Breastfeeding and Pumping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Breastfeeding and Pumping

Currently I am solely breastfeeding my 3 week old.  I was wondering about those of you that breastfeed and pump. When did you start pumping?  How often do you pump in a day in addition to the breastfeeding (2x a day 3x a day)? What is a good time to pump? Thanks for any advice, recommendations, stories?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping

I started introducing a bottle at about 4-5 weeks and so I would pump about 2 hours or so after the last feeding so that it was a replacement for that feeding.  However, I had major oversupply issues anyway which may have been caused by pumping in the hospital because my daughter had some latch issues, so really I never had an issue with timing my pumps b/c I had so much milk anyway.  I only pumped once a day or really once every other day around that time so that my husband could feed her a bottle.  I went back to work at 10 weeks and she never had an issue with taking a bottle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Ha ha, I am pumping as I type this while she (3 months old) is in her swing.  I think it varies greatly from person to person.  Your supply will be at it's peak now so I would pump as much as you can (after a feeding to empty out).  I just introduced a bottle to her last Friday because I am going back to work this Friday and she was fine with it although I remember my other 2 refusing it at first.  Another good idea is to pump on one side while she nurses on the other.  Good Luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good question, LLE, and one I've wondered about as well...

Lost Grouse, if you pump 2 hours after a feeding, wouldn't that normally be when you would be doing the next feeding?  so what would your baby do while you were pumping? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I started pumping when DD was 4 weeks and that was purely to get her used to taking the bottle as I knew she'd be in daycare at 12 weeks old when I went back to work.  This was the recommendation of my pedi.  I would recommend pumping after your earliest feedings in the morning because morning is when your supply is the greatest.  I didn't know this though, and I pumped later in the day which resulted in less milk and made me frustrated.  We gave DD 1 bottle at night once or twice a week from that time and she's never had any bottle issues. 

I'm not sure what hospital you gave birth at, but I'd recommending seeing if your hospital has a BF support group.  Support groups can be such a great resource.  I gave birth at NWH and they have a great group!  Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks for the info.  I did start going to a bfing group last week and plan on bringing it up there as well.  I'm not sure I have a great supply as it is as DS doesn't eat for very long and I just don't feel like my b**bs are every full.  DS seems contented after he eats and he can go 2+ hours before eating again but I just don't know.  Anyone know of any good ways to increase your supply? 

I want DH to be able to feed the LO and feel a part of things and because I had to do some pumping at the beginning already DS doesn't have an issue going back and forth between bottle and b**b.  I'm just not sure there is enough!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

LLLE-- If the baby is satisfied and gaining normally you are producing enough milk. You're just one of the lucky ones who doesn't get engorged between feedings! As the baby gets older the time between feedings increases -- every 2 hours (that is to say, you nurse for about 20 minutes per breast and then rest for about 50 minutes) is standard through the first 2 weeks, and after that the feedings space out and you might find yourself getting engorged.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

llle~

The LC I spoke to a week after ds was born had me start pumping 10 min on each side after each feeding to increase supply bc mine wasn't coming in strong.  I just recently started pumping again to start saving up milk for after maternity leave but its hard b/c it takes time and its hard to pump and take care of him at the same time!  

I would love if dh fed ds a bottle each night but I worry that supply would go down a little b/c of it.  It also seems like ds is never satisfied w just the bottle, no matter how much we give him!

Dh just got home so going to pump now!  ha! :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Everyone's schedule and body is different.  You'll have to experiment to see what works for you.  I was lucky and never had supply issues.  I would set my alarm to pump before she woke up, then feed her, then go to work, and then pump at lunch, then feed her right when I got her at day care (sometimes I'd sit right there and feed her before leaving), feed on demand until bedtime and pump at night after she had gone to bed.

