Blankets in the crib?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Blankets in the crib?

At what age did you put a blanket in the crib, if ever? DS is almost a year and I've never put a blanket over him. Now that it's getting colder I'm wondering if I should just move to warmer PJ's or if using a blanket is ok. I've read you shouldn't use a blanket until they are in a bed. Seems somewhat long to wait until then. Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Blankets in the crib?

Not a mom yet (about 3 more weeks to go), but I thought the general rule was not to put a blanket in until the baby has enough motor control to roll away or untangle themselves if the blanket ends up over their head... but I'm not sure this is the only reason to not put a blanket in...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

My son is 8 months and I've been putting a blanket on him for the past couple of weeks. He seems to really like it, never pulls it up over his face and head, but even if he did he is capable of pulling it off. Most nights I find that he has either kicked it off or rolled over onto it and I have to go cover him again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I started putting those blankets with the animal heads in the crib with DD probably when she was able to roll over pretty well, I would say 5 months.    Last winter, a little before she was 1 we started giving her a blanket to cover her when it was cold.  It never stays on so it defeats the purpose but she has always loved to have something snuggled up to her face.    We felt pretty safe giving DD a blanket when we did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We put a blanket in with our daughter at about 9 months, I think. But it was for snuggling purposes, not warmth. Babies and kids travel all around when they sleep, so you won't keep a blanket on them. We put our daughter in fleecy sleepers during the cold months, and during the very cold months we put her in a cotton one-piece with a fleecy one-piece over it. Carter's makes great pjs for this purpose because their cotton ones are form-fitting and their fleecies are baggy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I was starting to wonder about what we'll do this winter, too. We've been using a sleep-sack and a short-sleeved onesie, but I was thinking of moving to what I call feety pajamas for when it starts getting cool. DH was thinking you do that plus a sleep-sack in the winter, but I thought that seemed like too much. Do you need a light blanket on top of the feety pajamas? Ds is 6 months old right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We had to stop using a sleep sack when our daughter started pulling up on the side of her crib.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

We used the sleep sacks right up until this summer, when it was too dang hot. (DD is 22 months) She was born in November, so we swaddled as a newborn, then moved to fleecy sleep sacks paierd with long sleeved onsies or jammies when she was done with the arms at her sides. Her first summer we got a knit sleepsack and paired with shortsleeves, or even just a diaper, becasue she liked being warm. Last winter was similar to her first winter - fleece sleepsack with long sleeves under. I don't think she'll do the sleep sacks anymore though, so we bought some blanket sleepers and fleece jammies for this winter. Doubling up with knit under fleece is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

In Response to Re: Blankets in the crib?:
    We used the sleep sacks right up until this summer, when it was too dang hot. (DD is 22 months) She was born in November, so we swaddled as a newborn, then moved to fleecy sleep sacks paierd with long sleeved onsies or jammies when she was done with the arms at her sides. Her first summer we got a knit sleepsack and paired with shortsleeves, or even just a diaper, becasue she liked being warm. Last winter was similar to her first winter - fleece sleepsack with long sleeves under. I don't think she'll do the sleep sacks anymore though, so we bought some blanket sleepers and fleece jammies for this winter. Doubling up with knit under fleece is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.
    Posted by amy-lynn

Amy-Lynn: what's a blanket sleeper?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Someone actually went through the trouble of writing this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_sleeper

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Thanks lemon! Wow, what a complete definition (someone must have had a slow day at work!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaylake. Show jaylake's posts

Halo makes these, basically a sleepsack for walkers.

https://www.halosleep.com/products/gallery_pop-up/?product_id=273&gallery_asset=2095

