baby #2 and braxton-hicks contractions questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

baby #2 and braxton-hicks contractions questions

1. Baby monitors - #1 is 20 months old and I love having a monitor in her room to be able to check on her sleeping (or when she wakes up too early in the morning and I'm hoping she'll go back to sleep)... will 2 baby monitors interfere with one another? I'm thinking we should buy a second one when we're ready to put #2 in his/her own room.

2. "gift from baby" ideas - We've got 2 weeks till our due date... I like the idea of having the new baby give a gift to DD - but she's kind of young to get the idea (but she loves gifts) any ideas what sort of gift the baby should give her?

3. Hospital visits - do you think it's a big deal to have DD be the first person (other than my husband and I, obviously) to meet the new baby? Will I seem like a jerk if I tell extended family (which I'm hoping very few people will come to the hospital this time, I imagine only my SIL and her kids will come) that we want DD to meet the baby first? Furthermore, should I even bother having DD come to the hospital and then have to leave with me still there - I imagine she'll freak out and not want to leave.

4. And lastly, I've been having some strong BH contractions the past week - I don't remember what the last couple of weeks were like before I went into labor last time... did your BH contractions really pick up the last week or so? Sometimes I even feel achiness in my hips like I did when I went into real labor last time. I'm wondering if this means I might go early or if I have 2+ more weeks of these contractions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Re: baby #2 and braxton-hicks contractions questions

Benice - I don't have answers to your first 3 questions because I only have one child.  But, for #4 - my BH contractions definitely picked up in intensity at the end.  I think I was probably getting really strong ones for a week or two though (I ended up being 11 days late).  I distinctly remember going on walks and having to stop when I got really strong BH contractions and just bend over and breathe through them.  So, I do think it means you are nearing the end, but I can't remember exactly how long I got them for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hmm, as for #3 - we're in the same situation but DS is a bit older.  We'll have my mom bring him over when she comes (right after baby is born depending on time of day) and then hubby can go home with DS if he freaks and my mom can hang with me.  And then my mom can switch off and DS can come back to the hospital.  But I'm lucky that my mom is very close to the hospital and so are we so logistically we'll work out fine.  We're not having any visitors or extended family until the baby is at least a week old or more.  I'm kind of paranoid about pertussis right now - I'm making my mom get a booster shot!

And my BH are much stronger with #2.  I'm only 29 weeks compared to you and wow they do hurt!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

As for the monitor thing you would need to have one with multiple channels and put the part in the kids rooms on different channels. I think they do make monitors that are able to be used in multiple rooms.  A friend has some sort of video monitor set up for her girls.  I think she has to switch something to see each room though.

Your DD will never know if she is the first to meet new baby.  New baby won't remember who she met first.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You know your DD and what is best for her.  You also know your extended family.  My DS was way to excited to have time with his grandparents to care about the new baby or me but he was 3.5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I have no idea about most of these things because I have twins in the same room and I'm not having more kids.  My night nanny told me she had 3 monitors by her bed for her 5 kids so I'm sure it's possible to have more than one without too much interference.
    Ask your hospital about their policy with young kids in the postpartum area.  Some hospitals discourage it because little kids often have a virus or colds etc.  I agree I'd be more worried about having her leave the hospital while you're still there than having her be the first to meet #2.  You all can have a grand reunion at home together.
    My mom was in the hospital for 4 days with me and she sent a present to my older brother every night with my dad.  by the time she brought me home he couldn't wait to meet me! (BTW - it was just little stuff)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Not sure about the monitors as we do not use any.  For the visit I had DS on Weds and DD did not visit until Saturday.  I had a c-section and wanted to make sure that I was up, feeling good, and looking like myself when she saw me.  I thought she would be scared if she saw me with IV's etc.  For a gift we got a couple of books and a balloon for her.  We had those at the hospital waiting for when she visited and she loved it.  The hospital also had a nourishment center with sherbet, ice cream, etc - I took her down there to pick one out and drink milk from the carton - that was all very exciting to her.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We have a Sony BabyCall monitor for the kids' room.  When some friends came to visit with their daughter (who's just about a year younger than DH and DD), they set up their Sony BabyCall monitor while she was sleeping in the guest room without any problem--it just needed to be on a different channel.  We didn't have any problems with interference between the two.  It's also nice b/c it has a "voice-activated" mode, so we only hear it if the kids are crying or talking (the cat meowing also activates it).  You can also put it in the regular mode where you hear everything, but we hardly ever use it that way.

