Bottle at Bedtime Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Bottle at Bedtime Question

Hi all, 

Was wondering (especially for all of you with babies around the same age- DS is almost 9 months), what your bedtime routines are?  I've been reading a lot about not giving a bottle right before bed due to teeth decay etc.  

I've always nursed DS to sleep and when I stopped nursing a month ago, we now give him a bottle instead at bedtime.  Is this really bad to do?  It relaxes him, and although he isn't completely asleep when he is finished, he is pretty much lights out after.  

I'd love to hear what folks do if not nursing to sleep or bottle.  When do you give the last bottle (in relation to bed, and also dinner)?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: Bottle at Bedtime Question

Morning Eva,
    My DS is 7 1/2 mths.  We usually get home around 5:15pm after picking him up.  Between 5:30-5:45, he eats one container/pouch of dinner (either Gerber organics or Ella's Kitchen/Happy Baby pouches) and then some kind of "solid" food after to practice chewing/have fun.  (Watermelon, banana, puffs, avocado, etc.)  He's getting really good so I think more table food is right around the corner!  We don't do a bath every night as DS has dry skin, so if its a bath night, he'll bath around 6pm, then PJs, then some playing for 15-20.  Bottle ideally around 6:30pm and we try for a few books after.  Bedtime is 7pm.  (nights we don't do bath ideally I walk around the neighborhood with stroller for 20 mins, that is when its not raining, so haven't done that in a while).
    If DS had bad nap that afternoon, sometimes he will be almost asleep after the bottle and I put him down right away.  I try so hard to put him down awake, which has really helped him with his sleeping habits.  So if I see he's really tired that afternoon, I'll move the bottle up just a bit so he doesn't fall asleep while drinking.
    The bottle definitely does get him very sleepy, would be hard to play after, so I do also think about the eventual teeth issues and would love to hear what others are doing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Well, if it's any consolation, we still give DD (13 months) a bottle of warm milk before bed.  FWIW, I've heard that the nighttime bottle is the hardest to give up.  My pedi doesn't really care, but I guess I should.  It's just so easy to get her down that way though! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i thought the concern over giving a bottle at bed was literally a bottle AT bed - as in IN bed, with the baby falling asleep with the bottle in his/her mouth.  ?

our routine is to do our last solid food meal at 5pm, followed by bottle, followed by baths, followed by playtime until 6:45 if we can make it - and then we do a bottle top-off and put the babies to bed.  hmm...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Stefani - i think you are right, I think the tooth decay issue is when the take the bottle into bed with them. DD always has a bottle of milk/formula before bed.  It was the hardest to get rid of but we did at 18 months.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

ours is similar to what's already posted (DS is 9mo)

Home by 5:30, dinner with all of us by 6:15 or so (mush of some sort for him, starting to add finger foods) and formula in a sippy.  Bath by 7 and then books, bottle and bed... usually without much fuss and he's asleep by the time DD goes in around 8.

I would prefer not to give him a bottle right at bed time, as I am convinved it's making it harder for him to get back to sleep when he wakes at night but I have no idea how else to fit it in!  Not to mention it's virtually fool proof when it comes to getting him down... with DD I had her off bottles and formula a couple of weeks before she turned 1, but I am expecting this bed time bottle is going to be a tough habit to break!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Sorry to hijack - and I'm not close to this yet, but at 1 year old, do you just stop the formula one day?  Right now, DS gets 5 4oz bottles a day and 3 2-3oz meals a day.  Does he just go to 3 meals a day when they hit 1 year old?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

IPW- Sometimes the cold turkey method works but not that often. We tried at 1 to get DD off the bottle and formula at the same time but did not work for us.  I think by the time DD was 1 she was on three bottles a day with 3 meals and a snack or 2.   She did not take to the milk right away so we mixed formula and milk bringing up the ounces of milk as we decreaed the ounces for formula and evetually she was all milk.  then we took away the afternoon bottle, then the morning and finaly the bedtime.  The afternoon and morning bottles we took away pretty easily, the bedtime one was a little bit harder.  DD pedi said as long as she was off by 18 months we were fine.  We took it away at 18 month and that was it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Phew...I feel much better.  I too thought bottle being bad at bed meant in bed so didn't pay too much attention until recently.  

