Book suggestions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Book suggestions

Anyone have a recommendation for a good board book for us to read to our two year old who has suddenly developed a fear of going to sleep at night? We have found reading books to be an effective way of communicating to her in the past because she loves for us to read to her and seems to pay attention to the message of the book. Ideally looking for something fairly short and to the point due to her tiny toddler attention span. I tried looking on Barnes and Noble and Amazon and have a few ideas but I figured you ladies may have some good suggestions of books you and your toddlers enjoyed about sleep/bedtime. TIA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Book suggestions

We like Sandra Boynton books - she has two good ones all about sleep.
    Snoozers
    and
    The Going to Bed Book
    ...and Pajama Time too

None of them specifically address fears - but they are fun

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Our favorite nighttime books - none addresses nighttime fears directly, but all are sweet and soothing - are

Goodnight Moon (most soothing bedtime book ever)
    Goodnight Gorilla (which is silly)
    Hush Little Baby (alternative words to the usually nursery rhyme version)

Also, does your little one have a night light? We got my now 4yo one at Magic Beans that is a little red rocket that he can put on his nightstand or hold. (It would be safe in a crib too - no little parts). They come in a few shapes. Might be a comfort.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Misslily's suggestion is handily here in a 7-story collection by Boynton.  It's only 9 bucks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from InfiniteDreams. Show InfiniteDreams's posts

I'm a fan of Llama Llama Red Pajama. A friend of mine teaches 2-3 year-olds and recommends this book when parents mention bedtime fears.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

We used the books mentioned above, but also tried to focus on the awesome things about bedtime.  Picking a special doll to sleep with, a special song or snuggle, getting tucked in tight, and we got a little light that projects stars onto the walls and ceiling.  It makes the room a little brighter and helps them fall asleep under the stars:

I noticed they were on sale at Babies R Us yesterday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bricky. Show Bricky's posts

Go to Bed, Ed.

It's cute, funny and does address how "Ed" conquers his fears.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bricky. Show Bricky's posts

oh, sorry..

the title is "Back to Bed, Ed."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We also love "The Going to Bed Book" and "Goodnight Moon"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

This one is our favorite! It's french. I like their incredibly messy house.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Claire-Masurel/dp/0811811697/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323365531&sr=1-5

I personally find this book very annoying, but my daughter likes it:

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Bed-mem-fox/dp/B000NRO9WK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323365513&sr=8-2

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! We already have (and love) the Sandra Boynton books and Good Night Moon. I will definitely be checking out Llama Llama and Back to Bed, Ed - sounds like both will address bedtime/sleep fears and hopefully provide an outlet for my daughter to express her own fears. She does have a nightlight in the room and a Seahorse stuffed animal whose belly glows in the dark and plays music. I am fairly certain her fears are mommy and daddy separation related since she seems to nap fine at daycare and she was fine at home over the weekend the night her Grammy put her to bed. She's been through many different stages throughout her life and has had various fears/dislikes along the way, some sleep related, some food related, some bath related, and most went away after a month or two and on to the next thing. I'm hoping this fear will be the same way!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I'll see you in the morning by Mike Jolly. It doesn't specifically address fears, but I have now found myself repeating some of the lines when I leave the room... definately themes of parental separation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I forgot about Llama LLama - it would be great for a little one who is afraid.  I put ours away because my twins were too young when my mother bought it. She also got the little llama to go with the book. My DD does love to take his pajamas off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I hated those Llama books. Not the content -- the pictures. The llamas grossed me out with their creepy llama legs. I like Llamas in real life, I just don't like them gussied up like people, grabbing at people stuff with their hooves. There's something about them that repulses me on a very primal level. Probably a past-life recall where I oppressed pagans and their pan-god. That faun in The Lion, The Witch, etc. always grossed me out too. Mr. Tibbets or whatever his name was. Put on some pants, you creep. Stop hanging out by the lampost waiting for small children to happen by.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

"That faun in The Lion, The Witch, etc. always grossed me out too. Mr. Tibbets or whatever his name was. Put on some pants, you creep. Stop hanging out by the lampost waiting for small children to happen by."

Oh, lemon, this cracked me up. My 9yo is reading this in school now, and, having never read it, I've been reading it too.  I sorta had the same thought.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

He's a Quisling, too! Repulsive half-man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

*shudder*

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Mr. Tumnus.

Sections
Shortcuts