Baby shoes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Baby shoes

I will start by saying I am not a shopper, and most of DD's clothes came in the way of gifts. She is transitioning into a new class at daycare, and they will go outside everyday. I've never put her in shoes before and need to get some (hopefully today at lunch). They suggested Robeez but they seem kind of expensive. Any suggestions for knock offs? Do most children's clothing stores sell shoes too? I am in Downtown Crossing so I will check out Payless and DSW. I think there is a Children's Place too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Re: Baby shoes

Not sure how old your DD is but I have as success finding shoes for the kids at Payless (Target too but they unfortunately aren't in Downtown Crossing).  For DD1 I went to StrideRite and got her $40 shoes that were great but kids go out grow shoes almost as quickly as they out grow clothes.

My one recommendation if she has never worn shoes is try to get shoes that open really wide like you can lift the tongue up out of the way and get her feet in and then velcro.  I hate putting shoes on for the first little while since they want to curl their toes. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I would take her with you and have her foot measured.  How old is she?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

Hi Liv,

I was in children's place on Friday and they have some great, comfortable shoes now - all for under $20 (the ones I looked at). We also got her sneakers at babies r us. I think most kids stores sell shoes too (Gymboree, baby gap, Janie and Jack, to name a few, do). I have never looked at Target or DSW for shoes for DD. We got a couple pairs of Robeez for gifts and I didn't really like them as the cut off circulation at her ankles. I would suggest shopping with your DD along if possible so you can try them on her. To me there doesn't look to be a difference between size 5 and 6, for example but the 5 fits her perfect and 6 is way too big...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Is she a new walker?  I've had many shoe folks explain that new walkers still need fairly soft but sturdy shoes.  So many fairly inexpensive baby shoes are really way too hard and don't allow them to flex their feet.  I have had great luck with StrideRite and their new walker shoes.  They are more expensive, however, their website has great sales and they have several outlets.  You can get shoes from $19-25 that I think are a good price.  She definitely needs to be measured though... which several have already said above.  I have been given several hand-me-down shoes that look small enough to fit but are totally not the right size once we actually try them on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We just went through this, actually.  My DD is 18 months and walking; not sure how old your DD is.  I will say that Robeez are a good starter shoe, but if she's walking outside, they're not the best b/c the soft soles will let water through if it's raining or the ground is soggy. 

I recommend getting her measured at Stride Rite and perhaps springing for a pair of Robeez -- they're spendy but they hold up.  Then prowl Marshalls, Zulily and other bargain places/sites for good shoes cheap.  I've heard good things about See Kai Run as sort of a bridge between Robeez and hard-soles. 

And when it comes time to put shoes on baby #2 (a baby that exists only in theory), I will get some hard-soled shoes on him/her MUCH earlier.  I know they say that barefoot or soft-soled is best, but the transition to hard soles has been tough on DD.  She doesn't like how they feel and cries and points at her feet like I've gone in for foot binding.  The shoes fit and are fine, she's just having a tough time getting used to them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The daycare said soft soled shoes are okay?  I don't know how old your DD is... we had to go from No Shoes Required to needing hard soled shoes for outdoors when we switched rooms.
    I think for soft soled shoes (like Robeez) it's not too bad to get the knock offs since the structure isn't an issue - the only negative I've heard about the knock offs is sometimes they don't stay on as well.
    If you're getting "real" shoes with a rubber sole, I echo the above to get her measured and maybe spend the $$ if you can to buy them from the store where the sales person sized her.
    We went to stride rite and went with their step 2 shoes when we needed rubber outdoor soles.  For the next pair, now that I know more about them, I'm probably going to watch for deals: Bobux, Pediped, See Kai Run, are all brands that people seem very fond of.  I also noticed last time that I was at the horror of the mall that they had lots of nice looking ones at Clarks - some on clearance.
    GC - my LO was the same way with the hard soled shoes at first.  She even cried in the shoe store.  The shoe store lady said it's normal.  And it has improved a lot since then, although we practiced every day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I just want to echo the Stride Rite comments. I know they can be $$, but I found two things that helped. One, try to buy what's on sale, even though it means less choice of color/style. There is always something on sale. Two, when they are little my kids get only one pair of shoes per size. I never had a pair of SR shoes fall apart before they were outgrown. Definitely can't say that about my DS's Target sneakers, though I did find Target's Robeez-style shoes to be just fine for babies. I buy plenty of kids' clothes at Target, Kohl's, consignment sales, etc. but shoes really are one thing I think you get what you pay for. Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I agree, you get what you pay for and for a new walker, it's probably worth the extra money to make sure you are getting a quality product that provides enough support on her developing feet.  We've bought almost all of DD's shoes Stride Rite brand purchased online (zappos carries them and striderite.com) or at marshalls/tj maxx, but, like others have said, I always go to a retail store first to have her feet measured (once I even had her measured at Nordstrom because I was at the mall anyway!)  It's so hard to guess her size - she was a 4W, then at the next time she was measured her foot had grown into a size 5 not wide and I  would have had no idea what to buy w/out getting measured.   The stage 2 stride right shoes worked great when she first learned to walk.  I'd avoid buying shoes from a store that is primarily offering shoes for how they look as opposed to proper foot development.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