One thing: you DEFINITELY want to practice introducing the bottle to your baby NOW.  We waited until 4 weeks old and she was already hell-bent on only accepting the genuine article, no fake nipples allowed.  It was a long few weeks of crying baby and guilt-ridden mom trying to introduce her to the bottle of breast milk.  Not every baby is like that but ours was.  The good news is she got used to it eventually and all was well.  You might do well to avoid those 2 weeks of misery, though. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Another suggestion that I've heard about introducing the bottle is that if you plan to combine nursing and bottle feeding, mom should not be the one introducing the bottle.  Then baby will know early that when you eat with mom, it will be by breast, and when someone else feeds you it will be by bottle.  Also a great way to get dads, siblings, grandparents, etc involved in feeding! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping:
    [QUOTE]One thing: you DEFINITELY want to practice introducing the bottle to your baby NOW.  We waited until 4 weeks old and she was already hell-bent on only accepting the genuine article, no fake nipples allowed.  It was a long few weeks of crying baby and guilt-ridden mom trying to introduce her to the bottle of breast milk.  Not every baby is like that but ours was.  The good news is she got used to it eventually and all was well.  You might do well to avoid those 2 weeks of misery, though. 
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]
    Our daughter NEVER took a bottle. 6 months of misery!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Good point, LuvRIboy!  Although I clean and fill every single bottle for DD I have never once fed her the bottle.  My DD is VERY easy going, but I've read some moms can't even be in the same room with their LO when a bottle is being given!!   My DH secretly loves giving her a bottle though he complains it takes so long.  Yeah, as if nursing is such a quick experience! 

Lissa, I am surprised to read your LO was fighting the bottle at only 4 weeks old!  I thought at 4 weeks they are open to new things.  Just goes to show you every experience is different.  We also introduced the bottle at 4 weeks and had no problems whatsoever!  I guess we were just lucky!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Poppy, the pumped milk would be the next feeding so that it was a substitute feeding.  She was eating every 2-2.5 hours or so.  It only took about 5 minutes for me to pump a bottle so she could hang out in the swing or with Daddy while I pumped.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Good point, LuvRIboy!  Although I clean and fill every single bottle for DD I have never once fed her the bottle.  My DD is VERY easy going, but I've read some moms can't even be in the same room with their LO when a bottle is being given!!   My DH secretly loves giving her a bottle though he complains it takes so long.  Yeah, as if nursing is such a quick experience!  Lissa, I am surprised to read your LO was fighting the bottle at only 4 weeks old!  I thought at 4 weeks they are open to new things.  Just goes to show you every experience is different.  We also introduced the bottle at 4 weeks and had no problems whatsoever!  I guess we were just lucky!

Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE] I know!  We started at 4 weeks per the doctor's recommendation.  He said it wasn't too soon so she wouldn't get lazy and go for the bottle instead of the breast (apparently it's a lot less work for the baby to drink from a bottle?) and not too late.  Apparently it was too late for her.  She took it eventually, but it was rough for a while. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks again everyone.  DS doesn't seem to have any issue going back and forth between bottle and breast and he doesn't really eat a lot.  He eats for 10 min per side if I'm lucky sometimes he just wants it fast so he feeds for like 5 min it slows down and he gets fussy so I switch him to the other side.  Sometimes I then go back again.  He does seem to be gaining weight but I will know for sure at his 1 month (gasp! it goes so fast and slow at the same time) next week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

LLLE, hope everything is going well for you.

I'll second the advice on the breast feeding support - it has made such a difference for me. Also, I wish I had thought of Luv's suggestion of bottle for everyone but mom, I guess it's a little late now.

Two suggestions that have worked for me is to pump WHILE nursing, or pump for ten minutes after nursing. For me, leaking is a big problem so I often have to pump while nursing. The pumped milk goes into the fridge for DH's 2 AM feeding (thank you DH for five hours of sleep! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

ML - sounds like you have a good supply!  I am starting to pump for 10 mins after nursing.  Sometimes lately though he only nurses on one side and I'm wondering if I should pump it or not.  I know not to compare myself to others but when you do pump how much do you get?  How many ounces does your LO get at the 2am bottle?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lobstahsaurus. Show lobstahsaurus's posts

I also started pumping right away due to my son's latch issues and never had an issue with a supply (other than having too much).  I was petrified that I wouldn't have enough when I went back to work, so I started my supply early.  I would recommend pumping while nursing (pumping on one side while the baby nurses on the other, difficult to manage, but not impossible with practice; pumping right after a nursing feeding (and this will be the good fatty hindmilk, so you might not need as much when you are feeding him from a bottle); or if you have a good supply, pumping for the first few minutes of the feeding and then nursing.  Your supply is greatest earliest in the morning (like 4:30- 5:30 am) so that is a great time to pump as well, especially if you are one of the lucky ones who has a child that sleeps then.  Know that your body will react to demand, so if you add a pumping session in, your body will adjust and make more milk to accommodate this and the times that you nurse.  If your son is content and gaining weight, I am sure you have a completely adequate supply, however, as I said, if you want to increase supply - nurse more often your body does respond to the demand. 

