Big Kid Bed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Big Kid Bed

So, DS is a tall one, and is attempting to climb out of his crib so DH and I are looking around for a big kid bed. Doing a toddler bed doesn't make too much sense to us since DS (21 mo) is almost as long as his crib now, he has some room to grow, but not too much. 

We've been looking around and a decent one we liked was going to cost $1100! I know this is something that one shouldn't buy flimsy, but I'd like not to spend that much when I know he's going to pee and throw up on it for the next few years...so I don't see this last 10 years...

Where do y'all buy a twin mattress that are good quality but won't break the bank?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Big Kid Bed

I got my son's twin mattress set at Building 19 in Burlington.  It came with a frame and it was also pretty comfortable.  I figured for his first one it wouldn't be so bad.  I've had it 7 years. but I will be getting him a newer one when we move.

ETA:  The mattress I got at Building 19 was not used. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

KAM - about to make the same move soon with my almost 22 mo old.  Going straight to twin.  We actually had an extra twin bed on hand.  A good friend just had to buy her son a new one - got a great deal at Big Lots -  wood rails, pretty decent quality.  We didn't know they sold them there, but her mom saw it and my friend jumped on it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Get a good mattress cover.  And if your kid springs leaks at night occasionally, get a bed pad to go over the mattress cover so you don't have to wash the whole thing more than occasionally.  If you need to replace it in a year or two it still beats having a stained or smelly mattress.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

$1100 for the mattress, or the bed & mattress?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chins. Show chins's posts

I bought a great Queen bed recently from two sources: the frame from Amazon.com and the mattress from Overstock.com
    Much cheaper than the stores (paid 750 total for both. And it was a memory foam mattress). I am sure you will get a twin for much cheaper. And they deliver for free (or almost free in the case of overstock.com).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

We got our son's bed from Sam's club.  98 for the mattress and something like 89 for the box spring (but we waited a year to get that so it wouldn't be too high).  BJ's has similar pricing.  A word of caution on Building 19, bob's pit etc...they are generally returns so it's possible that it is like buying a used mattress.  My brother got my nephew's mattress set for a decent price at Sleepy's.  He said that they sales person was really good and didn't try to sell them something that they didn't need. 

If you are looking for a headboard/foot board I would suggest Craig's list or Salvation Army.  Your kid will likely beat it up.  We just have my son's mattress on a metal frame and it makes it WAY easier to change the sheets because we can move the bed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

We got my daughter's whole room for that price!  We went to Bob's Discount and got a whole set for our 22 month old daughter in prep for #2 coming in December.  We talked up the transition and she took to it right away and loves her new room (hasn't even gone to sit on her old bed which was the crib/toddler bed).  Unfortunately I hadn't thought about a mattress prior to going to Bob's to order the set, I was heart set on this set for a long time and we were waiting for tax free day, so I had plenty of time, but decided to save on tax and shipping and just order at Bob's, so the mattress was like $250 with box spring.  I wasn't sure about memory foam and wanted something as firm as her crib mattress since she was still young, so I went with the cheap spring mattress and we love it, and somehow we convinced our daughter that she can only crawl on her bed, but they told us at Bob's that lots of parents get the memory foam and it puts a stop to jumping on the bed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We got an extendable bed from IKEA.  It was about $180.  It has three lengths so it can start out toddler-sized with a built-in rail and then extends to be a twin bed.  Our 18 month old loves it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kendrasbigday. Show kendrasbigday's posts

You should try "free cycle" - http://www.freecycle.org/ I love this website and I got a beautiful 1940s dining room that was in perfect condition.  It was a lot of fun and it's the best place to recycle! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from corsetkitty. Show corsetkitty's posts

Why do you need the whole bed right now?  Just put the mattress on the floor.  We did that with our 22 month old daughter about a month ago.  The low height allows her to get in and out easily and if she does roll off, she wouldn't fall very far.  When she's a bit older, we'll add the box spring and when she's older and about a foot taller, we'll add the frame.

It also saves money to just buy a mattress, but remember a good mattrress will last until college.  If you buy a low-end one, you'll be replacing it before middle school--but you might be in better financial straits at that point, so ultimately that's your call to make.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greydove1. Show greydove1's posts

I highly recommend IKEA for toddler beds! They are actually longer than you would think; a good foot above the length of a crib. Some people go right from crib to big-kid bed, and that is fine, however for an extremely reasonable price you can find the perfect, just their size little bed. We just did this for my son (22 months) and I expect to keep him in it for about 2-3 years, then get the twin. With my daugher (age 7) we took the crib rail off and used as a toddler bed. Although they advertise these crib conversion beds, it didn't work well for us. It was too high and she fell out of it all the time, forcing me to put pillows on the floor and eventually buy a rail. In any case, check out IKEA for adorable, low cost kid friendly designs. Just make sure you or your partner are adept at putting things together!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dadadee. Show dadadee's posts

BJs for the mattress, and there should be numerous places to find a headboard etc. for less than you saw. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Here's the kicker-it was only the mattress and boxspring that was costing $1100!!! Crazy!