I like the "gift from baby" idea.  Maybe an "I'm the big sister" T-shirt?

I got nothin' on the other stuff :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I have the video monitors for my girls, I dont run interference with one another and they share a room.  Not sure what kinda monitor you have, but mine has 2 channels and with the switch of a button I can see them both.

Since your DD is so young, I would get her something small or something that you know she would really love.  My DD was 13 months when her little sister was born, we didnt get her anything, but if she wasnt so sick leading up to the birth I probably would have bought her a small stuffed animal or a lovey.

I was so bad about makin sure DD got to be the 1st person besides me and DH.  I made my DH promise me he wouldnt call anyone till I was in my room and I knew DD was on her way.  To my surprise my FIL showed up unexpectedly (not DH fault), but I love him so much it didnt seem to matter (maybe all the drugs from my c section HAHA) and I was also happy to see his face when his grand-daughters met for the 1st time.  Its not unreasonable to want this for yourself and family and truthfully its not a hard request to understand.  :)  What I didnt want was a room full of people to overwhelm DD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Part of me wants DD to see the baby first, but logistically, if I go into labor during the week - there might not be an ideal time for her to come visit anyway - my husband will most likely go into work and my mom will be watching her at our house (and my mom isn't really interested in lugging her to the hospital). Part of me also wants to get the visit with SIL over with - which would be better/easier/hopefully shorter if it happened at the hospital so I can have time alone to just recooperate & adjust. Ofcourse, she visited at the hospital last time, but that didn't stop her from randoming trying to stop by during the first weeks after I came home from the hospital to come see the baby.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

#1--One of my friends has the video monitor (maybe sunshine or something?) that has 2 channels and 2 cameras so you can use it on 2 kids in 2 different rooms.  

#2--I think that anything should work since she's pretty young to understand it all.  How about a bag with a lot of tissue paper in it?  She might be just as excited over that!  :-)  Or maybe a bike.  I think that she really would like a giant pink obnoxious bike with training wheels.  Or a Dora tricycle?  Really.  Do you want any?  Takers?

#3--It was special to me to see DD's face when she saw DS for the first time.  She came with the in-laws and I was happy enough to have the in-laws there to see the exchange.  For my friend in #1 above, we watched her DD when her other DD was born and we brought her into the hospital as the first visitor (although her MIL showed up right at the same time too) and her first DD could have cared less about the baby.  They are 23 months apart.  It was kind of anti-climatic, so if you do have DD go in, just brace yourself for the fact that it might not be that exciting to her.  So technically, we also were the first to meet DD#2 of my friend, but we left quickly thereafter to give them some family bonding time.  

For me, DD did have a hard time leaving the hospital after meeting her brother.  She wanted me to come home then and there and had to be bribed (thank you munchkins!) to leave.  It was heartbreaking at that point too, but I'm really glad that she got to meet him like that.  It's also hard because DD expected to be able to be picked right up and to act normally, but technically, you're not supposed to lift heavy objects right away.  At the hospital we were able to control it a little bit better.

