August Infants and Toddlers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: August Infants and Toddlers

Poppy - I'm a big fan of trusting your gut, if that helps any...

I just got home from Baby Cafe. It turns out that my "lazy nurser" has a posterior tongue tie. I couldn't believe it. I'd had two different LCs look in his mouth and not see anything. The LC tonight actually felt around his mouth and found it. I'm so mad! If the LC I was seeing since he was a month old had done that, think of where we would be! I'm also a little mad at myself for not going to Baby Cafe sooner. I'm going to call the dentist she recommended tomorrow and get an appointment to be evaluated. She said that he's a little old to relearn how to breastfeed, but I have to try it. Even if he never breastfeeds again, I don't want him to have speech problems in the future. 

I can't wait to call our pedi tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Well, we couldn't have handled that worse. DH and I didn't get a chance to talk about it at all because he had a friend over from 4-10pm yesterday. I mentioned this morning to MIL that I would rather they stay home, but didn't go into detail (mainly because I am terrible in these conversations, and didn't know how to word it in a way that wouldn't make her feel like I don't trust her). I didn't realize, which DH knew but forgot to tell me, that she wanted him to text her yesterday with the decision, and that she was going to get up extra early this morning to go grocery shopping and bring a cooler of stuff to our house to bring up to lake. So she is upset. Ugh.

Chiclet - don't beat yourself up! It sounds like this was hard to find. Good that you know now! I hope you get some helpful info from the dentist. I didn't know dentists deal with these things!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Oh Poppy-sorry to hear that! Could you try and call her back and say you understand she's upset, and explain your rationale? Or would that make it worse at this point?

Chicklet-at least you now know! very frustrating though! Good luck getting it fixed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy - Ugh, that sucks! But try not to beat yourself up over it. You were right to be worried, you were busy, and you had a miscommunication. They're your kids, and you get to make the call. Hopefully she'll get over it soon. In the meantime, hopefully this is better than the worry you would be dealing with if they had both gone!

Chiclet - Baby Cafe is great. They kept me nursing (although supplementing) through 6 mos and with all of DS' quirks in that area, I doubt I'd have made it more than a few weeks. They don't give up on anyone, and, while it's awesome and supportive, it can also result in your running after every possible solution. Just make sure you keep perspective on what feels comfortable/reasonable for you. 

FWIW, my experience on the tongue tie: The LC at Baby Cafe found a tongue tie that my pedi hadn't found either. It was much earlier, probably when DS was about 3 or 4 weeks old, and we took him to the ENT to have it clipped. It wasn't a big deal at all to do, but it wasn't the panacea I'd hoped for. He still had the exact same nursing issues after. I only share this because, if it took so many people to find it, it's probably not a significant tie and may not help to have it clipped. As the ENT will probably tell you, a lot of ties go away on their own (they tear gradually as the LO uses his tongue more and more). In any case, I don't really regret having DS' clipped, but just be prepared that it may not be totally necessary/may not help. 

AFM - Thanks for all the advice on dealing with my dad. He is amazing with DS and generally very well-meaning, so the passive-aggressive stuff is manageable. I find with my dad, the best approach is to be very vocal about my choices. So when he was over last weekend and I gave DS a big piece of banana to eat, I told my dad flat out that I was giving him a bigger piece b/c that's how he prefers to eat it and he's good at taking small bites. Dad seemed fine, so we'll see. And to his credit, he will recognize when he's being ridiculous. He was sitting with me while I gave DS dinner on Tuesday and, as I put some bites of sandwich on the tray, asked me if it was too hot. I just looked at him until he started laughing and saying "Okay, I know, I know!" 

We're heading to the beach with my family this weekend, which I'm sure will bring out a whole new level of overprotectiveness in my dad. He was legendary for not letting any relative take me more than a few feet away from him when we'd stay there when I was a baby/toddler. My mom finally had to tell him, regarding a very responsible aunt who wanted to take me for a walk "Her kids are still alive, you know!" 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ok, confession time. I said no, but then MIL was so upset that we ended up letting them go. They've been there ever since. DH went up around noon today to hang for a while then bring them home. Everyone is alive. But I am scarred from what an ordeal it was. Probably a lot of it my own doing. I will say, DH says both kids are doing great and having a great time.

