Beach fun - Questions!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: Beach fun - Questions!

Poppy, my umbrella is just a regular beach umbrella from the christmas tree shop.  It works perfect.  If something happens to it, I dont feel bad replacing it because of the cost.  It comes in a bag, with a handle for easy carrying.  I also have a beach buggy so I can just slip it in there to

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm curious on the umbrella front as well.  I saw a pop-up one at a shower I went to recently, but didn't note the brand. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm curious about beach buggies or other transport devices. I made ONE beach trip last summer and it was horrible. Trying to carry 500 lbs of stuff, and then carrying the angry baby because she was too tired to walk (she hadn't been walking long at that point), was so difficult I thought I'd have beg some random stranger for help. I ended up dragging some of it on a blanket behind me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I just found inexpensive-ish long sleeve rash guards at REI online.  They are made by Columbia.  Sizes 2T and up:
    http://www.rei.com/product/809652/columbia-sun-splasher-long-sleeve-rashguard-toddler-girls

Regarding sun shades, several people have now recommended to me the Shade Shack.  It's pretty cool, but you'd need a BIG patch of sand.  Anyone pro or con?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

medfordcc - I have the imse vimse swim diaper and love it. Bought it a few years ago for my DS and now it fits my DD. It kills me how expensive disposable swim diapers are! Also, the imse vimse one is nice b/c it has snaps, so it's so easy to take off.

I use cloth diapers all the time anyway, but for people who don't - you can always use a disposable liner (like Bummis BioSoft liners) inside a reusable cloth swim diaper, if you're afraid of the #2. ;)

And whoever posted the note about putting a regular diaper over the swim diaper - 4 years of diapering and I NEVER thought of that! Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

lemon, My buggy is from BBB.  It is so helpful, I just load everything up and go.  Last summer I was alwasy with someone else so someone wheeled the buggy and some took DD most likely in her stroller.  We are huge beachgoers and the buggy is a life saver!!  It also fits more stuff then just ours so that is helpful for other people to.  I guess you could also use a wagon and put a kid in it but not sure if that is too bulky in a car.  The buggy folds up nicely.  Oh and has holers for up to 4 beach chairs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

How do y'all handle BFing on the beach?  Do you just let it hang out or wear a cover up?  I hate that cover thingy, but you can't be that discrete in a bathing suit!  I guess you could throw on a loose tank and lift it up... Sorry, just answered my own question :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I'm not a big beach person, so we only went to the beach a couple of times last year, both times with other friends, so we shared a 10'X10' canopy, which was plenty of room for 4-5 adults and 2 toddlers, without taking up so much space I felt obnoxious about hogging the beach. 
    I am the daughter of a dermatologist, so I have always worn sunscreen, and slather my DD with it as well, in addition to trying to keep her as covered as possible. I know that zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are preferred over chemical sunscreens like oxybenzone, but I like the spray on sunscreens, or the wipes, and often they have the chemical sunscreens. The key is to use enough, and reapply often. 
    Something we learned by unhappy accident is that you can't use a cream sunscreen, then reapply with a spray (not sure if it is all sprays, but I got burned after using Banana Boat Spray on top of a cream).
    Has anyone seen/tried the new Neutrogena "apply wet" sunscreens? I was in AZ for the long weekend, and they were advertising the heck out of them down there. I like the idea of being able to add more without having to get completely dry first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Beach fun - Questions!:
    [QUOTE]How do y'all handle BFing on the beach?  Do you just let it hang out or wear a cover up?  I hate that cover thingy, but you can't be that discrete in a bathing suit!  I guess you could throw on a loose tank and lift it up... Sorry, just answered my own question :o)
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I always just let it all hang out, but that was my philosophy on BFing in general.  Come to think of it, that was my philosophy before breastfeeding too haha.  If my lovely 18-year-old sister can lie face down on her towel with her straps completely untied and essentially no top attached to her, I can certainly sit next to her and feed my baby with no worries.  Of course, people should do what they feel comfortable doing.  I was always a "throw a load of laundry in the machine with one hand while using the other hand to hold breastfeeding baby" lady so I pretty much breastfed all sorts of places. If it bothered people that was their problem. 
    I imagine if you wanted to be more modest you could put a t-shirt on over your suit, then lift that up just enough and pull your suit down on one side (kind of like breastfeeding with a normal bra on). 

