance of breathing problems. Unforuntatley, we in the KAM household are all too aware of the differences between a fever breathing (like a panting dog), to pneumonia (very rapid breathing yet different than panting dog-pulling skin in between ribs when breathing) to asthma (rib, tummy breathing, horrible grunting sound, gasping cough).

DD did her gasping/grunting breathing again last night, about the same time as the night before. But calmed down much faster with her inhaler.

As for camps, I never went to one, and my personality doesn't like being trapped in forced fun events. But so far my kids really enjoy going to day care, and DS loves going to his sports camp, so hopefully we'll find something he will enjoy. Though sleep away camp-never! I will miss them too much! (though my cousin who from here sends her kids to NC for camp says I will change my mind. :))

Liz-around 4-6 weeks is a growth spurt. If she is spitting up a lot of the bottle try to soothe wtih a paci or your pinky. if like Lissa says she gets more pissed, or even if her eyes open big and wide then she's hungry. If she blinks, she's tired. after a few times you'll be able to tell, if you can't already, the difference in hunger vs soothe s ucks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Oh, and I am an Oct baby and skipped K and started first grade at 5.  So I didn't turn 21 until Senior year in college.  I actually didn't mind at all, and felt academically prepared and emotionally prepared for every year (helped my BFF was only 2 weeks older).  But, that is clearly not saying every kid will feel the same.  My highschool boyfriend had been kept back, as they thought he'd be bigger for varsity sports that way.  So he was only 10 months younger, but 2 grades behind me (craddle robber I was!!!).  But that ended up working for him really well as he was... shall I say... a bit on the immature side (and probably still is).

And I agree, not going to rush things for DS just to save some daycare payments.  But, if we stay status quo for the next 5 years, I'll have made  $80K in daycare payments over 6 years.  Just a tough nut to swallow.  But, we signed up for parenthood and both want to work for now, so not blaming a soul for that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

liz- I also really liked the video for happiest baby... got it from the public library. very helpful to "See" what they were talking about. ditto on the rest of the recs... oh, and I like pop/dancy types of tunes and listened to them a lot when pregnant when my first- I swear to hear the same stuff again was soothing to him. with my current, I will have to start yelling my toddler's name to emulate the womb.

ps. i loved camp- but got to choose what to do there... I actually stayed a girl scout way past when I thought I would because they had horseback riding and sailing camps :) that got me away from my parents as a pre-teen.

pps. IPW- I agree about the money, and often wish we lived in the places that the federal government talks about when they are estimating the cost of daycare, because it certainly isn't MA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, I am a big fan of Salt n Pepa for these situations. Shoop has the perfect rhythm for baby soothing (and baby making, though that's another story for another day).
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]
    ah ha ha ha!
    It's funny what they like, though.  My DD has always loved they might be giants, but also notorious B.I.G.

Liz - have you tried the Miracle Blanket?  It's crazy expensive, but we loved it.  Even better if you have a local friend or parents' group where you could post in search of a hand me down or even someone willing to let you come over and try it out.

Speaking of, people are so nice.  I couldn't find the kitchen I was considering for DD's 2nd birthday in any stores but I wanted to see it, and I posted on our online parents' group and a lady invited me over to see hers in person.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

IPW - Oh god don't make me do the math!!!  I am torn right now between busting out the calculator to calculate daycare x 5 yrs and never ever doing that.  The Lose It app sounds good.  Maybe I'll check it out... once I upgrade from my flip phone lol.  It really is crazy how much you can do by making informed decisions.  For example, not drinking your calories.

Medford - We just found a kitchen for DD curbside.  I might upgrade for her next bday or something, but for now it is great!  It's in great shape besides some crayon drawings by someone named Julia :o)

Liz - I second the velcro swaddles.  I did have ONE blanket I could swaddle DD in for a while, but mostly the velcro ones worked better for us.

Has anyone heard anything about daycares unionizing??  My father said MA passed a law (or whatever), but I haven't heard a word on the news, etc.  Time to google...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]Medford - We just found a kitchen for DD curbside.  I might upgrade for her next bday or something, but for now it is great!  It's in great shape besides some crayon drawings by someone named Julia :o)
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    Nice!  Yes, my DD is absolutely loving the play kitchen.  I have to put in a plug for the dish set from Green Toys (not the tea set, the dish set).  Nice colors, perfect size for her little hands, not too clattery when she drops them on the wood floor.  Plus they are food safe and dishwasher safe, if she wants to have tea parties with real food when she gets older.  Plus recycled and made in the US!
    I swear I don't work for them.  I'm just really happy!  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, god, having unionized teachers at our center would be the worst thing, ever!  For me, management, but I also actually think for the teachers - they would lose many rights they now take for granted.  But I know others feel differently about unionizing.

Actually, they can join one of the unions already - can't remember which one.  And every once in a while the unions get all motivated to try to get members and start hovering outside childcare centers in DC.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

We are a family of Miracle Blanket users.  DD was in it till about 4-5 months of age.  I used to wrap her up as tight as could be and she was so happy. 

HAHA on the music.  I always sang "All the single ladies" to DD.  The beat was good and it always made her smile.  To this day she still loves that song.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

We have both the Halo and Swaddle Me velcro blankets and DD doesn't like them, although she was and still is a peanut, so I think they felt too lose to her, or too big. She LOVES the Aden and Anais. She has also busted out of the velcro ones...maybe we didn't do them tight enough.

When do you stop swaddling? I am looking forward to just using the sleep sacks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]We have both the Halo and Swaddle Me velcro blankets and DD doesn't like them, although she was and still is a peanut, so I think they felt too lose to her, or too big. She LOVES the Aden and Anais. She has also busted out of the velcro ones...maybe we didn't do them tight enough. When do you stop swaddling? I am looking forward to just using the sleep sacks!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I've heard you are supposed to stop when LO can break out of the swaddle and/or roll over. For some babies though it might be sooner than that, if they start to not like it anymore. My DD sleeps best swaddled, but she frequently gets one hand up by her face to attempt to suck on it. A few times she's gotten an entire arm out. I know that means we should stop, but her sleeping unswaddled means DH and I don't sleep because of her squirming and grunting.