We just had our 9 month appt (well, he was 8.5 months), and she talked about starting the sippy cup and getting away from the bottle by the time he is 1, so I started to look it up more online.  He loves the sippy cup (we usually put water in it), so I think that will be an easy transition, but the magic of the bedtime bottle is a toughie, so glad to hear the consensus is that it isn't terrible!  I do brush his teeth/gums after dinner (right now, cereal, yobaby, and mushy other stuff), and in the morning.

We are going to add in breakfast at 9months (next week), and I anticipate the other bottles won't be tough to get rid of, but was worried about the nighttime one.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

IPW - to answer your question.  yes - you stop feeding formula at 12 months.  Some go cold turkey and some wean - we mixed formula with whole milk 25%-75% for 3 days then 50/50 and finally made the switch to whole milk.  They need between 16-24 ounces of milk every day.  We mostly have milk at meals and water/juice for snacks.  But my kids love a yogurt smoothie as a snack after nap.
    And it's 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. They can't make it from bfast to lunch or lunch to dinner without a little snack - usually at 10:00 and 2:30 or 3:00 depending on when your meals are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

With DD we never gave milk in the bottle or formula in the sippy, but with DS being sick so much over the winter, we used the sippy to help keep him hydrated and he mastered it early.  So since I'm not ready to start transitioing to milk yet, he gets formula with his meals, sometimes water.  He's tried milk with success, and we'll start in a few weeks with it more.  Every kid is different, so like most other things kid-related, you just need to keep adjusting until you kind what works.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Any recommendations on sippys?  DD is intrigued by them but is struggling with the coordination part of things.  I also think the one we have is hard to drink out of. 

It was much easier when I just had to give her bottles.  Trying to keep her alive on real food is stressful.  (BTW, don't call it "human food" in front of your pedi.  Concerned looks will ensue.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I was told that the no spill sippy cups are harder for LO to use so we bought the regular ones.  DD hasn't had a problem with them but she gets water everywhere.  I'm not sure which brand I used, I bought them at Isis. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I have tried the Avent ones, which DS likes.  I like how you can take the insert out (perhaps you can with others too...).  So I sometimes take the insert out so the water can just pour out of the spout.  I do it a few times, pour a little water into his mouth so he sees that something comes out of that spout, then put the insert back in, and he seems to get the idea then that he can get the water out himself.  I have had to do this charade a few times.  When I just hand him the sippy with the no-leak valve already in... he just chomps on the valve.  He also hasn't figured out he need to tip it upwards however.  
    He's actually getting quite lazy these days.  A few months ago he'd reach for the bottle and "hold" it himself.  Now, I can't even keep his hands on the bottle if I try... he wants it done for him!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Bottle at Bedtime Question:
    (BTW, don't call it "human food" in front of your pedi.  Concerned looks will ensue.)
    Posted by GC1016

I'll warn DH, who calls it "people food", haha.

We also currently do a bottle or nursing at bedtime (depending upon who's doing bedtime) with DD (7 months).  I keep thinking, "Should I stop nursing her to sleep every night???" yet keep doing it night after night.  A friend of mine switched up her DD's bedtime routine around 6 months and started doing the bottle/nursing first, then pj's, books, etc.  It worked for them, but I think her daughter went to sleep pretty agreeably.  I'm not sure that would be the case in my household, especially now that DD's decided it's much more fun being up with the people than alone in the crib.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: sippy cups. The SLP who works with my DS around his eating issues strongly suggested that we use no-valve sippys. We first bought Tilty cups (which have an insert that keeps LOs from bending their necks back so far to get at the liquid). Good, but expensive. Honestly, DS has loved the cheapo Take and Toss sippys the best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

IPW - I have the same lazy child!  She totally stopped trying to hold the bottle!  She will hold a sippy cup though - I am going to have to try the no-valve since I don't think she can get anything out.

As for the original post - we never really linked the bottle to bedtime except when she was really little . Mostly this was due to bad reflux so we didn't want to put her down after feeding - totally had it's drawbacks when she was younger!  We usually give a bottle downstairs and then bring her up for bath/book/bedtime.

She is getting exceptionally good at going to sleep after much training.  You go girl!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelsagem. Show jewelsagem's posts

In Response to Re: Bottle at Bedtime Question:
     I keep thinking, "Should I stop nursing her to sleep every night???" yet keep doing it night after night. 

Poppy I do the same thing with DD, now almost 8 months!  I think this but then reassure myself that it's fine.  At this point if I'm not nursing her before bed, that drastically reduces our quality nursing time (on work days), so I'm not too worried about it.  Hard to think about stopping it someday though!

