Big kid bed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Big kid bed

I can't speak from personal experience, but a close friend just did this with her almost 2 year old and it went MUCH easier than she expected.  She set up the bed 4 months before baby #2 was due, planning to transition her DD to the bed slowly over several weeks.  Well DD loved the bed and wanted to sleep in it that first night and never looked back!!  (Although it has only been about 2 weeks, so there could be some kind of regression at some point.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We transitioned DD1 into a twin bed just before she turned 2.  It had to happen since the twins were coming in 2.5 months and I didn't want her to think the babies were already taking over something that was hers. 

I was dreading it.  I thought she'd be out of bed as soon as we put her in it.  We went cold turkey one night and have never looked back.  She didn't have a single issue and it was months before she figured out she could get out on her own. I did make sure to completely baby proof her room first since we'd never bothered before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

We are in this process baby #2 due early June ds #1 is currently 21 months. 
    We have purchased some bedding, wall decorations and put in a closet organizer (moving him to new room)  So everytime someone comes over we make a big deal of having ds show them the changes.  This weekend I think we will start transitioning some of his stuff ie: books, clothes etc.  And we have started calling the Nursery the nursery and the new room his room.  I am hoping that once he starts seeing his clothes and toys and books in there it will become a natural transition. We have been allowing some big boy blankets and stuffed animals and pillow in his crib so hopefully when we do put him in the new bed he will have all his bed paraphanalia with him so it will appear natural.  But cant tell you how it will go but can only say good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My kids ran around and had to be gated in once we got out of the cribs. But after a few days they started sleeping great. I will say that we started with just a mattress on the floor - we'll have to work our way up to a bed with rails.
    Make sure you babyproof everything. I had to take most of the furniture out since my son is a climber - he would have climbed the dresser and bookshelf in a second.
    And he got the wooden slat out of the shade and broke it in half. When I went up I was shocked to find two jagged pieces of wood in their room. I'm just lucky they he didn't kill himself or his sister!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

We're not there yet... but a question.  My DS is still all over the place in his crib.  He starts out one way and moves many times throughout the night.  I use a blanket to "tuck him in" when we put him down.  And he usually ends up on top of it, sideways with feet or butt up.  Or some such awkward looking pose.  When you do finally transition to a big kid bed, with sheets and pillows and such, do they just stop moving and stay under the bedding?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Mine didn't IPW.  I kept them in the sleep sacks just like in the crib. At 2 1/2 they won't wear the sacks anymore, but DS hates to be under the covers.  I end up having to go in after he's asleep and cover him up. He squirms out most nights - so I just make sure he has really warm jammies and socks on...and we turned the heat up a bit or now.
    I'm sure others have kids who take to pillows and sheets with no problem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

My daughter is 2 and her crib transitions into a bed but I haven't done it yet. I am afraid she'll keep getting out. I am picturing her wandering the house all night. lol. But I think it's probably time.
    Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

DS moved to Big Boy Bed at 2, before DD was in the picture. He needed the space. He took to it immediately and never got out of it for a few months. We kept his crib in his room for a few days but there was no love lost on his part.

It's still hard to keep covers on him, but we go in and cover him up again before we go to bed.

We did transition him out of his old room when DD was on her way. We did it months before she arrived. We did it all up, new rug, wall decals, toy bins etc. He is still so excited-and it's almost been a full year now. He'll drag everyone to his room as soon as they get to the house to show it to them, even people who have seen it a million times.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I think it really will depend on how your DD personally takes to the transition. I moved my older one (DS) to the bed when he was 2y4m, just before my DD was born. Big Mistake. He was (is) the kind of kid who takes every opportunity he can find to play, so he would get out of bed, trash his room, and make me completely insane. I actually stopped giving him naps when he was 2y10m b/c I was so over it. (Flip side: super-early bedtime - yay!)

On the other hand, my DD has had a bed in her room from day one, and around xmas, when she was 2y3m she decided she wanted to sleep in it. The crib is still in her room, but I think she's only slept in it two or three times since. It's funny b/c I am expecting #3 in May, and I would sooner have bought another crib than rushed her out of hers like I did with DS, but now we are all set. I think it also helped DD make the transition b/c she saw that her brother gets in bed and goes to sleep every night, so she gets the whole "big kids sleep in beds" thing.

My advice would be to try her in the bed sooner than later, but keep the crib available in case you need it. You'll be able to tell within a week or so if she's ready for the transition yet.

Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

IPW - They don't stop moving and DD1 was 2.5-3 before she really learned how to pull the blankets up when she was cold. 