You could also lie down on your beach towel and feed baby lying down with her/him lying next to you.  I bet people won't even know what you're doing.  Plus you can position yourself to shade baby's face that way so no sun in the eyes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

can anyone post links to specific beach tents/buggies/etc. they'd recommend, or provide manufacturer names?  i never thought of all these logistics and need to gear up for my vacation in july!  :)  thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Cabana-Tent-Shelter-Beach/dp/B001MKX9V4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1306951794&sr=8-11

This is the sun tent we got for a trip to Nantucket and have used it every time we've gone to the beach since.  I would have gotten the one step ahead one but they sell out quickly.  It's not hot inside (due to the windows) and you can zip it all the way shut, all the way around for total privacy to change, etc.

You HAVE to practice folding these tents and you must watch the online/youtube videos.  If you bend the rings, that's it, it will never fold again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]lemon, My buggy is from BBB.  It is so helpful, I just load everything up and go.  Last summer I was alwasy with someone else so someone wheeled the buggy and some took DD most likely in her stroller.  We are huge beachgoers and the buggy is a life saver!!  It also fits more stuff then just ours so that is helpful for other people to.  I guess you could also use a wagon and put a kid in it but not sure if that is too bulky in a car.  The buggy folds up nicely.  Oh and has holers for up to 4 beach chairs.
    Posted by quadgirl1234[/QUOTE]

I thought the wagon would be great too, but when I was dragging my stuff and cursing my fate I saw another mom in distress whose wagon was stuck in the sand.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]medfordcc - I have the imse vimse swim diaper and love it. Bought it a few years ago for my DS and now it fits my DD. It kills me how expensive disposable swim diapers are! Also, the imse vimse one is nice b/c it has snaps, so it's so easy to take off.
    Posted by marriedmom[/QUOTE]

Yay!!  I'm so glad you like it.  We haven't field-tested it yet, but I've put it on and off her and it fits great and seems really comfy and easy to use.
    My only fear, actually, is that someone is going to think I don't have a diaper on her and get mad at me.  Because it looks like a bathing suit bottom.

Re: beach shelters - my friend gave me a demo of a similar one to the one posted above.  She is a fan.  I am still debating whether or not to spend the cash or go with an umbrella.  Here is the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KRZQMS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A4R3KHHGSOY2X

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

you have to pull it backwards and you should be all set.  This is basically what I have. I think they are all pretty much the same.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13862559

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Am I the only one who didn't know you're not supposed to put sunscreen on an infant under 6 months??  My brother also has an infant and he mentioned it to me... After I had already been applying sunscreen for a couple weeks.

I asked the NP about it at DD's 4 month appointment and she said they don't recommend using it before 6 months, and some other doctors don't recommend it under a year.  She didn't actually elaborate, but I assume it has to do with chemicals.  Why don't I think to ask follow-up questions at the time?!!

Luckily the daycare provider said she was only putting it on because I provided it and that DD is usually in the shade, even when they go for walks.

We're going away pretty soon, so I definitely need to invest in some gear with SPF protection.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - I'm certainly not an expert, but I think sunscreen is ok in small amounts.  For what it's worth, here's an AAP link.  I have found it very difficult to find sun-protective clothing for babies (a lot of it is for toddlers and up) and I refuse to take her out in the sun even in the stroller with the canopy without any sunscreen!  If nowhere else, I put it on her feet/ankles, since those stick out from the stroller.  From what I've read, Badger and California Baby are the highest rated sunscreens for babies.

ETA:  Also, FWIW, we just had a 2 night stay at the beach and I bought 2 of these blankets for use on the sand.  They were great!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I found sun protective clothing for the bambina at REI online.  It's a really, really cute long sleeve rash guard that came in baby sizes.  But now I can't find it on their website, so possibly sold out?  :(
    Maybe they have some in their stores.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I should have said - I actually found some at coolibar.com but the selection was limited!  We tried it out at the indoor pool at the Cape (since it was rainy and cold outside!) and loved it - it really dries quickly!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Anyone have feedback about this brand of rashguards, hats, etc.?  I saw some stuff at Buy Buy Baby.  I think they had one piece rashguards as well.  Not sure why they're not on the website.

iPlay at Buy Buy Baby

We're taking a trip in a few weeks and I'm starting to freak about traveling with DD and going to the beach.