If you are near North Reading check out Abbott Shoes on Main Street.  They are great and knowledgeable.  My DS is 11.5 and I buy his school shoes there.  He needs black leather with his uniform. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I love Pediped which you can get online as well as in stores.
    And we like Carter's. I got their first sneakers there when they were about 18 months old. Available both in stores and online.
    Babies R Us has shoes for toddlers too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You don't need to spend the maximum on designer shoes, but a good, measured fit and decent shoe design will not be cheap.  The cheapest options basically just meet the minimum requirements of calling something a "shoe" and will cause more problems than money you save.  StrideRite has been an industry leader known for quality for decades, and if people are still recommending it I'd try there first, I think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I now have my Saturday plans! She is going to be 1 this week. The daycare has a 12-18 mo old room which she started today. The teacher is the one who suggested Robeez. I think today she is outside in just her socks.  She is a beginner walker where she can push things around and cruise but hasn't taken solo steps. She just started standing on her own and gets all excited to practice her balancing. Good to know that I should get her measured and get a good pair. I don't mind spending the $ now that I know it's worth it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I think there's a Stride Rite outlet in Wrentham.  I've never been but a friend swears by it.  She says she goes and stocks up on whatever sizes are on sale.  Might be worth a look.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh my God, StrideRite on a Saturday is a waking nightmare.  Go as early as you can. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

GC, I just thought the same thing as the ones near me are in the malls. I hate malls, shopping centers, crowded parking lots and that is without trying to navigate with a baby stroller. I am working from home on Thursday so we may have to take a "lunch" break and try then. My in-laws are in North Reading so maybe a visit to that shoe store mentioned will be in the works too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Liv, Abbott's is great.  We've been going there for years.  They know their stuff.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

You can get Robeez at Marshalls/TJMaxx for a lot cheaper than the regular price.  You can also get the knockoffs at Target for a lot less money and they're practically the same. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

There's a Stride Rite outlet in the Arsenal Mall too...I've had great luck there and at the regular stride rite store.  Like someone else said, I buy one "good" pair of shoes that she wears most of the time...too important for her to have shoes that fit well at this stage.  They size them so they're a little big, and estimate that they should last about 3 months...for one item that she'll wear every day for 3 months, the $30-45 is worth it to me.

She's a girl, so soon enough she'll be stuffing her feet into pointy toed shoes, buying half a size too small because they're on sale and so cute, and otherwise torturing her feet!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We've also gotten great deals on Stride Rite shoes from Nordstroms. if you can get to a nordstroms rack they have the sale prices all year round.

I've also seen the socks with rubber soles at target-like a hybrid shoe. I'll probably get those for DD when she starts walking-but I've also bought some robeeze on sale over time.

I agree, spend the $$ on good shoes now (though shop on sales-if there is a sale buy one size up or two if you know the shoe will work for the next season). And one shoe per size is usually good. Maybe a cheap rain boot in there for the spring rains would be good too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

If they think robeez (or pediped) will work, then I'd go for those, or for knockoffs.  It sounds like she's in a playground vs. walking on the sidewalks, which probably (I'm guessing) means she is either walking on grass or that spongy playground material, both of which are easier on soft soled shoes than the sidewalk is.

As an almost walker, these first shoes she should be able to grip the floor, curl her toes, etc - that will help her learn to walk and she needs to grip.  Harder shoes will be harder for her to learn to walk in - they used to think those hard white shoes were the best for new walkers (we all had them!) but now they think barefeet are best for teaching them to learn the natural gait and help them balance.

THEN, her NEXT pair of shoes (which will probably be in 3 months) once she is a good, sturdy, walker, will have regular soles, not so soft, because then she can stay dry when she hits the sidewalk, puddles, etc. 

So those are my suggestions, for what they are worth - not as a mother but as someone who has infants and toddlers in shoes outside as a center director.

What I would GIVE to have a playground at our center.... such a concept having the babies go out to their own playground...sigh...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Just in case no one else has mentioned it Zappos has tons of great toddler shoes. Free shipping both ways. So once you know what size you need there is a huge selection. And if you're in doubt order a few pair and return the ones that don't fit for free.
    When my kids were 12-18 months I had them wear the Swedish Moccasins from Hanna Anderssen all the time. They are like a sock with a soft leather sole. They are also washable. My twins HATED real shoes at that age so this was what worked for us.
    Now at 2 1/2 we have all kinds of sneakers, rain boots (huge hit!) and one pair each of dress up shoes.
    Good luck

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Ladies - See Kai Run shoes are on Zulily today, mostly at about half price (although you do have to pay shipping, and NO returns!)
    So if you know the size, a great deal.  We are almost into the next size up, so I went nuts and got a pair that size in a season-neutral style.
    Happy Friday!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

New shoes - check!  We went to Stride Rite at the Burlington Mall and even on a Thursday afternoon it was busy. Grandma and Grandpa came up for her birthday and wanted to buy her 1st shoes. They were buy 1 get 1 half off so we got a current size and then the next size up. She measured a size 3.5 and we got a 4 and 4.5. So tiny! I would never have guessed to get shoes that small so good thing we got measured. It was a little annoying that all the shoes were white, pink or bedazzled. Luckily the girl found a pair of cute brown ones that weren't on display. Thanks for all the tips and advice!

The daycare has a great playground with different sections for different ages. I was a little shocked at how big my "baby" looked sitting outside playing. I was even more shocked at how filthy she was. Ha Ha.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on this milestone!  I think it's very sweet Grandma and Grampa wanted to buy her first pair of shoes.  

I have my first baby shoes; my mom bronzed them.

Sections
Shortcuts