Baby carriers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Baby carriers

Does anyone have suggestions for baby carriers for petite women? I'm 5' and slim, and the Ergo we have won't even adjust enough to fit around my shoulders. It's great for DH, who's 5'11" and uses it all the time. My awesome doula made me this sling wrap but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I'm not so into the wraps; it's like the most perplexing form of origami. Also, does any place exist where you can try on carriers? Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: Baby carriers

I know they help you try on things at Isis.  I'm not sure you're going to be able to find anything more structured than a wrap if you're petite. the height seems to make a bigger difference than anything.  If you bring your baby with you they help you practice getting her in and out of the equipment and all that at Isis.  I've foudn the people at Buy Buy Baby more knowledgeable, at least in the schpiels to sell things, than they are at Babys R Us. I used a Moby and even though it seemed awkward at first it got really easy really quickly. 

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

There is also a "Boston Babywearers" group.  http://www.bwiboston.com/meetings.html

They have meetings, and they have like a lending library of carriers and you can try them out at the meetings and also maybe borrow them to take home?  Not sure if there is a little rental fee or not.  I've never been to a meeting, but I have used their site for links and info.  GL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Isis is great. They have lots of differnt options to show you and will let you either use your own baby or a weighted doll. I went when I was still pregnant with DD, and they got me in a moby with the weighted baby doll and had me all set-then DS had to go to the bathroom-well that wrap (with my huge belly) held up while I helped him. Admittedly I didn't buy from them, but I found out that I liked the moby wrap the best. Awkward at first, but definitely the most comfrotable one-I'm 5'2" so on the shorter side. Only problem was that all that fabric wrapped around you makes you hot.

I've also borrowed a friend's ergo when DD was older (8 months) and man-that was great! it may fit you better when the baby is bigger and fills it out more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We used the moby wrap and the K'Tan when they were newborns (K'Tan is way easier than a wrap - easy even for DH, but he had to have his own and I had to have mine because K'Tan are not one size fits all) and now we use the Ergo (we can either put the 15 month old in, which DH sometimes does to settle her down, or have our 3 year old backpack style when he has run out of steam and we are too far for him to walk to the car).

We used the K'Tan for the first 5-6 months, then both kids got too big for us to deal with K'Tan... and I second KAM's statement that when the baby gets bigger, the ergo may work better (and they do have a few different models, and I noticed that they are not exactly the same size since we have two different models - one for the car for emergencies and daycare drop off/pickup).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I'm 4' 10" and I'll join the Moby chorus. I used that for both boys when they were newborns. It just takes a little practice to get the hang of it. (Also, I had a friend recommend putting it on before getting in the car if I was going to use it at a store, the mall, etc, so I wasn't dealing with wrapping in a parking lot, etc. ) as the kids got older, I used a hand me down Bjorn. I had no issues with adjusting the straps and getting a comfortable fit. Used it until the boys were walking. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I'm on the petite side, and I really liked the Baby Bjorn.  It offered soft but structured support that was really comfortable for me and my kids.  I liked that the kids could face inward when they're tiny, then be turned to face out when they got a little bigger.  We've outgrown them but I see that they have some newer models that offer a waist belt, which seems like a good feature, and a back carrying option.

I tried the slings and wraps and never felt comfortable with them. It just didn't feel as natural and ergonomic as i thought they would.

Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goosy. Show goosy's posts

Isis is the place to try different kinds of slings and baby carriers.

For first child, I didn't find anything I like and I just used a 4 yard fabric and just sling it from the hip to the shoulders and tie a knot at the end. I would adjust the knot as baby got bigger. He is in second grade now. How time flies!

For second child, I got the Baby K'tan and I really liked it. The sizes is specific to your body size. Even dear hubby figured it himself how to wear it. Used it till baby was about a year old.

Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Magic Beans also has a great selection that you can try on, as does Buy Buy Baby.  We got the Stokke MyCarrier and we really like it. It is easy to put on and very supportive. We liked that there was nothing you had to latch behind your back--it just goes on like a backpack and all the clasps are in the front. Our runner up pick was the Beco Gemini.  

My DH refused to try any sort of wrap carrier bc he's seen babies in the ER who fell out of them when the fabric got caught and the knot came loose.  Not sure how big a risk that is, but he liked the security of the MyCarrier with all of its catch-proof latches.

We didn't like the Bjorn--it seemed less comfortable to us and doesn't maintain the "frog leg" hips positioning for baby. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Another vote for the Ergo from a 5 foot 2 inches girl. They do sell a few different models, one of which does adjust for a petite waiste. Ditto others suggestions of going to Isis. I will say that the Ergo works best on older babies so you may need to reassess your needs in a fee more months. I used a moby wrap until my DD was about 4 months and then switched to the Ergo. Still use it and she's almost 17 months!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am 5'4" and I also like the Ergo but it sounds like it's not working for you, WPP.  I will say (for anyone else reading) that you don't have to fasten the upper buckle behind your back.  The lady at Isis made me feel like an idiot because I couldn't reach it to clip it.  That was unfortunate, but then I found out I can leave it clipped and loosen the shoulder straps.  Then I shoot the baby in from the top and then pull the shoulder straps tight.

We also used the K'Tan when the babies were tiny.  It was pretty good, and they seemed to like it, plus we let another friend borrow it who is *very* petite and Size 0 tiny, and she loved it.  So that might be a good fit for you.  But I didn't find it supportive enough as they got heavier, even though the pictures show all kinds of huge kids in it.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts