Breakfast food for daycare

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Breakfast food for daycare

Hi Everyone,
       We are starting a new daycare on Monday and I now have to send breakfast with her.  Does anyone have suggestions? I was going to send yogurt and cereal and fruit but I don't want her to have the same thing all the time.  Also, do you think it would be okay to make scrambled eggs the night before and then have daycare just heat them up?  I wonder how they would taste?  Samething thing for pancakes and waffles....Do I make them the night before and have them just reheated?  My husband thinks I am making a big deal about nothing, but I know what a picky eater she is so I don't want to send something that she won't eat.  Thanks everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: Breakfast food for daycare

you may want to ask what they have. my daycare has cheerios, bananas to cut up, etc. so they have a few things to try if she doesn't want what you sent.

I have sent eggs to be reheated, as well as pancakes before. My DS tends to prefer things lukewarm only, so they don't get as rubbery during reheating.  my DS tends to get fruit and yogurt and cereal pretty much everyday, sometimes he gets a cereal bar too or in place of, but since they can change stuff up, it isn't as much of an issue. 

depending on the daycare, some are ok with you leaving extra stuff in the fridge, but it depends on the center.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I buy mini waffles and send one of those (earth's best as well as other brands.  they are a perfect size).  DD also usually has cheerios and/or fruit that the center provides.  Also, I am not sure what your daycare's food policies are, but the one that my DD goes to has a "no egg" policy due to some children being allergic.  I wish I could send scrambled eggs because DD loves them.  You may want to check with your center first before sending eggs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Our LO gets cereal and yogurt and fruit pretty much every time as well, although I am going to try sending waffles this week.
    Do they have a bin/cubby for backup food?  I filled ours with crackers, yogurt melts, dry cereal (she likes oat flakes plain), and a couple of pouches.  Plain fruit or fruit/veggie pouches in flavors I know she likes, as well as a couple of yogurt pouches.  Earth's Best makes them now and they are shelf stable -- they are the ones with sesame street characters on them.  They are ridiculously expensive, but since she will almost always eat yogurt, it makes me happy to know she has something filling as backup just in case.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTSept06. Show CTSept06's posts

I struggle with this too. We've stocked our freezer with individually wrapped waffle sections, pancakes and omelets so that we can just grab them the night before and let them thaw in the fridge and they reheat at daycare. For a while I would also make a small batch of oatmeal on the weekend and mix in fruit or purees and send that a couple of days/week, that seemed to reheat ok too.  French toast is ok to reheat, but I haven't tried freezing it, not sure how that would be. Now that she is a little older she likes the bagel thins with cream cheese or another spread that I send as a sandwich.  Hope this helps! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

does she like hard boiled eggs?  I feel like I would personally prefer to eat a hard boiled egg cold than scrambled eggs cold.  I don't know if your kid will necessarily notice if she's eating the same thing for breakfast.  IF she likes yogurt she might never care if she eats it every day.  Boring = Easy! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

Thanks everyone! 

I never thought to ask about what foods I couldn't send due to allergies.  Great Tip!

I am also going to see if I can just stock up and leave stuff there that I know she loves; Cheerios, yogurt melts, PB crackers, and cereal bars.

I am feeling a lot better, I worry about everything and I hate that about myself, lol!  Thanks Again!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I would second on the squeeze pouches (fruit/veggie ones and yogurt) if your LO likes them. We put a bunch each week in his bin, and they use that when the menu includes food he is allergic to, or when he has rejected the menu items.

Check with the teachers on the policies - our daycare is a peanut free daycare (they request that none of the food brought in from home have peanuts since teachers would have to handle the food too so it could still affect children who have peanut allergies, and at the younger age, parents may not even know if their children are allergic to peanuts).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

We do a mix of pancake or waffle most days, and sometimes an english muffin.  I sometimes sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the pancakes to give them a bit more taste.

Also send fruit and a breakfast sausage link too, which is his favorite.  We buy the lite ones that are made partially with rice. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My kids are at home and eat the same thing most mornings! We have every Eggo product available - waffles, french toast sticks, pancakes. I sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar if need be.
    We also eat cheerios sometimes or an english muffin.
    And I always do some fruit.  Breakfast favorites seem to be bananas or blueberries.  Strawberries once in a while too.
    And yogurt smoothies right out of a sippy cup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Breakfast food for daycare:
    [QUOTE]And yogurt smoothies right out of a sippy cup.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

This is what I need!!  Does the yogurt work in a regular sippy cup or do you have special ones?  We have been giving her yogurt with a straw because she eats so much it takes forever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I use Stonyfield smoothies and also Danimal Smoothies.  You could probably also take the regular yogurt and mix it with some milk to thin it out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Do you put it in an ordinary sippy cup, though?  Or are the holes too small?  I saw a sippy cup with a "smoothie top" but this may be unnecessary...
    I guess I can just try it and find out!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wouldn't assume off the bat that having the same thing every day would be a problem.  I know plenty of people who eat the same breakfast every day for decades quite happily.  Only worry about it if she starts putting up a fuss; otherwise, assume she's content.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Yeah Medford - I just put it in the Playtex with the valves that we use for juice.  It will probably work in a take and toss as well.
    I've actually given them McDonalds milkshakes in the playtex with the valves - it's too thick for the take and toss though.
    (I suppose the food police will come after me now!)