Booster seat indecisiveness

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

Booster seat indecisiveness

I need some help making my decision on which booster seat to buy my almost 3 year old.  She is 38" tall and 37 pounds and is almost outgrown her Britax roundabout so I am in need of a new seat.  From what I have been reading it is safest to keep children in the 5 point harness for as long as possible.  Graco makes the Nautilus 3 in 1 booster seat that can keep a child harnessed up to 65 pounds then convert to a typical highback or backless booster until they are 100 pounds.  This sounds ideal except for I keep reading that the crotch strap is placed so far back in the seat that taller kids are sitting on them making the harness unable for use (per manufacturer suggestion).  My daughter is tall so I'm worried this would be the situation for her.  My other option is the Graco Turbobooster, which gets very high remarks and safety ratings, but it does not have the 5 point harness.  I really like the fact that the Turbobooster is so much lighter and much easier to transfer in and out of cars.  So do I go with the bulkier 3 in 1 with a chance that the 5 point harness will only be in use for a very short period of time or the Turbobooster that is lighter and more convenient but without the added safety of the harness?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Re: Booster seat indecisiveness

I'm not familiar with the seats you've mentioned, but I can give you my experience with regard to the 5 point harness and a big kid.  

My son was 38 lbs and 38 inches at two years old, so I bought a Britax Marathon (5 pt.), which he used until he outgrew the height (not weight) limit at over 5 1/2 years!  People thought I was nuts but he liked it and never complained.  I then got a Britax Parkway high back booster, which he happily used until he was 8 (then switched to a no back).  

Although he technically fit in the Marathon, his legs would sometimes fall asleep because they hung over too much, but I thought that was unavoidable.  However, once I got the booster, I realized his legs rested much more comfortably, so I probably should have gotten it a little sooner.  

I bet you'd get a solid two years out of the five point, so it doesn't seem like a waste to me. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I'm curious about this also. My 3yo is 39" and 30 lbs and her brother will soon be out of his infant carrier.  She is in an Evenflo (Triumph? I think) and she just doesn't seem to fit right any more, with her knees rubbing against the front seat when DH is driving (in an SUV)  In our smaller car she is in a Radian which is more like a booster and she seems much more comfortable/fits better.

I can't seem to find clear info on what the actual guidelines are at this point.  What I'd like to do is move DS into the Evenflo and DD into whatever the appropriate next thing is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We just bought a Britax Frontier.  It's awesome.  We were looking at both the Nautilus and the Frontier and decided on the Frontier.  Amazon had it for $220.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

We have the Nautilus 3 in 1 booster seat for our 2.5 y/o DD who is ~35 lbs and 38 inches. We bought it to replace her Britax Roundabout.  I haven't had any issues with the carseat's 5 point harness once we addjusted them to fit her size (we bought the seat while I was very pregnant with our 5.5 month old DS and DD, so DH put the seat in and didn't look to see if the straps should be adjusted.  He just complained about her not fitting in the seat. Husbands! ;-))

Once I raised the arm straps and moved the crotch strap out to the second slot she fit perfectly.  She loves the cupholder and the little storage cubbys on the sides of her armrests.

In DH's Chevy Colbalt, we have a Britax Marathon. It's ok but I don't feel that it was worth the money in comparison to the Graco and its costs.  Plus DD gets her head bonked everyother time we put her in it (which isn't that often) because it seat so high in the car and she is so tall.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

I was doing more research after I posted this morning and I think the way to go is the Britax Frontier.  It allows for more room in the crotch area and, supposedly, the belt position adjusts more easily. 
    Lostgrouse- I'm glad to read that you like the Frontier.  Even though it is on the pricier side it is worth it for the added safety and , not to mention, it will last until she no longer needs a car seat.

Thanks for the advice so far!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Yeah, sorry my post wasn't informative about what I liked better about it... it got great reviews and the crotch strap issue of the Nautilus and the fact that you had to re-thread the N to adjust the shoulder straps sealed the deal for us.  Also, if you must know, the Frontier is pretty easy to clean since I got first hand knowledge of that fact when my daughter yakked in it on it's maiden voyage.  

Enjoy!

Sections
Shortcuts