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Ok... here's my area of rule breaking... don't think I'm terrible please.  I have used a blanket since day 1.  DS was born in the dead of winter, when we had all those snow and ice storms two years ago and the sleep sacks got more tangled on him than anything until he was a little bigger to fill them out.  I followed 2 rules of thumb with the rule-breaking: 1.  I always used natural material (cotton) knitted or afghan style blankets for maximum air flow and 2. I always followed the advice that if you are going to break rules and put a blanket on, it should be tucked around the edges of the mattress and only come up to the abdomen.  Now that DS is bigger, I don't tuck and just lay one on him when we put him down. He's a big fan of his "banket" on him when he's ready to go to sleep.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We used a flannel swaddle until our daughter started fighting out of it, around 6 months. After  that we switched to the sleep sack, but only for a couple weeks as it was almost summer then. I have to say that I found the sack kind of aggravating too -- my big fear was how the zipper bunched the fabric over her face. But I am insane. I always thought she was going to die until she got Too Big to Fail.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I did find a random brand of sleep sacks that came with PJs at Marshalls or TJMaxx that zipped on the side and then the arms snapped over like overalls.  100% less bunchy than the ones that zip in front.  As I prepare for #2, I hope I can find some more similar ones.  If we did use the one that zipped in front by HALO, the cotton ones were way better (less bunchy and tangled) than the fleece ones.  It seemed so cold that once he filled out a sleep sack, I still kept one light blanket on him with it.  Another poster may have mentioned this, but I've seen sleep sacks with legs in the One Step Ahead catalog for walkers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I've been using blankets since day one also. My daughter never rolled around when she slept and I tucked it into the sides of the mattress. She's one now, and I let her use a pillow as well, it's a very flat, not very fluffy pillow, and she always lays her head on it when she goes to sleep.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

We used a fleece swaddle as a newborn (Feb '09 baby) and then switched to fleece or cotton sleep sacks until just this past summer. Beginning in June, I found that DS:
    1) wanted a pillow like mom and dad, and
    2) had outgrown his latest sleep sack and I didn't want to buy them anymore (plus it was too hot this summer for blankets or sleep sacks).

I'm now beginning to struggle with how to keep him warm.  We added a small pillow that came with his crib bedding in June (15-16 months old) and started putting a blanket in there with him so he could get used to it for this winter.  I'm struggling now with keeping him warm since he won't keep the blanket on during the night.  We'll probably go the blanket sleeper route too...possibly over a onesie or cotton sleeper if needed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

DS never got a blanket put on top of him until he was about 12 months.

We swaddled from the beginning and bed-shared.  But for napping, when it got cold in the winter and he was around 9 months old, I took a piece of faux sheepskin and put it under his fitted sheet for extra warmth and switched to flannel.  He was dressed in a onesie and fleece/blanket sleepers for warmth.  His security blankie is an Aden + Anais swaddle blanket which has a very open weave and a very small barefoot dreams blanket which is only about 12" x 12".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Ah, put us in the cheating category, DS has pretty much always had a blanet-the good thing with winter babies is when it's really cold they aren't moving that much, so a knit afghan placed over their trunks and legs keep them warm. then it's warmer and they're moving so no blanket is needed.

DS LOVES his blankets and uses them as pillows and snuggles his face right into it. It freaks us out so as soon as he's asleep we sneak in a reposition it so it's ontop of him.

Now that DS is expressing opintions about what he wears I'm worried about getting him into the warmer fleece PJs with feet...the boy loves to pick out fun socks and just wear those...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We're a SleepSac family.  Last winter we used the fleece ones with footie pj's.  They also have warm fuzzy ones (velboa? or something) that we liked.  My twins are 14 months old and move all over the crib - I can't imagine a blanket would help.  I'm sticking with fleece sleepsacs and footies. If it's really cold I'll add a tshirt underneath.  (Or turn the heat up a notch).
    I think a blanket would have me checking on them all night long to make sure they weren't tangled in it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I loved using the sleepsacks on DS last winter but figured it wasn't an option anymore now that he is walking. Thanks jaylake for posting the picture of the sleepsack for walkers - awesome. I will have to get some.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

My son used his regular sleep sack well after he started walking.  It was long enough and roomy enough that he could still stand up and walk moderately well around his crib.  Anecdotally, I've heard that the longer you use a sleep sack, the less likely it is that a toddler will discover they can climb out of the crib.  (Note:  I have absolutely zero data on this...it's just that people I know personally that used sleepsacks well past 1 year old still have toddlers of 2+ sleeping in cribs.  Many other parents who did not use sleep sacks had little climbers on their hands from about 18 months old or so and have since switched to toddler beds and a whole new set of problems.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Anecdotally, my 22 month old (who used sleep sacs until the heat this summer) still isn't a crib climber. If the sleep sac had anything to with it, I don't know, but while she will stand up and cry & shout in her crib, she hasn't tried climbing out. And she loves to climb all over the rest of our furniture, so it's not that she is timid about climbing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

amy-lynn, my daughter is the same way. She's like Sir Edmund Hillary on our furniture and stairs, but I think it just hasn't occurred to her that she could escape the crib if she tried. Thank goodness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Lemon - Agreed - the day she figures out that she can climb the crib I will be a very unhappy mommy. I get freaked out enough when she launches herself off the ottoman at DH or myself, and they are only about 14 inches high.

Sections
Shortcuts