Blocked Tear Duct

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red0320. Show Red0320's posts

Blocked Tear Duct

My daughter is almost 7 months old and has two blocked tear ducts. My pedi isn't concerned but I want to get her checked out by a pediatric opthomologist. Any names?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Re: Blocked Tear Duct

RED0320 -- Can your pedi give you a referral to someone who will give a second opinion? Also, you don't say why you disagree with pedi or how much of an issue it is, but if you're not confident that he/she is hearing your concerns, you might also consider looking for a new pediatrician.

For what it's worth, my son had a blocked duct, and warm compresses and little massage helped clear it up. Our pedi said not to worry about it unless it looked as though it had become infected. Hope your daughter is okay.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Red-my DS had a blocked tear duct and his pedi said that they typically clear up by 1 year, and they only refer babies at 15 mo-and the doc they refer to only does something about it at 2 or 2.5 years since 90% of cases clear up on their own.

Like Hot-Totamto said warm compresses and massage help, but in our case didn't cure. Eventually DS' became unblocked.

Is there something about it that is really concerning you? Does she seem uncomfortable? (It never seemed to bother DS-just other people).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My DD also had a blocked tear duct. It got all goopy a few times, but warm compresses really help. The first time it happened the pedi also gave us an antibiotic ointment in case she had pinkeye, but after that first time when I brought her in to be checked out they just recomended compresses and keeping an eye on it for any redness/or excessive rubbing (sign of discomfort). She didn't rub it, or seem bothered by it. She is now almost a year old, and hasn't had any problems in months. I would wait and see unless your DD seems to be in pain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67toppsrule. Show 67toppsrule's posts

In Response to Blocked Tear Duct:
    [QUOTE]My daughter is almost 7 months old and has two blocked tear ducts. My pedi isn't concerned but I want to get her checked out by a pediatric opthomologist. Any names?
    Posted by Red0320[/QUOTE]

Our daughter had the same problem, and we had great success with Dr. Blocker in Framingham. You don't mention where you're located, but if you're close to Framingham, his office is worth the ride. If you end up needing a procedure to open the duct, it is quick and painless and usually works on one attempt. Good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dr. Blocker?  Does no one else see the humor?  :)