Baby Sign Language

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

Baby Sign Language

I was just wondering if anyone on here had experience teaching their LO sign language. If so how early did you start and what signs did you start with?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Re: Baby Sign Language

We started around 9 months (in earnest -- a few stabs at signing earlier on) with the basics like, more, milk and eat.  I would look up signs online and downloaded My Smart Hands for my iphone.  Around 10-11 months he would start to really understand and at 12-13 months, he started signing back to us with more as his first sign.  He's 23 months and knows 20-30 signs and will put them together.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My brother and his wife used it with great success.  I think their kids were between 6 and 9 months, and they started with:

I have to be changed (same as I have to go to the bathroom)
    More
    All done
    Please 
    Thank you

They were able to communicate those things regularly, started talking before expected, and dropped the signing gradually on their own as their motor skills for speech developed and they didn't need to sign to communicate those words.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

You can start as early as you like to model simple signs....you'd be surprised how much babies pick up.  I think the above suggestions are great and starting with more, eat, drink, play, all done and please.

A great resource is the Baby Signing Time videos.  Pairs simple signs  with songs, visuals and a variety of kids that you can see the variation in signing.   I know that some libraries have these and will order them if you ask.  Kids love these videos and have picked up on them very quickly and the parents learn a lot from them too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We started really early -- maybe 5 or 6 months?-- with more, milk, hungry, all done.

She picked up pretty quickly, especially with more and all done.  She didn't do milk and hungry because her preferred sign for those was to try to take my shirt off or to nurse through it. 

We were going to do more signs but she ended up being extremely verbal.  By 8 months she was saying mum, dad, bye, hi, dog, cat, bird, and no.  She pretty much stopped signing because she preferred talking.
    But then, at 18 months, they must have pushed signing at daycare because she started signing again for things like "more" and "all done"

I think with future kids I'll definitely sign.  The only reason we stopped was because she started learning new words faster than we could learn new signs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Great thread.  DD is only 4.5 months, so I don't have experience with older babies, but I've started signing with her (just the same basics everyone has mentioned) and she is VERY interested in what I'm doing.  She really watches me.  So I can imagine that it won't take too long for her to start associating with what they mean.  It actually helps with the distractability while breastfeeding - helps get her back on track.