Beach fun - Questions!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Beach fun - Questions!

This lovely weather has me thinking of the beach. :) I have a few questions about gear that I'd like to hear thoughts on. Our LO will be between 10 months and 14 months during the time we could potentially be hitting the beach.

Sun shirts - I want to protect her as much as possible, but those rash guard style shirts seem like they would be really hot.  Are they worthwhile for babies?  Are there other, looser SPF shirts that would be more airy?

Sun shades - is it even worthwhile to try to keep a baby under a shade?  If so, is there anything that's better than the 50 pound umbrellas we used to have that still always blew away?

Swim diapers - my understanding is that these are to hold in solids, but liquids pass through freely... so if we're going to the beach in the car, would I put a regular diaper on her for the way there and then change her when we get there?  That seems like a huge PITA for a 15 minute car ride, but at the same time, a wet car seat would be, too.
    I'm thinking the cute one piece swimsuits I bought her might have been a mistake!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Re: Beach fun - Questions!

My kids wear rash guards and they don't complain about being hot.  They sell them for babies that are one piece.  I also would change into the swim diaper when you know you are going into the water.  They are expensive compared to regular diapers and more difficult to change.  Also, you do want a sunshade for her.  Either an umbrella or one of those tents they sell.  Check out the one step ahead catalog.  They have all of that stuff even if it is only for ideas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Re swim diapers - put on the swim diaper, then the suit and then a regular diaper over for the car ride.  Then remove the regular diaper when you get there.  Odds are that you it will be dry, but if not, it saves a wet carseat.  And two piece girl suits are MUCH easier :) 

If it's hot you may find the kids prefer the shade, even if they don't know why.  I find hats are key though, I am always throwing hats on the kids from very early on - beah, yard, playground, always.  DD is great about leaving hers on, DS is still getting used to the idea, whough did well with his Sox hat on Saturday (not to mention it looked adorable!!) 

We got a very lightweight umbrella that is like SPF 100 or something at CVS on clearance on summer.  I think it still has the blowing away issues but is very light, even 3yo DD can carry it.  I am still considering a tent thing though, and we never plan to spend the entire day there...we're morning ppl, so we go early and leave early afternoon so they nap in the car on the way home or to wherever we're headed next

have fun! Thanks for the sunny thoughts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I have always put rash guards on my kids; the once pieces when they were really little (at my pediatrician's recommendation). They don't have to be tight, and dry really quickly. When I first started using them 10 years ago there were only a few kids covered up, and not a ton of selection. Now you can buy them anywhere and lots of people wear them, so it doesn't look unusual. I like Lands' End and Mini Boden, but now you can get them at Old Navy, GAP, Target, etc. 

My kids don't mind them at all, and have never complained. We've even had a couple of long sleeved ones and when I asked (more than once) they said they don't make them hot. If anything, when they are wet, I think they make them a little cooler because there is more wet fabric on their body, but they do dry quickly. I also love that they make them for girls now, too. 

I have friends who think it's just wrong to be covered up at the beach, but I think it's wrong to let a child's sensitive skin be exposed to the sun's rays. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I don't have firsthand experience yet but my SIL told me the swim diapers can sometimes causes rashes and recommended changing our DS as soon as we take him out of the water after it gets wet.  And she said the tents get really warm inside and she could never keep her DD in the one they bought because it was hot inside.

What about suntan lotion???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My daughter never acted like the rash guards were too hot, though she pretty much never left the water while at the beach.  My mother (huge beach fan, as am I!) had bought me something like this, but smaller http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11205974&prodFindSrc=prodCrossSell but I stopped bringing it because she never stayed in it.  Plus we live a few blocks from the beach so for naps we could just go home.  I was able to time it so we went in the morning and evenings and stayed away during the heat of the day.  The big hat with big brim is key.  Lots of sunscreen too. 

