Breastfeeding and Pumping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping

In Response to Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping:
    [QUOTE]There's also a difference between foremilk and hindmilk -- foremilk is more fatty, and hindmilk provides more hydration.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

What are foremilk and hindmilk?  Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

When you are BFing the milk at the start of a session (the foremilk) is different from the milk at the end (hindmilk). And for the record I thought it was opposite lemon - the hindmilk was the fattier stuff?
    Breastmilk is definitely influenced by diet, I would notice that the color would change, as would the fat content, based on what I ate. I must have been eating a lot of fatty foods, because my milk had a lot of fat. Must have been the ice cream habit I never kicked from pregnancy :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Breastfeeding and Pumping:
    [QUOTE]When you are BFing the milk at the start of a session (the foremilk) is different from the milk at the end (hindmilk). And for the record I thought it was opposite lemon - the hindmilk was the fattier stuff? Breastmilk is definitely influenced by diet, I would notice that the color would change, as would the fat content, based on what I ate. I must have been eating a lot of fatty foods, because my milk had a lot of fat. Must have been the ice cream habit I never kicked from pregnancy :-)
    Posted by amy-lynn[/QUOTE]
    ha ha, I'm sorry, I turned it around!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I will find out tomorrow how much LO has gained since our last appt. which I think will make me feel better.  I did start going to a bfing group but the scale was broken and then last week we went away for the weekend so I didn't get to go.  I don't know why I'm stressing so much about it LO is happy and content and not crying out for more to eat. 

The past two days I have pumped for 10 min in the morning after LO has nursed and I got 2 oz. both times combined...is that about normal after LO has eaten? 

I heard from a friend that eating oatmeal helps increase milk production..anyone else ever heard this?  I really need to stop being so crazy about this!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We started bottles at 4 weeks and it went fine but then at 6 weeks she changed her mind and would accept No Imitations!  Now at 9 weeks she is doing much better with the bottles, but not perfect.  She's better with her dad than with other people like grandparents.
    The absolute best advice I got about taking the bottle was to get it really, really warm.  We were getting it sort of lukewarm, but now we microwave the water before putting the bottle of b-milk in to warm.  (Then obviously check it for safety!)  Then my husband even sets it back in the warm water if she takes a break or he needs to burp her.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given that I get so overheated when nursing!
    I also agree that it's hard not to stress about times and quantities, but I guess that if the baby's not upset, I shouldn't be upset!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I just took a class on Pumping yesterday that answers some of these questions.  You can add newly pumped milk to milk that is refrigerated.  However, you don't want to store too many oz. together because you don't want to waste milk when you prepare a bottle.  It was suggested to refrigerate/freeze no more than 5 oz. maximum at a time.  If your DS will drink the milk straight from the fridge, there is no need to heat it.  Breastmilk can be at room temp. for 6-7 hours; it doesn't matter if it was previously refrigerated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

The BFing group I go to said you can add milk to older containers (bag/bottle whichever) but you have to go by the earliest date when storing.  So if you add milk today to a bag from yesterday you have to stick with yesterdays date when paying attention to how long you can keep it before having to chuck it.

My understanding is that the 6-7 hours is leaving it out after pumping it.  But I don't see why it wouldn't apply out of the fridge..I may just ask that tomorrow! DH never remembers to heat up the milk for Mitch so he gets it cold and doesn't seem to mind it but it may be that he was just that hungry!

I was wondering if you have milk in the fridge and it gets to like day 8 can you then pop it in the freezer?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Its through Isis (www.isismaternity.com). If you're not a member ist $29.  It was one of the best parenting classes that I've taken.  The instructor tailors the class to members questions and there is a packet you'll receive beforehand that has the ins and outs of pumping.  I highly recommend it if you can make it. 

Sections
Shortcuts