On the positive side, DH and I ended up having dinner out and going to see The Conjuring with movie passes we've had for about 2 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Poppy-sounds like it worked out okay! You got some time with DH, and some confidence in your MIL. Sorry you felt so much pressure, would have been nicer if it happened more naturally!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

How are you doing a couple of days removed from the whole situation, Poppy? 

Chiclet - at least they found it.  Where do you go from here?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Nov - Thanks for asking. We have an appointment with a dentist who can use a laser to release DS's tongue (in 15 days)! From what I understand, he'll evaluate it and if he decides that it needs to be cut, he'll do it right away. There was a page in the paperwork they sent me with questions about breastfeeding problems. I was impressed with that. I've also read that a few visits to the chiropractor will help DS release his jaw once his tongue is clipped. I hope it's a cure-all, but to Arcain's point, it may not be. 

And then maybe a scathing letter to the LC who practically called DSS on me for not feeding DS enough when she missed his congenital problem with feeding!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

That sounds promising.  Maybe don't send the letter - but it'll sure feel great to write it!  I have a great chiro that also sees babies and kids if you need a rec.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I would send a letter, revised to remove the "scathing" tone, of course, to the LC and cc the director.  Big time misses like that should NOT go without any attention being called to them.  Who knows who else she'll impact like this, and it sounds like a review of training regarding this issue is in order.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

We have our 4 month appointment at the end of the month. The LC works with our pedi very closely (the group she runs is in his office and they are credentialed at the same hospital). I plan on giving him an earful and seeing what he says. I hope that he'll handle it, but I would absolutely write a letter if necessary. It's not like I sat in a cave with him. We were at that group every week, getting beaten up over DS's lack of weight gain and all the things I should do differently (as you all know). When the new LC described all the side effects of tongue tie, she basically described our last two months. How did the other LC not pick up on any of that?! She's been at this for 20 years. You'd think she'd have seen a posterior tongue tie once or twice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicklet, I'd be so mad, too...sorry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

A friend of mine's daughter also had a tongue tie - the doctor looked at it, and then just did it right then while my friend held her daughter!  Just a quick cut with scissors, knife, something (didn't ask) and it was done - and she nursed her right afterwards for comfort.  So I'd really try to get it handled my the dentist - I'd hate to wait until my chlid was 2 yrs old to discover that it DID affect his speech, which you honestly won't know until your child is 2 yrs old.  Just get it handled now, it won't affect speech, and maybe it will help with nursing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  I haven't logged in in over a week and am trying to get caught up.  So much going on!

Chiclet - so sorry about the tongue tie and the fact that everyone else seemed to miss it.  My DD has a slight one too and it hasn't impacted her nursing or anything, but one of the LCs at the South Shore Hospital breastfeeding support group diagnosed it.  I would have never known.  My pedi said it is minimal and won't be an issue, but it is something I'm definitely going to stay on top of.  Hope you can get DS's taken care of soon by the dentist.

Poppy - sorry you had to go through all that stress with your kids being by the water with your MIL.  I totally understand where you were coming from.  I'm a person who worries - probably too much so and things like that would definitely make me uneasy.  I'm glad that it worked out in the end, but sorry that you had all that stress.  Maybe it is the society we live in where we hear all the day's terrible news from around the country and around the world from every possible media outlet in seconds - but with all the stories out there I swear I'm never letting my daughters out of my sight until they are 20!

I hope everyone else is having a good week.  I'm trying to hang on to these last few days of summer and these last few days of my maternity leave.  DD2 will be 12 weeks old this coming weekend and I'm starting to get a little sad about going back to work.  DH is going to take a 2-month paternity leave to be home with her, so we don't have to transition her to daycare just yet.  Still makes me sad though that just when she is starting to get to be a fun little person and show her personality I have to go back to work! 