Kristi - We baby proofed everything including the inside door knob.  ;-)  She knocks at the door when she wants out.  Now that we're daytime potty trained, I did take the door knob thingy off one day when she was upstairs playing and haven't put it back on.  She just hasn't noticed yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My son knows how to lock the door by pushing the button so make sure your door knob cover blocks them from doing that, or that you can open the door from the outside. Ours have a tiny hole that I can stick an opened paperclip in and release the lock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Our bedrood doors don't lock thankfully.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from drobee. Show drobee's posts

WE move DD just after her 2nd birthday, about 6 months before #2.  We had a bed in her room and were used to being on that bed for reading befofre bed already.  The week before we transitioned her, we spent a lot of time on the bed and talked about it, so she got excited.  Then, we put up a rail and moved her one night and moved the crib out so that there was no going back in her mind.  I was fearful like others for her getting up whenever, but she stayed in bed and called for us in the morning for almost 6 months until she started getting out on her own.  We did babyproof her room and after she would fall asleep, we'd open the door and put up a gate in her doorway. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

dz76, we did that with my son. I put a baby proof plastic thingy on the inside door knob. But he didn't mind us closing his door when he went to bed. And...it was the oddest thing...he refused to get out of bed in the morning until one of us came into his room. He'd call for us and wait patiently until one of us entered the room before he got out. We never told him to do that.
    My daughter does not like her door shut and if she wakes up and sees it shut she will scream. So babyproofing the door may not work with her. Btw we still haven't transitioned her and she'll be 3 next month. She can't climb out and she doesn't seem to mind being in her crib. So I've just been avoiding the issue altogether. Ok, Ok, a tiny part of me might not want to let her grow up! My baby can't be turning 3!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Either switch to the bed a month or two before the baby, or get one of those mini travel cribs or a bassinet or something for the baby for a while.  Anything other than having it look like Baby is kicking him out of his crib.

They have flip up bed rails that are good for new bed sleepers--the kid can get out without help by going around the end of it, but can't roll out and has to be more or less awake to get out of the bed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Our (now 3 year old) switched to a toddler bed at 18 months after demonstrating his Houdini-esque crib climbing skills. We switched him to a full sized bed recently (need the crib mattress for #2) and instead of using side rails, I rolled up some blankets into long bumpers that I stuck under the fitted sheet on the sides and at the foot of the bed. Works like an inverted moat and he hasn't fallen out once. (I find crib rails cumbersome, so initially used inflatable bumpers till our cat punctured them). Hope all goes well!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrsJay. Show MrsJay's posts

My daughter moved into her big girl bed when she was almost 3.  We made it a very fun and exciting thing - dinner out to celebrate followed by buying new sheets, pillows, blanket for her big girl bed.  I explained that the crib rule still applied where if she needed me during the night or was about to get up in the morning, she should yell for me and I would come in to her.  She was NOT to wander around the house to find me in the dark.  Just yell and I'll be here, I said.  That's worked out well.  She has never wandered and she fell out of her big girl bed once the first week but that was it.  

The biggest problem I had was while she was half asleep one morning, she tried to get out of the bed to find her blanket and somehow missed but her neck landed on the footrail!  It was like a karate chop to the neck.   She was panicking and couldn't breathe normally for a few seconds.  I was terrified!  Ever since then the footrail is padded with a folded up blanket and I padded the smallish headboard with another blanket so she wouldn't bump her head while laying back to the pillow.  This worked out great!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wisernow. Show wisernow's posts

In response to IPWBride's comment:

We're not there yet... but a question.  My DS is still all over the place in his crib.  He starts out one way and moves many times throughout the night.  I use a blanket to "tuck him in" when we put him down.  And he usually ends up on top of it, sideways with feet or butt up.  Or some such awkward looking pose.  When you do finally transition to a big kid bed, with sheets and pillows and such, do they just stop moving and stay under the bedding?

Sorry, no...our grandson sounds like your child's twin! Very active, which is a good thing! We check on him on any cooler nights to gently sckootch him over and toss a light blanket on him. He also really does not care for covers....we have a queen size bed against thewall with a long bed rail and lots of pillows around the perimeter. He's been fine.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Since this post has been renewed, I have a question.  DS, just 2 years old, is still quite happy in the crib.  And shows no signs of climbing out... so we're keeping him there for a bit.  His crib is a convertable, so we have the toddler rail, which uses the actual crib and mattress,  and just replaces the front piece.  And then it changes to a full bed with the front and back as the footboard/headboard.  I've heard suggestions from several parents already to skip the toddler bed and go straight to the bigger full bed.  One said the toddler bed is so low to the ground, much easier to get out and get up to mischief.  One said going straight to big bed leaves for one less transition, which makes sense in the long run.  We have a full mattress and box spring in the attic already (in good shape).  Anyone have experience with the toddler sized beds being great, or just going straight to the big beds (twins or fulls)?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We just have a full size futon on the floor for our 24 month old. But he is not prone to getting into trouble. We did use my snoggle as a bumper as we once found him sound asleep on the other side of the room as if he rolled there. Once we put the snoggle pillow, he stays on the mattress and he knows where to get his cup of water. If he wants to sleep in our bed (we let him sleep with us since he was six months old), he can walk in and climb in. When the baby was born, he decided the baby was too noisy and spent more nights in his room. We were surprised at his decision to go to sleep in his room. Since he moves around in his sleep, we decided on the futon mattress on the floor. Otherwise, fall is a big risk. You will have to see what works for your loved one. He may enough enough that picking out the bed and bedding will get him so excited about it that he will move out of the crib without any issues.

I know my pediatrican said to skip the toddler bed if we could and just move to twin or full when we asked about moving to a bed.