Eva I think the bedtime bottle is okay & agree with the others that it's the prolonged contact of milk with the teeth that's problematic in babies who bring a bottle into bed.  The milk & cuddle time before bed is just too precious :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

GC I totally agree with you about the stress!  We have also started giving DS more finger foods and I'm starting to stress about being able to give DS a balanced meal.  I am sick of purees but at least I know he is getting everything he needs from them!

So I hadn't given this a whole lot of thought but now this post has me thinking.  Lately DS is sometimes skipping his night nursing and it was freaking me out but maybe I shouldn't worry? (he is 8.5 months) The thing is that if he doesn't nurse at night he often wakes up at some point wanting to eat.  (He cries and cries and the only thing that works is nursing him.)  Should I give him more during the day??  We just started "lunch" about a week ago so he gets breakfast, lunch and dinner and nurses usually 4x but sometimes it is only 3 lately because of the dropped nursing before bed.

We have a similar schedule as others.  Dinner around 5/5:30, play, sometimes bath (usually I do the baths in the morning but that will soon have to change!), pj's, nurse, singing/books, bed. I figure I will add in brushing teeth after nursing when he gets teeth...none so far!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I also think I have heard that the concern about teeth decay has to do with babies actually falling asleep with the bottle in their mouths... But I'm a newbie so don't listen to me :o)

This is part of why daycare is stressing me out (no worries - I'll get over it).  Right now DD does eat, play, sleep.  So at night she eats around 6:00-7:00, we hang out in her room, and then she goes to sleep.  I have a feeling from her daycare visits so far, that the routine is going to switch to eating and then sleeping right away.  But we'll cross that bridge later!  I'm sure the daycare provider will figure out her own way of getting DD to nap.

Do some of you do the bath after the last feeding?  With DD's current routine, I think it would be OK because she's usually alert after her last feeding anyway... So far we've tried to do the bath before the last feeding, but it will be harder when I'm not home until 5:45.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I always thought the biggest concern was letting baby take the bottle to bed, that the baby would drink from the bottle and fall asleep and so milk would remain unswallowed and on the teeth.  I used to give my daughter a bottle of formula or breast milk before bed, but we were upright in a chair.  We stopped the bottle at a year, transitioned to a sippy with milk and then transitioned to water. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

If you do the bath after the night feeding it really, really helps with weaning off the bedtime feeding later.  I wish I had done it that way. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Poppy - you may be surprised at how easily your DD could switch up the routine and change the order a bit.  I felt the same as you but I was trying to get rid of a nighttime awakening and around 9 months I finally stopped doing the bottle right at bedtime and started to put my DD down awake.  I was sure that a ton of crying would ensue, but to my surprise my DD usually just rolls around a bit and goes right to sleep.  I also think this helped eliminate the middle of the night waking, and we do the same routine for naps too and she has done fine.  May be worth a try!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Memes - We will probably start trying that soon, as she's doing lots of wakeups within the hour after we put her down.  So I think something needs to change.

This post has me realizing how many different routines there are out there, and has raised some questions for me (being a first time mom and feeling a bit green):

1.  DD is 7 months and we still only do a 1x per week bath.  I haven't mentioned to my pedi recently... should we perhaps be thinking about doing more?  I don't really see the point of every night or every other, since I wash her face and wipe her "privates" with a wet cloth every day.  the rest of her doesn't get very dirty!

2.  I *cannot* seem to do any books during our bedtime routine.  I get about halfway through a book (and we're not talking War and Peace, we're talking 5 page Sandra Boynton) and DD is DONE with the book.  It makes me sad, because I am such a reader and want her to love books!  I think she gets anxious to get to the feeding part, so maybe if I try switching up the routine and do the nursing first we'll be able to get through a book... has anyone had experience with babies not being crazy about books, but turning into toddlers who are?

ETA: Evavase - sorry to hijack!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

(Poppy--we only bathe our 2-year-olds two times a week, and only did 2 or 3 times a week when they were your DD's age.  We did get to a point when they managed to run their grimy, food-covered hands through their hair EVERY NIGHT at dinner, thus necessitating a nightly bath, but as that phase has mostly gone away, we're back to a couple times a week.  I agree that as long as you are cleaning the parts that get dirty as needed that there is no need to give them baths every day unless you want to/it helps them settle down for bed/they enjoy it.)

Sections
Shortcuts