I know it's kind of gross I guess, but I honestly didn't always do the diaper at the beach.  If she had p**ped in the morning and didn't seem like she was going to any time soon I just put her in her bathing suit and let her pee freely.  If she hadn't p**ped lately I put the swim diaper on her. 
    This year I looked for rash guards but I couldn't find any long sleeved ones.  Last year I found a great long sleeved one at Target but they were all short sleeves this year.  I ended up getting a hooded terry cloth dress that is 3T instead of 2T so it's a little long on her.  I figure she can wear it in the water too. 

ALSO: 
    I was a lifeguard for 8 years.  This is my PSA for the boards.
    PLEASE watch your children ridiculously closely around all and any water.  It takes less than 2 minutes of oxygen deprivation for permanent brain damage and death to occur in a young child.  It takes only 1.5 inches of water to drown a child.  A drowning child is a silent child. 
    I (thankfully!) have never had to resucitate a child but I have pulled kids out from underwater while their mothers sat next to them on the edge of the pool, talking to friends or watching other children. 

Please, empty kiddie pools when not in use, never leave a child unattended, and give up relaxing sunbathing and magazine reading for the next 10 years of your life.  Do not trust a lifeguard to watch your child.  I was an excellent lifeguard but not all guards are excellent and every guard is responsible for many more children than just yours. 

That is all.  Sorry to hijack the post. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

In Response to Re: Beach fun - Questions!:
    [QUOTE]I don't have firsthand experience yet but my SIL told me the swim diapers can sometimes causes rashes and recommended changing our DS as soon as we take him out of the water after it gets wet.  And she said the tents get really warm inside and she could never keep her DD in the one they bought because it was hot inside. What about suntan lotion???
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend Blue Lizard sunscreen.  I usually order it from Amazon; it can be expensive, but goes a long way and works REALLY well, without the typical sunscreen smell.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Lissa I have only found short sleeve ones too!

Kind of a hijack but do people put sunscreen on when they just take their kids outside to play?  I figure if I wear it so should he but I'm kind of dreading the whole putting it on him since getting just his diaper changed can be quite a challenge these days!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Get the spray-on stuff.  It's more expensive but it's worth it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

they also make sunscreen wipes - MD moms is one brand.  pretty $$$ but might be easier than dealing with spray or cream.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

SunX also sells sunscreen wipes. You can buy them on Amazon in boxes of 25 for under $15, which isn't too bad price-wise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I just found some long sleeve rash guard one-piece suits at One Step Ahead. They're on the expensive side, but we're planning a trip to Bermuda this summer and want to keep DS as protected as possible. Here's the link: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=537164&parentCategoryId=100180&categoryId=100182

There's a 15% off coupon code: MAY11

DH couldn't get over how hard the long-sleeve versions are to find here. Sun protection is huge in his native NZ because that's where the giant hole in the ozone layer is. All kids wear the long-sleeve suits there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We use California Baby sunscreen. My daughter has sensitive skin and the commercial brands gave her bumps and rashes.

Last year I bought a bikini bottom and a rashguard t-shirt for when we're in bright sun for a long time, and a regular bathing suit for when we're at the park fountain under the trees or something.

I bought the suits at Target. I wanted to spend as little as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Landsend has some long sleeve rash guards (SPF 50) on sale for 12.99.  Quite a nice variety of sizes/colors.  I have always been very pleased with the quality of their bathing suits.  I know they sell their products in Sears stores but if you can't find them Landsend delivery is always quick and easy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Yay, thanks for all the advice!
    I am definitely into major sun protection, so I will look for a long sleeved rash guard.  I was just worried it would be too hot.

Re: sunscreen - I spent way too long looking at this issue here:
    http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/
    And I ultimately decided to go with either California Baby or Badger.  So far we have used the Badger and she has seemed fine with it.  It's $$$, but we have skin cancer on both sides of the family so this is one of those issues that is worth it to me.  I did see Badger on sale both at Whole Foods and at Amazon.  Also, they have one marked "Baby" and one marked "Unscented", and after comparing ingredients I went with the unscented because it didn't have anything in it that wasn't already in the baby one.