We're planning on only getting that and putting it on the floor and getting a bedroom set in a few years.

But we want to buy a decent mattress that is firm & supportive-I don't expect it to last until college, but for the next 5-6 years is desired.

DH did some research on foam since we thought about doing this to discourage jumping on the bed and the research we read about the outgasing of the foam is making us go with a coil.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

FYI, it's illegal to sell a used mattress in Massachusetts. No reputable business will sell one. Nor should you buy one -- even if you luck out and don't end up with bed bugs, unless the mattress was encased in a latex cover, it will be full of fluids, skin, and mites from the previous owner.
    From WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/allergies/living-with-allergies-10/6-daily-habits-that-may-make-you-sick?page=2):
    "The average person sheds about 1.5 million skin cells per hour and perspires one quart every day even while doing nothing, says Tierno. The skin cells accumulate in our pillows and mattresses and dust mites grow and settle.
    ...A mattress doubles in weight every 10 years because of the accumulation of human hair, bodily secretions, animal hair and dander, fungal mold and spores, bacteria, chemicals, dust, lint, fibers, dust mites, insect parts, and a variety of particulates, including dust mite feces. After five years, 10% of the weight of a pillow is dust mites. This is what you're inhaling while you sleep. "

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Big Kid Bed:
    [QUOTE]DH did some research on foam since we thought about doing this to discourage jumping on the bed and the research we read about the outgasing of the foam is making us go with a coil.
    Posted by KAM2007[/QUOTE]

Jordan's memory foam is made from soy. We just bought a queen bed and the mattress, along with the split box spring, was around $600.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If you buy used furniture from the Salvation Army, ask them if it's been through one of their heating facilities -- some of them have rooms where they heat the furniture to 150 degrees to kill bedbugs.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I used to love used furniture and antiques, but the idea of saving $50 to spend thousands on exterminators and replacing everything I own is just too awful. I only make exceptions for estate sales where the people have died peacefully after a long life of covering their perfectly-preserved orange nubble couches in plastic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You never have to worry about the mattress getting soiled if you get a nice, soft, water-impermeable mattress cover.  They aren't plastic like they were when we were kids; they're so comfortable you'd never know they were there, and it will protect any investment at any cost you make.  You don't want the stench of a pee-stained mattress no matter how little you spent on it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]You never have to worry about the mattress getting soiled if you get a nice, soft, water-impermeable mattress cover.  They aren't plastic like they were when we were kids; they're so comfortable you'd never know they were there, and it will protect any investment at any cost you make.  You don't want the stench of a pee-stained mattress no matter how little you spent on it!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    I love our mattress cover. It makes the sheets fit better, too. I was a maid for ages, so I'm super into cleanliness and order. We have the protect-a-bed cover, which has a soft terry top.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]I got my son's twin mattress set at Building 19 in Burlington.  It came with a frame and it was also pretty comfortable.  I figured for his first one it wouldn't be so bad.  I've had it 7 years. but I will be getting him a newer one when we move. ETA:  The mattress I got at Building 19 was not used. 
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]
    ha ha, did I scare you? I'm sorry. Building 19 wouldn't sell a used mattress, although they might sell a refused delivery. A mattress can be in a person's home for something like 10 hours before being considered used, and it has to remain in the original packaging without any tampering. (I also used to sell classified advertizing, which is how I know all this -- we had to learn the legality of potential ads. Go ahead, ask me about legal discrimination on the part of the landlord when a shared stairway is utilized).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I love ours, too, which also has a soft terry top and is breathable.  I can't remember the brand we have, but here's a 5 star rated twin one on Amazon for a shopping starting point.

Luna Mattress Protector

P.S.  Bedbugs would scare me off from buying any used furniture, too, these days.  It's an epidemic!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Our daughter climbed out of the crib at 15 months so we jut put her crib mattress on the floor for the next 6 months or so.  Then we just moved into a new house in July so we went to Ikea and bought a twin daybed (Hemnes) for $400 and a bob-o-pedic lite mattress from Bob's for $300 and it's really a comfortable bed that she can have/use for years.  We liked the Hemnes daybed b/c we only needed one crib rail.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Grouse, does the daybed take a regular twin mattress, then? I was eyeing it the other day online and it looked like it folded out or something. Do you have the two-drawer or three? And does Ikea sell a rail or did you need to buy one somewhere else?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

If you haven't made the purchase yet, just something to think about - get a full mattress instead of a twin if you have the space. It does lessen the number of falls out of bed because they just have that extra space. If you like to have long book reading sessions in bed or snuggle time, it gives you enough space to be comfortable on the bed as well. DH is the kind of person who falls asleep as soon as he sits down at night (it takes alot to get him to sit down though). I know when we get to story and snuggle time ages, I'm going to find him sound asleep in the nursery right next to DD.

My cousin's did this and I thought it was way over indulgent, but now see the wisdom of having a larger bed for the baby (and you).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I love the full sized bed idea!  How nice to not have mom squished on the edge reading a story or snuggling after a bad dream.  And, talk about economical.  If you get a good mattress and protector, the bed can be used well into a number of room decor changes.