We had a successful trip to StoryLand a couple weeks ago!  The weather held out and we had a fantastic time!  DD1 (3 yrs old) had an absolute blast.  That is the perfect age in my opinion for a place like that.  She was tall enough to go on every single ride (have to be 36 inches) as long as one of us went with her and she has no fear at all!  Went on the roller coaster 6 times!  And on the log flume 3 times!  She is a total daredevil and as they said in Top Gun, she has a "need for speed"!  DD2 did welll too.  She was happy in the bjorn or the stroller and I was pleasantly surprised that StoryLand has nursing rooms near every bathroom building.  I also think that for now, the "princess" craze has not hit my DD.  She liked Cinderella's castle, but had more fun running up the hill than actually seeing Cinderella.  Wanted nothing to do with her!  In the gift shop I told her she could pick out one thing and she bypassed all the girly stuff and wanted a StoryLand truck.  Too funny.  She's not a tomboy by any stretch, but luckily not too into the "princess" thing right now either.  Not that that's a bad thing - just don't want her to be too obsessed with anything right now at this age.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I do and I don't feel better about it all. I'm glad everything went well, but don't enjoy the "I told you so" vibe coming from everyone.

Chiclet - I absolutely agree with you that you should talk to your pedi about this. Maybe it will prompt them to look for this issue moving forward.

ALS - great update! I'm sorry you're headed back to work soon, but how great that your DH can take those 2 months off. It will make your re-entry so much easier, not having to also be dealing emotionally and logistically with transitioning DD into daycare. I think we will probably do Storyland next year... would you say it would be fun for a 2 year old, or would you recommend waiting until 3?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - I know what you mean.  Plus, now it will be all, "oh, it was fine last time!" :\

ALS - hi!  Good luck with back to work.  I went back last week and it was SO hard to leave DS.  He's so sweet, and I feel like I can really appreciate how fleeting babyhood is this second time around.  I see how big DD is and how little I can really remember of those baby days... bittersweet for sure.

My DD is also not into princesses... my position is she can discover them if she wants, and have that stuff if she requests it, but I will admit that I get annoyed when the gifts she receives are princess-y.  On the other hand, it's all been ignored after day 1, and then gets mysteriously shifted to the cradles 2 crayons box along with the other five million ignored toys we don't need!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi again. 

Poppy - regarding StoryLand... I think a 2 year old would love it too.  As for the rides, probably depends on your child's personality as to whether they'd like certain ones or not.  Also, more dependent on height than age for what they'll be able to go on.  My DD is 37.25 inches, so she just made it.  I would recommend going at 2 years old and even again at 3.  Another bonus is that I think kids under 3 are free!  So if you go before their 3rd birthday it could be worth it ($$)!

Med - thanks for the sentiments about going back to work.  I know I'm lucky to be able to take 13 weeks and even luckier that DH can trade in his sick time for family leave time.  That's how he gets his 2 month paternity leave.  He did it with DD1 too and it made it easier for me to go back to work knowing he was home with her.  He is a real "hands-on" dad and I'm so lucky for that.  I love that my girls get to bond with daddy that way.  Does still make me sad though to know that this is 99.9% for sure my last baby and thus, the last time I'll ever be at home for any extended period of time with my kids.  You are so right - the baby phase goes by so fast!!  And I don't even like the newborn phase! ;)  DD2 was 6 lbs 1 oz at birth and at 11.5 weeks she is 10 lbs 13 oz (had her at the dr today and weighed her).  Crazy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

ALS - It's awesome that your DH can take time with the girls. I remember thinking the same thing as you. I wish I could take 3 months to hang out with DS now that he's all smiles. It looks like we'll be in the Storyland neighborhood with friends in November. We might try to hit the Children's Museum up there, but any other advice you might have for two 6 month olds, I'm all ears! :-)

I just came back from Baby Cafe. The LC showed me "pace" feedings, where you hold the bottle perpendicular so the baby has to work at it rather than just let gravity do the milk transfer. Has anyone used this? DS seems to swallow a bit of air while he's doing it.