Does anyone use the reusable swim diapers?  I got one at Diaper Lab (brand: Imse Vimse) but haven't tried it out yet.  Looks really comfy, though.

Lissa, thank you for the reminder.  SO important.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

One thing about Calif. Baby that I learned the hard way -- a little goes a LONG way. Also, because it's very thick and white it gives the child an appearance of sickly pallor.

Incidentally, the spray pool on the Charles in Allston/Brighton is Off The Hook. It's not just good by Allston/Brighton standards or city standards -- people come from all over. There are spray decks and a wading pool with giant streams of water. Mornings are best, or between 4-5:30 on weekdays. There are two playgrounds there as well. Also restrooms (tolerable), and an outdoor shower.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Hanna Anderson is having a swim sale now. They have long-sleeved rash guards.

http://www.hannaandersson.com/search.aspx?search_for=swim&bnnr=050911

My daughter and I are very fair, but I'm not as concerned about the elbow to wrist area as I am about the shoulders and back. We didn't have any problems last year with the short sleeved shirts. Of course, we're not exactly beach people either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Can anyone recommend a sunhat that a baby cannot pull off? My daughter is very fair and hates wearing hats (never mind the sunglasses I tried strapping on to her on Saturday!)

BTW, I hate how One Step Ahead offers two options for everything, one is "boys" option and one is "girls" option.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

This site has a lot of sun protection items:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My one advice for keeping a hat on is that it has to be non-negotiable.  It was easier for me to keep this non-negotiable because I am home during the summer and the primary caregiver so I had real control over this.  I would literally NOT go outside if my daughter didn't have her hat on.  I made a big deal about her NEEDING a hat, even on cloudy days.  When she took it off I would tell her we were going inside if she didn't put it back on.  After one warning/ultimatum I would pick her up and go inside until she agreed to put the hat back on.  I had to go home from the beach twice, but it was worth it.  By August if I said "let's go outside" she'd say "hat! hat!" and run over to the box near the door to find her sun hat.  In the fall when I went back to school she actually had a tantrum one day at daycare because she didn't have her hat and they were bringing them outside.  It took a lot of tenacity but it was worth it.  It helped that I always wear a sun hat too.  If I took mine off she'd yell "hat hat mummy hat!" at me and I'd have to put it back on.

I don't know if this will work with younger kids.  She was 12-18 months last summer and the year before was very cloudy and the sun wasn't as much of an issue.  Plus when she was younger I could stick her under a shade and she'd stay there.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Swim diapers - this may be like a no-brainer to everyone else but it never occurred to me before my SIL advised me to do this.  It is WAY easier to rip the sides apart of a swim diaper than pull a wet or dirty one down. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

MM- i never thought of that. i felt terrible pulling that soggy thing down!!

Quick question- I was reading through that webpage and am now totally paranoid- apparently, i have been slathering on poisonous sunscreen?
    http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/ did everyone know this but me?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

EWG is awesome. I definitely check out products on there before buying them for our daughter.

Their "dirty dozen" and "clean fifteen" produce lists are very helpful too.
    http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

We've used the two piece rash guard since our daughter (now 3) was about 8 months old. They don't get her sweaty and they do protect well.

We always put the swim diaper on her once we were at the beach too. It was easier that way. They're much like pull ups and I definitely found them easier, not harder to deal with.

Many of the baby swimsuits also came with a swim diaper but I cut those out first thing. Too bulky and disposable swim diapers are obviously much easier to deal with for solid waste.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Can anyone recommend a beach shelter/umbrella they find works well on the actual beach?  I have researched the heck out of these, but not having ever actually erected on on sand myself, I don't know which are really the best.  It's hard to go by the reviews, because there will be 5 star and 1 star reviews in direct conflict with each other.