#4--I actually felt some of the BH contractions with #2.  With #1, I didn't even know I was having them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

As for gifts my 22 month olds love:
    BOOKS - they love getting new books. Sandra Boynton seems to be the favorite author right now. I read a lot of Barnyard Dance and Pajama Time these days.
    Fisher-Price barn is a favorite toy.
    DS LOVES the munchkin Magic Mozart cube - but DD isn't so interested.
    My mother got them a grocery cart from little tykes and it's a huge hit.
    BTW - they get excited if I bring home a new sippy cup - the Munchkin ones with the biult in straws are the new favorite. So you can probably send just about anything home with DH "from the baby".
    Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Unfortunately, I think DD has inherited a gene prone toward materialism - she's not fooled by packaging - except the air bag things in amazon boxes that make a huge pop sound.

I can't imagine either of your kids receiving obnoxious toys... heh heh. I'm almost dreading DD's 2nd birthday party. SIL will most likely get her a tricycle (without talking to us) and then keep asking us if she's using it yet.

The balloon idea sounds really good and I'm thinking it would be best to just wait until we bring the baby home for DD to meet him/her - she's definitely going to flip her dooty when she has to leave me at the hospital.

In Response to Re: baby #2 and braxton-hicks contractions questions:
    [QUOTE] How about a bag with a lot of tissue paper in it?  She might be just as excited over that!  :-)  Or maybe a bike.  I think that she really would like a giant pink obnoxious bike with training wheels.  Or a Dora tricycle?  Really.  Do you want any?  Takers?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Ooh, a sippy cup is a good idea!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Benice - I'm glad you think so because after I posted it, I was at the grocery store and thought, "Benice wants to get something meaningful for the big sister present, not a stupid cup. What a dolt you are Lily."
    But, I do think at this age it can be something small and inexpensive and she will be just as happy.
    And my kids really do go crazy for a new sippy.  DD spent this morning saying, "yella cup, yella cup. Dak red." because she wanted the new yellow sippy my mother had given her and she wanted her brother (Jack) to have his new red one. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

that's funny, lily. Isn't it true though, that the more thought we put into getting a gift for them it means they totally won't appreciate it at all? We have to think like babies! :)

In Response to Re: baby #2 and braxton-hicks contractions questions:
    Benice - I'm glad you think so because after I posted it, I was at the grocery store and thought, "Benice wants to get something meaningful for the big sister present, not a stupid cup. What a dolt you are Lily." But, I do think at this age it can be something small and inexpensive and she will be just as happy. And my kids really do go crazy for a new sippy.  DD spent this morning saying, "yella cup, yella cup. Dak red." because she wanted the new yellow sippy my mother had given her and she wanted her brother (Jack) to have his new red one. :)
    Posted by misslily

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

DD spent this morning saying, "yella cup, yella cup. Dak red." because she wanted the new yellow sippy my mother had given her and she wanted her brother (Jack) to have his new red one. :)
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

Miss Lily!!!!!!

What wonderful language your daughter is developing, and she's still only 22 months old and she's hearing impaired, to boot!!! AND a twin, too, so they were probably early... (although I honestly don't remember if they were preemies).....  you & your husband should be so THRILLED by that language explosion! 

Way to keep those hearing aids IN and the language coming!

Congrats, and so cool!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi Benice,
    I'm obviously only on my first pregnancy, but since we're close in dates I figured I'd answer your Braxton-Hicks question.  Yes, I have been getting tons of them in the last week or so, and now have a crampy feeling associated with them that I never had before.  They only last a few seconds (the hardness) whereas the cramps last a little bit longer.  They usually go away when I change position.  I don't know what it means...but give that I'm less than 2 weeks away from my due date, I just assume that everything going on means something will happen soon-ish!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Hi Benice....We brought my older son to build a bear so that he could pick out his own "baby" a week before I had his brother (he was 23 months).  We also brought a gift with us to the hospital (for the life of me I can't remember what it was!  How bad is that?!)  I never had issues with the monitors.  My older son did see his brother first...only because it worked out that way - not due to specific planning.  He did not like the hospital...he spent a short time at the hospital and then went home with his nana and papa...it was way too much for him.  I had a c-section...so I didn't come home right away...and he was not happy with me.  I tried to carve out time for just him after I was home.  Good luck!

Sections
Shortcuts