Beach suggestions please!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Beach suggestions please!

Anyone have great beach suggestions -- fresh or salt? I'm trying to get into the beach lifestyle. Today we went to Nantasket but I think we landed on a very stupid part of it -- there was about five feet of rocky dry land, and it was all covered in trash and swearing frat boys. It was also a long, annoying drive. Last week we went to Crane, which I think is the BEST beach after the National Seashore on the Cape. BUT it is about 1.5 hours for us to get there, and I'm guessing it fills up early because the parking lot was small. We went on a weekday, and I question our ability to get there in time on a weekend. Any other suggestions? I am also interested in fresh water swimming.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

Re: Beach suggestions please!

Green Harbor in Marshfield is amazing! You have to get there early because the lot is small and once its filled up, you are out of luck because its all resident parking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Nantasket depends on the tide.  A lot of the good parts are private land.  I never go because that's where my students go. 
    Wollaston (in Quincy) is fun for little kids.  There are two playgrounds and lots of dog walkers.  Most places around here are rocky.  Wollaston has a lot of trouble with bacteria counts because of the way it is situated.  I always check online before I go.  Are you looking solely on the S. Shore?

I have a friend who swears by Walden pond for freshwater.  It gets crowded quickly on the weekends.  They stop letting people in when the parking lot fills. 
    I think I remember a boston globe article/slideshow about family-friendly beaches recently.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I was going to recommend Crane beach, but I see you've already found it.  I live less than 15 minutes from there, and it's great! I'm surprised it took you more than an hour to get there from Boston, but maybe it was weekday traffic. Another option is to go after 3pm; the early birds are leaving, so there is space to park, and it's only $15, instead of $25.  

I also love Wingaersheek in Gloucester, but that's a little further North, and fills up a little earlier (like 9am).  They do have the same deal after 3pm. You can actually get in without a problem at 2pm, you just have to pay full price.  The facilities and snack bar aren't as good as Crane, but I kind of like the beach better. It's great for little kids because there are no big waves, and when it is low tide there, you can walk out soooo far, and find sand dollars. It's also a shorter walk from the parking lot to the beach, which helps when lugging a toddler, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We went to Wingaersheek last year but I didn't like it as much as Crane. I found the long shallows tedious -- I prefer to get right into the water. I also liked that you can spread out at Crane.

The drive to Crane is pretty crazy -- the drive out of the city is miserable, and then you hit all the little 35 MPH roads that disappear and turn and twist around. I love Cape Ann, though. My favorite "beach" pre-baby was Halibut Point, but of course that's too dangerous for a toddler.

Aren't there other beaches on Cape Ann? You only ever hear about Wingaersheek and Crane. I did go to Good Harbor once but I had a bad experience -- a giant seagull p00ped on my head, and the person next to me flicked a lit cigarette into the air and it burned my arm. That isn't the beach's fault but one does make associations. Also, the water was the coldest I've ever felt. And I like cold water, but this actually hurt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think ocean temps are a frigid (imo) 65 degrees at most MA beaches right now - painful to me, too.  The lakes/ponds in our area are probably closer to 80 (especially near the shore) so if you want warm, definitely go fresh!  I can't recommend anything since I'm so far away, but like lissafro, I have a friend who swears Walden Pond is the place to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I have a friend who spends most of her summer at Cochituate State Park (Natick) and Hopkington State park.  Both lakes, and good for kids.  Not sure about the parking on the weekends, but I went with her last August on a Sunday afternoon and there were very few cars there.  You can pay daily for entering the parks or get an annual state park sticker for the car.  I know that some of the state parks are no longer open or don't have lifeguards due to all the funding issues, so probably best to check out the websites first.  I grew up going to Breakheart in Saugus and use to love it.  Located right off of Rt 1 ... so probably not a rush hour destination, but the weekends or mid-day shoudln't be too bad.

I've always preferred lakes over ocean because there is usually an option to sit in the shade so that you are not baking all day.  That and the fresh water doesn't leave you feeling all sticky when you leave. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I prefer the ocean -- I think ponds are kind of gross and mucky. There was one pond on the Cape that I loved. It was super clean and awesome. But mostly I think they're kind of smelly and dirty. And I don't like warm water. But it seems like ocean beaches are more work for some reason. Growing up on the Cape, I used to laugh at the jerks who would haul 50 lbs of gear to the beach but now I understand because I am them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

http://mass.digitalhealthdepartment.com/public_21/index.cfm

If it rained a lot the night before you want to go to any beach you should check this before you get in the car to help you choose where to go. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

If you want something close, the beaches in Southie are underappreciated, but pretty good. Like anything else, it depends where you go. The stretch between M and P streets has a vendor that has snacks, nice sand, and clean water (lots of people swimming and kids playing, with lifeguards on duty). Resident parking only applies on weekdays. It should be a quick drive for you (you're somewhere in Boston, right?).

