bottle feeding - lying down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

bottle feeding - lying down

Hi all - quick question for you before I call pediatrician... is there any harm in feeding a baby from a bottle while they are lying down?  I didn't realize my MIL and DH bottle-feed DD (almost 7 months) while she is lying on her back on a pillow in their laps.  I'm never home to observe bottle-feeding, and I don't ever feed her from a bottle myself.  I happened to be home this morning while my MIL fed her. 

Do I need to bother calling pedi or worrying about this?  It just seems unnatural to drink while lying on ones back... but she doesnt' have any reflux issues, so perhaps it doesn't matter?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: bottle feeding - lying down

If she seems to be ok, I would not see an issue with it.  The pillow may be lifting her up a little to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I propped my kids up a bit, but DD used to spit up.  If she's not spitting up, i'm sure she's fine.  I know people who put their kids in cribs with a bottle and let them suckle themselves to sleep.  I never did this, but I read about it because it's one of those bad habits you eventually need to break during sleep training.
    I'm sure she's fine, but if it worries you, ask them to prop her up a bit more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I'm pretty sure I've read that it can sort of travel up the back of the throat to the eustachian tubes, causing ear infections.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

My strong willed DS has insisted on feeding himself since he was 5.5 months which was likely encouraged by day care since she has 2 other children to take care of.  Every morning we lay him on the boppy with his bottle and he sucks it back.  He also has never had an ear infection but every child is different.  I would say your DD is likely ok if she isn't spitting up.  If it makes you feel better, ask your MIL and DH to prop her up more.  Easy fix!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

This is not bottle feeding, so I don't know if it would be different, but I nurse our LO lying down all the time.  Sometimes she rolls up on her side but sometimes she lies on her back and just turns her head to the side.
    So far, so good.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Yeah I think that I heard something about ear infections too once, but I don't know if there's any stock in it.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, all.  CQ - easier said than done... :/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy, I have to laugh!  SO MUCH easier said than done with MILs... right!! :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

IPW - so funny you should comment, I'm about to write you a personal message re: something you mentioned in your TV post...

Sections
Shortcuts