Both the La Leche League and Kelly mom are great resources. I recommend a LLL meeting but they both have great info on their websites.
     http://www.llli.org/nb.html
    http://kellymom.com

Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh - ok - thanks for explaining Lost!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

When I pump (at least this week) I am getting between 3-4 ounces per breast every 3 hours. My goal is 5 per breast per pump by the time I go back to work in November  that might not be realistic.

I noticed DD will have a growth spurt (at 2 weeks, 5 weeks) and will be fussy and hungry for a couple of days while my supply increases and then my body manages to provide what she needed.

But don't stress and compare yourself. I was doing the same thing and stressing about how much and how often. My LC and support group recommended I just "free range" and relax for a week, feed on demand whenever, directly from the breast and not worry about it. It helped relax me, and in turn it relaxed DD and increased my supply when I went back to pumping.

I'm home on leave and I go to the breast feeding support group every week, not so much for trouble shooting at this point, but just to be reassured by the LC and other new moms. It makes a huge difference (plus, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment to get dressed and out of the house on time for something!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]When I pump (at least this week) I am getting between 3-4 ounces per breast every 3 hours. My goal is 5 per breast per pump by the time I go back to work in November  that might not be realistic.
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    That's a LOT. When I was at work I did about 3 oz per breast twice a day. Don't forget that as your baby gets older it will feed less and your output will decrease.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Yeah, I don't think I ever got 5 per breast. I pumped 3X a day at work, and I might have gotten 2.5 per side first pump, then 2oz. then 1-1.5for the final pump. At her hungriest, DD was taking 12 - 14 oz. per day at daycare, and I was averaging 10 -12 oz pumping, so I would try for at least one pumping session per day on weekends to make up. (I had gotten about 2 weeks ahead when she was smaller, so that also helped.) Once she was 6 months and started solid foods her milk intake decreased a bit, so I was able to keep up.

My point is, don't be too disapointed if you get less as the day goes on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

If your generally worried about the baby getting enough to eat, I can't recommend getting a baby scale enough.  They're something like $50 on amazon and having it really helped me feel better about DD's weight gain.  You can weigh your LO before and after a feed to know just how much s/he is taking.  I would also say that if you're worried about pumping enough when you go back to work, don't worry too much because it's hard to tell just how much you will pump when you are separated from LO vs. how much you can pump after or between feedings when you are nursing 24 hrs. 

Does that make sense?  I'll give you an example.  In my case, I first started pumping for DD's evening feeding (around 8-10pm).  I'd only pump about 2.5 - 3oz, so I was a little freaked about that, especially when I could see by weighing her she'd sometimes take 4 oz directly from the breast.  Then when I talked to the LC at my support group she recommended pumping in the morning rather than evening because (as others have said) your supply in the morning is better than evening.  So I started pumping after DD's 10am-ish feeding and would get more like 5oz - after she fed!!!  I was amazed at the difference. 

Now that I'm back at work I pump 3X a day while at work and usually get about 6-8oz with the first session, 4-5oz with the second, and 3-4oz with the third. so I usually get about 15-16oz total which is more than enough to make three 5oz bottles for DD while at daycare.  And that covers my DD's needs... at least for now! 

That said, of course every LO is different.  One of my friends, her DS was taking 8 -8oz bottles a day (!!) and she was "only" pumping 6 oz at a time so she couldn't keep up with him!!  Insane!!

HTH!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

There's also a difference between foremilk and hindmilk -- foremilk is more fatty, and hindmilk provides more hydration.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

My friend's dad is a pediatrician and as a favor, he consulted with another friend about her BFing problems as her own pedi had basically said throw in the towel and switch to formula.  Part of his advice:  Go eat some McDonalds (basically, bulk up on the fat intake)