The beaches in Pleasure Bay near Castle Island aren't bad either. There's a playground, public restrooms, and food at Castle Island (if you need a break from the sand) and there is a lot of parking but it can get tight on weekends.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I read recently that the South Boston beaches are now the cleanest urban beaches in the US!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Rexhame Beach in Marshfield is great.  There are bathrooms and vending as well.  It can get rocky, but I put swim shoes on the kids and it's not a problem.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

In Response to Re: Beach suggestions please!:
    I read recently that the South Boston beaches are now the cleanest urban beaches in the US!
    Posted by lemonmelon

I overheard a family talking there last weekend that they're among the few that haven't been closed at all this summer because of bacteria.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

In Response to Re: Beach suggestions please! : I overheard a family talking there last weekend that they're among the few that haven't been closed at all this summer because of bacteria.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish

That makes me feel better.  We introduced DD to the beach this year but since she's still on two naps, we bit the bullet and went to Castle Island.  We had a great time and not too crowded.  When she gets older, we'll probably head to Duxbury Beach but that may be too far for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I was just at a triathlon in Buzzards' Bay in New Bedford this past weekend.  The water was 72 degrees.  It was a really nice beach right next to Fort Taber.  

Gooooooo sooooooouuuuttthhh..............

Wait, who said that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Beach suggestions please! : That makes me feel better.  We introduced DD to the beach this year but since she's still on two naps, we bit the bullet and went to Castle Island.  We had a great time and not too crowded. 
    Posted by nene72

http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-23/news/29695374_1_beach-closures-storm-water-harbor-cleanup

When she gets older, we'll probably head to Duxbury Beach but that may be too far for you.
    Posted by nene72

Tell me more about this Duxbury Beach. It's about an hour from us, which is the same as anything else. And it's a highway hour, not a crazy 3A nail salon and dunkin donuts hour.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

In Response to Re: Beach suggestions please! : http://articles.boston.com/2011-06-23/news/29695374_1_beach-closures-storm-water-harbor-cleanup In Response to Re: Beach suggestions please! : Tell me more about this Duxbury Beach. It's about an hour from us, which is the same as anything else. And it's a highway hour, not a crazy 3A nail salon and dunkin donuts hour.
    Posted by lemonmelon

Lemon-you crack me up.  I haven't been to Duxbury in a few years but most of my friends from the South Shore go there.  It's nicer than Nantasket.  I believe its less crowded and less rocky than Nantasket.  There is also the option of buying an oversand permit for the season which is nice so you don't have to lug everything to the beach (but I believe you have a Yarius or a Prius which wouldn't be able to be driven over sand so scratch that).

BTW, you can get to Nantasket on the highway as well.  Take the Hingham exit and follow the signs for 228. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Oh, sweetbeachjesus, don't take 3A all the way to Nantasket!  You'll be one of those people I curse when I'm sitting still on what should be a 4-minute trip to the grocery store.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, sweetbeachjesus, don't take 3A all the way to Nantasket!  You'll be one of those people I curse when I'm sitting still on what should be a 4-minute trip to the grocery store.
    Posted by lissafro

You don't know the half of it. I drive like an old lady and let everyone in front of me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

BTW, you can get to Nantasket on the highway as well.  Take the Hingham exit and follow the signs for 228. 
    Posted by nene72

Awesome! 3A is the bane of my existance. And apparently the feeling is mutual.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

We went to Duxbury over the weekend and I've gone there all my life. It is EXTREMELY rocky, but only between the beach and the water. The beach is nice, soft sand and aside from a few big rocks in the water, the sand underwater is nice too. So basically, it's a great place to sit on the beach and the water isn't too cold this year, for once, but I you definitely need shoes for the trek from your chair to the water. Most people just kick them off onto the rocks while they swim, then put them back on when they head back up to their chairs. They also have bathrooms and a snack bar. It's $15 to park for the day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Good Harbor is by far the best beach in Massachusetts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I grew up in Duxbury, so i can vouch for the beach there! I spent many a summer day there from late morning until it got dark. We had an oversand permit and would take naps in the car. I'm sad that I haven't been back in a while, as DS gets older we'll have to start making trips!  Many people say that Duxbury is the nicest on the SS. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

There is Singing Beach in Manchester by the Sea Lemon.  My son's camp goes there often and he seems to like this beach the best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Walden is nice, but it does get crowded, especially mid day.  If you go mid-to-late afternoon you are usually ok.

I like Lake Dennison - it's a State Park in Winchendon, so lake.  I would say it's not much more than an hour fromthe city, basically straight out Rt 2, very clean lake, lifeguard, bathrooms, big grassy field... no snack bar, but the ice cream truck comes often.  There is also a campground there that we like a lot.

I went to Crane Beach for the first time this year and LOVE it!

Sections
Shortcuts