Also, does anyone know where to rent the Symphony pump? Is there a hand pump you can also recommend?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... also re: Storyland.  We went this year and last year... so 1.10yrs and 2.10yrs.  DS enjoyed both times.  There are rides that they can do with a parent regardless of height (riding tractors and whirling whales for example).  Last year DS got to "drive" the tractors even at his young age and he made us go back 3 times.  In fact, he remembered them this year. 

Chiclet -  I got mine from Cambridge Medical Supply.  Just remember to check your insurance as most pumps are now covered in some way with doctor's notes.  In fact, I called my insurance company (BCBS) recently and they said I even qualify for another new one as long as my doc writes a perscription for it. (and they rented, and then bought me one for DS1 already).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I have the Medela Pump N Style that my insurance paid for. The LC recommended I rent the Symphony since I'm doing so much pumping. I didn't think to check back with Cambridge Medical Supply. Thanks!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Chiclet--we do bottle feedings that way (baby upright, bottle horizontal) per the recommendation I got from an Isis webinar on pumping.  She does swallow some air that way.  The idea as I understood was to avoid creating "flow rate preference" where they like the bottle better bc the milk comes out faster.  She can still guzzle the bottle really fast though...  We're using Dr. Brown's bottles fwiw. I don't know about where to get a Symphony, but you can ask your insurance for a list of medical equipment companies that they work with.  I think I also went with Cambridge Medical SUpply, if I recall correctly, but I have the Medela freestyle, not the symphony.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - I had briefly rented a Symphony through my hospital after DD.  I returned it to them via their outpatient lactation center.  This was Winchester Hospital, but maybe other hospitals have similar?

Interesting about the paced bottle feedings.  I am stressing about supply currently since my return to work.  DS (almost 4 months) has taken 12 ounces at daycare pretty consistently, but last Tuesday when my mom watched him, he drank 16 ounces AND that was with me giving him an extra feeding around 9:30 AM because my mom didn't come until later.  I didn't pump anything near that so now I feel like I need to do a lot of extra pumpings and eat a lot of oatmeal.  Not sure why he took so much more with my mom.  Ideas?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Med, could she have spilled a lot?  I remember when my MIL first started feeding DS, she never really shoved the bottle into his mouth, which let a lot of milk dribble out the sides.  Of course, pumped milk is gold so we remedied that quickly.  I also recall lots of ups and downs on the ounces barring some kind of growth spurt.  Seem to recall 4 mths being a big growth spurt... much more milk, but then back to what was "normal" intake after a week or so.  Heck, one time my DS even went on a milk strike for a couple days.  Think about how you eat... probably much more on some days and much less on others.  Just do your best.  I found when I stressed about pumping I got much less (and I was a bad pumper to begin with!). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe it was a fluke, or he generally eats more than you realize, or he has started a growth spurt, or he ate less than you think or further away time wise for the feeding before that one...one spike in a graph is hard to figure out; you'll have to see if a pattern emerges before you go too far trying.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Med - My DS had a few hungry days this week. I think it was Tuesday he ate every 2 hours! He also slept a ton. I don't know if this is a scheduled growth spurt or not. He seems longer to me today but who knows.

DH just called me to tell me that he left work because he's not feeling well and then he threw up on the side of 93. Yikes! Should I be worried about keeping DS away from him until he gets better or does it even matter at this point? DH does his 2 morning feedings and gets him dressed so there's no chance that he wasn't exposed. My parents weren't feeling well yesterday and my mom actually threw up too. We were with them Tuesday night. My mom thought it was something they ate, but now I'm not so sure. There was a stomach bug around DS's daycare two weeks ago but, miraculously, he didn't get it (his teacher and 2 classmates did). I don't think I can handle it if DS gets sick! :-)

Sections
Shortcuts